Windows Home Server FAQ

Hey guys just wondering if there was a way to back up my server onto an external harddrive or make a virtualized copy of my server onto it?

You can use the server backup feature to backup data on shares to external drives (or internal ones not added to the WHS drive pool). Backing up the system partition is not supported if that's what you meant. There are a number of posts on various WHS forums where people have used drive imaging/Raid 1 on the system drive with varying degrees of success.

You can use the server backup feature to backup data on shares to external drives (or internal ones not added to the WHS drive pool). Backing up the system partition is not supported if that's what you meant. There are a number of posts on various WHS forums where people have used drive imaging/Raid 1 on the system drive with varying degrees of success.

an links? I'm doing this for the first time dont/cant mess up :confused:

FYI post. I been using WHS for about 2 months now or so. One thing I have noticed is when I first built mine, I had a ton of old drives in it. I started with 3 sata 500 gigs, 2 sata 250 gigs, and a bunch of older IDE drives. I removed the IDE drives asap in the name of speed, but left the older Sata drives in there a bit longer. Now I cant say if it was because theyre older drives, or the way WHS balances data, I personally think it was a mix of both, but in the end, all 5 of the older Sata drives pretty much got thrashed. The result was a lot of file conflicts, and general pain in the arse. I recommend buying a couple newer drives to save yourself the headeaches. This is just been my personal observation, others may have different experiences, but I figured its better to be warned before you cram a ton of drives in a case, only to have to yank em out later.

would also like to know this
I got an Intel Intel PWLA8391GT 10/100/1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 $26.99 Newegg.OEM no driver. Installed to WHS. Used motherboard NIC to go online and it found, downloaded, and installed the driver (driver said "Pro/1000" driver). Works perfectly. WHS now noticably faster than with onboard (Atheros) 100MBs

I tried to view the files in the back ups that I have.

I get to 81% and it then gives me an error saying it cannot mount the back up.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

I tried to view the files in the back ups that I have.

I get to 81% and it then gives me an error saying it cannot mount the back up.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

If your WHS software is updated to PP2, you shouldn't be getting that error.

I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Is there a way I can use my Windows Home Server and put video files on it and then, somehow, be able to send a link or whatever so that a family member somewhere can view the file?

Anyone else that converted to Windows 7 having any backup issues? I did a clean install on my XP pc that has worked fine with WHS. When I connected it to WHS with the connector software I used my existing account but deleted the old computer backups.

Under Windows 7 it is stalling between 51% and 73% randomly (this could be the variation in the amount of programs I've installed since re-doing the pc). Something is killing the network connection during the backup process and I have to go through the network troubleshooter to get the connection back. But I can't get a backup to successfully finish. I can be online for hours and hours with no issues otherwise, just the WHS backup is killing the network.

This is using the onboard connection on an Asus P5E-VM HDMI. Initially I used the Win7 auto-installed drivers, then the ones from Asus, then from Atheros that do the LAN chipset. I've played with the power management settings to keep from Win7 hibernating the network and the management settings for the chipset itself to no avail. I've tried to backup while using the computer too in case it was still trying to hibernate via some other avenue like screen saver (which is also disabled).

Is there some trick I missed when (re)connecting a pc to WHS, or is this Win7 specific?

[LYL]Homer;1034831622 said:
Anyone else that converted to Windows 7 having any backup issues? I did a clean install on my XP pc that has worked fine with WHS. When I connected it to WHS with the connector software I used my existing account but deleted the old computer backups.

Under Windows 7 it is stalling between 51% and 73% randomly (this could be the variation in the amount of programs I've installed since re-doing the pc). Something is killing the network connection during the backup process and I have to go through the network troubleshooter to get the connection back. But I can't get a backup to successfully finish. I can be online for hours and hours with no issues otherwise, just the WHS backup is killing the network.

This is using the onboard connection on an Asus P5E-VM HDMI. Initially I used the Win7 auto-installed drivers, then the ones from Asus, then from Atheros that do the LAN chipset. I've played with the power management settings to keep from Win7 hibernating the network and the management settings for the chipset itself to no avail. I've tried to backup while using the computer too in case it was still trying to hibernate via some other avenue like screen saver (which is also disabled).

Is there some trick I missed when (re)connecting a pc to WHS, or is this Win7 specific?
I have 3 machines running Windows 7 and no problems with backups.

[LYL]Homer;1034831622 said:

Are you using PP3 ?

Hello gents, I come here in distress. I have read every post in this thread and you all had convinced me to use my old box for WHS. Problem though, my D-Link DI-634M won't configure to access outside the lan. I have tried everything including DMZ the whole thing, nothing. I am not looking for somebody who has a DI-634M but somebody who has a comparable D-Link that may have a magical resolution. And yes, I have scoured the net doing everything they suggest (port forwarding, virtual server, etc...) and I am to the point where I may just pickup a new router but this one is reported to work fine simply by checking the UPnP box and the server configures it automatically (and it has been solid for the last 3 years to boot).

Thanks in advance for any help threre is out there.

Last edited:
Hello gents, I come here in distress. I have read every post in this thread and you all had convinced me to use my old box for WHS. Problem though, my D-Link DI-634M won't configure to access outside the lan. I have tried everything including DMZ the whole thing, nothing. I am not looking for somebody who has a DI-634M but somebody who has a comparable D-Link that may have a magical resolution. And yes, I have scoured the net doing everything they suggest (port forwarding, virtual server, etc...) and I am to the point where I may just pickup a new router but this one is reported to work fine simply by checking the UPnP box and the server configures it automatically (and it has been solid for the last 3 years to boot).

Thanks in advance for any help threre is out there.

If its in the DMZ then its not your router

Thanks guys. The link let me know that my ISP is blocking port 80 which is no biggie, I can just run around with https if need be. I had a friend hop on it and mess with it a little to make sure it was accesible. Looks like the router will be around a little longer.

Thanks again gents.

Thanks guys. The link let me know that my ISP is blocking port 80 which is no biggie, I can just run around with https if need be. I had a friend hop on it and mess with it a little to make sure it was accesible. Looks like the router will be around a little longer.

Thanks again gents.

My ISP blocks port 80 as well. Been running https with no problems.

this may have been answered, but I didn't see it.

I have completed my new WHS and plan on giving my old one to my parents. They are in La and I'm in Ga. Would I be able to do a remote desktop connection to the server to do any updates or maintenance. I know I do this with Server 2003 on some contractors machines from work, just didn't know if WHS worked the same.

Once in the RDP, I should be able to open the WHS Console and work if needed, correct? I can do that now on my home network.

I have completed my new WHS and plan on giving my old one to my parents. They are in La and I'm in Ga. Would I be able to do a remote desktop connection to the server to do any updates or maintenance. I know I do this with Server 2003 on some contractors machines from work, just didn't know if WHS worked the same.

Once in the RDP, I should be able to open the WHS Console and work if needed, correct? I can do that now on my home network.

You can do two things:
1) Run a VPN to access the remote server securely through RDP and access the WHS console from there. I have had success running Hamachi on server OS's, its free and point-to-point (with mediation) and AES-256
2) Run a Dynamic DNS service to track the dynamic IP address of your parents house, and either open ports (UNsecure) or work with an SSH tunnel or management of that router to allow only you access when needed. (Bonus: if you have a static IP you can allow access only from your IP or subnet)

Option 1 is best for security and ease ;)

Last edited:

This addon: http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/07/to-desktop/ lets you minimize the dashboard and get to the servers desktop. You'll need remote access website setup.

I'm having a problem with my WHS. On occasion when I cut and paste a file from my desktop to a WHS share it kills the ethernet on the WHS. The server will lose all internet connectivity and it will not come back until I reboot. Only on the rare cut and paste. Never on a copy and paste.

I was just trying to do a remote desktop connection to WHS and again, same thing. As soon as I hit connect on the desktop the servers ethernet instantly shuts down and I have to reboot.

Any ideas?

Edit - onboard NIC must have crapped out. It's wierd when they don't die completely and some things still work. I didn't want to have to use that slot with a discrete NIC but that's my only option now. At least it fixed the problem.

Last edited:
So now that I can remote into the server i'm finding that it won't show me my actual current desktop.
I have the server currently connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse. When I log in on my desktop remotely i'm not see the same screen as on my server. I have several apps set to startup and I need to remote in an administrate those apps.

For example, I have Juice auto start which is a podcast downloading app. It's open on my server and I can see it on it's monitor. When I remote in from the desktop that screen is not open. When I try to launch it, it tells me another instance is already open. Ok, well, how do I see that? I need to interact with the current window for that app.

Last edited:
So now that I can remote into the server i'm finding that it won't show me my actual current desktop.
I have the server currently connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse. When I log in on my desktop remotely i'm not see the same screen as on my server. I have several apps set to startup and I need to remote in an administrate those apps.

For example, I have Juice auto start which is a podcast downloading app. It's open on my server and I can see it on it's monitor. When I remote in from the desktop that screen is not open. When I try to launch it, it tells me another instance is already open. Ok, well, how do I see that? I need to interact with the current window for that app.

I run into this too.

Its because server 2003 is allowing more than one instance of the same user account to load and coexist at the same time. I've been trying to figure out how to make it remote desktop like XP where there is only ONE instance per user. So if I log on remotely it logs me off locally and the other way round.

If that makes sense.

I run into this too.

Its because server 2003 is allowing more than one instance of the same user account to load and coexist at the same time. I've been trying to figure out how to make it remote desktop like XP where there is only ONE instance per user. So if I log on remotely it logs me off locally and the other way round.

If that makes sense.

I'd also like it to NOT log me off when I close the connection. I need these apps to keep running.

I'd also like it to NOT log me off when I close the connection. I need these apps to keep running.

console into your server. go to start -> run. type in: mstsc /console
it'll open the rdp connection. login as you would normally do, and when you're done, just close the rdp session window by clicking "x", it'll keep all your running apps as you're 'disconnecting' instead of logging off.

I'm having a problem with my WHS. On occasion when I cut and paste a file from my desktop to a WHS share it kills the ethernet on the WHS. The server will lose all internet connectivity and it will not come back until I reboot. Only on the rare cut and paste. Never on a copy and paste.

I was just trying to do a remote desktop connection to WHS and again, same thing. As soon as I hit connect on the desktop the servers ethernet instantly shuts down and I have to reboot.

Any ideas?

Edit - onboard NIC must have crapped out. It's wierd when they don't die completely and some things still work. I didn't want to have to use that slot with a discrete NIC but that's my only option now.

I would also check your switch. I had something similar happening to me while back and it was driving me nuts - I thought it was the nic on the server as well, but turned out that my switch was dying... I had one of those linksys gigabit switches that overheated a lot..

I would also check your switch. I had something similar happening to me while back and it was driving me nuts - I thought it was the nic on the server as well, but turned out that my switch was dying... I had one of those linksys gigabit switches that overheated a lot..

I added a new NIC and problem solved. The problem was just to the server. No other computer on my network.

console into your server. go to start -> run. type in: mstsc /console
it'll open the rdp connection. login as you would normally do, and when you're done, just close the rdp session window by clicking "x", it'll keep all your running apps as you're 'disconnecting' instead of logging off.

I do that exact thing when I remote into my HTPC but it always logs me out. Doesn't do that on my server though. Strange

So any thoughts on getting it to show me my current active desktop when I remote into WHS?

So any thoughts on getting it to show me my current active desktop when I remote into WHS?

Completely log off of any current session(s), and console in and lauch all your apps. After you disconnect and console in afterward, it should always log you into the current desktop. :)

Is there a solid defrag utility for WHS?

I've read where using the MS one is not recommended. Since I'm pretty new to the WHS gig, I figured I'd ask here...

I've been noticing some network performance slowdowns, and am not sure where they're coming from. Figuring a defrag wouldn't hurt anyway.

Is there a solid defrag utility for WHS?

I've read where using the MS one is not recommended. Since I'm pretty new to the WHS gig, I figured I'd ask here...

I've been noticing some network performance slowdowns, and am not sure where they're coming from. Figuring a defrag wouldn't hurt anyway.

there is perfectdisk and diskeeper

Completely log off of any current session(s), and console in and lauch all your apps. After you disconnect and console in afterward, it should always log you into the current desktop. :)

Yes, that works. I just wish I could have a desktop that is the same no matter who logs in. So that way I can auto start my apps.

I had my sever set to auto login and start these apps. Using your method I can't do the auto login. And I have to remote in after every boot up to start those apps. Maybe not a huge deal unless a power glitch causes the server to reboot and I would not now those apps are not running.

I set utorrent to run as a service but it didn't work properly. The other apps I can't run as a service.

Back