Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) AMD gpu XFX MERC 308 RX 6600 XT

Looking for ideas on a cause/fix for this. Have searched the forum before posting.

Everything was working fine before now and all I did was change the receiver from a Yamaha RX V663 which is a good 30yrs old to a Yamaha RX V-385 which is brand new. Ran DDU and installed the latest driver. No luck.
Any ideas? Tried different hdmi cables as well.
Just got new higher end hdmi cables and no change.
Same issue when connecting straight to the tv which is a RCA 65 inch curved UHD tv.

EDIT: all works as it should when using the old yamaha. As soon as I switch to the newer one, the driver fails. Also happens if I go direct to the tv.

Last edited:
try flipping error detection and hdmi link assurance on/off in radeon settings.

did you turn it on? error detection is under settings>system, at the bottom

Code 43 is a pretty common error. I had it once and used the "fix" to do it. Then I later re-did the bios and fixed it for good.

The bigger frustration is why is yours acting funny. What card are you running and where did you get it? It may have a bios issue, especially if was mining card in a prior life.

Code 43 is a pretty common error. I had it once and used the "fix" to do it. Then I later re-did the bios and fixed it for good.

The bigger frustration is why is yours acting funny. What card are you running and where did you get it? It may have a bios issue, especially if was mining card in a prior life.

Crap, sorry about that. It's an XFX RX 6600 XT. Brand new, not used. Bought earlier in 2022. Bought from memory express.

Crap, sorry about that. It's an XFX RX 6600 XT. Brand new, not used. Bought earlier in 2022. Bought from memory express.
mem-ex?! are you a fellow canuckistani?

psu is the recommended 750w? any control programs installed, like afterburner? tried other ports, if you can?

mem-ex?! are you a fellow canuckistani?

psu is the recommended 750w? any control programs installed, like afterburner? tried other ports, if you can?

I live in London, ON.
Psup is 850w. No 3rd party apps at all in regards to anything related other than software for my mouse.

ah cool. theres a couple others from onarible here too. im out in 'berta. welcome to [H] btw.
double check the pcie cable is plugged in good and tight. you could install afterburner and up the power a bit to see if some extra juice helps. got a dp to hdmi adapter? got another system to test it in?

ah cool. theres a couple others from onarible here too. im out in 'berta. welcome to [H] btw.
double check the pcie cable is plugged in good and tight. you could install afterburner and up the power a bit to see if some extra juice helps. got a dp to hdmi adapter? got another system to test it in?
I reseated all cables & also tried the other slot. If the power consumption is default or full strength, no go.
Doesn't matter which Radeon driver I try either.

i guess take it to memex and ask them to test it on a 4k

I did take the whole pc there and they plugged into their monitor, no idea on specs, but it worked as it should. Was using the monitor the tech guy uses at the main station that also has the pos unit.

got a spare drive to throw a test windows install on?
otherwise, list that all out and send it to xfx. see what they say.

Ok, am just now realizing that this card has a dual bios.
And that did not make a difference.
For reference, I am using the XFX MERC 308 version of the RX 6600 XT.

Last edited:
Ok, am just now realizing that this card has a dual bios.
And that did not make a difference.
For reference, I am using the XFX MERC 308 version of the RX 6600 XT.
well dang, that was going to be my next suggestion...try to flip the switch.

ok ok, so a series of thoughts...

You have your PC, and from there you are going HDMI into the receiver HDMI in, right? Which one? In the receiver menu's what sort of configurations do they have for the separate inputs? Like scaling and what not?

next thought...

How many outputs does the receiver have?

As for the display, what about a different display? Perhaps the display is sending something back the RX 6600xt doesn't like.

Have you checked out avsforum.com? there should be an owners section there for that model of receiver. Maybe there is some info there.

well dang, that was going to be my next suggestion...try to flip the switch.

ok ok, so a series of thoughts...

You have your PC, and from there you are going HDMI into the receiver HDMI in, right? Which one? In the receiver menu's what sort of configurations do they have for the separate inputs? Like scaling and what not?

next thought...

How many outputs does the receiver have?

As for the display, what about a different display? Perhaps the display is sending something back the RX 6600xt doesn't like.

Have you checked out avsforum.com? there should be an owners section there for that model of receiver. Maybe there is some info there.

PC to receiver via HDMI to the IN 2 HDMI port also labeled as DTV/Cable. Then from the HDMI out port to the tv.
I never got the chance to dig into the receiver much as I was sort of lead to think my card my be fooked, so I took it back. Just bought it Saturday and took it back the next day.
Just one HDMI output.
Card seems to work fine when plugged into a monitor. But I don't have one here to test with.
Last thing I tried was running AMD's own cleaning utility. Shutting down and reconnecting straight to the tv and with windows update disabled, did a fresh install. During the install, windows killed the driver with the same error code 43.

Last edited:
Could be an HDMI handshake issue... The old receiver is HDMI 1.3a, which is only 10.2 Gbps and doesn't support 4k. The new tv is 4k.

And, you mentioned that directly connecting to the TV you still experience the issue. Which rules out the receivers as a cause. Which leaves the card, hdmi cables, and tv. It could be a driver issue as well (part of the card).

I would recommend getting a higher bitrate HDMI cable, especially if the cables you have are the same age as the receiver (2008). The receivers' HDMI is old enough that it probably causes both the source and the display to use an older HDCP handshake protocol and/or cause the card/tv to negotiate a lower bitrate connection. So it works when the card and TV are forced to use old HDMI 1.3a.

I use Zeskit 8K HDMI cables from Amazon, and they solved a picture quality issue a friend had when he got a new tv. You might also try setting an FPS cap if the drivers allow that, set 60Hz.

Could be an HDMI handshake issue... The old receiver is HDMI 1.3a, which is only 10.2 Gbps and doesn't support 4k. The new tv is 4k.

And, you mentioned that directly connecting to the TV you still experience the issue. Which rules out the receivers as a cause. Which leaves the card, hdmi cables, and tv. It could be a driver issue as well (part of the card).

I would recommend getting a higher bitrate HDMI cable, especially if the cables you have are the same age as the receiver (2008). The receivers' HDMI is old enough that it probably causes both the source and the display to use an older HDCP handshake protocol and/or cause the card/tv to negotiate a lower bitrate connection. So it works when the card and TV are forced to use old HDMI 1.3a.

I use Zeskit 8K HDMI cables from Amazon, and they solved a picture quality issue a friend had when he got a new tv. You might also try setting an FPS cap if the drivers allow that, set 60Hz.

When I first got the receiver saturday and saw that error, I went back and got high end hdmi cables and still had the same results.
As for drivers, I tried 2 from amd & one 3rd party driver. All had the same issue.
Both the card & the tv are 4k compatible, yet they will not work together when directly connected.

Got an email back from AMD on this and they said to reset the cmos and reseat the card.
Only problem with this, is I can't get back into the bios to reset things as this bios doesn't like tvs. Won't load properly.
This changed nothing anyways.

Last edited:
Got an email back from AMD on this and they said to reset the cmos and reseat the card.
Only problem with this, is I can't get back into the bios to reset things as this bios doesn't like tvs. Won't load properly.
youve hit th epoint you need another system and a monitor to test this properly. of course amd just has you jumping hoops, xfx is responsible for your support. email them.

youve hit th epoint you need another system and a monitor to test this properly. of course amd just has you jumping hoops, xfx is responsible for your support. email them.
Yamaha mentioned HDCP settings. So I disabled this within radeon but no luck.

Now, I didn't try the new cable with the HDCP setting in the radeon settings turned off. Would that make a difference?

I suggest updating the motherboard bios.

What version of firmware is the V385 running?
The Yamaha site is listing 1.10 as the correct version and the internet lists it as fixing some HDMI compatibility issues.

What version of firmware is the V385 running?
The Yamaha site is listing 1.10 as the correct version and the internet lists it as fixing some HDMI compatibility issues.

I did keep the new one for long as I was sort of lead to think that my card was dead. So I went to memory express to check out new cards, eventually brought my pc there and they plugged it into their monitor and it worked. So now I'm trying to find out why this won't work when connecting straight to the 4k tv. This card is the XFX Speedster MERC 308 RX 6600 XT.

I did keep the new one for long as I was sort of lead to think that my card was dead. So I went to memory express to check out new cards, eventually brought my pc there and they plugged it into their monitor and it worked. So now I'm trying to find out why this won't work when connecting straight to the 4k tv. This card is the XFX Speedster MERC 308 RX 6600 XT.
OH I misunderstood I thought you were going from PC to Yamaha to TV, but you are direct PC to TV and it still causes the error.
What TV? I have had some cases where I have needed to play with the CEC settings on the TV to fix their signal I/O to prevent issues.

OH I misunderstood I thought you were going from PC to Yamaha to TV, but you are direct PC to TV and it still causes the error.
What TV? I have had some cases where I have needed to play with the CEC settings on the TV to fix their signal I/O to prevent issues.
I was originally going pc to new receiver to tv, til I thought the card was dead. So I took it back. Now when trying to connect to the same tv directly, it causes the same error.
https://rca-televisions.com/product/rtuc6520

stop talking about the receiver, he returned it. read the thread, ffs...
mobo bios isnt going to help either.

yes id try a new cable and flipping everything suggested on/off testing inbetwee.

stop talking about the receiver, he returned it. read the thread, ffs...
mobo bios isnt going to help either.

yes id try a new cable and flipping everything suggested on/off testing inbetwee.
I have ultra hi speed hdcp compliant hdmi cables coming tomorrow. if I can get this resolved with the tv, I'll get the receiver again.

Back