Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) AMD gpu XFX MERC 308 RX 6600 XT

Ok so my video card is not running at x16 as it should when in the top slot. May be due to the M.2 drive that is my os drive.

Could be an HDMI handshake issue... The old receiver is HDMI 1.3a, which is only 10.2 Gbps and doesn't support 4k. The new tv is 4k.

And, you mentioned that directly connecting to the TV you still experience the issue. Which rules out the receivers as a cause. Which leaves the card, hdmi cables, and tv. It could be a driver issue as well (part of the card).

I would recommend getting a higher bitrate HDMI cable, especially if the cables you have are the same age as the receiver (2008). The receivers' HDMI is old enough that it probably causes both the source and the display to use an older HDCP handshake protocol and/or cause the card/tv to negotiate a lower bitrate connection. So it works when the card and TV are forced to use old HDMI 1.3a.

I use Zeskit 8K HDMI cables from Amazon, and they solved a picture quality issue a friend had when he got a new tv. You might also try setting an FPS cap if the drivers allow that, set 60Hz.
I bought that same cable and it changed nothing.

If your system works fine with a similar monitor, it could be that your TV's HDMI 2.0 EDID is corrupt.

Your TV has an EDID switch option in its Setup menu. When connected to your old receiver, Auto should result in HDMI 1.4. When directly connected to your 6600xt, Auto should result in HDMI 2.0.
Your system should see these two settings as two different devices. Try toggling this setting manually and see what happens.

If your TV's EDID option really only switches the EDID presented to the system, you may be able to work around the issue by selecting the HDMI 1.4 EDID on the TV and using CRU to override it manually.

If your system works fine with a similar monitor, it could be that your TV's HDMI 2.0 EDID is corrupt.

Your TV has an EDID switch option in its Setup menu. When connected to your old receiver, Auto should result in HDMI 1.4. When directly connected to your 6600xt, Auto should result in HDMI 2.0.
Your system should see these two settings as two different devices. Try toggling this setting manually and see what happens.

If your TV's EDID option really only switches the EDID presented to the system, you may be able to work around the issue by selecting the HDMI 1.4 EDID on the TV and using CRU to override it manually.
i would second trying this^^^ i looked through the manual looking for something like that but mine is called hdmi standard/enhanced mode and didnt see that...

I had already tried the EDID setting on the RCA tv and it made the screen go all weird. So I switched it back to 1.4. 2.0 kinda looks like stretched wide mode.
So I tried CRU and got windows to set 1920x1080 as recommended and not the 720x480 that it was prior. I am currently plugged into the tv and the driver has not crashed. Just need to test how to get better resolutions so I can see if the card/tv can do up to 4k.
That seems to be above my skill level. LOL I need help with trying to set higher resolutions. I tried the tv's native res but it won't load.
EDIT again: now that I have used cru to fix the recommended res and having it fix the driver killing when directly connected, I have now set the tv to edid 2.0 without any issues.
Quick rundown; when connected to the old receiver, the res recommended in windows display settings was 720x480. When switching to edid 2.0, the screen went weird.
Now using cru, display settings have 1920x1080 recommended and edid 2.0 works normal and no driver crashing when directly connected to the tv.
So now I just need to find out how to set higher reses using cru to get upwards of 4k.

Last edited:
Ok, while I have gotten the driver to not crash when directly connected to the tv, I cannot seem to set any other res using cru. I need help.

Select the active monitor in CRU. Under Detailed Resolutions, add 3840x2160 60Hz with CVT-RB timings and make sure it is the topmost on the list. Click ok and restart if prompted to. Fire up CRU again and verify the new mode is still there. Finally, attempt to switch to the new resolution.

Select the active monitor in CRU. Under Detailed Resolutions, add 3840x2160 60Hz with CVT-RB timings and make sure it is the topmost on the list. Click ok and restart if prompted to. Fire up CRU again and verify the new mode is still there. Finally, attempt to switch to the new resolution.
Tried that, when I restart the driver, it makes the sound of something getting unplugged. Then loads 1920x1080 with no higher option in display settings. it is still listed in cru.

Bummer.

If you haven't already, you may want to try all the different HDMI inputs on the TV. Sometimes only one of them is actually HDMI 2.0 capable.

Beyond this, it's probably not worth moving forward until you can confirm the following:
  • The 6600xt can output 4k60 4:4:4 to a different display via HDMI 2.0.
  • Your TV can handle a 4k60 4:4:4 input from another device.

Bummer.

If you haven't already, you may want to try all the different HDMI inputs on the TV. Sometimes only one of them is actually HDMI 2.0 capable.

Beyond this, it's probably not worth moving forward until you can confirm the following:
  • The 6600xt can output 4k60 4:4:4 to a different display via HDMI 2.0.
  • Your TV can handle a 4k60 4:4:4 input from another device.
To confirm that, is that not what I am trying to accomplish here? By using CRU to change the resolution? If you look at the specs for this exact card, it's supposed to be able to do the 38xxX2160 res and the tv supports up to 2160p.

CRU let you test if a single, specific issue was the hangup. It wasn't, so it's time to move on.

As it turns out, the EDID was screwed up and ToastyX was able to determine what needed to be done and I am now running at 3840x2160 on the desktop and 2560x1440 ingame.

Back