Windows for Submarines

I guess the US navy submarine forces just don't know as much as a couple of guys on the internet LOLing about "Windoze" ... :rolleyes:

Let see, since I retired from the submarine service in 2004 as a FTC, and went to work for FTSCLANT (now called NSSA), I have installed/upgraded BYG-1 TI02, TI04, TI06 and TI08 systems on 688's, 688I's and SSN-21 class boats. In addition, I have done ALL the major Virginia Class Combat System modernizations to date, including the ongoing BYG-1 TI08 system we just lit off on SSN-777.

That being said, I also repair and maintain the following systems: CCS MK-1, CCS MK-1 RTI, BSY-1, CCS MK-2, CCS MK-2 RTI and BSY-2.

Nope, don't know a damn thing......

The version of WIndows used in those subs will be highly customized and as another person said, Windows does not control the weapons systems.

There has been some serious griping about this trend in industry as of late. Steve Gibson ranted about it on his Security Now podcast after finding out that there are banking ATM machines and related single-use computer systems out there running XP. His point is that using such a complex OS for such a simple purpose is not only a waste --it's a serious security vulnerability. There are plenty of purpose-built computer systems that are closed and secure by design that would do a much better job. But, the other side of the coin is that designers are much more apt to design a computer system that has easy-to-use development tools and a massive eco-system of hardware and interface options available to them. Sure, it's embarrassing to see a BSOD on an electronic billboard or at the automated ticket check-in at the airport as shown on a few snapshots on the web but seriously how many of you have seen BSOD's at all in the last few years? I'm working on flaky, home brewed PC's all day long and still it's a VERY rare thing for me to come across one. I think moving to Windows is a perfectly fine decision.

Yes that right the amercian Aegsis Missle crusiers use NT for there CCC systems. Why not-Tried and tested and it works. I think Ill give W7 a year or two before I put it on a machine I need to work with. How a operating system that 25% slower than Xp can be an improvement is beyond me !

Necro much?

There has been some serious griping about this trend in industry as of late. Steve Gibson ranted about it on his Security Now podcast after finding out that there are banking ATM machines and related single-use computer systems out there running XP. His point is that using such a complex OS for such a simple purpose is not only a waste --it's a serious security vulnerability. There are plenty of purpose-built computer systems that are closed and secure by design that would do a much better job. But, the other side of the coin is that designers are much more apt to design a computer system that has easy-to-use development tools and a massive eco-system of hardware and interface options available to them. Sure, it's embarrassing to see a BSOD on an electronic billboard or at the automated ticket check-in at the airport as shown on a few snapshots on the web but seriously how many of you have seen BSOD's at all in the last few years? I'm working on flaky, home brewed PC's all day long and still it's a VERY rare thing for me to come across one. I think moving to Windows is a perfectly fine decision.

Nice point.

The US Navy's has moved away from purpose built systems to open architected systems over the last decade or so. The primary reason was COST. It cost multi-millions of dollars to design and build a closed system, let alone the time/dollars (measured in years) to build/debug and field the system. Then you have dedicated unique spare parts that must be bought...... Moving the system, in my case Combat, from a closed, major hardware/minor software based system to minimum hardware/major software system costs less and it easier to maintain and processes data 1000X faster. A new system only takes a year or so to design and build vice 10 years.......

Back