Windows 8 Will Be Available Oct. 26th

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'll be grabbing Windows 8 when I can. $39 is too cheap to pass up, and I enjoy the Metro UI enough and have faith that people will develop apps that takes full advantage of Windows Runtime.

I'm in a position where I have to upgrade to provide support to my dimwitted end-users.

Think I will just wait for Win9, which will likely be a "fixed" version of Win8... just like Win7 corrected many of the issues in Vista. what issues in win8? dunno yet, but you can bet there is something! :D

Honestly, for some reason, Win8 just does not perk my interest like 7 did, hell, I "hosted" a Win7 release party just so I could get my Steve Ballmer signature edition win7 Ultimate disk., Attended by my wife and our dogs...

Think I will just wait for Win9, which will likely be a "fixed" version of Win8... just like Win7 corrected many of the issues in Vista. what issues in win8? dunno yet, but you can bet there is something! :D

Honestly, for some reason, Win8 just does not perk my interest like 7 did, hell, I "hosted" a Win7 release party just so I could get my Steve Ballmer signature edition win7 Ultimate disk., Attended by my wife and our dogs...

You think windows 8 is bad by the time windows 9 comes out, it'll be customized for people using microsoft's table surface.
It'll be all the craze... forget bout pcs!!

I'll probably decide a few days before the $40 offer expires, most likely I will pick up at least 1

If I wanted a tablet OS, I'd buy a tablet. Apparently, Microsoft is no longer particularly interested in desktop users: they want the new growth segment that is handhelds.

I wonder if my long journey with MS and Windows ends now with Win 7? I guess time will tell.

sign me up for 2 , vista sucks on my laptop and w7 runs worse than xp cause i don't have the magical 3gig of ram #. It'll stretch my upgrade time a bit more.

Pick up a fast/cheap 8GB USB flash drive and setup readyboost.

I have some old P4 systems with 2GB ram & old slow IDE drives at the office. With readyboost & a cheap 8GB USB thumb drive, the systems are noticably faster running Windows 7/Office 2010 than they are running XP/Office 2003.

No, I just got all the computers in my building moved to windows 7 and have the users, mostly, adjusted to it. Maybe I'll look at a new OS 4 years down the road.

I'm still working on that & not looking forward to the last few upgrades.

The users I have left are ones who won't be able to find the start menu on Windows 7 because it's a different shape.

At this point, it looks like a downgrade. I will reconsider it after it recieves it's first service pack.

To those regurgitating the tired "afraid of change" mantra, please explain to me why windows 8 is so much fucking better than windows 7. Please also refrain from referencing how awesome it is on a tablet or how quickly it boots for 1: I don't wan't or need a tablet, and 2: I never shut my computer off.

To those regurgitating the tired "afraid of change" mantra, please explain to me why windows 8 is so much fucking better than windows 7. Please also refrain from referencing how awesome it is on a tablet or how quickly it boots for 1: I don't wan't or need a tablet, and 2: I never shut my computer off.

7.7 years here and you need someone to explain to you the features of an operating system?

wtf have you been doing? wanking in genmay the entire time?

Will probably upgrade my 4 year old WinXP Socket 775 e4500 system with a modern midrange set of components and win8, just to play with. Its the system my teenage son uses, so he'll have to suffer through it and report out.... ;)

Can't buy a decent processor upgrade for it anymore. Probably an AMD system for low-end bang/buck.

BB

I will not be "upgrading" to this. 7 suits me because I actually use my computer for more than internet. Just because it will be cheap, it does not make it good, or better than Win7.

And i'm not so simple that I need to click on Fisher-Price icons built for "cool" teenagers, that somehow look like the graphics department have time-warped back to 1995.

I am however, extremely worried about IE10 and DirectX not being available for Win7. Both products have not even seen a beta build for Win7 yet. This really makes me worry!

7.7 years here and you need someone to explain to you the features of an operating system?

wtf have you been doing? wanking in genmay the entire time?

Wow, take a chill-pill dude!

He is totally fucking right. I can't see one real benefit of this OS. I personally think it will be great for the Tablet landscape, but for a "normal" PC, its a stillborn POS.

PS, FYI I do most of my wanking in Denmark, the girls are prettier! ;)

maybe its because I'm "old" but all of the ignorant comments people are making here about not upgrading, are the same comments people have said about every release of Windows since 3.1. Does any one here remember the controversy of win95 or what about how much hell people were complaining about XP?

Nothing really against Win8, computing just fine with win7. Don't want to rebuild etc just for a new OS. I may go the win8 route at next build.

Many talk about Metro and no start menu... Though one cool thing I read is "storage spaces", essentially MS's new version of drive pooling since the depreciation of the feature in Windows Home Server a year or so back. Nice that they are including it with a desktop version of the OS instead of a slightly less flexible server version...

I ditched Windows for GNU/Linux (except for my Wintendo, but with Steam coming out for GNU/Linux, I hope to soon bring that over as well). Please tell me again how I am afraid of change?

Linux is the inverse of change. Aside from most graphical interfaces being driven by a Start button like Win95 to Win7 (fear of change) the CLI and file structure with archaic directories like "etc" or "var" have been around since Unix was first created and are a good half-century old (fear of change) so I'd say *nix types are more fearful of change than anyone else.

I'll probably decide a few days before the $40 offer expires, most likely I will pick up at least 1

This. I will watch and wait since last I heard, the offer is good until January 31, 2013 (or "when MS decides otherwise" but still, that means waiting a month or two won't be the end of the world).

won't you guys be forced to upgrade because of the next generation of directx being released only for Windows 8?

The current version is barely utilized. I doubt we will miss much even if the next version is 8 only.

Upgrading. In for one copy for sure because 8 performs so well on my laptop, and probably a second for my main rig--why not for $40?

Metro isn't much of an annoyance because I always put the laptop to sleep, and once I log back in I'm at the desktop. Presto, no Metro!

The one annoyance I have has been the same since XP, and that is toolbars. I put shortcuts to games in a folder (well, two folders) and attach them to the taskbar as a toolbar. The first time I open it I get a blank, white popup and the PC sits there for what feels like an eternity doing--something. I think it's looking up icons for all the shortcuts, but whatever it does is annoyingly slow. It hasn't changed in Windows 8 for sure.

No tablet OS for my pc's. And I need to get the remaining XP machines in my office replaced with W7 machines while I can still get it on new machines. I hope this OS turns out to be a big phail along with Office 2013 which is configured for cloud support by default and makes you create a Live 365 login.

Linux is the inverse of change. Aside from most graphical interfaces being driven by a Start button like Win95 to Win7 (fear of change) the CLI and file structure with archaic directories like "etc" or "var" have been around since Unix was first created and are a good half-century old (fear of change) so I'd say *nix types are more fearful of change than anyone else.

Right, that's why Microsoft is pushing Server Core, a CLI only version of Windows Server and Powershell, because it's all obsolete.

The CLI is a very powerful tool that can never be completely supplemented by a GUI. There are tasks that work better in a GUI and tasks that work better in a CLI.

I fail how the naming of the directories makes something archaic. How long has their been a Windows direct? Or a Program Files directory?

Will I get a copy...sure...will it be on my main desktop...hellz no...
If I wanted a windows Phone I would have bought one...

But like someone else mentioned... I have to support those who weren't smart enough to buy a computer from me with Win7 on it.

I'm in for a few copies. I have a handful of XP pc's that need an upgrade and I'm too cheap to pay for windows 7. I have a win7 pc that will not be upgraded and a slate that's already running win8.

Has anyone here actually tried the win8 release preview? I feel like there's a lot of bandwaggoning going on. The comments about windows phone make me wonder if people are confusing win8 with winRT (for ARM devices) which was rumored to do away with the desktop and be metro only (not entirely true btw). Also, the developer preview that was released last year was severely limited - unlike the current preview which is intended for the general public.

I've been using win 8 since the developer preview - it is literally windows 7 with a full screen start menu. Metro shows up when you run metro apps. If you use non-metro apps (photoshop, office, etc...) everything behaves just like windows 7. Every program/game that I have on my win7 box runs exactly the same on my win8 box. They still have close/minimize buttons (no mouse swiping required). The control panel, desktop, and file explorer are almost exactly the same as win7. Plus you have the ability to run metro apps (a few of which are really nice, like the news and stock apps). The only time metro shows up is when you hit the start button or if you run a metro app. Nothing else is affected.

I'm not saying that win8 is the ultimate OS that everyone has to buy. If you already have win7 there's not a lot of incentive to upgrade. If you want some of the newer features or access to cheap/free apps it's worth taking a look at. But if you are running XP or Vista, there's no reason not to upgrade for $40.

How does the Unix directory structure fall under the rubric of "fear of change"? What do you propose is better than the former that it'll enhance it's simplicity? It doesn't need to be changed. Yes, it's an obsolete standard but it is the most logical directory tree layout in existence, far more than any iteration of Windows.

You can't really compare Linux to Windows because Linux UIs is too atypical - it is standard-less, which is a good thing. The only GUI that resembled a Win95/7-esque functionality around that time frame was KDE, Gnome was entirely different. If you look at all the Linux GUIs today that inherit a start button - their layouts don't resemble any layout from any iteration of Windows. So that argument is only half-true.

If I can get Win8 Pro for $39 then I'll do it... Otherwise I'll just wait for Win9

In a nutshell.. what he said. However... if the $39 upgrade rumor turns out to be true I will be upgrading every non Windows 7 PC in my home to Windows 8. I still have quite a few XP/Vista pooters sitting around. Ok.. so I have a few DOS/Win98 as well.. but that's off point. :p

Right, that's why Microsoft is pushing Server Core, a CLI only version of Windows Server and Powershell, because it's all obsolete.

The CLI is a very powerful tool that can never be completely supplemented by a GUI. There are tasks that work better in a GUI and tasks that work better in a CLI.

I fail how the naming of the directories makes something archaic. How long has their been a Windows direct? Or a Program Files directory?

Heh.. Microsoft is implementing more Unix-like features.. what a surprise. First UAC, now this. Not bad Microsoft... not bad.

With the exception of a few QA people we will not be supporting it at my company. The UI is a nightmare.

In a nutshell.. what he said. However... if the $39 upgrade rumor turns out to be true I will be upgrading every non Windows 7 PC in my home to Windows 8. I still have quite a few XP/Vista pooters sitting around. Ok.. so I have a few DOS/Win98 as well.. but that's off point. :p

It's not a rumor. Virtually all Windows machines of the last decade are eligible for Windows 8 Pro for $40 at least until January 31st, 2013

Aside from most graphical interfaces being driven by a Start button like Win95 to Win7 (fear of change) the CLI and file structure with archaic directories like "etc" or "var" have been around since Unix was first created and are a good half-century old (fear of change)
Perhaps, but perhaps the Linux community is just focusing on the changes which are in greater need to be changed. Is there anything particularly wrong with "etc" and "var" directories that would require them to be changed? They're old, sure, but are they broken?

In Redmond, Microsoft is busily changing what needs to be changed for tablet 'compliancy', but not addressing things which are in greater need to be changed, like Windows' comparatively poor window management.

it seem that win7 just came out! a new operation system would be way too quick, I am sure win8 will be buggy, please take more time Microsoft.

In Redmond, Microsoft is busily changing what needs to be changed for tablet 'compliancy', but not addressing things which are in greater need to be changed, like Windows' comparatively poor window management.
So they fix it by forcing everything full screen.

Back