Windows 8 Video Preview

Watched this earlier. Looks pretty great, at least for touchscreens. Seems like it might make for a workable 10-foot UI as well.

I would be happy to sell my iPad for a 10 inch slate that runs that OS, but it doesn't look like something I would utilize on my gaming rig. I like the UI though. Basically looks like a touch user interface on top of windows 7

*yawn.... i only get excited for every other Windows OS... so, Show me some Windows 10!!!!

I don't understand why anyone would upgrade from windows 7 if they don't have a touchscreen, it's useless on any PC that isn't a touch interface, but that seems to be the way things are moving.

I am very excited about this push from Microsoft. As usual they also screw things up by using Javascript to program things. I can't wait to see the nightmares this is going to promote.

I would be happy to sell my iPad for a 10 inch slate that runs that OS, but it doesn't look like something I would utilize on my gaming rig. I like the UI though. Basically looks like a touch user interface on top of windows 7

I hope they sell it as Windows 7 Plus too.

Desktops are not tablets, tablets are not smartphones. Please developers stop trying to make one OS for all of them. That interface looks like it would be great for a tablet, but I think it will suck for a desktop.

Thanks for making my PEECEE into an iPOS, microsoft. If thats the only UI, I'll be sticking with win7.

I am very excited about this push from Microsoft. As usual they also screw things up by using Javascript to program things. I can't wait to see the nightmares this is going to promote.

What would you suggest they use otherwise?

I think it looks pretty cool but it is so different that it will be ripe for a lot of nerd rage. Change is not good for them.

this is for tablets, not a desktop pc.. notice the whole on screen keyboard? with a "thumb" setting? then he goes to say this is what will be on tablets, and laptops, and DESKTOPS!! i dont think so.

Developer1: How can we maximize our profits, without actually spending any money on development?
Developer2: Let's merge Windows 7 with Windows Phone 7!

...and Windows 8 was born.

Wonder if they are still planning to house the OS remotely and require software licenses to run it.

The sad thing is, after is is released, 99.9% of you lemmings will all be hoodwinked by Microsoft's marketing department, swearing it is the best OS ever and ridiculing everyone using that "old" Windows 7. Heaven forbid anyone is still on... Vista, which is totally different. Seriously.

this is for tablets, not a desktop pc.. notice the whole on screen keyboard? with a "thumb" setting? then he goes to say this is what will be on tablets, and laptops, and DESKTOPS!! i dont think so.

The *OS* will run on tablets, laptops and desktops, the touch UI with tiles and so on is for tablets (and laptops/desktops with touch enabled), I would think. The Desktop UI (without a touch screen) will probably resemble Windows 7, but we don't know for sure. And I'm sure there will be many more features besides this, people really need to think before they post I swear..

I liked the user interface myself, but the only question I have for now is how good will it run on older pcs? If they can make the keyboard + mouse work just as good as the touch screen ui then it'll be good.

Desktops are not tablets, tablets are not smartphones. Please developers stop trying to make one OS for all of them. That interface looks like it would be great for a tablet, but I think it will suck for a desktop.

This.

Smartphone and tablet interfaces ended up the way they did because of a) no keyboard or mouse, and b) lack of screen real estate. These two problems don't exist with desktops.

I really hope this will have the ability to be disabled...

The *OS* will run on tablets, laptops and desktops, the touch UI with tiles and so on is for tablets (and laptops/desktops with touch enabled), I would think. The Desktop UI (without a touch screen) will probably resemble Windows 7, but we don't know for sure. And I'm sure there will be many more features besides this, people really need to think before they post I swear..

he said himself at the end of the video that this will be the ui for the next windows and all platforms. i did think before i posted.

When executional speed isn't a high priority, JavaScript's a good solution. It's not like these little micro-applications aren't going to get dragged down by the performance constraints of the JavaScript engine.

If you watched the entire video you will see the traditional Windows UI is underneath, start button and all. It looks great for tablets/slates and traditional PC's will be fine. It looks like a great OS for the convertible tablets and more PC's will probably come with touch screens.

I don't think this will be for a desktop. Only for netbooks/tablets/cloud oriented devices.

I also think this is not simply an overlay on top of Win 7. It's too smooth. I bet they gutted the crap out of Win 7 and started to update the UI.

he said himself at the end of the video that this will be the ui for the next windows and all platforms. i did think before i posted.

well I was thinking he meant all platforms that have touch screens and tablets with mice plugged in, cuz I can't see the utility of that for a regular mouse/keyboard desktop, maybe if I use it I'll think otherwise. *shrug*

Windows 8 is trying to look like a phone/tablet operating system?

So, in a couple of years, (by the time W8 is on the shelves) when my phone or tablet is as powerful as many entry level PC's are today, remind me why I want to buy a PC if I am not a gamer or a number cruncher. I can already plug my phone's HDMI into a great, big monitor.

I am not sure what MS is going for here...

I don't give one shit about new user interfaces. I like the Windows NT/2000/XP interface and want to keep it. What can Windows 8 do that I can't currently do? Anything at all? Don't mention something that's part of the UI, I don't care about the UI.

I hated it when he started call programs "apps"...
This agitated me a lot too for some reason. Just sounds like marketing BS... just like calling addons "DLC."

Looks like a giant meh from the perspective of a desktop user, but we'll see where it goes.

What Windows needs is the automatic resizing pane things on the traditional desktop so you can run multiple programs at once on a single screen.

The actual touch interface part and the giant icons (sorry I mean tiles) is useless on a desktop unless we start getting 24" touch monitors for our desktops.

If you watched the entire video you will see the traditional Windows UI is underneath, start button and all. It looks great for tablets/slates and traditional PC's will be fine. It looks like a great OS for the convertible tablets and more PC's will probably come with touch screens.

Lots of nerd rage, I wonder if they even watched it all. I think it looks super slick, and MS is not going to be left behind on tablets, or their phone platform. Mango looks to be the update that will put them ahead of iOS and Android.

They need to get it out asap thou.

I still have a Magic Touch that fits 24" LCD's. It would be something cool to play with.

For someone (me) who still tries to make my computer look as much like Windows NT as possible, I hate this video demo. It looks like a damn disaster.

This looks cool and i'm pretty sure this is only for tablets.

Even if this was the desktop version i'm sure windows 8 would detect no touch input devices on a normal pc and just put up a traditional desktop.

Some of you really need to relax.....

I hated it when he started call programs "apps"...

Yep. I hate the apps thing too. It's like whoo! They're turning my computer into a mobile phone!!!@@@!

Thank fuck for that. Seriously. That new ADD pecker interface is fine for tablets, but not desktops. Maybe if they were intelligent enough to pair kinect with it for desktop, but that wouldn't happen as they're too precious about the xbox being its own thing. :rolleyes: And no sane person uses a touchscreen desktop, you'd look and feel like a muppet keeping your arms raised and pointing at the screen all day.

But all in all, there is no reason so far to move from windows7 for desktop/laptop. This new interface is too busy and in the way, while at the same time hiding stuff, for the biggest market. Tablet is the only thing to benefit from this, it boggles the mind that they've basically ignored the largest market and focused their entire I.P. in some ipad chase for what is really very minimal return.

Windows phone 7 and most likely this new interface doesn't use java script, it uses C# and aspx written in Visual Studio.

He also showed the standard desktop UI. This is basically an optional component that you can switch to if you have a touch device (Or a tablet), i doubt it's going to be mandatory considering touch lacks the precision or speed of a M/KB.

As purely a touch interface for tablets and other mobile machines, I think it looks great. But for a desktop - as far as I'm concerned it's just a Media Center update.

It looks like the Zune OS. Not that that is a bad thing though.

ok, windows 8 really does look freaking incredible for tablets.... and who knows, smartphones?

i really like it, and all ive done over the past few years is lament MS's lack of direction and creativity....

Back