windows 8.1 HTPC just won't stay asleep!

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

Been having this issue for some time now. My win 8.1 HTPC is just a dumb MythTV frontend using XBMC. It also runs Netflix and a few other things but no services. Back end is on a different box.

I have repeatedly been putting it to sleep when not in use to save power, and invariably when I come back a few hours later, with no one having touched it, it is on again.

Can't seem to figure out what is waking it.

It doesn't seem to matter if everything was quit prior to putting it to sleep or if XBMC was open. It comes on on its own after a while.

Does anyone have any suggestio s what I might look into to correct this unwanted behavior? I hate wasting power.

Much obliged,
Matt

powercfg -lastwake from a command prompt will tell you what last woke up the computer.

Certain background apps can sometimes cause this. I remember an earlier version of a Samsung's SSD Magician monitoring software waking my PC up constantly - drove me nuts until I figured it out. Eulogy's tip should help ID the culprit. Also be sure to check your BIOS settings. Most newer BIOS's have quite a few "wake on xxxx" type settings that can be configured - perhaps yours has some of them set by default.

powercfg -lastwake from a command prompt will tell you what last woke up the computer.

Thank you for this suggestion. Just got around to actually waiting for it to wake unrequested and testing it.

Code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Wake Timer
    Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (Syste
mEventsBroker)
    Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media
 Center\mcupdate_scheduled' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

So it looks like it is being woken for some sort of Windows Media Center update.

Funny thing is, Windows Media Center isn't even installed...

I DID have it installed when I first installed Windows 8 on this machine, thinking I was going to use it for cable tv, but I quickly abandoned that idea, going with MythTV and XBMC instead.

Removed it using "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (apparently what Add/Remove Windows Components is called these days)

Sounds like a orphaned WMC schedule remained on the machine somehow. Need to remember how to get to scheduling and get rid of it.

Zarathustra[H];1041263423 said:
Thank you for this suggestion. Just got around to actually waiting for it to wake unrequested and testing it.

Code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Wake Timer
    Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (Syste
mEventsBroker)
    Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media
 Center\mcupdate_scheduled' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

So it looks like it is being woken for some sort of Windows Media Center update.

Funny thing is, Windows Media Center isn't even installed...

I DID have it installed when I first installed Windows 8 on this machine, thinking I was going to use it for cable tv, but I quickly abandoned that idea, going with MythTV and XBMC instead.

Removed it using "Turn Windows Features On or Off" (apparently what Add/Remove Windows Components is called these days)

Sounds like a orphaned WMC schedule remained on the machine somehow. Need to remember how to get to scheduling and get rid of it.

Hmm

Can't find any related task in the task manager...

Back