Windows 7 Will Allow Downgrades Too

Microsoft: Can I haz stupidity?, they are creating their own problems by not killing of XP.......

Microsoft: Can I haz stupidity?, they are creating their own problems by not killing of XP.......

That problem where they have to continue minor support for a 10 year old piece of software that people STILL buy? What's stupid about this situation? People want to pay MS for something that costs nothing to produce. Where is their loss in this one?

I also still refer it as "My Computer" because that's what I used to call it from way back.

Their is little that annoys me more then not finding a "My Computer" on the desktop. The worst are setups that don't even have it right on the start menu either.

Their is little that annoys me more then not finding a "My Computer" on the desktop. The worst are setups that don't even have it right on the start menu either.

There is little that annoys me more then icons on the desktop at all. There is absolutely no need.

I get it though.. its all personal preference.

Try running an antivirus scan, installing a large software package like photoshop, while editing the registry, and viewing log files all at once while over a remote desktop connection on the lan. That will basically simulate what i do most of the time. Your netbook will beg for mercy.

So you are like our IT guy who wastes more time than the rest of the company combined doing pointless tasks.

Vista and Win7 both run just fine on my EEE 1000HE, I stick to and use XP due to the lack of supporting drivers under Vista/W7.

There are a lot of XP haters out there for some reason. I don't see why you care that some people out there prefer XP over "their" Vista. It is optional, so ya'll can still fwap to your Vista OS. Why aren't you XP haters bitching about DOS still being supported? :rolleyes:

I never tried Vista (stuck with XP), but I think I will make the jump this time.

Try running an antivirus scan, installing a large software package like photoshop, while editing the registry, and viewing log files all at once while over a remote desktop connection on the lan. That will basically simulate what i do most of the time. Your netbook will beg for mercy.
Hmm, having Windows Terminal Server on a notebook feels like it somewhat limits the purpose of the notbook no?
Why not just use a 19" Rack server for that since that is what they are made for?
(Which will make it quite nice to connect to with that notebook btw)

I'll migrate to Windows 7 as long as it's faster and uses less resources than Vista. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Hmm, having Windows Terminal Server on a notebook feels like it somewhat limits the purpose of the notbook no?
Why not just use a 19" Rack server for that since that is what they are made for?
(Which will make it quite nice to connect to with that notebook btw)

eh?

I think nconix was referring to remotely assisting people while remotely installing software. Although from all the stuff he does simultaneously, it wouldn't matter what OS it was since the hard drive is being slammed anyway. Desktops would be taxed just as much. SSD drives and a fatter network pipe would make a big difference though.

wow a bunch of geeks in here bashing the poo out of us XP users. Why do I have XP? because for starters I cant get F@H to run dual GPU with my ati cards... plus... i have alot of old games that for some reason dont play well with vista.

With that said, if people still want to use XP let them. Who cares? you people are starting to sound like MAC users

eh?

I think nconix was referring to remotely assisting people while remotely installing software. Although from all the stuff he does simultaneously, it wouldn't matter what OS it was since the hard drive is being slammed anyway. Desktops would be taxed just as much. SSD drives and a fatter network pipe would make a big difference though.

That's exactly what I do. People have really messed up computers out there. If you think big business is bad with personal data breaches you don't wanna know how bad many small business owners are. Performance often does come down to HDD throughput, but oddly for some reason a PC with a fast bus and plenty of ram just doesn't hit the wall in the same way. You still have to wait for disk IO operations but it doesn't freeze the rest of what you are doing. For instance a slow computer doesn't even let you ALT+TAB, a fast computer will let you ALT+TAB all you want nomatter how hard the disk is being loaded. I presume that has something to do with swap file usage on the slow computer. However even when there is enough ram and the cpu is single core you end up with non-reentrant states where the machine demands a certain operation completes before it becomes responsive again, reminds me of Win95 when that happens. XP does that much more then Vista/7 do it, but Vista/7 wont run on a p3 with 512mb of ram either. That's my point.

I know that some people really like XP, but COME ON. Get with the times already. MS shouldn't have to keep supporting an 8 year old operating system.

When have they ever done this before? Never, that I can recall.

As long as the OEMs can still charge EXTRA for the downgrade from Vista or Windows7,
it's obvious that a lot of consumers will still pay to avoid the new versions & problems.

There is no way that Microsoft is going to abandon that much money that's to be made
when they have practically no overhead costs at all to perpetuate the XP product line.

They just stopped officially selling and supporting windows 3.11 in November of 2008. They stopped the full support in 01. Thats still almost 11 years of support. They then continued to license it until 08. From May of 1990 until November 2008. Them doing it with XP is nothing new.

Hell you'd be surprised how many systems still rely on windows nt.

That is...disturbing. :eek: Where exactly could you buy Windows 3.11 up until 2008, anyway?

And everyone who is saying they are keeping XP around because of incompatibility with Vista/Win7, that's kind of just laziness on the part of MS and all of the software devs, isn't it? I mean, I can understand for Windows 7 having some initial problems, but Vista has been out long enough that devs should have been able to fix any problems with it by now. Personally I've had no compatibility issues with Vista x64, at all. I did have some issues with XP x64, however.

Exactly, but a decent core2 will be fine doing all that. I was not trying to say that a netbook could do all that under XP, I was saying that netbooks can't handle real computing load. Playing a video and browsing the web doesn't qualify as loading the computer. Those are idle tasks in my book. To even consider a video and browser as qualifiers of performance (as they are in many reviews) shows how slow the machine really is. Which is why I say XP is sticking around, as it can run on woefully underpowered hardware in a way that Vista and Win7 just cant. When the hardware is decent Vista and Win7 work perfectly and you would actually notice Vista/7 are more responsive to user input then XP when the system is under load. I have run Win7 fulltime since beta and I have seen exactly zero difference between Win7 and Vista in terms of performance.

You're confusing your needs with other peoples needs. Part of the problem YOU are experiencing is because you expect to much out of a particular machine. A netbook with an Atom processor isn't meant to be RDPed to install Photoshop and such. It's meant to be a light weight, portable computer for causal use.
There are different hardware levels for different needs. My grandmother doesn't need a quad core processor with 4GB RAM and a velociraptor hard drive to compose an email and check the news online.

If you claim to be this great tech type person surely you can see the needs for different computer platforms for users of varying requirements.

Persoanl experiences for me is Windows 7 has been better across the board on all machines. It uses less RAM, is quicker than Vista, looks better than XP and boots a hell of a lot quicker than XP or Vista.
Though if you want everyone on the same OS and limited hardware switch to Mac.

That is awesome!!!

Now all MS needs to do support the latest Direct X for XP Windows users will be more satisfied.

I didn't make the jump to Vista as (at the time) it didn't offer enough to justify the cost in upgrading. Now that I have 4GB of RAM and am actually looking for somewhat of a change, I think I will make the jump to Win7. It will be a different story where I work, however, as we won't want to migrate from XP to anything newer for quite some time I'm sure (I'm in the IT dept.). Everything we use works very efficiently on XP. Win7 sounds promising...I may have to test it out on my spare box soon...

wow a bunch of geeks in here bashing the poo out of us XP users. Why do I have XP? because for starters I cant get F@H to run dual GPU with my ati cards... plus... i have alot of old games that for some reason dont play well with vista.

With that said, if people still want to use XP let them. Who cares? you people are starting to sound like MAC users

Yeah, we are! But if it isn't broke, don't fix it. In your case, I think that is perfectly fine to continue to use XP. You don't have any reason to upgrade, not unless you wanted DX10, but then you forfeit your older games, but several do work. (I've only come across 1 game that won't run under Vista - Stubbs the Zombie:rolleyes:)

However, the issue is OEM's offering XP on *NEW* computers. (Way to handicap yourself, "Oh no, I don't want more than 4GB [3.25+/-] of ram.") I understand you're familiar with an Operating System... but you will have to change, why not sooner - for the better. For Vista/Win7 the advantages by far far far out-weight the (perceived) disadvantages. Mac commercials, Internet FUD and ignorant friends/neighbors/IT guys at work tell you not to get Vista/Win7...

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!

Gosh.

I know that some people really like XP, but COME ON. Get with the times already. MS shouldn't have to keep supporting an 8 year old operating system.

When have they ever done this before? Never, that I can recall.

I for one am using se7en and I like it a lot. The beta's have been really good. A couple of minor Visual/GUI issues, but nothing serious and once it goes final I'll buy it and switch from xp32/xp64 on all of my machines.

Photoshop's setup tells you to close out all other running programs before proceeding.

Photoshop's setup tells you to close out all other running programs before proceeding.

To be fair, most program installers say that, but do you actually?

No?

I didn't think so.

The only problem with Windows XP is that it was far more successful than anyone expected it to be. I think its a great OS. But I like new shit, so I switched to Vista. I will be switching to 7 when it comes out as well.

I'll migrate to Windows 7 as long as it's faster and uses less resources than Vista. I don't think that's too much to ask.

It is and it does, are you implying that you are unhappy with the way Vista managed it's resources? Because Win7 is really just a tweak of that, a lot of which will come in Vista SP2.

The only problem with Windows XP is that it was far more successful than anyone expected it to be. I think its a great OS. But I like new shit, so I switched to Vista. I will be switching to 7 when it comes out as well.

Me too! Why can't everyone be ahead of the curve? :p

I don't remember so much of a hubbub around the release of XP as compared to the release of Vista though.

Were there driver issues and poop manufacturer support then too? Or since they stuck to the same driver model did most the 2k drivers just carry over?

I think that's what really did Vista in from a consumer standpoint, they hear it by ear from a geek who didn't pay attention to his own hardware and dogged it before ever trying it themselves.

I was a big fan of Vista, but even in my circle of friends, I was the only one running it, but I'm one of two having moved to Win7, the rest are sticking with XP. It's not that we don't have plenty of licenses for Vista just lying around between us, and the slowest computer of the bunch is a C2D E6400 with 4GB Ram and a 8800GTS 320MB.

So it's not like they couldn't take it, they just stuck with XP so long after Vista came along that they didn't want to upgrade for a short period of time as rumors of Win7 coming *very* soon were very frequent, and here it is already, well, pre-rc but still, in my opinion it's Vista without all the 'problems' people said they had with it (resource management/bloat), which in my opinion was really just people with less/slow ram that didn't want to spend more than the cost of Vista itself to upgrade legitimately, and then you can blame MSFT for 'underrating' the requirements... yeah.

Oh well, it was a mess, people are forgetting it finally I think, even though Win7 is basically Vista with some tweaks and a new task-bar and some better thought out menu's, a lot less working through 10 pages to get to the network setting you want, etc..

I don't see what the issue is here that justifies all those "XP must die" comments. There's apparently still a high enough demand for XP and Microsoft is capitalizing on this opportunity by continuing to sell XP licenses. What's wrong with that? After all, if someone won't buy Vista for whatever reason then selling an XP license is better than nothing. Microsoft is a business and their goal is to make money: improving their OS is just a means to an end.

Besides, XP is not going to die. Even after it stops being sold - hell even long after it stops being supported - many people will still stick with it.

Back