Windows 7, what works and what doesn't

Linksys wireless-G WUSB54G USB adapter for wireless network does not work.

Any ideas...the machine I am testing Windows 7 on has only wireless internet access so I am kind stuck...I have been looking for drivers on my other system that I could jump drive over but so far no luck.

Linksys did not provide a Vista driver for a lot of older wireless adapters (or if they did it was only a only for 32bit). You'll have to find out who made the actual wireless chipset in it and hunt down a driver for it.

the built in codecs dont play a great deal of things and it overides everything so ffdshow does not run

tho i really think that they just need to make a WIN7 installer

Yep the compatibility mode did the trick for both my X-FI and Intel P45 chipset drivers. Audio is now working!

logitech drivers work thank god, theyre just as bad as creative, they didnt release vista drivers until a month after release

I installed Windows 7 Beta 64 bit and all I get is a black screen with my mouse pointer lit up (white, and I can move it around) and text in the bottom right side that says. Its to me almost looks like my PC resolution is super low, but I hit the microsoft logo on my keyboard to pop up the windows menu and tried ctrl alt delete and nothing pops up. But I can move my mouse around fine.

Happened to me too. Ctrl+Shift+Esc, end explorer, then start it again.

Exchange doesn't work unless you include the domain name for some reason.

What do you mean??? You've almost always got to do that in my experience...
On top of that, always good practice to use domain name so you know it grabs the correct account.

SPTD drivers won't install at all, so the programs dependant on that won't work (Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, etc.).

That's it so far.

Happened to me too. Ctrl+Shift+Esc, end explorer, then start it again.

So your saying when I get to the black screen, do the ctrl shift Esc

What is that suppose to do, as I've done it and nothing happens. I am using a USB wired keyboard if that makes a difference, but the num lock and caps lock lights work so would that means my computer does recognize my keyboard?

man, i dont know what people are running for software or maybe im just damn lucky. But all the way back to the vista beta's EVERYTHING has worked. I probably have at least 50 programs installed at any given time and they have always worked with vista and now windows 7.

So your saying when I get to the black screen, do the ctrl shift Esc

What is that suppose to do, as I've done it and nothing happens. I am using a USB wired keyboard if that makes a difference, but the num lock and caps lock lights work so would that means my computer does recognize my keyboard?

Ctrl-Shift-Esc is supposed to bring up the task manager.

So reinstall it. You would NOT BELIEVE how many times a first install of an OS screws up and doesn't work for shit and yet just wiping the drive and redoing it a second time suddenly resolves all the issues.

I'm not kidding one iota about this either... try it, I'll bet you get better results the second time around, seriously.

And yes, Control+Alt+Escape does bring up Task Manager; if it's not coming up on that installation, start over.

So reinstall it. You would NOT BELIEVE how many times a first install of an OS screws up and doesn't work for shit and yet just wiping the drive and redoing it a second time suddenly resolves all the issues.

I'm not kidding one iota about this either... try it, I'll bet you get better results the second time around, seriously.

And yes, Control+Alt+Escape does bring up Task Manager; if it's not coming up on that installation, start over.

I already did that because I've had OS issues before that cleared up once I reinstalled.

I tried starting it in safe mode and it says, "setup is preparing your computer for first use"

Install Windows Error

Windows cannot complete installation in safe mode. To continue installing windows restart the computer

What do you mean??? You've almost always got to do that in my experience...
On top of that, always good practice to use domain name so you know it grabs the correct account.

Well, I use mail2web and my username is my full email address. This is a personal account, not a "real" corporate account or anything. Under Vista and XP you can just type it in (Outlook 2007) and use the autodetection and it'll work with just username and password. In Windows 7 you have to use the version of the username for ActiveSync (which is different for me) including domain and password. Just a weird thing that's different and I thought I'd mention it.

that was on an older computer with xp to vista.

My seagates 7200.10 seagates work great and haven't had a problem yet.

I'm guessing he means the Windows 7 DVD you burned could be a bad burn... did you verify the burn after you made it, with positive results?

yeah I burned/verified it with cyberlink software

any chance you have a TV hooked up to your PC? I had it hooked up and was watching tv not knowing that it was using the TV as my default monitor. So i just had black screens with windows 7 written at the bottom

any chance you have a TV hooked up to your PC? I had it hooked up and was watching tv not knowing that it was using the TV as my default monitor. So i just had black screens with windows 7 written at the bottom

I have a Hauppauge TV tuner card in mine right now and its hooked up to the cable TV. I'll see if that works

I have a Hauppauge TV tuner card in mine right now and its hooked up to the cable TV. I'll see if that works

THAT WAS IT, I DISCONNECT THE COAXIAL CABLES FROM THE TUNER CARD AND NOW IT DISPLAYS FINE. I watch TV on my Dell 2407 monitor (college student).

Thanks a bunch

I did the upgrade install from Windows Vista Home Premium on my laptop in my sig.
Steam works
-TF2, some of the menus don't display properly. Video seems to work OK, but is not perfect.
-CSS, have not tried
-Pidgeon works
-Office 2007 works
-They changed the color of the bar in RDP from beige to blue

Whats not working:
-Clicking buttons on task bar does not minimize the windows
-Windows ditched my quick launch apps.

THAT WAS IT, I DISCONNECT THE COAXIAL CABLES FROM THE TUNER CARD AND NOW IT DISPLAYS FINE. I watch TV on my Dell 2407 monitor (college student).

Thanks a bunch

No problem, I was so pissed this morning when it installed in 10-15 minutes and I finally was able to use it 20 minutes later because of that.

Well, if a window is open and you click the button on the Taskbar for that window, it should minimize it, sooo... it works here in that respect, not an issue.

As for the Quick Launch, you did an upgrade install so, the "new" Taskbar in Windows 7 doesn't work like the old one anymore. Seems to be a big gripe with folks, but... that's one reason you (meaning anyone reading this) shouldn't be doing an upgrade installation with not just a beta OS but Windows 7 - it's too different for some people to handle considering they're finally getting used to Vista after years of XP usage.

That's just XP x64 :p

What works..

Ventrilo, WoW and my logitech g15 drivers.

What didn't.

The vista 64 drivers for my damn on board NIC. I however would not be [H] if I didn't have access to another pc in my living room so took me about 2 minutes to get the drivers from Marvell and away I went.

So far;

Works:
AnyDVD
CCCP codec pack (media player classic works fine, perfect mkv playback)
Auzentech xfi prelude drivers etc.
Nod32
L4D (had connection issues, suspect firewall, will retest)
UT3
WoW
xfire

Doesn't work:
XBCD drivers, even less functional than vista x64
Ghetto quick launch bar seems to go away every reboot
Furmark (ATI driver issue with OGL?)
Gadgets/sidebar non functional for me.

Back