Windows 7, what works and what doesn't

So far;

Gadgets/sidebar non functional for me.

Same here as well. Its weird, because when I first installed it they worked, but now they wont. Can't even get the Desktop Gadget Gallery to load. I get no errors or anything, it just doesnt do anything when I clicked the icon.

using Win7 x64

I can't get any Radeon drivers to install. I tried the W7 beta, Vista x64 8.12 under compatibility, and it just stalls on Analyzing Configuration. This sucks.:mad:

I think I found a reason why the Cat drivers don't install, my video card is listed under IRQ=-2 in Device Manager.

Plus with the Catalyst, I extracted with 7-zip and found that some of the .dll, .exe, and .msi files are named the same but are different sizes. So when you just click to install, who knows how it is handling that.

Windows 7 64 bit

creative X-fi xtreme gamer sound card drivers won't load because it thinks I'm running an older OS than XP.

Another difference was I was able to see my raid 0 setup that has vista 64 bit ultimate on and was able to access all my music and school documents. This is with my windows 7 on a seperate drive (windows 7 seperate system drive, Raid 0 vista 64 seperate system drives, 1 Logical 320gb dr).

Once I installed my evga 680i motherboard drivers, I now can't see my raid setup. I'm tempted to remove the driver and see if my PC performance is slower than with windows default.

I did a performance check on the system ranking now goes to 7.9

My normal seagate 7200.10 is at 3.0 instead of my vista 64 score which was 5.8 for what its worth. My raid 0 setup on vista 64 was above 5.9, I'm tempted to format another one of my seagates and set up a raid 0

You can get some UltraMon functionality by running UltraMonDesktop.exe and UltraMonTaskbar.exe straight from the program directory. Multiple wallpapers and a taskbar at least...

Side bar doesn't work. Did a fresh install on the wife's laptop.

Bootcamp Sound drivers install fine on my MBP, but dont seem to "work"

The device is found in device manager, and the volume is adjustable. However when you play a sound and see its "volume" on the volume slider, it never goes above a "tick" up.

I can just run the latest Vista 64-bit drivers for ny 8800 GTX? I have trouble with stability. Hangs while accessing the control panel or trying to see screensavers :)

btw they say it runs in kernel mode what does that mean?

Sidebar/Gadgets will work again if you enable any level of User Account Control and reboot.

I have the 32bit version installed on my CoreDuo iMac (specs in sig) and the 64bit version installed on my main rig. Very impressed with both. The responsiveness is from what I can tell the same across both very different machines. The Boot Camp drivers that came on the Leopard DVD worked great on my iMac.

I have not been able to get the Java plugin to work with Firefox on either the 32 or 64bit version. It seems to work fine with IE. Anyone else? Only snag I have run into so far.

Well that's fucking dumb. I guess I will have to use google desktop then. Unless I'm missing something here or its just a weird bug with the beta.

No problems here. I was able to install everything just fine for my system. 100% working.

Gadgets wont work unless you have UAC on? Did I read that right?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

People wonder where FUD starts from. It's from ignorant users who post nonsense like gadgets not working unless UAC is on...

Does anyone ever actually test stuff out before taking it as fact? I mean, we can kill the FUD right at the source if we'd just call the FUD-spreaders on it.

3187212946_8c2f8e9457_o.png

Guess what that is? It's a gadget with UAC disabled (And yes, the setting had been applied).

Doesnt work:
Daemon Tools (Slysofts Virtual drive is a perfectly acceptable substitute however)
FFDShow (installs fine however doesnt seem to apply when using WMP)

What does work:
Everything else. I mean it too. Im pretty sure ive started every program on this OS.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

People wonder where FUD starts from. It's from ignorant users who post nonsense like gadgets not working unless UAC is on...

Does anyone ever actually test stuff out before taking it as fact? I mean, we can kill the FUD right at the source if we'd just call the FUD-spreaders on it.

3187212946_8c2f8e9457_o.png

Guess what that is? It's a gadget with UAC disabled (And yes, the setting had been applied).

lol. Dude, if I turn UAC off, no gadgets. Cant even run the program or add gadgets manually. Turn UAC on and everything works. Multiple people have had the same experience. It's a beta, leave us ingorant users testing things alone.

I get CTDs with Warhammer Online. Day of Defeat:Source works fine, although I did have some problem initially with it dropping my connection that seems to have been fixed by setting Steam and HL2.exe to Vista compability. My X-Fi Titanium drivers installed fine. Seems I may have odd problems with my BD-ROM drive, not sure how serious.

lol. Dude, if I turn UAC off, no gadgets. Cant even run the program or add gadgets manually. Turn UAC on and everything works. Multiple people have had the same experience. It's a beta, leave us ingorant users testing things alone.

Gadgets work for me with or without UAC.
NOT via the Desktop "Gadgets" menu, by the way... but via the Start Menu (Desktop Gadget Gallery).

I finally got the ISO to burn properly for me and installed it on my secondary harddrive. Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not recognize my nic (ASRock 939Dual-SATAII) and thus I cannot get anywhere with it. From what I could see the system is quite a bit quicker than the Vista Ultimate x64 installation on my main drive. Really like the look and feel of it, menus are quite a bit snappier, interface just seems to be better thought out and much more uniform. I will definitely keep an eye on it for the release and possibly use it on my new machine that I plan to build this year.

Confirmed for me, turned UAC on and now I have gadgets.

Also, my quick launch bar appears to be staying now, seemed to need a proper shut down to make it stick.

Probably because WMP defaults to using the DMOs that can decode whatever you're playing (part of WPF) before it fallsback to other DirectShow filters.

Unfortunently it applies no deblocking or anything and the image looks fugly :(

Its a beta guys, things are gonna be broken.

On the UAC issue ofcourse its a bug. Report it it will get fixed. Don't expect things to be perfect, or jump to the conclusion that MS is 'dumb' because it doesnt work right.

Also as far as mounting images, I have heard daemon tools is a no go but magiciso is a go. I have also heard magiciso is better anyway. Any objections to that statement?

People are still bothering to turn UAC off even though it's vastly superior in terms of usefulness and non-intrusiveness in Windows 7? My god... leave it alone and it works. Fuck with it and expect problems.

Don't people ever learn anything?

Unfortunately, Windows 7 does not recognize my nic (ASRock 939Dual-SATAII)

Nor does Linux and I had issues with that NIC in Vista too. Throw in a ten dollar Realtek NIC into a PCI slot to solve all such issues with that NIC on the mb.

People are still bothering to turn UAC off even though it's vastly superior in terms of usefulness and non-intrusiveness in Windows 7? My god... leave it alone and it works. Fuck with it and expect problems.

Don't people ever learn anything?

EVGA Precision or Rivatuner need to be allowed every time i reboot my computer in Windows 7, even with the minimum UAC. Thats enough to make me turn it off :)

Back