windows 7 virtual pc or vmware

sparks

2[H]4U
I want to install linux on one of my systems.
This will be a server for Redcap. It uses mysql, php and other things.
Is the virtual pc in windows 7 good for running linux programs or is it just for show?
What I mean is it laggy and intensive just to get it to run in virtual pc?
How about vmware is it something that can be run inside windows or will windows and linux have to be installed inside of it?
Sorry if these questions sound stupid, I just don't want to try and say well thats a dud lets try something else....etc

Try Virtual PC, its free.

If it doesn't suit your needs, don't use it and then buy VMWare?

Or just go with Virtualbox at that point, and don't bother paying VMWare
at all.

Frankly I run a few Linux VM's in Hyper-V, works fine and runs like a charm once
you finagle the Linux IC into the OS of choice. Till then its a pita cause you can't
use TS mice and who wants to stand at a console for the VM all day...

I've read before that the Microsoft Virtual PC does not officially support Linux. VMPlayer is free and does officially support Linux.

Virtualbox. Supports Linux very well and free. VMWare is not free. VirtualPC does not support Linux.

microsoft virtualization is only for microsoft operating system virtualization. there is token support for other operating systems. so choose virtualbox or vmware workstation, both are equally good.

Virtualbox. Supports Linux very well and free. VMWare is not free. VirtualPC does not support Linux.

QFT. VirtualBox is free/open source and has everything you are likely to need in a desktop virtualization product. If you outgrow it, there is always VMWare Workstation to step up to.

thanks BIG TIME for all your help.
after reading the virtualbox wiki I think I am going to start there.

thanks again to everyone

VMware player is free. I use both VMware player and Virtualbox. Not all OSs work well with both (server 2008 doesn't like Virtualbox) so I keep both of them around incase an OS doesn't work with one.

VMware Player is free (as told by DeathPrincess). Workstation is not.

I personally prefer Player over Virtual PC & Virtualbox due to driver integration/support.

Try vmplayer. Works like a charm. VirtualBox from oracle will also work, but a bit slower than vmplayer. Nothing works better than installing directly on the machine. You can do this with most linux distro today without messing up your windows installation. Or just run directly from the live CD of your choice (if you distro offer that option).

VMWare Player and VMWare Server are free. VMWare Work$tation and ESX are not (or weren't the last time that I checked).

I use VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and VirtualBox (also free) extensively both at work and at home...so here's a quick description of each:

VMWare Player - Optimized for visual use. Now allows creation of VMs, which it did not in the recent past. Lacks some of the advanced features of VMWare Work$tation. Easy to use and insanely stable.

VMWare Server - Can be used for visual use, but more optimized for headless operation (e.g., servers). Also allows creation of VMs. Slightly more complex to use than Player...and very stable.

VirtualBox - Somewhat of a free equivalent to VMWare Work$tation...so it's more powerful than VMWare Player. Not stable at all. Has crashed and corrupted VMs on me at home and at work...multiple times.

VirtualPC - No thanks.​

For home use, I vote for VMWare Player.

cheers,
Scuba

Last edited:
another vote for VMware player.. it works like a champ and benefits from the support for the VMware family.

VMware player is free. I use both VMware player and Virtualbox. Not all OSs work well with both (server 2008 doesn't like Virtualbox) so I keep both of them around incase an OS doesn't work with one.

What issues have you had using WinSvr 2k8 on VirtualBox? I've been running 32bit&64bit OS's (even R2), and never had one problem with VBox with guest servers.

My vote is for VMWare player or Virtualbox.

VirtualBox - Somewhat of a free equivalent to VMWare Work$tation...so it's more powerful than VMWare Player. Not stable at all. Has crashed and corrupted VMs on me at home and at work...multiple times.

Hmmmm..... I have been using VirtualBox for over 4 years now and I have never had a crash or corruption. Are you associating Windows crashing and corruption to VirtualBox?

VMWare Player and VMWare Server are free. VMWare Work$tation and ESX are not (or weren't the last time that I checked).

I use VMWare Player, VMWare Server, and VirtualBox (also free) extensively both at work and at home...so here's a quick description of each:

VMWare Player - Optimized for visual use. Now allows creation of VMs, which it did not in the recent past. Lacks some of the advanced features of VMWare Work$tation. Easy to use and insanely stable.

VMWare Server - Can be used for visual use, but more optimized for headless operation (e.g., servers). Also allows creation of VMs. Slightly more complex to use than Player...and very stable.

VirtualPC - No thanks.​

For home use, I vote for VMWare Player.

cheers,
Scuba
Just a FYI VMWare Server is EOL/EOS so I would chose something else unless you had to use it.

Typically if I need some desktop virtualization I go with VirtualBox since I don't want to spend money on it. VMWare Workstation is very good if you want something better that has actual support, etc.

Hmmmm..... I have been using VirtualBox for over 4 years now and I have never had a crash or corruption. Are you associating Windows crashing and corruption to VirtualBox?

If Windows is crashing and getting corrupt, then I would blame Virtual Box or the hardware... Windows doesn't just get corrupt for the last 10 years...

Back