Windows 7 Upgrade Now Available $49.99 / $99.99 6/26/09-7/11/09

I have never had really any issues. They are so lax on phone activation that it really is a non issue.

Like I said, I have dealt with a ton more licenses/activations compared to most as well so I have a good sample to report from.

That's good. I don't have any personal experience on activation issues, but I'm just wary on what I've read, at least when WGA was first introduced as mandatory.

The only people that have real issues with WGA are those people that do everything they can to avoid it, simple. And that means everyone, whether it's a totally legit owner that simply doesn't think it's necessary (it is for proper operation of the OS and updates, like it or not), and those not so legit folks who think it's not necessary (it is, for the aforementioned reasons).

Like it or not, it's pretty much the way things are done with Windows now, soooo...

WGA is only a pain when you have someone from India which you cannot understand giving you your reactivation code 5 times to make sure you understood them correctly after a 30min wait. That is the only time I have ever called MS to get it done and yea was a pain in the ass. Just tell them your hard drive died and boom new key anyways.

You can do a clean install by starting the install from your current OS. It sets a flag and then reboots the machine into a setup which can then do the clean install and such...
I could be mistaken, but wouldn't it just restart your system and boot into the OS installation like normal?...
Oh ok, now that makes sense. Thanks.

On my new system I started right off with Windows 7 RC. While I do have the real XP install CD, I unfortunately do not have the XP serial number from my old desktop that burnt out. At this point does that mean I am just going to have to suck it up and pay full retail for Windows 7 when it launches?
Well, if you lost the key and never got a chance to install the OS, then you are screwed. That was the only proof of purchase you had.

However, you don't have to buy the full retail price. You can buy Vista OEM now, and receive a free Windows 7 coupon. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677.

This whole upgrade matrix has me a little confused. Basically I'm running Vista Ultimate right now and I want to go with Win7 Professional. I understand that I won't be able to do an upgrade where I just pop in the Win7 disc and it carries my settings over. My question is, will I be able to use the Vista Ultimate disc as verification that I can install Win7 Pro?

My question is, will I be able to use the Vista Ultimate disc as verification that I can install Win7 Pro?

No, it will use your already installed Vista Ultimate OS as verification.

I have only said it like 10 times already :eek:

Or just do a true clean install with just the Pro DVD and don't put the key in during the installation... as I've said it like, many times over the years since it works for Vista and I seriously doubt they're going to alter the installer that much.

I haven't done that Joe, since I have Vista HP full version... but I know you don't need to put in the key during installation. That allows you to do a regular install without any proof of previous Windows versions?

Oh ok, now that makes sense. Thanks.

Well, if you lost the key and never got a chance to install the OS, then you are screwed. That was the only proof of purchase you had.

However, you don't have to buy the full retail price. You can buy Vista OEM now, and receive a free Windows 7 coupon. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677.

Yeah, for someone who doesn't have a valid copy of Windows XP or Vista and wants 7, he could get it for $110. It'll still be a lot cheaper than Windows 7 Home Premium for the full (i.e., non-upgrade) version.

For anyone else who does have a valid recent MS OS and wants 7, pay the $50 for the upgrade.

I haven't been able to get anyone at Microsoft to "lay down the law" with respect to whether Windows 7 will actually require you to insert physical media during the "upgrade" installation (whether you're doing an actual upgrade or using the media for a clean installation on a blank hard drive/partition). I've asked around and no solid yes or no yet. I even just asked someone new to this forum that claims to be part of the Windows 7 Client Team but she hasn't responded yet to the question...

If Windows 7 does require physical media for checking (as 9x used to do so long ago), then you'll need a real physical disc to swap during the installation at some point, which most legit people should certainly have, so it's not an issue.

The question is whether the disc swap is forced or just a potential way it's done - that's the question nobody has answered yet and might not for several weeks.

We'll see what happens...

The only people that have real issues with WGA are those people that do everything they can to avoid it, simple. And that means everyone, whether it's a totally legit owner that simply doesn't think it's necessary (it is for proper operation of the OS and updates, like it or not), and those not so legit folks who think it's not necessary (it is, for the aforementioned reasons).

Like it or not, it's pretty much the way things are done with Windows now, soooo...

No idea on Vista, but WGA on XP is forever broken. Anyone that wants to get past it and appear legal can do it (don't ask me how, I don't want to encourage people to use XP ;))

Whether or not doing that compromises the security of your PC, I have no idea.

If it's secure on Vista/7, then good for MS....if it's like XP, I don't understand the point of it.

I take it the Vista Home Premium OEM with Win7 upgrade coupon isn't going to get me a copy of Win7 Pro, right?

I have a legit copy of XP for my desktop but am using the free RC1 for my HTPC I just put together. Definitely interested in whether I can technically (if not ethically) use the one XP disc/installation for two upgrade editions, especially since I want Win7 Pro to be able to remote into my HTPC and a full version of that would be pretty pricey.

Probably best to put my pre-order in and check out the news in a few months. Can't hurt.

How long did it take for newegg to charge everyone's credit cards? I ordered earlier today and it is still on hold.

I bit for Home Premium. I was contemplating between Newegg and Amazon and decided to to with the 'egg. :cool:

i dont think this has been answered yet... it may not be possible to know yet- "what will the OEM win7 HP cost?"

since the retail upgrade will cost $119 (after the 1/2 deal expires) shouldnt the oem full version cost less?

How long did it take for newegg to charge everyone's credit cards? I ordered earlier today and it is still on hold.

I'm pretty sure they don't charge it until it ships.

I'm pretty sure they don't charge it until it ships.

Damn... who knows if I'll have that much money in my account in 4 months. I kind of wish they would charge my card now.

edit: I just canceled my newegg pre-order and did it at Best Buy since they are charging right away. I actually ended up saving $3 after taxes since I had a $10 reward zone coupon.

Last edited:
Damn... who knows if I'll have that much money in my account in 4 months. I kind of wish they would charge my card now.
Wow, you gotta be kidding me. If you are that irresponsible you don't deserve a credit card. Period.

Btw, I'll be getting my copy of Home Premium tonight. I tried the RC1, and it's awesome. I can't wait.

Wow, you gotta be kidding me. If you are that irresponsible you don't deserve a credit card. Period.

Btw, I'll be getting my copy of Home Premium tonight. I tried the RC1, and it's awesome. I can't wait.

I don't have a credit card. I have a debit card. And I'm a student that only works 20 hours a week. While I may have money now there is no guarantee that I'll have money in October.

I don't have a credit card. I have a debit card. And I'm a student that only works 20 hours a week. While I may have money now there is no guarantee that I'll have money in October.

Put that money you have right now into a savings account and then forget about it until Oct. Granted, you won't earn much interest on it these days. But it doesn't take a whole lot of discipline or fiscal responsibility to stash away $50 or $100 that you right now for 3-4 months.

edit: I just canceled my newegg pre-order and did it at Best Buy since they are charging right away. I actually ended up saving $3 after taxes since I had a $10 reward zone coupon.

Best Buy will release the hold in about a week, then re-hold the money once a month or so to make sure you still have it, either way you won't actually be charged until it ships.

Best Buy will release the hold in about a week, then re-hold the money once a month or so to make sure you still have it, either way you won't actually be charged until it ships.

Yea, I found out about that when I saw I had $100 more than I should have in my account. It sees the only way to get it charged would be to get a gift certificate since my account usually stays on the low side.

Is there not going to be a Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade?

There is, but you have to pay the full upgrade price. Basically, whether you have Vista Home Basic or are one of the suckers who bought Vista Ultimate, it costs the same rip-off price ($219, I think) to get 7 Ultimate.

No worries, I suppose. I got my Ultimate free from MS. Pre-purchased Home Premium from Amazon :D

Cool, that's funny going from Ultimate to Home Premium, but for many (even most?), Ultimate's probably not worth it and probably Pro isn't either given its 2x price premium.

I had some questions regarding upgrading from both XP Pro & Vista Home Basic, so I called Microsoft and they provided me some answers. More specifically, they gave me the phone # to the MS Store (877-696-7786) and they provided the answers I was looking for.

DISCLAIMER: DON'T BLAME ME IF ANY/ALL OF THIS INFORMATION TURNS OUT TO BE WRONG, THIS IS SIMPLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A REPRESENTATIVE FROM THE MS STORE!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Q1) Can I use the W7 pre-order upgrade offer to go from Vista Home Basic to either Win7 Home Premium OR Win7 Professional, depending on my preference?
A1) Yes; you may choose either 7 Pro or 7 Home Premium when upgrading from any other version that supports upgrade to Win7: (Win2k.....WinXP Home, Pro, Media Center Edition.....Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate). The only caveat is that Vista Home Basic, any version of WinXP, and Win2k must perform a "clean install", meaning you must backup all your files/settings before you perform the upgrade, as they will not be saved when upgrading in this manner.

Q2) Can I perform the "clean install" by booting directly from the Win7 upgrade disc, or must the upgrade be started from within the operating system being upgraded and choose the "clean install" option from the installer?
A2) You may choose whichever method you prefer, but a "clean install" by way of booting from the Win7 upgrade disc is supported. Again, make sure you backup any files/settings you wish to keep before performing a "clean install" (regardless of the method), as they will not be saved when upgrading in this manner.

Q3) If my existing Windows operating system is 32-bit, can I choose the 64-bit version of Win7 when upgrading?
A3) Yes, you may upgrade from 32-bit Windows XP/Vista to 64-bit Win7, as long as your hardware supports 64-bit; however, doing so requires you to select the "clean install" option. Once again, backup any files/settings you wish to keep before performing a "clean install", as they will not be saved when upgrading in this manner.

Q4) Are there separate install discs for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win7, or are both versions on the same disc?
A4) All versions of Win7 (including the upgrade editions) contain both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the operating system on the same disc, so there is no need to worry about which one you need to purchase.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If you need verification on these questions (or any others), I'd call the MS Store instead of trying to contact MS tech support....they had very little wait time, I waited for less than 2 minutes once completing the initial phone tree options before I was speaking with a live person. Again, their # is 877-696-7786.

If you get answers to any other questions other than what I posted, be sure to come back here and post them for others to see.

it seems that the upgrade versions don't have many downsides, besides the obvious killing of your vista key. i still think im going to wait for release day to see what OEM prices are....

Is it possible to use the upgrade disk over and over again if I kill off multiple XP keys?

Never really gone the way of the upgrade since I've usually be able to get a retail XP version or Vista legally. I know my dad has 3 XP, 2 are retail, that are not really used any more.

Is it possible to use the upgrade disk over and over again if I kill off multiple XP keys?

Never really gone the way of the upgrade since I've usually be able to get a retail XP version or Vista legally. I know my dad has 3 XP, 2 are retail, that are not really used any more.

You would still need a Valid Upgrade key...

it's not possible legally.....each upgrade disc has its own CD key, the same way any other version of windows does, so once you've activated it once on one computer, it can't be legally activated again on a different computer, even if the other computer has a different WinXP CD key. the only exception would be if your hardware died or you NEED to move it to another computer for some reason....in such cases, you MAY be able to get them to let you move it to a different computer, but doing so will invalidate the activation of the first.

But at $50 each, upgrading from WinXP is a no-brainer.....you've saved a TON of money already by not upgrading to Vista, so you can look at it as though you paid $25 to upgrade to Vista, then $25 again for Win7.

i mean, it's still a lot of money to upgrade multiple computers from XP to 7, but if you want to stay supported by MS in the way of product updates, you're gonna need to upgrade anyway....you may as well do so as cheaply as possible, since later on, the full price will be $120 for 7 Home Premium and $200 for 7 Pro (for the upgrade versions). you do the math.

i did not upgrade to Vista from my WinXP Pro because i just had a feeling that it wasn't going to be received very well....which means that they were either going to extend support for WinXP or come out with the next new OS a lot sooner than they wanted.

they ended up doing both.

but now, after having run the Win7 RC for a little while, it runs well enough on my hardware that at this price, there's no reason not to upgrade....any annoyances i still have with Win7 are either going to be addressed directly by MS in the future, or can be solved by using 3rd-party applications now.

There is, but you have to pay the full upgrade price. Basically, whether you have Vista Home Basic or are one of the suckers who bought Vista Ultimate, it costs the same rip-off price ($219, I think) to get 7 Ultimate.

or you can buy Professional for $99.00 and upgrade to ultimate from that, which is almost certainly less than buying Ultimate outright.

With that said, it's pretty hard to justify buying Ultimate. The only feature I see that's useful for home users is bit locker.

if you get it for free, then might as well use it, but otherwise, I just don't get why anyone would pay an extra $100+ for it. This isn't the same as Vista (though I couldn't justify it then either), where that was the only way to get an os with teh Home features and the ability to connect to a domain.

I'm definitely looking at getting home premium, but also saw professional had the xp-mode. Would it be worth the upgrade price for just xp-mode? Or is it pretty much a useless feature for the average user?

I thought the same thing but the feature is for business that still use XP programs that will only run in XP. Its pretty rare for the average user to find software that is not compatible or will only run in XP

Back