Windows 7 Updates

lone wolf

Gawd
I have been installing SSD's into laptops and have noticed that the update process in Windows 7 is taking forever now. The latest one that I have installed took over night to find all of the updates,

Is anyone else having this problem? I am not installing Windows 10 just yet for our business,

Yes, there is a bug with Windows Update in Windows 7. After you do a clean install of 7 manually install this update. It may also help to manually update the Windows Update client prior to scanning for updates with this update.

its one of many ms plans to annoy win 7 installers to move to 10 or 8. I think i would install a preupdated iso before trying to update win 7 these days. I remember having that issue almost 2 years ago so its been broke for a while

The issue is Microsoft's absolute refusal to issue SP2 for Windows 7. They don't care if it's the preferred OS for business. They think they know what OS is better for you.

The sad part is they support cumulative updates for multiple branches of code for 8, 8.1 and 10 yet refuse to give 7 users any love what-so-ever. It's really disappointing.

The issue with Windows update taking 1+ hours and eating up 50% CPU while doing so, has been an issue for quite a while. Though it's, more or less, random.
eg, yesterday I updated 5 Win7 machines and 1 Win10 machine.
3 of them were fine; only a few minutes to check for updates and start downloading/installing.
2 of them chugged along at "Checking for updates" for ~1-1.5 hours, only to return with "No updates available."
Restart check for updates, and 2 hours later they finally show available updates.
My Win10 machine though? Absolutely no issue.

All machines were patched at the same time.

It's also still mentioned a lot on the patchmanagement.org mailing list.

All machines were 100% up to date prior to this month's patches, so it was not a WU agent issue.

I noticed one of my older laptops "W7 64bit" absolutely wouldn't update so not using it much I went for W10 install and it ran up until checking for updates and hung there for an hour, at that point I bailed. Now none of my windows 7 PCs will update, they just hang on "checking for updates". I'm glad it's not just me.

I noticed one of my older laptops "W7 64bit" absolutely wouldn't update so not using it much I went for W10 install and it ran up until checking for updates and hung there for an hour, at that point I bailed. Now none of my windows 7 PCs will update, they just hang on "checking for updates". I'm glad it's not just me.

Check this MS Knowledge Base 3138612 for the probable solution to your issue. If you haven't already, you might want to download and install MS Knowledge Base 3102810 first. Hope this helps.

The KB3102810 is the first thing I install after a fresh Win 7 SP1 install now. It has been 100% effective so far but it's certainly not 100% guaranteed to fix the issue, some people still have massive issues. I just reloaded a Win 10 box yesterday from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive onto a 850 EVO SSD and I had it installed and fully updated in less time it takes to scan a Win 7 machine just for updates. :p

I created slipstream ISOs for Windows 7 SP1 32-bit and 64-bit with latest (April 2016) updates. Deployed already with both retail and OEM licensing (took some work) and cut down my deployment time. Just wish I did this like 2 years ago.

I created slipstream ISOs for Windows 7 SP1 32-bit and 64-bit with latest (April 2016) updates. Deployed already with both retail and OEM licensing (took some work) and cut down my deployment time. Just wish I did this like 2 years ago.

yeah... that does nothing to resolve the issue when existing machines go to check for updates and take hours just to see what's available/applicable all the while the process is also eating up 50% CPU

Having the issue on one out of 5 Win 7 systems. CPU spikes to 100% for hours at a time until I kill the process. I have all the Windows client updates already installed and this one system just won't get the updates. Might just have to download the patches manually this month.

Having the issue on one out of 5 Win 7 systems. CPU spikes to 100% for hours at a time until I kill the process. I have all the Windows client updates already installed and this one system just won't get the updates. Might just have to download the patches manually this month.

Looks like I may have fixed this troubled system. Went into the software distribution folder and deleted all the files. After the reboot I immediately (and I mean instantly) had all the updates pending.

This is the folder:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

yeah... that does nothing to resolve the issue when existing machines go to check for updates and take hours just to see what's available/applicable all the while the process is also eating up 50% CPU
I've used WSUS Offline Update to install updates locally. Not a perfect solution, but will help with bandwidth at least. Sometimes I'll just restart a machine if its stuck at Windows Updates and when I go back in, boom, the updates are there ready to install.

Sp33dFr33k - thanks for that tip. I believe that did the trick for me as well. Did your tip, then rebooted & came back & let it sit & discover the updates on it's own. Took just a few mins & it found them & started downloading them. Took shower & came back & it has installed 110 of 232 updates so far ... Cheers M8

It's been noted by multiple people in this thread that a KB was released to fix the issue. If you slipstream that update into media or an image, or install it manually, then you won't have the problem. The issue is resolved.

Trust me Micro$oft knows about the issue as well. They don't care right now. I don't think it's a tactic as much as it a result of windows 10. They are so focused on Win10 now, they will fix it later. I agree with whoever said they have too much on their plate right now. With them still supporting Vista to now Win10, not to mention all the server side, enterprise & office software out there right now. I'm more then sure they are overrun. But that sounds like a "their" problem, & not a "my" problem to me.

BTW I deleted those files Sp33d was talking about. Then rebooted & did the KB update posted above. Then rebooted again. That is from a clean install of Win7 Pro 64 bit SP1

Now it saw & is installing 232 updates after that. So seems to have worked.

It's been noted by multiple people in this thread that a KB was released to fix the issue. If you slipstream that update into media or an image, or install it manually, then you won't have the problem. The issue is resolved.

it's been experienced by myself and many others that the March WUA update does not resolve the issue. I even included a link where the issues are persisting even with the March WUA installed.
My initial post in this thread also noted that my machines were 100% up to date, including the March WUA, when April's patches were released. The "Checking for updates" process still took over 1 hour.

Therefore no, the issue is not resolved.

it's been experienced by myself and many others that the March WUA update does not resolve the issue. I even included a link where the issues are persisting even with the March WUA installed.
My initial post in this thread also noted that my machines were 100% up to date, including the March WUA, when April's patches were released. The "Checking for updates" process still took over 1 hour.

Therefore no, the issue is not resolved.
I"m not talking about the WUA update. I'm talking about the high cpu utilization hotfix.

Check this MS Knowledge Base 3138612 for the probable solution to your issue. If you haven't already, you might want to download and install MS Knowledge Base 3102810 first. Hope this helps.
Thanks, My main PCs are updated now, however my old ASUS laptop just isn't wanting to comply, I might mention that this laptop hasn't been used since April of last year. I've tried everything...I mean everything I've google searched before posting and it's just not going to work. Again thanks for you reply on the KBs I needed. The ASUS laptop needs a SSD real bad so I might start from scratch with an EVO and if it doesn't work, a bonus drive for my main PCs and a new target (laptop) for the the Gun club.

I had issue with two laptops running Windows 7; what Sp33dFr33k suggested was the route that I took. The KB was a miss on my part. While it seems to be checking infinitely, at some point I noticed that the Shutdown had an exclamation, which was Shutdown and Install Updates. Updates were installing on shutdown.

I"m not talking about the WUA update. I'm talking about the high cpu utilization hotfix.

We've been deploying 3102810 since it was released.
It was already installed on my machines that continue to experience the issue.

Windows Update doesn't even work for me anymore wuauserv (windows update) just runs at 12% of my CPU 24/7, taking up between 1-1.5GB of RAM. If I try to download updates it just sits there at 0% forever.

Microsoft apparently is trying to not only force people to Win 7 with all the popups and shit, but sabotaging it. Until around August last year I had zero issues with Win 7.. Ever since they've been turning it into WinME.

Windows 7 has been going the way of the dodo bird for a long time now.

I doubt that is going to change.

Using two builds of Win 10 here myself, have Win 10 Insider build 14316 on the main rig myself.

The newer Redstone improvements are looking pretty solid, overall.

windows-insider-ninjacat-100597598-orig.png

Windows 7 has been going the way of the dodo bird for a long time now.

I doubt that is going to change.
It's called obsolescence by design. Win7 is a perfectly suitable OS but Microsoft don't want us using it because no app store and other bullshit. I run Win8.1 but if I was having this issue I would go to one of those alternative Win update sites. There are a couple of them around.

Hows that relevant to Microsoft intentionally torpedoing it? I don't want to be forced to go to Windows 10 and have the nightmare of trying to get MT-32 and GM working again for Dosbox when I could just use this computer for another 2 years and upgrade to the new OS with a new computer, and keep this one just for running those games, without ripping my hair out.

While Microsoft has never taken Apple's lead when it comes to forced obsolescence because you can run even Windows 7 on a machine that's very very old in terms of technology (Pentium, anyone? Yes, it can be done actually), now it seems they've finally just said "Fuck it..." and they're now running with the idea. I gave up a few weeks ago and while I still have Windows 7 installed in a VM (converted my physical machine recently) my primary day to day OS is... well, add an X there and you'll figure it out. :)

So now not only can I give Microsoft the finger for ruining what was arguably the best desktop operating system they ever created but at the same time I'm able to give Apple the finger too because I won't buy a Mac just to run an operating system I actually paid cash money for. ;)

Well the good news is that Linux is getting better at games and in a few years many die-hard Windows guys like ourselves will just migrate there. W7 as long as I can...by the time comes that I can't, ill move to something besides Windows AppStore/Walled Garden with more Government oversight and less Choices Edition ™

What is really odd about these update issues is they only seem to affect some systems and so far I've not seen the issue on a server OS. Just did a few installs of 2008 and 2008R2 for testing and got all updates extremely quickly without any patches. None of my Win7 machines have ever been an issue until the patches this month and that issue was with one system and was resolved. While I know MS wants everyone off Windows 7 since there's no money to be made with it, it doesn't seem like these updates issues are universal.

1996:
Well the good news is that Linux is getting better at games and in a few years many die-hard Windows guys like ourselves will just migrate there.

1998:
Well the good news is that Linux is getting better at games and in a few years many die-hard Windows guys like ourselves will just migrate there.

2000:

2002:

2004:

2006:

2008:

...etc.

Unless you get a sketchy one from "the interwebz" then you'd typically roll your own. Which means sitting through the glacial update process at least once.
to each there own i guess.....generally speaking after reading thru all the comments on custom iso torrents you can rule out the ones that could be a risk versus the ones uploaded by people just wanting to help others....some are actually very clean. (at least i have never detected an infection running every scan i could find) if im doing a freebie for a chick yea im going the time saver route if possile:)

The [H]ard method would be to capture a .wim from a fully patched Windows 7 VM and use that to install Windows 7.

The [H]ard method would be to capture a .wim from a fully patched Windows 7 VM and use that to install Windows 7.
Sure i agree if i were still using win 7 for myself and immediate friends i would learn to roll my own..updating vanilla win 7 is horse shit

Back