Windows 7 Pro (Multiple Computers)

AlphaQ

Limp Gawd
I have a question regarding Windows 7 Professional. I recently bought the DVD which includes the 32 and 64 bit DVDs. Would it be possible to install this on my desktop computer as well as my netbook with 1 license key or is it strictly 1 key per 1 computer?

If you follow EULA:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

No simultaneous activated installs or either OEM or Retail Windows 7 using the same product key.

If OEM, the product key is married to the machine it was activated on. Basically this means a serious hardware change (like new motherboard or attempting to activate the key on a new system) will raise an activation issue.

Thanks for clarifying. What got me wondering is why would they package 32 and 64 bit together if that was the case...

My W7 came with 2 DVDs. One was 32bit and one was 64bit. If they did not let you use 1 key for multiple computers then it is a moot point to package 2 discs in one. They should be sold individually is my point.

AlphaQ -
So down the road if you upgrade to to more than 4gb mem, you wouldnt mind having to buy a new OS license to get 64bit DVD?

They should be sold individually is my point.
Why? The license allows you to use either version - either 32-bit or 64-bit - on your one machine. If they can't fit them both on one disc, they ship 2 discs. Seems simple enough to me.

Thanks for clarifying. What got me wondering is why would they package 32 and 64 bit together if that was the case...
.... so you can choose to install 32 or 64 bit? You can't have both on one disc. It's better than how they did it with Vista where you had to pay money to change your disc.

im glad microsoft sent both. better to have both than just to have one.....btw 4.5 years and still a noobie?

I had an experience last night I'd like to relate.

I called the Microsoft store regarding my copy of Windows 7 Professional (Full Retail). I wanted clarification on the 32 versus 64 bit licensing, so I asked the question: is there any issue with activating the 32 bit version of Windows 7 on my existing desktop PC then removing that 6 months from now to install on a new 64 bit system?

The Microsoft rep told me that the license for Windows 7 Professional comes with access to both 32 and 64 bit versions, and that the software is licensed for use on "one desktop PC and one portable device, such as a netbook or laptop." I then asked for clarification on the movement from one system to another and he said that I would need to completely remove Windows 7 from the old PC before moving it to the new one (I understood this to be the case).

Again he repeated the statement that it was licensed for use on "one desktop PC and one portable device, such as a netbook or laptop." I said, are you saying that I can install and activate Windows 7 on my laptop as well, because I have a laptop also and would like to have Windows 7 on it in addition to my desktop.

The Microsoft rep said "absolutely" I could do this with my copy of Windows 7.

I have never heard this before, what are your thoughts on this? I would like to attempt the second activation, but I don't want to cast my key in question if this was some kind of screw up on his part.

I called the Microsoft store regarding my copy of Windows 7 Professional (Full Retail). I wanted clarification on the 32 versus 64 bit licensing, so I asked the question: is there any issue with activating the 32 bit version of Windows 7 on my existing desktop PC then removing that 6 months from now to install on a new 64 bit system?

The Microsoft rep told me that the license for Windows 7 Professional comes with access to both 32 and 64 bit versions, and that the software is licensed for use on "one desktop PC and one portable device, such as a netbook or laptop." I then asked for clarification on the movement from one system to another and he said that I would need to completely remove Windows 7 from the old PC before moving it to the new one (I understood this to be the case).

Again he repeated the statement that it was licensed for use on "one desktop PC and one portable device, such as a netbook or laptop." I said, are you saying that I can install and activate Windows 7 on my laptop as well, because I have a laptop also and would like to have Windows 7 on it in addition to my desktop.

I have never heard this before, what are your thoughts on this? I would like to attempt the second activation, but I don't want to cast my key in question if this was some kind of screw up on his part.

That sounds like it could be true... I would call again to make sure though.

Interesting. I know that this is how the volume licenses of Office that we have at work are. The agreement stipulates that installing it on a desktop and a laptop that both belong to the same user only constitutes the use of one license. I'm paraphrasing.

Nice to hear that this is the case for retail version of Windows Pro. It may not be the case with the Home versions though.

Interesting. I know that this is how the volume licenses of Office that we have at work are. The agreement stipulates that installing it on a desktop and a laptop that both belong to the same user only constitutes the use of one license. I'm paraphrasing.

Nice to hear that this is the case for retail version of Windows Pro. It may not be the case with the Home versions though.

I have heard the same thing with Office. It can be installed on a desktop and a laptop belonging to the same end-user.

can't remember where I heard/read it though; but I have, more than once.

Right from the Win 7 Pro EULA. There are only 2 EULA's for Microsoft software. One for retail, whether full or upgrade, purchased in store or online. The other EULA is for those who have Microsoft software installed on a PC they buy from an OEM.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
10. BACKUP COPY.
a. Media. If you acquired the software on a disc or other media, you may make one backup copy of the media. You may use it only to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer.You may not do so to share this license between computers.
Sounds like that Microsoft employee doesn't know what they are talking about.

The desktop/laptop thing applies to Microsoft Office and I think used to apply to Windows XP a long time ago under the original XP EULA. These days, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 product keys are not usable on more than one machine at a time.

Back