Windows 7 One version petition

I gotta say, that's a bit ridiculous... and it'll never happen. Wheels are in motion, development is nearly finished, and it's way way too late to get Microsoft to throw the brakes on now and stick with a single SKU. Contracts are signed, etc etc...

6 months ago this might have mattered, but not anymore.

But just for the record, I wouldn't have signed off on it back then either...

Meh, never had trouble with multiple version.

Ultimate: Has everything.
Home Premium: Lacks a little
Home Basic: Crippled version
Business/everything else: Don't care

Not too difficult :)

Earlier versions has multiple editions too: Pro/Home/Server/x64/Media Center, trailing back all the way to Windows 286 and 386.

For Vista, as an example, Microsoft has had a chart up, clearly showing the differences from even before Vista was released. If a person can't do the research themselves, then it is their own fault if they are missing features they need. How many times have we seen a "What Vista should I get" thread? It isn't Microsoft's job to make up for laziness.

I wouldn't want to see only one sku. If there was just one, then it would cost too much. They need to have three basic skews --

Home
Business
Ultimate

I'd agree with that. One version for Home (for the average joe, not Joe Average), one for Business, and one for both worlds.

If you are too stupid to firgure out the different versions maybe you should just use Linux. Only one version of that right?:p

If you are too stupid to firgure out the different versions maybe you should just use Linux. Only one version of that right?:p

I don't know that I'd call it stupidity... they did go a little overboard with Vista. And when you consider the average person is going to either walk into Best Buy and buy retail, , or get it over the phone when they're ordering their new computer -- talking to either sales force is just confusing since they don't really know what they're talking about.

True story : last computer I ordered from dell was basically an internet kiosk. I asked to verify that it had an onboard nic, and the lady told me that it wasn't fast enough to go on the internet and I would have to upgrade to the more expensive model to do that. When I told her I would take my chances, she informed me that my warranty would be void if I tried to use the internet on it. Imagine what gets told to people when they're just buying an OS and not a whole PC!

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Online petitions, accomplishing nothing since 1995.

I don't know that I'd call it stupidity... they did go a little overboard with Vista. And when you consider the average person is going to either walk into Best Buy and buy retail, , or get it over the phone when they're ordering their new computer -- talking to either sales force is just confusing since they don't really know what they're talking about.

True story : last computer I ordered from dell was basically an internet kiosk. I asked to verify that it had an onboard nic, and the lady told me that it wasn't fast enough to go on the internet and I would have to upgrade to the more expensive model to do that. When I told her I would take my chances, she informed me that my warranty would be void if I tried to use the internet on it. Imagine what gets told to people when they're just buying an OS and not a whole PC!

Perhaps, I guess I'm so close to this stuff that its hard for me to discern what's simple and what's not for the average consumer. But realistically for the home user you only had three options, Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate and I think its pretty clear what the differences are. I've explained to many people and everyone seemed to have gotten in a couple of minutes.

I think that maybe that could do away with Home Basic and just have Home and Ultimate. There's no need to sell the enterprise networking stuff to home users that will never connect to an enterprise network I think.

Who wrote that petition?

This led to confusion and frustration amongst your users.

Having a choice to what you buy is a good thing. I don't to pay for crap I don't plan on using, sell me a version that has features close to what I need and I will pay for that, thanks.

Premium is my choice and I am glad I have that choice instead of having to buy a single "Ultimate" version full of features I would never use.

I guess maybe I don't confuse easily unlike the author of this petition?

How hard is it to figure out what you need? But, I would agree with Demon10000, Home, Business, and Ultimate would be a quite the simple setup.

I'd prefer the option to buy a cheaper, stripped down, "barebones" version with out any useless apps preinstalled and/or the option to download and install them from Microsoft. I'm not holding my breath.

I'd prefer the option to buy a cheaper, stripped down, "barebones" version with out any useless apps preinstalled and/or the option to download and install them from Microsoft. I'm not holding my breath.

Don't know where you've been that that's what is going on with Windows 7. No mail, or movie maker, photo viewer, etc. Lot's of people are complaining about it actually.

Don't know where you've been that that's what is going on with Windows 7. No mail, or movie maker, photo viewer, etc. Lot's of people are complaining about it actually.

I've still got an entire start menu full of programs I'll never use on my copy of Win 7.

The versions are SO not confusing. If you are confused, simply get 'ultimate,' it has everything so you won't have any problems at all. If you think you could pay less and be just as well off, then it's up to YOU to do a little research to find that out. Damn these people are lazy SOBs. MS also has anytime upgrade, so you don't have to buy two copies of Vista if you get Home Premium for instance and decide you want ultimate, you just pay the difference and get Ultimate. MS has made this as easy and convenient as anyone could want and these idiots still complain.

The versions are SO not confusing. If you are confused, simply get 'ultimate,' it has everything so you won't have any problems at all. If you think you could pay less and be just as well off, then it's up to YOU to do a little research to find that out. Damn these people are lazy SOBs. MS also has anytime upgrade, so you don't have to buy two copies of Vista if you get Home Premium for instance and decide you want ultimate, you just pay the difference and get Ultimate. MS has made this as easy and convenient as anyone could want and these idiots still complain.

Thats what idiots do.
When people can barely figure out how to use word, and get thrown for a loop when they find out its not a part of windows it self (true story, I have to explain this every day)
have to have help form thier kids to use iTunes to fill thier ipods with mp3s, etc,
the last thing they want to choose is what version of windows they want.
I think the 3 skus is better than like 7 or 8.

Also people complain, if they cant find something simple to complain about they will dig until they find something to complain about. It whats they do. I have so many stories of the stupid shit I hear people complain about all day I could sit here for DAYS and still have some material left over.

I love W7 and Vista as much as anyone else, but I think the Microsoft fanboyism in this particular subforum has gotten out of hand. Everytime someone brings up something pertaining to Windows, they get shot down, called idiots, etc. Chill out motherfuckers.

I prefer different SKU's actually. Every major retailer had a huge chart for Vista displaying what each version had/lacked. Msoft's site still has that info if anybody is willing to do 5 sec research.

While having Ultimate makes my e-penis feel big, it doesn't really matter. Come Win7, I will probably get something that simply fits my needs and save few hundred dollars. There are those that need every feature Ultimate has and those who simply want to game on their system and utilize the latest and greatest.

While i do not agree with the theme choises in home basic, I think other SKU's should be kept intact. Why should I pay extra $$$ to have features I will never use?

I hardly use any of the built in applications anymore.

Don't use mail, I use gmail.google.com instead.
Don't use Movie Maker, I like my movies in a format other than .wmv. I use Vegas 8 instead.
Don't use photo viewer, I use an online photo album.

I do use Paint though. The one in Vista actually has the exact amount of built in functionality to meet my simple needs in a graphic editing program.

Here is my input on this...
1. Starter isn't needed. It is easier to lower the price for certain language versions
2. Home basic - People need this for netbook market.
3. Home Premium - Required
4. Professional - Required for business
5. Enterprise - No. There should be one version for business.
6. Ultimate - People need this for hobbyists

Here is my input on this...
4. Professional - Required for business
5. Enterprise - No. There should be one version for business.
Are not these two the same feature set, but #4 is a per machine license and #5 is a VLK? If so, sounds good to me.

Are not these two the same feature set, but #4 is a per machine license and #5 is a VLK? If so, sounds good to me.

It would just easier to rewrite the license manager for the business editions. Small to mid companies might want to switch to a site license in the future.

Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Professional are all they actually need. The Enterprise stuff I don't even consider something that should be discussed for the average Joe (not me, I assure you). But the XP-style two version concept is still the best, and I would hope Microsoft would have realized this but... alas... that does not appear to be the case.

I wish they would put the more business-centric items into Professional, however - BitLocker, and some other stuff that should have been in Vista Business to start with. If they can do that, make Windows 7 Professional the OS it truly should be, then I'll be somewhat satisfied.

It's not like I'll be paying for any of this stuff anyway, but even so... :)

Yeah, online petitions. Those totally always work.

lol my thoughts exactly.
I don't care how many versions there are, but I'd love to see them ditch the 32bit editions. I know, I'll start an online petition.

Three versions, Home, Business and Ultimate. That would be clean and nice. That said I think that with netbooks they do need to make a distinction there, Netbook Home and Netbook Business. The Netbook versions could be just a little lighter with no Media Center on the Home edition. So five versions that have a clear meaning and purpose. As long as it CLEAR for what environment each version serves, I don't see the problem.

The main thing to do is to keep the pricing down. A $400 Ultimate (though anyone how pays retail is a nut) would be very bad PR especially considering the economic environment.

lol my thoughts exactly.
I don't care how many versions there are, but I'd love to see them ditch the 32bit editions. I know, I'll start an online petition.

They just can't ditch 32bit editions. For one, what about netbooks? 32bit just isn't going away soon no matter how much we may want it to.

They just can't ditch 32bit editions. For one, what about netbooks? 32bit just isn't going away soon no matter how much we may want it to.
I fail to see what 32 bit has to do with netbooks. The Atom is a 64bit CPU, so is the Via Nano.

In fact, all CPU's currently on the market today have x86-64.

Back