Windows 7 Home Premium $29.99 for students

I used my girlfriends still active .edu to get the pro version. Following the steps posted everywhere I burned the .iso with no issues and formatted my RC install with this. Running 7 Pro flawlessly and activated in under an hour without a single hiccup.

I'm satisfied.

+1 for a satisfied customer. After using my student email to get Win7 for $29.99, I used my work email to get Office 2007 for $9.95. For $40, I'm finally up to date from XP/Office2003!

+1 for a satisfied customer. After using my student email to get Win7 for $29.99, I used my work email to get Office 2007 for $9.95. For $40, I'm finally up to date from XP/Office2003!
Sweet deal. I'm still 6 years behind. :eek: And Office 2007 costs me $20 through work, which isn't too bad, but not like your $10 steal deal. :cool:

I'll probably jump on the Windows 7 student copy and order the DVD so I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

have anyone tries to install on different motherboard after first activation? does it work like OEM version?

I am pretty sure its not a upgrade version since I can do a clean install without my Vista CDKEY

but there is something funny reply from retailer

-------------------------------
Thank you for ordering from the Windows 7 Student Offer online store.

We apologize for the confusion that this may have caused you.

Windows 7 products offered online were all upgrade versions.

Please use the Upgrade Advisor located at:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=131658

Sincerely,
Edith C.
Windows 7 Student Offer online store
Customer Service
[email protected]
Email ID: 12262274
----------------------------

and before that they said its a full version...

it seriously confuse me right now...

Well I just tried a clean install on a brand new build with the Student Deal win 7 download. I am using 64bit and like I said was a clean install. Tried my product key during installation and it didnt work. Skipped it and went back to try it when everything was finished. Activation failed again saying my key was for "upgrade only" and NOT useable for a clean install. I guess I have to do the double install for this to work correct? I thought this was a full retail key? I bought it suspecting that was the case.... any help

Just do the upgrade from Windows 7 again. That's what I'm going to have to do also.

Well I just tried a clean install on a brand new build with the Student Deal win 7 download. I am using 64bit and like I said was a clean install. Tried my product key during installation and it didnt work. Skipped it and went back to try it when everything was finished. Activation failed again saying my key was for "upgrade only" and NOT useable for a clean install. I guess I have to do the double install for this to work correct? I thought this was a full retail key? I bought it suspecting that was the case.... any help

Just do the upgrade from Windows 7 again. That's what I'm going to have to do also.

If you already have it installed, try the Method #2 registry trick to activate it: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

have anyone tries to install on different motherboard after first activation? does it work like OEM version?

I am pretty sure its not a upgrade version since I can do a clean install without my Vista CDKEY

but there is something funny reply from retailer

-------------------------------
Thank you for ordering from the Windows 7 Student Offer online store.

We apologize for the confusion that this may have caused you.

Windows 7 products offered online were all upgrade versions.

Please use the Upgrade Advisor located at:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=131658

Sincerely,
Edith C.
Windows 7 Student Offer online store
Customer Service
[email protected]
Email ID: 12262274
----------------------------

and before that they said its a full version...

it seriously confuse me right now...

Funny is not that word I would use...if this is true, MS has screwed up this student deal from one end to the other.

Did the double install and everything activated just fine. One problem though, I can't seem to get the windows experience index to finish correctly. It runs it's little program but always fails at the end. Any ideas as to why?

My school has Windows 7 Pro full version for $80 for students. Can I reuse the key over several computers just like with XP pro versions or is it just one computer/one key thing now?

If you already have it installed, try the Method #2 registry trick to activate it: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

That article is great. I caught its link on a ZDNet article. I'm going to try to install my Win 7 HP Upgrade DVD on a newly formatted HDD and try all 3 methods, if necessary. Hopefully I won't have to do the double install.

One thing that confused me about Method #2 (the registry hack) is that the author said to change MediaBootInstall's value from the default "1" to "0". Assuming activation works after running slmgr w/ admin privileges, should we change it back to "1" or leave it as "0"? :confused:

I think someone said that Windows RC has that value set to 0. I believe it's only used during the activation process because it's apart of OOBE (can be automated during install).

Anyone got their hard copy yet?

Still waiting. Hopefully today. I heard from other people that MS told them they would get it by Wednesday. *Cross Fingers*. I am going to be annoyed if I have to do this double install thing.

I think someone said that Windows RC has that value set to 0. I believe it's only used during the activation process because it's apart of OOBE (can be automated during install).

Oh, OK, thanks, so it doesn't matter what it's really set to once the Windows is activated.

Now I need to shop for a 1 or 1.5 TB HDD so that I can load Win 7 HP on the smaller one (clean install) for my HTPC.

Has anyone got their shipment in from DR. Is it an upgrade or full? more details?

I got mine from MS store. Includes 32 and 64 bit disc, retail full box.

Last edited:
AGAIN THIS WILL WORK EVEN IF IT SAYS YOUR KEY IS NOT VALID for this type of install etc...

if 32bit > 32bit (xp to win7) you might just be able to use the DL. same with vista.

for 32bit winxp to 64bit win7... just reposting my directions in case it helps!

what i had to do:

my school's mail server was down and i am leaving on a trip tomorrow... crunch time:
digital river phone number
952-253-1234

-call and ask to have product key sent to another email

1. use your hotmail/live account and download the 64bit 30 day trial, its an enterprise version

2. make sure you also have your download from digital river on another partition or drive, ready and extracted

3. burn the enterprise trial cd, you cannot use your product key with this
-once installed/booted into windows 7 > run your setup files from digital river

4. once installed a 2nd time, use your up to date product key

short version

1. install any windows 7 trial / demo that is not beta
2. reboot...
3. install the digital river on top... you have to do a custom install and format the pc again...
-since windows 7 is installed it will consider it an upgrade
4. use your product key

AGAIN THIS WILL WORK EVEN IF IT SAYS YOUR KEY IS NOT VALID for this type of install etc...

if 32bit > 32bit (xp to win7) you might just be able to use the DL. same with vista.

for 32bit winxp to 64bit win7... just reposting my directions in case it helps!

what i had to do:

my school's mail server was down and i am leaving on a trip tomorrow... crunch time:
digital river phone number
952-253-1234

-call and ask to have product key sent to another email

1. use your hotmail/live account and download the 64bit 30 day trial, its an enterprise version

2. make sure you also have your download from digital river on another partition or drive, ready and extracted

3. burn the enterprise trial cd, you cannot use your product key with this
-once installed/booted into windows 7 > run your setup files from digital river

4. once installed a 2nd time, use your up to date product key

short version

1. install any windows 7 trial / demo that is not beta
2. reboot...
3. install the digital river on top... you have to do a custom install and format the pc again...
-since windows 7 is installed it will consider it an upgrade
4. use your product key

Is this to me?

I don't care what can be done with whatever. I only care about what was in the box (UPS/FEDEX/USPS) from DR.

Anyone know?

Dunno if this was posted yet, but for those that want the backup DVD after the fact, here is the link: http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/buy/productID.16168
0600/quantity.1

You must first login with your email address and system generated password.

Is this to me?

I don't care what can be done with whatever. I only care about what was in the box (UPS/FEDEX/USPS) from DR.

Anyone know?

Although I don't know (yet). I remember from the Office steal thing, it was just a cardboard envelope with a legitimate retail (holographic/etc) DVD inside. No plastic packaging or anything. I don't think it even had a COA, but I can't remember exactly.

So what do you have to do to get the retail copy, order from DR without calling or call MS or what???

So what do you have to do to get the retail copy, order from DR without calling or call MS or what???

Call Microsoft Store directly @ 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), 8am to 1am Monday through Friday, and 12pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday Eastern time. Some people have reported long hold times (30-45 minutes). A rep got to me quickly (under 10 mins) both times I called.

I also only asked for the disk, not the download and paid about $38 with tax ($2.50) and shipping ($4.99).

Last edited:
Call Microsoft Store directly @ 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), 8am to 1am Monday through Friday, and 12pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday Eastern time. Some people have reported long hold times (30-45 minutes). A rep got to me quickly (under 10 mins) both times I called.

I also only asked for the disk, not the download and paid about $38 with tax ($2.50) and shipping ($4.99).

so u get a retail disk not upgrade with key?

OK

SO I bought Win 7 Pro X64 off of the link in this thread. Same place you go if you found it through the 741 website.

Then, I stumble across the Ultimate Steal. Different program, different ending date so I figure it is cool to buy another one plus I buy a copy of Office for grins. (i have to say, it seems like they will send you a confirmation and let you buy it as many times as you freaking want to)

Short version:
741 website download I converted to .iso and installed just like a full retail copy.
Ultimate Steal download converted to .iso would not take key forcing me to do double install and activate as an upgrade. Both were Pro X64.

So, one was a full retail copy, one was a true upgrade version. Seems like pure luck of the draw.

where is this ultimate steal program? I am interested. Also, still waiting on my disc from DR. There website says it could take 2-3 weeks... And they didn't charge me for the disc until last Monday.

Can anyone confirm exactly what they received in the mail from Digital River? Is it a retail box or just a cd + key?

(I've already ordered from the MS Store for my main system)

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm exactly what they received in the mail from Digital River? Is it a retail box or just a cd + key?

(I've already ordered from the MS Store for my main system)

Thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I got a shipping notification last Friday from DR and I still haven't received anything yet. Not sure why it's taking this long.

I'd like to know as well. I got a shipping notification last Friday from DR and I still haven't received anything yet. Not sure why it's taking this long.

People on slickdeals are reporting the same thing. Confirmation email with no tracking and no shipment.

Is the CD key that we received in the email the same as the one on the DVD digitalriver is sending?

I would think so. The key is what is valuable, so I don't see why they would give you a second key cause you ordered a backup disc. Let's hope these discs get here soon. I have been waiting for it so I don't have to mess with this whole exe mess up.

I got my disk from DR today, looks a retail disc but I installed and formated a drive that had xp on it so im not sure. There is no key on it you use the one in the email.
I like windows 7 many of improvements over xp.

I got my disc finally yesterday afternoon. I wasn't too impressed that you could simply lift the flap of the mailer and read the CD key. Looks legit though, I haven't installed yet, just got home from work and still running RC1. Hope everyone had a spooky night. :) Looking forward to turkey, I'm pretty much Halloweened out for this year.

Running Win7 now. Installation went fine. I burned an ISO and formatted with no issues and installed in 20 minutes. I was worried when I read all the problems people were having but I had no problems.

Go Windows 7!

still waiting on my BU media. no tracking number no nothin

did yours come via mail or ups/fedex?

never buying from digital river again thats for sure

Mine came regular 1st class mail I still haven't installed it yet, but will get around to it eventually. :eek:

When did you order?

Back