Windows 64-bit goes mainstream with Win7

Very nice. I've been telling people for years that 64-bit is & would become very relevant. I hope that by Windows 8, plenty of nails will be slammed into the 32-bit superiority coffin.

Company Wide we are going Win7 x64, netbooks, laptops, servers (many are already), workstations, desktops, everything !

I have not used x32 version of windows since xp. Kinda silly on MS part to include x32 for win 7 lol

It's just too bad we couldn't have taken this opportunity to redesign the architecture in a sensible way from the ground up. But awesome nonetheless.

I have not used x32 version of windows since xp. Kinda silly on MS part to include x32 for win 7 lol

Why? Not everyone has updated PC parts. A Good OS appeals to everyone.. Even if its old. Not to mention all apps are practically still 32bit.

Windows went mainstream 64 bit with Vista because it was the first OS that did it right. The only reason 64 bit 7 has sold a lot more is that now day's PC's are shipping with 4-8GB of ram. They didn't sell PC's with that much memory in mainstream markets in 2006 when Vista launched.

uhm all PC hadware sold since at least the Core 2 Duo is pretty much x64 capable. hanging onto x32 is a security risk as well so there really was no reason for windows 7 to be x32.

Raise your hand if you were one of the <1%'ers. I ran XP64 as a gaming rig for a year with ZERO issues. Drivers were in parity with the 32-bit versions and every game I threw at it ran fine.

If you're still using a 32-bit OS there are Amish farmers in Pennsylvania Dutch country laughing at you.

I'll raise 4 hands for 4 machines at work with WinXP 64. Core 2 quads.

And that was an upgrade from our old dual Xeon machines with Win2k.

Win7 ?? maybe in about 4-5 years!

Gotta love government projects!

It's just too bad we couldn't have taken this opportunity to redesign the architecture in a sensible way from the ground up. But awesome nonetheless.

Which arch? Windows? I think it's very sensibly designed. x86-64?. IA-64 would be an interesting replacement (Windows supports it), it just doesn't emulate x86 so great. :p

uhm all PC hadware sold since at least the Core 2 Duo is pretty much x64 capable. hanging onto x32 is a security risk as well so there really was no reason for windows 7 to be x32.

I'd say better to have everyone on Win 7, even if it was 32-bit, than to force people to stick with XP because they don't have a 64-bit compatible machine. I know I personally prefer having my old, but still servicable, laptop running Win 7 over XP.

That's quite an increase with Windows 7. Looking at flyers and other various computer advertisements I pretty much always see desktop, and most laptop PCs, saying it includes a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (usually Home Premium). I imagine a big chunk of the current Windows 7 32-bit sales is netbooks, which have been quite popular in the last year or two. Even most of the 64 bit capable systems seem to end up coming with 32-bit Windows 7 Starter (including my new Toshiba Mini NB305).

Which arch? Windows? I think it's very sensibly designed. x86-64?. IA-64 would be an interesting replacement (Windows supports it), it just doesn't emulate x86 so great. :p

Well I agree, it's very well designed from what they had to start from (x86). I just think it would have been nice to turf x86 once and for all and come up with something that unifies all the SIMD extensions and is more modern and cleanly designed.

To me, Vista was proof that x64 could work just fine for the everyday user. Windows 7 is just taking that one step farther.

I used x64 Vista as soon as I hit more than 2GB RAM (which was right as I upgraded). My old laptop was x86-by-force (old CPU). My new laptop has 4GB RAM and Windows 7 x64.

32-bit is for the weak.

I'll put 32-bit in a netbook. Because xp is dead and also for the weak. Though netbooks are weak so in this case the bill fits. :p

Most atoms out there (Netbooks, nettops, etc.) are still 32bit. Aside from that tho, i haven't run into any 32bit pc's in years.

Raise your hand if you were one of the <1%'ers. I ran XP64 as a gaming rig for a year with ZERO issues. Drivers were in parity with the 32-bit versions and every game I threw at it ran fine.

If you're still using a 32-bit OS there are Amish farmers in Pennsylvania Dutch country laughing at you.

From day 1 when XP Pro x64 appeared on MSDN I was running it, all the way from that day in 2005 till October of 2008 when the first leaked beta of Windows 7 came out, and then I knew I'd found my next OS. ;)

As long as people didn't buy crap hardware, some no-name non-branded stuff on the cheap shelf at CompUSSR or wherever, they would have discovered support from reputable manufacturers.

Nice report about the 64 bit "surge" - took a long time but it's here and it ain't going anywhere. 32 bit still has a place, but if you're not in that place and your hardware is fully 64 bit capable, there's barely any rational reason to keep using it.

/me gets back to work with Windows 7 Pro x64... ;)

Even though I'm using x64 at home on a computer with 4GB of ram, I will continue to use x86 on anything that is for someone else or especially under 2GB. The fact is the default is x86 for most things and I'm not going to give someone a x64 computer in a world that still thinks x86 is #1. Even though I've only had one or two programs ever not work on x64, x86 is still more compatible, even if it's only by a few %.

Back