Windows 10 Version 1809 Plagued by Another Data Loss Issue

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The Windows 10 October 2018 Update appears to have another data-related anomaly: a number of posters on r/Windows10 are saying the built-in archiver is broken, in that it no longer prompts the user when conflicts arise (e.g., a file already exists in the destination). Some say the archiver will overwrite files silently, while others are reporting pre-existing files will be skipped with no notification.

All three reports suggest that some zip-related behavior is broken in the operating system. The users did not reveal if they used the built-in zip functionality or a third-party application; it seems likely that the bug affects only Windows 10's built-in zip functionality and not third-party programs such as Bandizip, WinRar, or 7-Zip. Comments confirm the assumption: the issue affects only the built-in Zip functionality of Windows 10 version 1809 and not that of third-party application.

2. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

3. trparky

trparky Gawd

And a six pack.

4. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

Well, the Windows 10 version of Microsoft's zip functionality hasn't been working well in any case. I've had occasions where I unzip a file to a folder, and it prompts me to overwrite a bunch of files where the answer doesn't seem to matter in the resulting files or the time it takes to process the files. It's like it is unzipping the same files multiple times. I've gotten out of the habit of using it these days because it doesn't work very well.

5. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

Who the heck uses the built-in archiver anyway? 7zip is 10 x superior and completely free. Still bad on MS rushing out more buggy code, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

viscountalpha, wyqtor, scojer and 8 others like this.
  6. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Since my Win98 days, it's been all WinRAR for me since I switched to it from PKzip. It's always one of the first pieces of software I install after a fresh OS installation.

wyqtor, Gweenz, Flatline and 7 others like this.
  7. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

glad i'm still on 1709 seems 1803 and 1809 are still in beta.

DrezKill and JStamsek like this.
  8. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Sure glad someone stole my laptop and electronics, I don't have to worry about Win10 problems! But then again, I disable updates.
    Vista32 on 1GB FTW! *slow painful happy cry......

9. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

ftfy

Armenius and DrezKill like this.
  10. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

Almost makes a fella think there is a sabatour in their midst

Exercate likes this.
  11. johnnycanadian

johnnycanadian n00b

I never thought I'd be one of these people but the forced updates, (seemingly) Random restarts and overall poor quality of code (never mind the UI/UX issues and the constant pushing of dogs#!t like Cortana and <shudder> Edge has given me a weekend project: migrate the applications that require Windows 10 (and that aren't stable on WINE) to a three-year-old Lenovo Y50-70 laptop (15.6 / 860m / 16GB / 1050TB SSD/ 4k Screen) and wipe the Big Dog (1950x / 128GB RAM / 1080ti / 3x Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 / 2x WD 6TB 3.5" drive RAID 1) all in a rather lovely Cooler Master HAF case in an effort to move it to either LinuxMint 19 or Ubuntu 18.04 BB. My one concern is that ASUS PCE-AC88 WiFi adapter but I think I've found a usable workaround in either distro.

Benefits? Most of the dev tools I require were native in Linux prior to a Windows release (if at all) and it's fast. Damn fast. It's nowhere near perfect: there are UX issues throughout either distro (Cinnamon or GNOME) but it's stable and allows me to upgrade at my own pace. And when I need to run FileMaker (don't ask: it's for simple building of cross-platform & web-based front ends) I'll either fire up a VM on the Linux Box or if I'm offsite then I have it on the Lenovo.

Admittedly I'm a very casual gamer so this switch doesn't hurt me in a noticeable fashion, but I'm very much looking forward of jumping off of the Windows 10 constant cycle of the updater effectively yelling "Hold my beer; I've got this!" and then eating it's balls in a spectacular fashion.

Shadowed likes this.
  12. ep0x73

ep0x73 2[H]4U

Installed on one machine a few weeks ago, does not seem to have any issues yet.
    Oddly by two other 10 machines that update has not shown up so I guess it was pulled, right?
    To be safe I put in that 30 day grace period/ no updates until MS gets their shit straight

13. trparky

trparky Gawd

I've never used it (Windows ZIP support) since it's God awful slow when compared to that of say... WinZIP, PowerArchiver, WinRAR, or the free 7ZIP. I've timed decompressing a ZIP file with Windows' built in handler and it always takes three times as long to decompress a ZIP file when compared to that of the other programs I mentioned earlier.

14. likeman

likeman Gawd

I won't see this update for another 6 at least (win10 Pro none targeted branch + additional 100 days on feature upgrades + 15 days on normal updates)

If your running Windows 10 home your on the public test release branch (well pro is as well if you don't set it to the above)

Only just getting offered 1803 on my systems now

15. Caeden

Caeden n00b

Oh man... this makes sooo much sense now!
    I have been doing lots of large file transfers at work, which sometimes fail for various reasons (I mean... there is a reason we are moving stuff off this server). But typically when transfers failed I could just transfer again, and tell it to skip when it started repeating work. But this last week, I was noticing that I never got the prompt, it would either crash again, or complete without prompt.

Well... Back to robocopy on this project for me.

16. tordogs

tordogs Limp Gawd

Guess MS has pulled the update again. Laptop has never taken build 1809 and Media Creation Tool, Upgrade Assistant still telling me I have the latest Windows version on the laptop (1803).

17. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

Wow!

18. trparky

trparky Gawd

If that's the case then they have only themselves to blame. I have a feeling that heads are going roll over this shit happening which as bad as this might sound, for us end users I can't help but to think that that is a good thing to be happening.

The floor is falling out from under the Windows 10 team, people are going to get fired over this. I can't say that I sympathize with them, they brought this shit upon themselves. They fired the QA team, they only have themselves to blame.

Microsoft's stock may even take a hit which is really all that the people on top care about. If you hit them in the pocket book, they will sit up and take notice.

ManofGod, DrezKill and jlbenedict like this.
  19. trparky

trparky Gawd

Maybe even that Nadella guy will get fired for no confidence by the shareholders. Yeah... one can only hope.

Armenius likes this.
  20. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

lol this would never get that high up. Someone else will be the fall guy for this.

21. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

How the fuck do you screw up zip handling in 2018.?!

Armenius likes this.
  22. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

PKzip, that takes me back. After that I used winzip and winrar till maybe 8 years ago and then it was winrar or 7zip.

Armenius, DrezKill, Exercate and 2 others like this.
  23. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

jesus. is this really an issue or three people that dont know whats going on?!

edit: im on insider 18262 and just tried this;
    extracted files to new folder with WinRAR
    opened archive with windows
    extract all to the same folder
    prompts to overwrite, copy etc.

works fine for me.

24. cdr_74_premium

nothing-to-see-here.jpg

25. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

give me fucking break. its THREE people that dont even say what if any zip software they were using.

Laowai and ManofGod like this.
  26. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

How many more crisis moments is it going to take for Nadella to drop the fucking hammer and make the head of the windows division overhaul the entire QA and update strategy. Though it does seem like Nadella has already long moved past Windows as the future of the company and is far more invested in cloud and BigData.

Carelessness is creating this situation with Windows 10 becoming a running joke and everyone loses - customers, MS, there are no winners.

Hopefully some good actually comes out of all of this, as I do want to see this product get better.

GoldenTiger, trparky and Meeho like this.
  27. Exercate

Exercate Limp Gawd

Wonder what's going on in Redmond? Maybe an ex-programmer from there can get a job as a weather forecaster - where it doesn't matter if you get things wrong.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  28. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Travolta and bobdabilder like this.
  29. bobdabilder

bobdabilder Limp Gawd

Microsoft rocks!!!!

Jim Kim likes this.
  30. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

AFAICT, the bug isn't that it's overwriting the files, it's that it's neither prompting you nor overwriting the files.

So for example, zip up readme.txt.
    Edit readme.txt by adding a period to the end of it.
    unzip the zip file you created.
    Open readme.txt and you'll find that it's still the edited file, not hte original file.

It's a bug, but not the one they describe

Note: I'm not an insider, so it's possible that it has a different bug, but given that it's not prompting me, I'm guessing it's a bug that already existed and you're not losing data, but you're also not restoring data you might want restored.

If not for this article, I never would have noticed this, because I use 7zip, which prompts you.

31. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

32. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

Just tried it and at least for me, I received a prompt as usual. Definitely worth testing out though, just in case.

33. johnnycanadian

johnnycanadian n00b

What, you're still sticking with a 500TB drive? :)

Whups, yes, of course I meant 1050GB or 1TB.

34. Motley

Motley 2[H]4U

Microsoft got rid of of their highly talented Windows 10 devs, and replaced them with lower paying recent college grads and Indians.

The Youtuber Banacules explained that he was a MS dev for 15 years, got laid off 2 years ago. Said that Microshit was laying of great workers.

Sulphademus and Meeho like this.
  35. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

are builds 1800+ forced updates? like if your pc crashes, or you manually reboot, will it install automatically?

I've disabled all of windows update in fear of shit like this.

the only thing i update manually is virus definitions

36. cdr_74_premium

It's par for the course as of lately.

Shit happens. People report. The usual suspects come to dismiss it as "irrelevant", user error, so on.

Until Microsoft acknowledges it. Then it's just "not that bad".

It's a fun show, I must say. I am out for now, but carry on, it is really lovely to watch.

Ranulfo and Meeho like this.
  37. nilepez

I know people that work at or have worked at MS that were are Indian. None were let go and no they're not low wage workers (unless 7 figure homes are the homes of low wage employees). Besides, people have been bitching about MS patching for decades.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    ManofGod and heatlesssun like this.
  38. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

As a Windows user from the beginning and one that's always followed Windows news, there are certainly some revisionism going on here. NEVER in the history of Windows was it perceived in tech circles as a solid, high quality, secure OS. Not ever. So let's get over that nonsense. Some versions were better perceived in tech circles, Windows 3.x, 95, XP SP 2 and Windows 7. But solid, high quality and secure, nope.

39. nilepez

As one who spent a lot of time in college from Win 3-Win 9x, that mirrors what my professors said as well. Most iddn't hate Windows but none thought it was a great OS. But the OS today is infinitely better than it was then.

ManofGod and heatlesssun like this.
  40. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

Attack that straw man with a vengance, sir!