Windows 10 Upgrade Nags Become More Aggressive

Wuh? Have you looked at MS income reports? Their net income in 1999 was 7.8 Billion. FY 15 (ending last june) was a bad year and they still eclipsed 1999 with 12.2 Billion and FY 1999 was MS's best year in the 90s.

Are those numbers adjusted for inflation? Going up 50% in 16 years isn't exactly spectacular.

More bullshit. Did you see the all apps button? If you left personal bias and hate for the OS out then may be you would have see that. So you hate tiles? Is that it? There is more in the start menu than any other previous start menu. If you actually took the time to explore through it may be you would notice. This comes from a guy who hated windows 8, 10 is probably the best windows I have tried. Just because you don't like a modern design doesn't mean it sucks. Most people that I have seen use windows 10 love it more than 7 and 8. 7 was best when it was released and windows 10 is more modern and speedy.

My Nephew, who I thought was forever lost to Apple's OS X tried Windows 10 for 10 minutes on a classmates computer and now he wants to install it on his Mac. I've since installed it, and aside from the flat UI and some inconsistencies with Settings/Control Panel, it's not that different from 7 in day to day use. And for all the complaints about the apps, their mail client is pretty good.

I must admit that I do still use gadgets from 7, but that's mostly because I've got a handful to monitor hardware and networking and a weather gadget (Pro Weather) that came out almost 10 years ago and is still better everything else I've tried.

My reason is simple: Windows 10 has not yet proven itself, and I am not willing to let an unproven OS overtake a working OS (Win 7 in my case) because, as we all know, reinstalling OS because of an F-Up is a royal PITA, especially if you are restoring an OS that you have used for a while.

I always image my old build before upgrading. That way it's easy to go back. That said, I don't think anyone has to upgrade right now. I did it, because I was on a new build. I went to 8 earlier this year, because I wanted the Netflix app (and over all the GUI didn't bug me, but I open apps by typing the app name, so the start screen didn't bug me 99% of the time)

Point me to where I said it "must be stored on OneDrive". I'll wait. Meantime, defaults matter. By default, people are using a Microsoft account because MS has intentionally made the local account option hard to find during setup. And by default when you enable BitLocker, the key is stored on OneDrive.

I can't say why (and I'm not going to reinstall 10 to find out), but when I went built this machine out (7 without patches -> 10) I didn't have to create a Microsoft account. The MS account was suggested, but it was an extra step that I didn't feel like doing.

I'm not sure why my experience was different.

If by working perfectly fine meaning unable to play games and taking 15 minutes to boot...:rolleyes: You could alleviate this a bit by disabling, a couple somethings, I forget now.

Then there's the infamous, hey Vista locked up and you had to force it off, now it's gonna take 30 minutes to boot....:mad:

oh and the SLOWWWWW network issues, shall I continue?

Maybe I was just asking too much, but once I updated to 7/8 on all the Vista machines, all those issues never occurred again.

Games were fine by SP1, IME. Boot time wasn't bad either. There were networking issues, but, as I recall, they were gone before 7 came out. I thought they were gone no later than SP1.

If you took 30 minutes to boot, you had serious issues above and beyond Vista.
Hell, I never had issues with the RTM version of Vista. But then again I only installed it on a machine that I built at the same time with an Intel QX6700 and 4GB of RAM. SP1 only made it even better. Boot time was around 80-90 seconds on a 10,000 RPM SATA2 drive (about 50 seconds on a fresh install), while XP took about 4 minutes to boot on a 7200 RPM SATA drive. It's hard to imagine sitting around waiting for a computer to boot these days when 8.1 take about 15 seconds from power-on to usable with a SSD.

Hell, I never had issues with the RTM version of Vista. But then again I only installed it on a machine that I built at the same time with an Intel QX6700 and 4GB of RAM. SP1 only made it even better. Boot time was around 80-90 seconds on a 10,000 RPM SATA2 drive (about 50 seconds on a fresh install), while XP took about 4 minutes to boot on a 7200 RPM SATA drive. It's hard to imagine sitting around waiting for a computer to boot these days when 8.1 take about 15 seconds from power-on to usable with a SSD.

Between XP, Vista, 7, 8.x, and 10, I still like Vista the most of them all. It's UI was really warm feeling and they had the best kitten pic for your account image. XP was awful, 7 feels really cold and unfriendly, 8 was okay but because heatlesssun was such a huge proponent, it kinda put me off from ever getting familiar with it since I don't wanna end up living a life like his and 10 is Google-levels of creepy that you can't completely turn off no matter what you do. Also, 8 and 10 never recaptured the warm and friendly kinda computer experience of Vista which is hard to describe, but it just FELT like the computer was happy to see me and the OS was all green and fluffy-nice. Boot time is just not that important even though people try to measure performance of the entire computer by how fast it turns on to the point that 8 and 10 now don't actually fully shut down and come up clean because of how infatuated people are with something so meaningless. Anyhow, if Linux Mint wasn't equally as warm and friendly as Vista, I'd totally use Vista even today over anything else. I'll be a sad kitty to see it lose support in 2017 finally.

Are those numbers adjusted for inflation? Going up 50% in 16 years isn't exactly spectacular.

No, but I picked the best year for the 1990s and the worst year for the 2010's and his statement was still false.
BTW, if I took numbers from FY 2014, MS would have 22.1 Billion.

RTM had issues. I don't remember them all, but one was a serious networking issue and at RTM, the drivers were horrible. Not MS's fault, but at launch, games were unplayable. I remember trying to play EQ in Vista (not exactly a demanding game) and it was horrible.

Bottom line is the main issues were solved before then end of the summer 2007 via hotfixes. However, SP1 came out almost a year after the hotfixes.

No, but I picked the best year for the 1990s and the worst year for the 2010's and his statement was still false.
BTW, if I took numbers from FY 2014, MS would have 22.1 Billion.

This thingy does inflation calculations:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

I plugged in 1999 and $7.80 because, if I math right...I think you just need to add a ton of zeros to get from seven dollars and eighty cents to like 7.8 billion. Anywho, $7.80 in 1999 is equal to $11.14 in 2015. So even taking inflation into account, you're right about Microsoft being a lot more profitable now than it was in the 90s...if you go by that inflation calculator thing-y anyhow.

Microsoft is being Sneaky but it is easy to disable the update. It is hidden as part of the optional updates list. If when you first start Windows Update, all you see is this:

Go ahead and click on "Show all available updates"

Uncheck the "Upgrade to Windows 10" box

Then select the updates you want to install

Remember YMMV HTH
If you have auto install updates, it automatically will try to install.
You have to uncheck it everytime. I don't mean just everytime you update, everytime you leave the optional update screen and return.

Every couple weeks it seems the Windows 10 upgrade is creeping a little bit closer to being automatically installed.

Because what do you call a piece of software that installs itself, automatically updates whatever it wants onto your computer without permission, and regularly logs and sends your information back to its programmer?

A virus. I have no intention of installing win10. This just solidified it.

Windows 10 is malware or MS is turning it into one. Never thought I'd say that about an entire OS and I had such high hopes for it too.

soon win 10 will be forced upon my work laptop....that is going to be a joy...

If you have auto install updates, it automatically will try to install.
You have to uncheck it everytime. I don't mean just everytime you update, everytime you leave the optional update screen and return.

That is not true anymore, they fixed that.

Between XP, Vista, 7, 8.x, and 10, I still like Vista the most of them all. It's UI was really warm feeling and they had the best kitten pic for your account image. XP was awful, 7 feels really cold and unfriendly, 8 was okay but because heatlesssun was such a huge proponent, it kinda put me off from ever getting familiar with it since I don't wanna end up living a life like his and 10 is Google-levels of creepy that you can't completely turn off no matter what you do. Also, 8 and 10 never recaptured the warm and friendly kinda computer experience of Vista which is hard to describe, but it just FELT like the computer was happy to see me and the OS was all green and fluffy-nice. Boot time is just not that important even though people try to measure performance of the entire computer by how fast it turns on to the point that 8 and 10 now don't actually fully shut down and come up clean because of how infatuated people are with something so meaningless. Anyhow, if Linux Mint wasn't equally as warm and friendly as Vista, I'd totally use Vista even today over anything else. I'll be a sad kitty to see it lose support in 2017 finally.

tlm.png

Same here, didn't have much issues even before Vista SP1 but after SP1 it worked great. Original issues were due to old crappy hardware that mfrs wanted to sell and put Vista capable and then sales people made it worse by not telling people what it means. Also driver issues were a problem at launch but so was the case with XP and other operating systems where a lot has changed. With Vista bringing mainstream 64-bit to Windows side it was no surprise that drivers were a mess. Also all the bloatware that came computer off the shelf computers was eating away at their resources even more. Most people just learned to hate Vista because of what they were told and not always from own experience.

Windows 10 is the next evolution in domestic spying and is a wet dream for intelligence agencies and corporate marketing teams. To make matters worse, Microsoft gives the average user the "illusion" you can opt out of the data mining which we know to be false. Then to top it all off, implementing telemetry for Windows 7/8. George Orwell is rolling in his grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o66FUc61MvU

I knew to be wary the moment I heard they were giving it away for free to current Windows O.S. license holders. Windows 10 is "free" because intelligence agencies and Corporations are subsidizing it for access to the data mined (educated conjecture on my part).

To make matters worse, Microsoft gives the average user the "illusion" you can opt out of the data mining which we know to be false.

We know no such thing. That's the problem here. There was one article written by Peter Bright on Ars Technica that showed some encrypted traffic being sent to Microsoft with all the privacy stuff off (off means the data isn't supposed to be collected) which Microsoft says is the basic telemetry info that's supposed to have no personal data and no personally identifying info and that's been translated by some into "Microsoft is uploading hard drives and disabling pirated software."

The thing that's most troubling about this is that most people are spouting off on this with really no facts. Anytime someone points out what the reality is here and what Microsoft's stated policies are, it ends up back to this knowing stuff that people don't.

Until there is proof of something nefarious going on here there's just not a lot of real info about this. It should be easy enough for something evil going here to be spotted. Unless there is nothing going on beyond any other services like these. In which case people are going to keep knowing things they don't.

Thans for this.
So far just removing KB3035583 has worked for me, but at this rate who knows for how long. I run W10 on my main rig, but I've got an old one that needs to stay on W7.

I think that they moved this update from the suggested update section to the critical update section.

I just had to deal with this right now.

All I did was view available updates and uncheck the optional Win10 upgrade and the recommended KB3035583 and I was good to go.

The only thing holding me back from Win10 is all the feedback I'm getting from friends that have games that are unplayable or fail to launch and they previously had Win7 or Win8.1 and now a lot of the games we play together don't work for them.

I dealt with it on a system this morning. Had to hide it again as it showed up in the critical updates list this time.

I have Media Center in most rooms in my house & can't use Windows 10.

Same here, didn't have much issues even before Vista SP1 but after SP1 it worked great. Original issues were due to old crappy hardware that mfrs wanted to sell and put Vista capable and then sales people made it worse by not telling people what it means. Also driver issues were a problem at launch but so was the case with XP and other operating systems where a lot has changed.

I have a few old dual core laptops (D830's) at the office that originally came with Vista. They where so slow, and had so many problems, we eventually downgraded them to XP to make then usable. Several years later we installed Windows 7 64bit and used them for a few more years.

I recently installed Windows 10, 64bit on one as a test, and I'd consider it more usable than it was with Windows 7. Even with the old mechanical drive, it boots up fast, and is usable. However, nobody wants to use them anymore because they are too old/heavy/clunky looking, so I might just have to find them new homes with someone who would appreciate a basic laptop :)

We know no such thing. That's the problem here. There was one article written by Peter Bright on Ars Technica that showed some encrypted traffic being sent to Microsoft with all the privacy stuff off (off means the data isn't supposed to be collected) which Microsoft says is the basic telemetry info that's supposed to have no personal data and no personally identifying info and that's been translated by some into "Microsoft is uploading hard drives and disabling pirated software."

That's just the NSA feed, nothing to worry about :)

This thingy does inflation calculations:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

I plugged in 1999 and $7.80 because, if I math right...I think you just need to add a ton of zeros to get from seven dollars and eighty cents to like 7.8 billion. Anywho, $7.80 in 1999 is equal to $11.14 in 2015. So even taking inflation into account, you're right about Microsoft being a lot more profitable now than it was in the 90s...if you go by that inflation calculator thing-y anyhow.

I use http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

All I know is that not only do i get trageted ads for my hobbies(which is a few years i am used too), the odd thing is this story I have-The targeted ads also have the hobbies of my family members so somehow they know who i am related to.

Is it me or is Microsft becoming more annoying than the fake Salvation Army bell ringers outside every supermarket?

Probably running Vista Basic on a laptop with a 5400rpm hard drive and 512MB of ram. :D

Vista Ultimate (non sp1 first thing that went in after install), i7-920, 12GB RAM, 7200rpm 1tb seagate drive. Had an identical machine with a 150GB raptor that ran a little better. Supported it on other configs, but that was my personal machines.

Last Vista Machine I supported was about 6 months ago, whenever GTA V came out, but it was for a kid that didn't have the funds to buy a legit windows at the time, so I gave him an old Vista key. 2500k, 8GB, 6970, 5400rpm (since that's the joke here). It got the job done until he got GTA V. The machine had all the typical Vista problems ;) GTA V though ran TERRIBLE, then it would crash randomly. Turns out AMD doesn't support Vista any more with latest driver updates. I said F it and bought him a copy of 8.1. Was just sick of it. That machine probably runs as good as mine does now. Fixed every single problem. GTA V was a nice smooth 30-40fps, boot times went from several minutes to less than one. It's slowed down a little since then, but I doubt it's more than a minute to boot still.

OK, last post I'm gonna get off track in a win10 thread. Sorry I mentioned Vista, I didn't expect to get Vista white knight(s) on me. If it does what you need it to, great. Other wise Vista is shit... :p

Back to bitchin about windows 10....

Microsoft should really respect user's decisions not to upgrade to their latest product. Just because it's free doesn't mean everybody wants it. Don't know how many times I've uninstalled the notification updates and hid it and Microsoft continues to release a new "security update" to nag me to upgrade to Windows 10.

I turned on the one netbook I have with Windows 7 still installed on it yesterday to get some files and stuff off it. Like a few weeks ago, I'd deleted the bittorrent folder thing with a multi-GB install of 10 and declined the install through the nagware icon in the corner per MS' directions and then hid the Win10 update from the update program. So yesterday, after like two hours of being turned on...that stupid bittorrent folder was back and had about 300MB of the installer files for 10 downloaded again! OMFG Microsoft! I shouldn't have to regedit and jump through a bunch of hoops to have my computer not download your latest heatlesssun-obsession-OS with free spyware! This computer has to have Win7 Pro on it for workies VPN so like once a year I can sign up for medical benefits and stuff or do some mandatory company training thing. If it weren't for that, I would have totally Linux'ed it. I might still go back and reload it with Vista just because MS doesn't support an upgrade for it since Vista, I think, will work with my company stuff and I like it better anyhow. But seriously, WTF is wrong with these people and their shoveling off that awful, broken, spyware operating system? Do they think we're all mindless zombies that preorder the Surface Book on day one like that one guy on here claims to do? Sorry, some of us actually bother to use our brains....ugh, I don't wanna waste time installing an operating system again...what a huge pain, but I think Imma Vista that netbook and be done with it. It's just stupid that I have to downgrade to an OS from 2007 just to get away from an OS from 2015 that I don't wanna install.

Microsoft should really respect user's decisions not to upgrade to their latest product. Just because it's free doesn't mean everybody wants it. Don't know how many times I've uninstalled the notification updates and hid it and Microsoft continues to release a new "security update" to nag me to upgrade to Windows 10.

Not moving OS is like not changing toothbrush heads. The old one might still have bristles but that doesn't mean they should go anywhere near your mouth.

In order,

What crappy work VPN implementation prevents you moving OS?

Evidence?

Ironic lol

I guess I should have remembered to get very specific for the nitpicky people in the universe. The VPN software runs just fine on 10. The company's awful websites littered with training programs that have never been updated once they're created and elements of the sites themselves are very picky about the underlying computing platform. Win7 Pro seems to have the right combination of whatever-the-crap the company's junkware needs to run. Though the IT people in the company were endlessly surprised by it, I used to use a laptop with Vista and had like no problems at all with it, but they insisted that it was an unsupported configuration.

At some point the company is gonna do like a virtualized thing where remote workers just connect to a virtual desktop that's fully company compliant and that'll apparently solve the problem....which is dumb, I think because they really should be fixing all their out-of-date, quirky junk so it's platform agnostic, but whatever, I'm not in charge of that effort. Either way, the problem will supposedly go away by the end of next year before Vista is no longer supported by MS.

So anyhow, take your irony and chew on that for a little bit. When you're done, try to be a little less nerd-picky about how things are worded. I won't hold it against you though, I know lots of people who get intentionally hung up on specific phrasing so they can try to make a point. :D

Long list of complaints about works crappy internal IT, blames Microsoft for nagging. Irony still very much at play.

Don't get me wrong, a great deal of corporate IT is shockingly incompetent and its probably not your fault, it's your shitty managers. So what are you doing to apply the pressure and hold them accountable by moaning at Microsoft?

Don't get me wrong, a great deal of corporate IT is shockingly incompetent and its probably not your fault, it's your shitty managers. So what are you doing to apply the pressure and hold them accountable by moaning at Microsoft?

I pointed out that I declined to install the new OS and it's still being aggressively pushed onto me by Microsoft through a variety of naggy/annoying methods and instead of admitting that it's indeed aggressive, you wanna try to deflect this into a discussion about some individual company's IT department or (as in your earlier post) point out the end user is somehow wrong? Uh huh...I suppose the next thing you're gonna try to do is make a personal attack to discredit the sender of the message through insults. Oh wait, you already tried that in your other post. :D Well, keep going. I'll check in later to see how you made out with that.

Hi All
It would seem to me if you opt out of the upgrade that should be the end of it. Microsoft shouldn't keep nagging the user to upgrade. All that's going to accomplish is the user becoming annoyed. Respect the users decision not to upgrade. Period.

Not moving OS is like not changing toothbrush heads. The old one might still have bristles but that doesn't mean they should go anywhere near your mouth.

I like 10, but 7 and 8 are supported, so it's not the same as an old toothbrush. For those that use Mediacenter, they have a good reason not to upgrade. I'm less moved by the paranoia about a few data packets, but we'll see how it plays out. Maybe it's a bigger issue than I think.

Back