Windows 10 Upgrade Nags Become More Aggressive

Disable Windows Update and risk possible malware infection, or enable Windows Update and get Microsoft's malware on your system for certain?

Every time I go back in there Windows 10 is magically checked again.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

I know but at least you can disable the damn thing until you are actually ready to upgrade (if you're ever ready). I will wait until after the lawsuit sometime soon after a major Windows 10 Update bricks a few hundred thousand or a few million machines that does away with the mandatory updates. I don't think it is a matter of if but just a matter of "when" it happens.

And people wonder why I don't like Microsoft very much. :rolleyes:

Not at all. Here's the thing. Every piece of technology has it's problems. Windows' problems are well document through the years. Malware, instability, etc. and most new versions of Windows incorporates something new and different generally that gets criticized because it's not like it used to be. And as much as I'm called a Microsoft apologist I often point out issues with Microsoft products. Is Microsoft being to aggressive with the Windows 10 update? From what I've read sure. But then there's people complaining that want the update and haven't received it.

How much do you want to bet that as aggressive as Microsoft is being with the Windows 10 update that there's tons of people that still don't have a clue and assuming that the free update is over on July 29, 2016 will wonder why they never knew it was an option?

People in this forum tend to be dismissive in the abilities of others particularly on the subject of computers. How many times have I heard that if it's not right in front of a user they'll never see it? Again, sure Microsoft is being aggressive with this update. Sure there are people that are getting "suckered" into. And just as sure there are people that are completely clueless that it's there and will never see it.

+1

Microsoft removing functionality is a real problem, and is why my media center PC will never be upgraded to anything past Windows 7. I not only have a 4 channel cable card tuner, but an Xbox 360 connected to it as an extender so I can watch live TV, recorded shows and movies on a 2nd TV.

AFAICT, you can still use your old 7 license even if you do the upgrade. I've neer used Media Center, but if I did, I'd certainly run 7 or 8 (if I had a license for Media center on it).

Microsoft are now claiming it was a mistake that the Win10 download was auto-selected and have corrected it. That is good but I really doubt it was a mistake at all.

Every time I go back in there Windows 10 is magically checked again.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

OK, that's not new. I had that happen a month or to ago. Of course it's possible that you didn't have the update installed that does made the change, but that's exactly what I saw and it did cause me to accidentally start the installation process...which was a PITA to stop.

What crap ? I don't remember having to do anything with Vista post SP1 to get it working perfectly fine.

If by working perfectly fine meaning unable to play games and taking 15 minutes to boot...:rolleyes: You could alleviate this a bit by disabling, a couple somethings, I forget now.

Then there's the infamous, hey Vista locked up and you had to force it off, now it's gonna take 30 minutes to boot....:mad:

oh and the SLOWWWWW network issues, shall I continue?

Maybe I was just asking too much, but once I updated to 7/8 on all the Vista machines, all those issues never occurred again.

How much do you want to bet that as aggressive as Microsoft is being with the Windows 10 update that there's tons of people that still don't have a clue and assuming that the free update is over on July 29, 2016 will wonder why they never knew it was an option?

Soaring new heights in astroturfing, ladies and gentlemen. That might be a meaningful argument if there was actually anything worthwhile in 10 that unaware people were missing out on. DX12 for games that don't exist yet? Consumer-hostile default privacy settings, bandwidth-hostile default torrent setting? Those unaware people don't have a snowball's chance in being able to find where to turn off that crap. Ugly tiles on the start menu that launch functionally crippled phone apps? What exactly are they missing out on?

And the "free upgrade" offer sure as hell won't end on July 16. In June they'll make a grand PR announcement "Extended by popular demand!" Or do you think that MS will suddenly decide on July 16 "You know what, let's totally stop our ransomware level of tactics trying to corral everyone into 10. Let's just go back to making it a paid upgrade just like old times - that'll really accelerate adoption!" Yarite.

Ugly tiles on the start menu that launch functionally crippled phone apps?

Or Visual Studio 2015 with jump lists on the tiles that's in the latest build. In any case it's pretty obvious you don't use 10. That's fine, but you're trying to make too fine a judgement on something you're not experienced with enough to make such fine judgments. Like the whole BitLocker key must be stored one OneDrive thing you went on and on about that simply isn't true.

I'm Using a 120Gb ssd for windows 7 pro,which has the features I like and use. W10 does not have them. MS has been unable to put w10 on my ssd because it's too full. Part of it is the swap for 32Gb ram.Yes, I get the "ran out of memory" when I shut down.Until they start invading the 1 Tb data drive I'm safe.

Windows 10 is the biggest beta OS Microsoft ever released. They want everone to use a beta for testing purposes. Tell me one OS ever released by MS with a feedback built in. Not one thank you, only ones released with feedback were betas or public betas. So far I have seen Windows 10 on about half the machines I fix and so far some people like it but most people hate it. The start menu is not really back period all they took was the start screen from windows 8.1 and put it in a menu. Still no all programs at all. Pin to start does not goto menu but the big blocky tablet menu. I saw one computer in that over 100 programs installed it was a total nightmare trying to organize things.

This path MS is going down is going to hurt there bottom line even more. Businesses are not happy about windows 10 at all for security reasons. It's funny MS made more money when they trusted users back in the 90's when you bought the software put in the key and there was no activation.

Why more poeple switch to other platforms beause MS has lost the trust users had. Other platforms seem to listen to users because there the bosses of there computer.

Or Visual Studio 2015 with jump lists on the tiles that's in the latest build.

I'm sure this has something to do with something.

In any case it's pretty obvious you don't use 10. That's fine, but you're trying to make too fine a judgement on something you're not experienced with enough to make such fine judgments.

In other words, you've got nothing.

Like the whole BitLocker key must be stored one OneDrive thing you went on and on about that simply isn't true.

Point me to where I said it "must be stored on OneDrive". I'll wait. Meantime, defaults matter. By default, people are using a Microsoft account because MS has intentionally made the local account option hard to find during setup. And by default when you enable BitLocker, the key is stored on OneDrive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/bitlocker-recovery-keys-faq
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8546524
https://www.reddit.com/r/crypto/comments/3f0j44/windows_10_backs_up_your_bitlocker_recovery_key/

OneDrive is onboarded to PRISM
http://cryptome.org/2014/11/ms-onedrive-nsa-prism.htm

I just had to deal with this right now.

All I did was view available updates and uncheck the optional Win10 upgrade and the recommended KB3035583 and I was good to go.

The only thing holding me back from Win10 is all the feedback I'm getting from friends that have games that are unplayable or fail to launch and they previously had Win7 or Win8.1 and now a lot of the games we play together don't work for them.

I swear, the only thing holding me back from Linux is I'm a gamer (Battlefield 4, Path of Exile, Starcraft 2, etc). How is gaming in Linux these days?

Not good but after hearing about the Windows 10 Spyware edition, I run Mint for desktop use and just use windows when I want to game.

Man I don't understand the hate for windows 10. People just find a way to hate no matter what. I hated and hated windows 8 because it deserved it, but windows 10 hands down is the best windows to date I have used. There is absolutely no issues I have and it runs fast and fluid and everything works. If there is something specific that you need and it does not function with windows 10 I understand. But you don't wanna upgrade just because bad taste windows 8 left in your mouth, you could not be more wrong. Windows 10 is more than dx12 games, that is the least of any reasons to upgrade.

Windows 10 is the biggest beta OS Microsoft ever released. They want everone to use a beta for testing purposes. Tell me one OS ever released by MS with a feedback built in. Not one thank you, only ones released with feedback were betas or public betas. So far I have seen Windows 10 on about half the machines I fix and so far some people like it but most people hate it. The start menu is not really back period all they took was the start screen from windows 8.1 and put it in a menu. Still no all programs at all. Pin to start does not goto menu but the big blocky tablet menu. I saw one computer in that over 100 programs installed it was a total nightmare trying to organize things.

This path MS is going down is going to hurt there bottom line even more. Businesses are not happy about windows 10 at all for security reasons. It's funny MS made more money when they trusted users back in the 90's when you bought the software put in the key and there was no activation.

Why more poeple switch to other platforms beause MS has lost the trust users had. Other platforms seem to listen to users because there the bosses of there computer.

More bullshit. Did you see the all apps button? If you left personal bias and hate for the OS out then may be you would have see that. So you hate tiles? Is that it? There is more in the start menu than any other previous start menu. If you actually took the time to explore through it may be you would notice. This comes from a guy who hated windows 8, 10 is probably the best windows I have tried. Just because you don't like a modern design doesn't mean it sucks. Most people that I have seen use windows 10 love it more than 7 and 8. 7 was best when it was released and windows 10 is more modern and speedy.

Man I don't understand the hate for windows 10. People just find a way to hate no matter what. I hated and hated windows 8 because it deserved it, but windows 10 hands down is the best windows to date I have used. There is absolutely no issues I have and it runs fast and fluid and everything works. If there is something specific that you need and it does not function with windows 10 I understand. But you don't wanna upgrade just because bad taste windows 8 left in your mouth, you could not be more wrong. Windows 10 is more than dx12 games, that is the least of any reasons to upgrade.

I liked Windows 10 but once I use four monitors total and when I turn any off to increase my focus I can no longer enable it from windows... I have to go into nvidia control panel. Not sure why it does that.

Windows 8 doesn't have that issue for me.

My reason is simple: Windows 10 has not yet proven itself, and I am not willing to let an unproven OS overtake a working OS (Win 7 in my case) because, as we all know, reinstalling OS because of an F-Up is a royal PITA, especially if you are restoring an OS that you have used for a while.

I tried to use windows 8.1 with classic shell when I built my new rig (which was my chance to give 8.1 a try, as Classic Shell removed the only obstacle I had), but unfortunately some of my games (2014 recent) steadfastly refused to run on Win 8.1, so I reformatted the drive and installed Win 7 instead.

I currently do not have a spare SSD I can try Win 10 with, so until I get that, I have no desire to potentially ruin a perfectly working system. Especially since my Win 7 and Win 10 run on completely separate licenses, and I have not received any obligation from MS to upgrade. In fact, when Win 10 was released, my version was THE only version that didn't avail of the free upgrade (and still don't, I have to get a separate license for Win 10).

So I am in zero rush to upgrade my OS. I have read less good things about Win 10 than bad things, so I will take this slow.

I liked Windows 10 but once I use four monitors total and when I turn any off to increase my focus I can no longer enable it from windows... I have to go into nvidia control panel. Not sure why it does that.

Windows 8 doesn't have that issue for me.

Holy shit that barely made any sense...

I noticed the update thing also but if you select show availible updates then ok it will install them.
Does anyone know if the Cisco VPN issue has been resolved? Does windows 10 work well with nvsurround with proper task bar placement?

Is anyconnect broke under 10 ?

I'm sure this has something to do with something.

In other words, you've got nothing.

Point me to where I said it "must be stored on OneDrive". I'll wait. Meantime, defaults matter. By default, people are using a Microsoft account because MS has intentionally made the local account option hard to find during setup. And by default when you enable BitLocker, the key is stored on OneDrive.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/bitlocker-recovery-keys-faq
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8546524
https://www.reddit.com/r/crypto/comments/3f0j44/windows_10_backs_up_your_bitlocker_recovery_key/

OneDrive is onboarded to PRISM
http://cryptome.org/2014/11/ms-onedrive-nsa-prism.htm

That was one of the most awesome heatlesssun-stomps I've read! He hasn't even posted since then (which I'm sure he'll do now that someone's mentioned it, but not in response to your post -- unless my mentioning it is enough to squeeze him into replying...that'd be funny and all puppet-master-y of me). Anyhow, more of this stuff!

I too have seen the aggressive update behavior. I plan to update that PC in December but the nagging is annoying.

This caught me last weekend. I was so ticked off at MS that I seriously looked into seeing what it would take to convert my PC to a Hackintosh... The fundamental issue I keep running into is that I use CAD all the time and the two CAD packages are SolidWorks or Inventor... neither of which run outside of windows...

I have no desire to hand the entirety of my identity to another third party on a whim... I am already owned by google via gmail and to a large extent by E-Bay via PayPal... At least google is slightly less evil (apparently)... and I am not necessarily connected to them from the moment I power on my machine.

I want nothing to do with Windows 10, I dont want MS to know what I have on my machine or what programs I run...

I finally removed the KB for the updater and completely disabled windows update, its now gone way past useful to brutally annoying!

Microsoft is STILL not listening to customers well ever since they did away with Win 8 Start button.

Way to go, Microsoft.

I'm staying on Win 7 'til it dies.

I seem to recall Microsoft apologists saying this would never happen and we we're a bunch of conspiracy theorists. :rolleyes:

You are and it is not, try again. Perhaps reading the article, which is click bait by the way, and see what is actually being shown?

Ever since I heard they were pushing the spy stuff into win7 I just disabled windows update. Not like my machine is internet facing anyway. I strictly use it for gaming so it does not really go online much.

Ever since I heard they were pushing the spy stuff into win7 I just disabled windows update. Not like my machine is internet facing anyway. I strictly use it for gaming so it does not really go online much.

If you are not on the internet, then how could it possibly spy on you?

A little googling, and that stuff can be disabled. The downside is it disables Cortana too, which I wanted to try...

If you are not on the internet, then how could it possibly spy on you?

A little googling, and that stuff can be disabled. The downside is it disables Cortana too, which I wanted to try...

That Cortana thing is so weird. It feels like, I dunno, all kinds of strange to try to talk to your computer. Also, it's a gimmicky lameness thing that loses it's novelty in like the few moments it takes to figure out that it's faster to access stuff with a keyboard, touchpad, or mousey-squeak. I guess if you're on one of those junky Surface things that don't have interface devices, you'd be quicker by talking, but they were all pretty lame compared to an iPad which does the tablet thing a lot better than Microsoft has managed to do.

The upgrade to Win 10 nags have even started showing up on our domain-connected PCs at work. Ha, one guy even went through with the upgrade. Good times. Now IT gets to roll his PC back to his 7 install.

Remember when a subscription based Windows 10 was the biggest lurking concern about the "gotcha" we'd be looking down the barrel of in exchange for the upgrade being "free".. And MS comes up with this.

Learned today that if you enable Bitlocker encryption on your drive, the key is nabbed by OneDrive. The hits just keep coming.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041881190&postcount=35

Nope. Even when using a Microsoft Account you still have three options, there is no default, you have to pick one: http://i.imgur.com/GKZUhmW.png. This is the Microsoft FAQ you linked.

Too early for Windows 10 to be used as one of my main OSes. I got it running on a laptop I use for testing OSes, and I fuck around with it there. I always wait at least one year before I even consider moving to a new Windows OS. There's no reason to use Win10 now aside from messing around with it and learning about it. I had already removed all the tiles from the Start Menu a while back, so we'll see if the ads start showing up on it. As for my system running Win7, I always manually check through each individual update and allow only the ones I approve of to be downloaded and installed, so this wouldn't have gotten me anyways. But yeah, I've already had to uncheck and hide the Win10 Upgrade update and the telemetry/spying bulllshit ones a few times. None of them have ever once gotten on my Win7 machine though. Gotta be vigilant about dat shiznit. We'll see if Microsoft can ever convince me to move to Win10 at all. DX12 is less of a dangling carrot with Vulkan on the way. And for primary PC use, Linux all the way. Arch Linux is my drug of choice. Not saying Win10 doesn't have some nice additions to it, but so far the list of things that pisses me off is longer than the list of things I like about it. We'll see how shit is going down towards the end of next summer.

Microsoft is being Sneaky but it is easy to disable the update. It is hidden as part of the optional updates list. If when you first start Windows Update, all you see is this:

Go ahead and click on "Show all available updates"

Uncheck the "Upgrade to Windows 10" box

Then select the updates you want to install

Remember YMMV HTH

Thanks for that I will give it a try. Honestly I didn't care enough to try any of this but now it seems like my updates are failing to install to get me to upgrade to Windows 10. Love how I get a timer to either confirm the upgrade or reschedule before it automatically starts the install.

Thanks for that I will give it a try. Honestly I didn't care enough to try any of this but now it seems like my updates are failing to install to get me to upgrade to Windows 10. Love how I get a timer to either confirm the upgrade or reschedule before it automatically starts the install.

Stop the Windows updates and Background Intelligent transfer service. Delete everything from the C:\windows\software distribution folder and the hidden BT folder on the root of the C: drive. Re enable the services and check for updates, everything will work. They fixed the problem as I have verified it with a computer that I was working on this morning.

If by working perfectly fine meaning unable to play games and taking 15 minutes to boot...:rolleyes: You could alleviate this a bit by disabling, a couple somethings, I forget now.

Then there's the infamous, hey Vista locked up and you had to force it off, now it's gonna take 30 minutes to boot....:mad:

oh and the SLOWWWWW network issues, shall I continue?

Maybe I was just asking too much, but once I updated to 7/8 on all the Vista machines, all those issues never occurred again.

Games were fine by SP1, IME. Boot time wasn't bad either. There were networking issues, but, as I recall, they were gone before 7 came out. I thought they were gone no later than SP1.

If you took 30 minutes to boot, you had serious issues above and beyond Vista.

Games were fine by SP1, IME. Boot time wasn't bad either. There were networking issues, but, as I recall, they were gone before 7 came out. I thought they were gone no later than SP1.

If you took 30 minutes to boot, you had serious issues above and beyond Vista.

Probably running Vista Basic on a laptop with a 5400rpm hard drive and 512MB of ram. :D

Wuh? Have you looked at MS income reports? Their net income in 1999 was 7.8 Billion. FY 15 (ending last june) was a bad year and they still eclipsed 1999 with 12.2 Billion and FY 1999 was MS's best year in the 90s.

Back