Windows 10 TP Build 9926 Released!

Does it cease to work if you put your task bar on the left side of the screen?

I need to manually click its button or the hot key to bring it up. Typing in the start menu does absolutely nothing.

Does it cease to work if you put your task bar on the left side of the screen?

I need to manually click its button or the hot key to bring it up. Typing in the start menu does absolutely nothing.

Yup. Looks like it stops working when it's not on the bottom.

This build breaks support for Creative X-Fi cards.. Will eagerly wait for Creative to release a beta driver 6 months after Windows 10 is released

Avast free is also now incompatible and will be removed and not able to be installed..

I got the Creative driver from Windows update but had no sound through the speakers. Finally determined there was sound through the headphone jack. Went back to Device Manager, did the "update this driver" thing for the Creative card and chose to use files on the computer. It did some updating and reconfiguring then the speakers began to work. Read on one of the tech preview forums that Update might install the drivers wrong or in the wrong place so try and get them to update again. The files are somewhere in the computer but just didn't install properly the first time. Haven't bothered to try the ton of other Creative software but glad to get sound working through speakers.

Everything seems to be working as advertised now. Creative drivers are always beastly and was expecting the worst but guess MS was smart enough to figure a way to get them to work. Now waiting on a graphics driver for the new build of 10.

Not installing a lot of stuff on the preview and almost nobody has drivers for it. They mostly have to be pushed out by MS through updates for the time being. Tried Nvidia 8.1 graphics drivers and they were much worse than the ones offered through Update.

I got the Creative driver from Windows update but had no sound through the speakers. Finally determined there was sound through the headphone jack. Went back to Device Manager, did the "update this driver" thing for the Creative card and chose to use files on the computer. It did some updating and reconfiguring then the speakers began to work. Read on one of the tech preview forums that Update might install the drivers wrong or in the wrong place so try and get them to update again. The files are somewhere in the computer but just didn't install properly the first time. Haven't bothered to try the ton of other Creative software but glad to get sound working through speakers.

Everything seems to be working as advertised now. Creative drivers are always beastly and was expecting the worst but guess MS was smart enough to figure a way to get them to work. Now waiting on a graphics driver for the new build of 10.

Not installing a lot of stuff on the preview and almost nobody has drivers for it. They mostly have to be pushed out by MS through updates for the time being. Tried Nvidia 8.1 graphics drivers and they were much worse than the ones offered through Update.

Ahh, good thinking. I had to do similar on the last build for my USB Wireless adapter to see 5GHz networks.. The drivers were installed but Windows used their own instead of Netgears that were on the system. I just had to switch to the NetGear drivers in device manager and I could see 5GHz Networks.

Last edited:
rwv64lX.png

why does this button go over the 1px border on the right side

also slowly losing my sanity to search being seperate from start

+like

Oh, for anyone who wants to go back to the start menu as used in the previous builds:

Open regedit and Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advanced
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, call it "EnableXamlStartMenu"

Restart Explorer​ (or just logout/login or reboot) and enjoy the old Start menu.

Now the old start menu is back and I can use the quick search again! :D

Woo! Thank you.

I was really hoping this build would be stable enough for daily use but it's clear they have a lot of work to do.

Oh, for anyone who wants to go back to the start menu as used in the previous builds:

Open regedit and Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advanced
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value, call it "EnableXamlStartMenu"

Restart Explorer​ (or just logout/login or reboot) and enjoy the old Start menu.

Now the old start menu is back and I can use the quick search again! :D

Nice. For the time being it'll work, wouldn't count on this hack surviving through to the RTM though. Same way in Windows 8 dev preview you could reghack the start menu back, then they removed the ability in later builds after it had become extremely popular.

Nice. For the time being it'll work, wouldn't count on this hack surviving through to the RTM though. Same way in Windows 8 dev preview you could reghack the start menu back, then they removed the ability in later builds after it had become extremely popular.

In the Windows 8 Developer preview I don't believe that a hack was required for the old Start Menu. From what I've seen in the 9926 build Start is clearly a work in progress. The only thing that I see clearly defined is the switching between desktop and laptop mode and tiles on the left.

Build 9926 has hosed my laptop video card. AMD A8-4500M with 7640G video card. No drivers work anymore. Previous builds worked beautifully. Trying one last driver set...don't have high hopes. Will edit post with results.

EDIT: Thanks MS for this Build 9926. Such a step backwards. I understand this is a Technical Preview but why in the hell are bugs like this allowed to be in the build? My video card is completely shot on build 9926. Playing with the AMD drivers has also caused my audio drivers to shit themselves so I have no sound anymore either. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'd call this an unfinished alpha, the only purpose is for people to actually submit feedback. There will be tons of issues I'm sure just like the last build. e.g. I tried to upgrade from 9879 and the update failed and rolled back to 9879.

whats the point of submitting feedback when they don't listen.

everyone wanted start menu back, and what did they do? create this bastardized menu that mostly is un-usable, just bring back the old start menu that everyone wants.

anyone else hate the new windows updates? they removed the old windows update from control panel, now you have use idiot metro app, that doesn't even let you pick what updates to install.

How can I prevent file explorer opening in that dumb quick access section?

Why is details pane still on the right side!!

anyone else hate the new windows updates? they removed the old windows update from control panel, now you have use idiot metro app, that doesn't even let you pick what updates to install.

It actually does let you select what updates to install. Once updates are available, click advanced, and you'll be presented with a checklist.

There's usually no reason not to install every available update, though.

I will check that again, I didn't see that before

OK, just like with windows 8, why are all hard drives, optical drives, removable storage lumped together under devices and drivers.

Hmm so you actually cannot get aero in windows 10... I am happy with the way win7 on aero looks... Win10 looks like a downgrade aesthetically... at least it is free and should perform better than win7.

I really hope that they do something about the visuals of this before it is released... I assume that this is a preview so hopefully it will look a lot better when released! Reminds me of a cross between windows 7 on non aero mode and a fisher price childrens playground.

Does it give you the option to install over the previous OS with keeping Apps programs and files or is a Fresh install recommended.

I can just move files around and be up and running in about a day or so. I'm not going to try Win 10 till it's out because of bad experiences with Win 8 preview.

Hmm so you actually cannot get aero in windows 10... I am happy with the way win7 on aero looks... Win10 looks like a downgrade aesthetically... at least it is free and should perform better than win7.

I really hope that they do something about the visuals of this before it is released... I assume that this is a preview so hopefully it will look a lot better when released! Reminds me of a cross between windows 7 on non aero mode and a fisher price childrens playground.

Agreed. Aero should at least be made available as an option for the people that want it. This new Frankenstein start menu is like Microsoft got shunned in Win8 so now they're "lemme just put the tip in" trying to worm a shunned and failed UI and app paradigm back in. Unless metro tiles can all be 100% disabled on this new "start menu" then the third party start menu developers are going to be very happy again because people will just roll that.

Really, what's so hard about giving the OPTION of the classic Win7 start menu, and then people can still benefit from the Win10 changes under the hood. desktop users are going to ignore metro apps and the metro store again either way, just like they did in Win8. Might as well let them be comfortable and use the OS on their terms, not Microsoft's.

Last edited:
Really, what's so hard about giving the OPTION of the classic Win7 start menu, and then people can still benefit from the Win10 changes under the hood. desktop users are going to ignore metro apps and the metro store again either way, just like they did in Win8. Might as well let them be comfortable and use the OS on their terms, not Microsoft marketing's.

This right here. This is the big mistake they made with Windows 8. I don't mind the Start Screen and other Windows 8 things. But, the lack of the option to have the classic menu was a HUGE mistake. They took the control from the user. They've done it before, but now it was taken right in front of them. It was a huge thing, and it was obvious. It doesn't matter why people didn't like it - fear of change, lack of options, too cumbersome, lost efficiency - it wasn't able to be changed. That's the way it is. Take it or leave it. If the option to have the classic start menu was there, Windows 8 would have sold a lot more than it did.

Not sure if this was asked already. Just installed this on a test box w/3 hard drives. Windows Explorer shows the drives in reverse order (ie. E: then D: then C: ). Never seen that before. Any way to get it to show the drives in proper letter order?

EDIT: mmm, seems it's listing them in alphabetical order by drive label. Don't like that at all.

Not sure if this was asked already. Just installed this on a test box w/3 hard drives. Windows Explorer shows the drives in reverse order (ie. E: then D: then C: ). Never seen that before. Any way to get it to show the drives in proper letter order?

EDIT: mmm, seems it's listing them in alphabetical order by drive label. Don't like that at all.
Right Click -> Sort By -> Ascending

I am still on 9841 and there are no updates at this time. Was it pulled due to the KB?

What is the deal with lumping HDD with Burners? Least 7 knew the difference.

Each time I go to C drive the burner icon is in front and I hit the damn thing.

Have it set up group by type.

Using a dual boot here and Windows 10 shows the drives in "proper" order C, D, E with DVD listed last just like in Windows 7. Wonder if the type of install makes a difference?

Curious, everybody that installed 10 preview, did you put in the default 16 digit code because I was not prompted for it and it's activated and working fine.

Curious, everybody that installed 10 preview, did you put in the default 16 digit code because I was not prompted for it and it's activated and working fine.

no registration code input necessary...don't know why they even listed the Product Key

What Nvidia drivers do you guys have installed and did you get them from Windows Update or Nvidia.com?

I'm running 344.75 but I've seen reviews of the latest Tech Preview that say they got newer drivers from Windows Update. Not sure why I'm not seeing them.

What Nvidia drivers do you guys have installed and did you get them from Windows Update or Nvidia.com?

I'm running 344.75 but I've seen reviews of the latest Tech Preview that say they got newer drivers from Windows Update. Not sure why I'm not seeing them.

My test system with a GTX 460 installed a driver from Windows Update right out of the box. The updater inside of it then wanted to download the 347.25's I think. Not seeing any Windows Updates for anything higher.

I put in the 16 digit code (I think) but I started with the first preview version and have been updating it instead of doing a fresh install.
To answer my own question from a few posts back, if you don't want OneDrive to start, the old program, StartUpCpl (the portable version) by Mike Lin works on Win10 if run as administrator. Available at MajorGeeks.

Using 340 which is the last to support 8 series.
10 installed them during system update but it also installed all the fluff I don't need yet no physx.
I uninstalled and reinstalled manually.

Last edited:

347.25 has been the latest WHQL driver for several days now, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's being pushed over Windows Update now.

whats the point of submitting feedback when they don't listen.

everyone wanted start menu back, and what did they do? create this bastardized menu that mostly is un-usable, just bring back the old start menu that everyone wants.

Or offer the classicshell guy money. His is rock solid and it can be skinned to look Windows 8ish.

I understand that they want to develop in-house their own unique flavoring. But some times acquiring the talent (or code) of someone who already has a jump start on it is quicker for development.

Heck, bring his in as a "classic shell / alternative" fall back. The biggest mistake MS made with Win8 was removing the customization options. In previous windows, if you didn't like the changes, you could fall back. In Win8, the one with the most drastic changes, they removed that.

Back