Windows 10 Tech Preview is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just said f it and installed it as my main OS on my gaming pc. ive forgot i even installed it. its fast smooth and no hiccups so far.

Heh Windows 10 gives you attitude, once you click the start menu a pop up goes "How hard was it to use start?" yeah take that bitch.

That's not the way it works. You need a new PC with quad core and 16 GB of RAM to test a new OS. :D

You use what you have. At least you're testing it. Better than some that don't have the ability to do it.... :) Some people just think everyone should be running a home lab with ESXi servers and clustered Windows Servers...

I'm going to tell you what a friends investor finally told him.

Nonono. You need to stop thinking like a "poor boy".

New PC with 8 cores, 32 GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, 4TB HD, Quad 980's

*PLUS*

A 3 node VM Server, each node with dual 2.7Ghz 12-core Xeons, 144GB of memory and a bunch of 1TB SSDs packed into an array, and all of it backed into a bonded quad-Google Fiber connection with a top-end Comcast cable connection as the "aw shit, it's so slow" backup connection.

Oh yeah. And hookers and blow...

I haven't looked in this thread in case people have already solved this problem, but if you are getting an 0x00005d on installing it on VirtualBox, you need to set the guest OS as Windows 8.1, not just Windows 8 or 'Other Windows'. You will also need the "Execute Disable Bit" enabled (it normally is by default) in your hardware BIOS.

Also, don't change the chipset setting from PIIX3, your install will freeze on the loading dots.

Last edited:
I'd love to try it out on my old DELL laptop but when it gets to the screen to setup/choose the parition all it tells me is it cant make or detect a partition and I cant go past it.

The SSD is the only drive in the machine other than the USB stick I'm installing from. Googling hasnt helped much with a solution, even trying the recovery tools to use DISKPART.

Oh well.

Question, is anyone using RDC into Windows 10 from Windows 8.1?

I have had RDC crash on my Windows 8.1 with not responding 3 times now in 1 day..

Didn't happen when my rig was on Windows 8.1 i was RDCing into.

I'd love to try it out on my old DELL laptop but when it gets to the screen to setup/choose the parition all it tells me is it cant make or detect a partition and I cant go past it.

The SSD is the only drive in the machine other than the USB stick I'm installing from. Googling hasnt helped much with a solution, even trying the recovery tools to use DISKPART.

Oh well.

Does it show the SSD at all? if not load drivers for the chipset / controller, probably too old there are no drivers for it for Windows 8/10

Does it show the SSD at all? if not load drivers for the chipset / controller, probably too old there are no drivers for it for Windows 8/10

It shows the SSD fine. Will let me partition it manually and everything. Just wouldnt install to it.

So... installed a bare Win7 and did the upgrade method... worked perfectly.

No clue what the issue was.

I was dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, as a fallback from when I installed 8.1. I hadn't been booting into 7 though for the past 6+ months other than to keep things updated. I decided to upgrade my Windows 7 install to the 10 Tech Preview. I had my fingers crossed that it wouldn't mess up my 8.1 install or the Dual Boot config. In the end it worked perfectly. I now Dual Boot 8.1 and the Tech Preview, and all my games and programs that were already installed when it was 7 continued to work perfectly.

It shows the SSD fine. Will let me partition it manually and everything. Just wouldnt install to it.

As far as I know this is still an ongoing issue installing certain versions of Windows from USB drives. Some machines REFUSE to do it and the only explanation I've gotten is that Windows tries (without indicating it) to write information to to the USB drive instead of the target because at the end of the day the code wasn't written with the expectation that the installation media would be writeable. I have no way of confirming that but I have had USB install media fail on machines that the same ISO burned to a DVD would work on.

working pretty good for me so far aside from useless search bar in start menu....aside form that i like it better than win 8.1 or 7

This preview is going to expire and require a full reinstall of the paid version, just a reminder to everyone of you who install it as your main gaming OS.

It's functional, but just barely:

It connects to the internet via wired, but if I force wireless it hangs on boot.

When I try to change the desktop background, it just defaults to shuffle all the backgrounds.

Also, loading websites is incredibly slow, even on wired internet, and even trying chrome instead.

Going to be a long uphill battle until this crap is usable.

It connects to the internet via wired, but if I force wireless it hangs on boot.

When I try to change the desktop background, it just defaults to shuffle all the backgrounds.

Also, loading websites is incredibly slow, even on wired internet, and even trying chrome instead.

Sounds like you have a bad ISO. I'm experiencing none of these issues. In fact, it even correctly imported my Windows 8.1 settings via my Microsoft account.

Sounds like you have a bad ISO. I'm experiencing none of these issues. In fact, it even correctly imported my Windows 8.1 settings via my Microsoft account.

Same here, and I installed it on an old pentium D with 2GB of RAM

There's also going to devices out there that just don't work well with any given OS. I have 10 installed on an i7 Sandy Bridge laptop driving an external monitor and a 3 year old i5 Sandy Bridge Samsung Series 7 Slate and both machines are running well. There are number of glitches and bugs, particularly with any of the new stuff like windowed modern apps. However thus far all of the desktop apps I've installed, Office 2013, Visual Studio 14 CP, Steam and Origin clients, Portal 2, etc. have worked perfectly.

But it is a test version, it's not meant for day to day use though many people will disregard those warnings and do it any way.

did you have a USB key connected?

there is an issue since windows 7 i had that sometimes if you have USB drive connect when installing the OS you get the lovely "windows can not be installed on this partition" message.

Remove the USB drive and POOF, problem gone.

defaultluser, something definetly wrong with either your install or your hardware. List out your hardware?

I actually found web browsing to be much faster for me, pages loading quicker over IE and Chrome.

I have it on a old acer 5050 laptop 64bit tech preview. I get a error every time I shut down, not sure why.
This needs two major fixes.
1. Being forced to log into a ms account every time boot or from lock out. Netplwiz only clears it. then you need to re enter it.
2. Aero/ remove live or metro live tiles on new start with all the bing junk.

I think the flat icons just don't look good. Fisherprice from 80s is not new.

Can anyone else please test out Dirt 2 or Dirt 3 and see if it also gives you a BSOD on start up?

It certainly does like to chew up the RAM, though. This is a fresh install (w/tools) on ESXi 5.5U2:

Untitled_zpsa9ad9ad9.png

I have it on a old acer 5050 laptop 64bit tech preview. I get a error every time I shut down, not sure why.
This needs two major fixes.
1. Being forced to log into a ms account every time boot or from lock out. Netplwiz only clears it. then you need to re enter it.
2. Aero/ remove live or metro live tiles on new start with all the bing junk.

I think the flat icons just don't look good. Fisherprice from 80s is not new.

I just make a local account. But i agree they should have an option for people that use ms accounts to not have to keep signing in.

It certainly does like to chew up the RAM, though.

This isn't what I'm noticing on my native installs. On an 8 GB device with Work, OneNote, half dozen IE tabs, Tweetium modern app Twitter client and a few other things running I've been noticing only around 3 GB of RAM consumed with the non-Enterprise version.

I just make a local account. But i agree they should have an option for people that use ms accounts to not have to keep signing in.

Go to PC Settings->Users and accounts->Sign-in options and at the bottom of the screen change "Password policy" to not require a password from sleep or lock. In 8.1 this selection had options to time how long the device was in sleep of lock before prompting for a password but it's gone in this build for some reasons and is only a toggle now.

This isn't what I'm noticing on my native installs. On an 8 GB device with Work, OneNote, half dozen IE tabs, Tweetium modern app Twitter client and a few other things running I've been noticing only around 3 GB of RAM consumed with the non-Enterprise version.

Go to PC Settings->Users and accounts->Sign-in options and at the bottom of the screen change "Password policy" to not require a password from sleep or lock. In 8.1 this selection had options to time how long the device was in sleep of lock before prompting for a password but it's gone in this build for some reasons and is only a toggle now.

well the toggle doesn't work at all no matter what its set to

It works fine on my tablet, but it has changed in 10 for some reason so something could be borked for some.

i can say this all was well until i tried out a non local account, and the pos wants me to create a new user account to go back to being local account........course maybe that wont be really a big deal...its just annoyed me since i couldn't use my same name going back to local account....have to have something running or just taking a piss log's you out and wants a pw to log in again.....so i switched to an easy pin but still annoying compared to no password...really acts like a dang smart phone now lol.......now if or when im traveling a pw is a great idea obviously

I've been using it on my desktop since it came out and it works fine for the most part, though I did find a way to crash explorer.exe, if I right click the taskbar and choose any of the options to rearrange windows and then choose to show desktop it crashes explorer.

I did an in place upgrade and it worked fine.

Has anyone found a benefit to the task view? Maybe i just don't understand it idk.....also is there anyway to get rid of the search everywhere bar that doesn't seem to work at all? I miss the basic run bar that worked great in win 8.2....all in all i very much like the new start menu even though i wish it could be made a bit smaller...also is it just me or is rapter just not compatible with this win version? wont install for me and was kinda handy when wanting to record gameing

Last edited:
Has anyone found a benefit to the task view? Maybe i just don't understand it idk.....also is there anyway to get rid of the search everywhere bar that doesn't seem to work at all? I miss the basic run bar that worked great in win 8.2....all in all i very much like the new start menu even though i wish it could be made a bit smaller...also is it just me or is rapter just not compatible with this win version? wont install for me and was kinda handy when wanting to record gameing

For the Search and task view icon removal take a look at this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1231603-windows-10-search-and-task-view-icons-on-taskbar/

I think the task view is great. It's like Expose in OS X but there have been 3rd party utilities that do the same thing on Windows for some time. Microsoft have even implemented such a utility in some of its mouse drivers. It's probably something that have ALT-TAB users might like. Hopefully there's some tricks they can get into the final version like being able to snap from there or open a new instance of an app.

I've been using it on my desktop since it came out and it works fine for the most part, though I did find a way to crash explorer.exe, if I right click the taskbar and choose any of the options to rearrange windows and then choose to show desktop it crashes explorer.

I did an in place upgrade and it worked fine.

So far so good for me on the laptop and tablet. I'm very curious to see what Continuum brings for the tablet UI. There are lots of bugs and glitches in the task view and virtual desktops, nothing though that I've been able to do to crash explorer.exe yet.

Windowed modern apps are also glitch but working better than I expected overall. I know that Stardock's ModernMix does the same thing in Windows 8.1, however that solution has some limitations it seems with modern app power suspending. Apps in 10 seem to not have as many restrictions though some apps like Netflix, Hulu etc. will suspend themselves when minimized or when on another desktop. That should be easy enough to rectify either through API changes or app updates. Apps in general will need to be updated to handle windowing cleaning anyway.

Been using it since Thursday and so far really still digging it for the most part.

I have noticed it doing weird things with my RAID0 array at shutdown sometimes. The other night I had an app set to do an automatic shutdown while I slept (Grabit) and when I woke up the next morning the machine was still on and sitting at black screen with a generic 'Invalid Boot Media" message. Hitting reset I watched it go through POST and saw that the RAID0 array showed up on the intel RAID BIOS as Failed.... tried resetting and power cycling a few more times with the same results. Finally I tried disconnecting power completely for a few seconds (via the hardware PSU switch) and she booted right up after that.

Yesterday morning I was greeted by Windows 10's version of a checkdisk for no reason... it completed, rebooted the machine, and booted right into Windows just fine.

To be fair I am running a slightly unusual setup... 2x 256GB Crucial MX100 in a RAID0 array on my Z68 board's Intel controller. Could be that something with my hardware is shitting the bed, but it's pretty coincidental that it just happened to be after I installed the CTP of Windows 10.

I'll keep watching it and see what it does.... should be interesting either way.

I WANT my OS to chew up ram, that's what I bought it for, to be used. As long as it can easily and quickly share, I could care less what strange predictions it makes to how I use my computer. If it wants to load up all kinds of shit in the ram to be faster in the end, I'm cool with that.

Has anyone found a benefit to the task view? Maybe i just don't understand it idk.....
Larger window previews are a plus, in my opinion. I could go back and forth as to whether I'd prefer window previews or large icons ala OS X's task switcher, but I think what they have here is good.

Well, I installed it at home as an upgrade over Windows 8.1 Pro. (Did this onto another SSD other than my main one.) Seemed to go well but, I am immediately finding the Start Screen to be more useful at home than the Start Menu. Having all my programs on a screen in my face and not having to search for something through a long all apps menu is something I did not realize how much I appreciate until now.

At work, I use the Start Screen pretty much just to do a quick search of what I need. (It is quicker than hunting for an icon on the desktop, task bar or even a start menu.) Otherwise, everything I use is pinned to the task bar. Have to say, for those who want the Start Menu, good for them, enjoy. For myself, I have not missed it.

Have not had much of a chance to play with the rest of the provided features yet though.

Bug or they removed this feature?

Dual monitors - Windows 7 you could snap a window on either monitor to the outside and it would take up half a screen, you could then use the Windows Key + arrow direction keys to move that window to another monitor

Windows 10 - i can only snap on the Main monitor and using the Windows + arrow keys it will not move the window to the 2nd monitor..

Bug or they removed this feature?

Dual monitors - Windows 7 you could snap a window on either monitor to the outside and it would take up half a screen, you could then use the Windows Key + arrow direction keys to move that window to another monitor

Windows 10 - i can only snap on the Main monitor and using the Windows + arrow keys it will not move the window to the 2nd monitor..

It also works this way with Windows 8.1 using desktop apps. In 10 it seems to toggle the sides of one monitor and there doesn't seem to be a way to move a window to another monitor anymore. However with all of the new snapping stuff this is going to get cleaned up and probably some new keyboard shortcuts to go with it.

I'd be happy with a universal, non-context-sensitive minimize shortcut. It bothers me to no end that Win+Down doesn't actually minimize a snapped window. Instead, snapped windows get treated as something between standard window and a maximized window.

is there a fix for the search bar in the start menu? I tried it on a customers pc and it worked perfect? just wondering why it just closes the menu whenever i try and type anything in it? I can live without it of course but i used it all the time in win 8.2 and kinda would like to have it functioning on mine.

based on the Preview it sounds like Windows 10 is a winner...looks like I'll take the plunge from Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back