Windows 10 Tech Preview is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that you'll need a Microsoft Account and you'll need to sign up for the Microsoft Insider Program. The x64 download is ~4.1GB.

It's really slow as well.

Yeah, it's on MSDN now, that's much faster. Also there is a non-enterprise version of this on MSDN. Wonder what that is exactly, it's larger than the enterprise version, looks like a slightly newer build, trying that first.

Downloading now. Getting about 7.1 MB/s.

Looks like the 64-bit download is 3.7GB.

Love how the directory is tagged as 9 yet this is for 10, even Microsoft does not know what the hell is going on.

The download of both the consumer and enterprise versions were fast for me.

Both installs took less than 5 minutes each into VMware Workstation.

So far so good.

There are already updates in Windows Update.

Have a spare machine with an i3, 8GB of ram and a 500GB Hard drive. So far, the initial install went really quick off of a DVD 64 bit version.

Love how the directory is tagged as 9 yet this is for 10, even Microsoft does not know what the hell is going on.

Who wants to bet that going to be at 9 until the French guy leaked it and they scrambled to get a new name to have surprise value.

It looks like the download will take around 10 minutes for me at the moment. Anyways not sure where I am going to try this out. Maybe back on the core2 based laptop as a new install removing 8.1 (which is acting very badly at the moment - random periods of heavy disk activity from the system process making the system totally unusable during the time but all AV software I have tried says its totally clean).

The Windows Server and System Center Technical previews are now available on MSDN.

Installing now.
win10techprev.JPG

I like the shading behind the windows when you overlap them. No borders on windows. No Aero Glass option (yet... checking registry for hints of it).

Borderless windows at last! What took them so fucking long?

edit: Nearly borderless.

Start Menu is OK. Very irritated that I cannot remove the Search button from Taskbar. That's going to be very irritating. Hopefully there is a reg hack to remove it.

Otherwise than the new icons I'm surprised at how few changes there have been since 8.1. What have they been doing for 3 years?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys about how it runs. Really considering trying this on my personal desktop.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys about how it runs. Really considering trying this on my personal desktop.

So far, not much different than Windows 8. Fast, stable, quick to open things. Just aesthetics so far.

Start Menu is OK. Very irritated that I cannot remove the Search button from Taskbar. That's going to be very irritating. Hopefully there is a reg hack to remove it.

Otherwise than the new icons I'm surprised at how few changes there have been since 8.1. What have they been doing for 3 years?

That search button gets to me too. Few other things I've noticed that irritate.

1. Cannot remove task/virtual desktop button either. Win+Tab brings it up, dont need a task bar button.

2. Cannot move "modern apps" in the all apps list into folders. I'd like to organize my all apps/start menu.

3. Pinned apps to start menu always want to expand out to two columns. I'd like to have one column not two if I only want 3 things pinned there.

Virtual desktop support is nice, but I feel they still haven't quite nailed the UI. Give us options.

The Task Bar now lets you show only that display's open applications on each display's task bar!!

Also figuring out how persistent the Multiple Desktops are. So far it looks great, but you can't set each desktop to have its own background so far as I can tell. Would have helped keep things divided properly, maybe I'm just missing it.

Last edited:
The download of both the consumer and enterprise versions were fast for me.

Both installs took less than 5 minutes each into VMware Workstation.

So far so good.

There are already updates in Windows Update.

What is the difference between the two? Server and workstation?

The Task Bar now lets you show only that display's open applications on each display's task bar!!

This was in Windows 8 actually.

Also figuring out how persistent the Multiple Desktops are. So far it looks great, but you can't set each desktop to have its own background so far as I can tell. Would have helped keep things divided properly, maybe I'm just missing it.

Nice simple way to do it, needs some polish like different backgrounds would be a start.

No desktop app assignments yet, which make it difficult to manage pre-defined workflows on machines that restart frequently. I assume that will be added prior to release.

English 32-bit (x86) Download (2.93 GB) 73AC23AD89489855F33CA224F196327740057E2E

There goes the rumor that all future Windows OSs were only 64-bit. Seems that very few rumors about Windows are ever true. :p

There goes the rumor that all future Windows OSs were only 64-bit. Seems that very few rumors about Windows are ever true. :p
I don't understand it... Hasn't 64-bit processing been ubiquitous for a long enough period of time that we don't need a 32-bit version anymore? It just confuses the old people...

I don't understand it... Hasn't 64-bit processing been ubiquitous for a long enough period of time that we don't need a 32-bit version anymore? It just confuses the old people...
There's probably some odd-ball foreign CPU manufacturer that only makes 32 bit chips and sells them to emerging nations, so Microsoft has to make an OS for them.

If Windows 8 would of been better received then I think there would of been a better chance of 10 being 64 bit only. But Microsoft has to make up to the 32 bit Windows 8 users as well.

Silly question I guess but does the key they give allow you to install on multiple devices? I'm thinking of trying this on my Laptop first, but I don't want to limit myself from being able to try it on my desktop also if I like what I see.

This was in Windows 8 actually.

Each window could have its own task bar but it was only showing me a universal view on both, I was using DisplayFusion to bifurcate them. Did they push that out through an update?

It felt like we were on that path until the focus of everything became low power consumption. Most x86 tablets on the market don't support x64 because they are based on the Intel Atom chip and for whatever reason it was 32-bit only until pretty recently.

So far, not much different than Windows 8. Fast, stable, quick to open things. Just aesthetics so far.

that was the biggest issue most people had with Windows 8...so it's a HUGE deal that MS made major tweaks to the UI

Seems like most everything in this build has been rumored for some time. As for 64 bit only, it only took a little common sense to know that with all of these Atom devices out there now that Microsoft would continue to support 32 bit.

It felt like we were on that path until the focus of everything became low power consumption. Most x86 tablets on the market don't support x64 because they are based on the Intel Atom chip and for whatever reason it was 32-bit only until pretty recently.

Actually Bay Trail is 64 bit, the issue was with drivers for what they call InstantOn I believe. Still there's no reason for a bigger 64 bit OS foot print for these devices with the specs they carry. I've been telling people a long time, it's gonna be a while before 32 bit goes away, a long while.

Each window could have its own task bar but it was only showing me a universal view on both, I was using DisplayFusion to bifurcate them. Did they push that out through an update?

Maybe that got changed in 8.1, but the options for this in 10 and 8.1 are exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back