• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 10 Tech Preview is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
no way of getting rid of the Search box inside the Start Menu?...with Windows 7 you could remove it via 'Turn Windows Features On or Off'...disabling the 'Windows Search' service doesn't seem to remove it either in Windows 10
 
There was a GUI option "Pin to Start Menu" that worked up until Windows 7.
That GUI option is still there, but it pins to the right-hand pane of the start menu rather than the area above recent programs.

You can drag + drop pretty much anything to that area, though. Works fine.

no way of getting rid of the Search box inside the Start Menu?...with Windows 7 you could remove it via 'Turn Windows Features On or Off'...disabling the 'Windows Search' service doesn't seem to remove it either in Windows 10
I think we all need to keep in mind what Microsoft said about the start menu in Windows 10 being based on the start screen.

That means all this stuff has been re-implemented, so options might be missing or under-developed. For example, a sanity check that makes sure Windows Search is installed/running before rendering the search box likely hasn't been implemented at this stage.
 
I'm glad it's not just me that's having issues with build 9879...seems like a lot of people are going back to an earlier build as it doesn't seem stable enough to use on a daily basis...

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-technical-preview-build-9879-morning-after

That would surprise me. I mean, why would they slow their iteration time on new builds?

the article linked above states that 'Microsoft has announced that it will not be issuing another build until 2015'
 
I couldn't use 9879. Was having all sorts of problems and little annoying bugs.

Same here.....had to go back to using 9860 backup image.....i even tried a clean install with the newest build from iso and i would get stuff like the start button and half the start menu would go missing.....just really odd bugs....but no issues on 9860 so i hope it doesn't force me to update again at some point unless they get a working new build

is there anyway to freeze the updates like on cell phones? lol id rather it stay working:eek:
 
anyone know where Disk Cleanup is with Windows 10?...have they removed it?
Just checked my 9879 build and it's still there for me. it just takes a long time to come up after you click the button.

You can also launch it from PC Settings by searching for "free up disk space"
 
Definitely going to have to go back to build 9860 here... 9879 has some serious issues. Oh well, it's pre-beta software *shrug*
 
Yeah, what a shitty build... I was having all kinds of bugs, like menus not showing up, blank start menu. I reformatted the partition and merged it back with my 8.1 install. I'll wait till the next build i guess.
 
Just checked my 9879 build and it's still there for me. it just takes a long time to come up after you click the button.

You can also launch it from PC Settings by searching for "free up disk space"

I went back to build 9841 but where's the button located?...I don't see it in the usual places and even the 'Search function comes up empty...under 'PC Settings' I see 'free up space on this PC' but don't see any option to activate it...or maybe it's because there is nothing causing any 'free space' issues?
 
got my Windows 10 preview build looking pretty close to Windows 7...the tiles in the Start Menu are still annoying but it looks prettier then Windows 7 overall...once they optimize things and get all the performance issues worked out this could be a really nice OS

 
got my Windows 10 preview build looking pretty close to Windows 7...the tiles in the Start Menu are still annoying but it looks prettier then Windows 7 overall...once they optimize things and get all the performance issues worked out this could be a really nice OS


you can remove those tiles, I did
 
you can remove those tiles, I did

I don't want to remove them...I just wish they would give you the option of a traditional Start Menu layout like Windows 7 instead of the 'tile' one (for the right side of the Start Menu)...but I think I could get used to the tiles eventually
 
why does win10 use so much memory??
xp -> ~300 mb
win 7 -> 800 mb
win 10 -> 1.5 gb

ugh
I'm not concerned with how much it uses, I'm concerned at how low it scales.

If I have a 16GB device I want the system to use as much as possible. If I have a 1GB device I want it to use as little as possible.
 
I'm not concerned with how much it uses, I'm concerned at how low it scales.

If I have a 16GB device I want the system to use as much as possible. If I have a 1GB device I want it to use as little as possible.

Windows 8.1's base requirement is 1 GB and contrary to a lot of opinions it actually runs very well. I've have been totally impressed by these cheap Atom devices. Windows 10's minimum I'm pretty sure will be the same. For all of Windows 8's issues Microsoft has managed to gain some nice efficiencies in it. 1 GB of RAM and only 4 GB on a base install, it can run on mobile OS level hardware and perform well. Of course you won't be playing Crysis but mobile apps, light to medium weight desktop apps with enough power to do productive work with multitasking isn't a problem.
 
why does win10 use so much memory??
xp -> ~300 mb
win 7 -> 800 mb
win 10 -> 1.5 gb

ugh
First of all, this is a pre-release version. I imagine there's some debug stuff running in the background that wont be there in the final version.

Second, all versions of Windows (starting with Vista) are designed to use 100% of available memory. The more RAM you give the OS, the more the precatcher will load into it. Empty RAM is wasted RAM.
 
Last edited:
Windows 8.1 is "Stable", this pre-release software is "development", and internal builds are "experimental".


Not what I was saying. But OK.

As I said, the users feedback on a particular build would allow that build to be marked as " stable" (for a tech preview/beta). What you're saying is that the only build that should be marked as stable is 8.1. So either you're implying that Windows 10 is really 8.2 (which I wouldn't disagree), or you're saying that no tech preview should be considered stable.
 
I'm glad it's not just me that's having issues with build 9879...seems like a lot of people are going back to an earlier build as it doesn't seem stable enough to use on a daily basis...

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-technical-preview-build-9879-morning-after

the article linked above states that 'Microsoft has announced that it will not be issuing another build until 2015'

That is correct, for an official source see New build available to the Windows Insider Program at the Blogging Windows blog.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros on TechNet
 
Son of a ... I got updated to 9879 last night. Is MS releasing micro patches in-between the builds? Or should I just go ahead and roll back now?

*edit*Ahh, got my answer from WinOutreach's link. Much obliged. Yes, they are patching the builds. New 9879 might be stable-r.
 
I keep getting multiple This PC icons again on my desktop that they fixed in the previous version.

edit: Apparently Pressing F5 will get rid of them, it's an issue they are working on.
 
Last edited:
why does win10 use so much memory??
xp -> ~300 mb
win 7 -> 800 mb
win 10 -> 1.5 gb

ugh

Do you not know how modern Windows uses memory? It frees it up when somehing else needs it.

Trying to keep all your RAM free at all times it like trying to keep your car's gas tank as empty as possible at all times.. and I doubt you do that.
 
This new build is nothing but problems for me 9879.

Installed and having the lock issue, lock my system , screen doesn't turn on so cant log in.

RDC is inaccessible when the lock issues happens

Explorer crashing alot.

Windows slow to open, ctrl+alt+del taking 3-4 seconds to show the options on my screen..
 
why does win10 use so much memory??
xp -> ~300 mb
win 7 -> 800 mb
win 10 -> 1.5 gb

ugh

Seriously?

You're comparing a 12 year old OS to today's uses and needs? You are aware of what is it the OS is responsible for on a computer?

If you dont need all the new features in modern day OS go back tousing your single or dual core system with 256Mb of memory or 1Gig and have fun...


And with todays systems mostly all shipping with 8Gig of memory or more unless some budget rig who cares?

WHy not compare how much memory Windows 3.1 used vs XP.. MAN XP is such a memory hog!
 
At one point it was believed that Windows 9/10 would be 64 bit only. Since 32 bit ISOs are available that's clearly not true, at least regarding the Enterprise/Professional landscape. For the Home version, I would expect that 32 bit is not an option and that only 64 bit will be available.

I do though think it will be the last 32 bit version to any degree. I suspect that due to the failure of Windows 8, Microsoft feels it's in their best interest to deliver an improved 32 bit OS variant to those who want/need a 32 bit platform for the Enterprise market.
 
Last edited:
At one point it was believed that Windows 9/10 would be 64 bit only. Since 32 bit ISOs are available that's clearly not true, at least regarding the Enterprise/Professional landscape.
Clearly? Hardly.

Lets not forget Windows 2000 made it to RC1 before it dropped DEC Alpha support. They can drop support for 32bit hardware at any point during the pre-release phase.

I do though think it will be the last 32 bit version to any degree.
That I'll agree with. One last upgrade cycle for 2006-era hardware that originally shipped with Vista.
 
At one point it was believed that Windows 9/10 would be 64 bit only. Since 32 bit ISOs are available that's clearly not true, at least regarding the Enterprise/Professional landscape. For the Home version, I would expect that 32 bit is not an option and that only 64 bit will be available.

I do though think it will be the last 32 bit version to any degree. I suspect that due to the failure of Windows 8, Microsoft feels it's in their best interest to deliver an improved 32 bit OS variant to those who want/need a 32 bit platform for the Enterprise market.

Hardware is what's forcing them to do it. When windows 7 first came out Intel was still actively selling 32-bit only desktop processors. With windows 8, there's still is a lot of 32-bit only Atom processors to deal with in tablets, and ongoing issues with connected standby and 64-bit processors. If 10 resolves the connected standby issue, it will probably be the last 32-bit version, and it will probably be just to stop a PR nightmare from starting if people found out their 6-mo old tablet couldn't run the latest windows.
 
If you're going to go a 64bit only OS then Microsoft would have to give serious lead time notice. Lots of 32bit apps/programs would need to be updated unless they have a really good compatibility layer built in.
 
If you're going to go a 64bit only OS then Microsoft would have to give serious lead time notice. Lots of 32bit apps/programs would need to be updated unless they have a really good compatibility layer built in.
This issue was solved YEARS ago when 64bit Windows was first introduced. 32bit applications run just fine on 64bit Windows through the WOW64 emulation layer. There is no worthwhile performance penalty for running a 32bit application through WOW64, either.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249(v=vs.85).aspx

Microsoft can drop 32bit Windows whenever they want without having much of any impact on application compatibility. It's hardware compatibility that would be a problem.
 
Microsoft can drop 32bit Windows whenever they want without having much of any impact on application compatibility. It's hardware compatibility that would be a problem.

Agreed. Even with no 32-bit OS version, 32-bit applications would have to be supported indefinitely under 64-bit and since that's been the case for years now, I wouldn't see any reason for that not to be case for years, even a decade plus after the last 32-bit OS.

Hardware is the bigger issue and with the proliferation of low resource devices that's occurring right now and for the foreseeable future as Windows competes with Android and Chrome OS on cheap hardware. While there are advantages to 64-bit even with low resource devices, there's also overhead and addressing >4GB of RAM is something that these cheap devices aren't going be doing anytime soon.
 
I got a huge service pack yesterday, they fixed the start menu fonts that were too small. Runs OK in a VM as a curiosity, I wouldn't pay money for it.

w10-VM.png
 
I got a huge service pack yesterday, they fixed the start menu fonts that were too small. Runs OK in a VM as a curiosity, I wouldn't pay money for it.

You and the vast majority of folks that run Windows. The overwhelming majority of people that use Windows never directly paid for it.
 
You and the vast majority of folks that run Windows. The overwhelming majority of people that use Windows never directly paid for it.

Do you think this w10 preview will expire? My w8 Developer Preview still works, I only boot it up to test my apps.
 
Do you think this w10 preview will expire? My w8 Developer Preview still works, I only boot it up to test my apps.

I thought it was supposed to expire April 15, 2015. The consumer preview should be launching next month which I would expect to be far more feature complete and polished compared to previous build. I would expect the current builds to quickly go into the garbage can.
 
Any news on how close they are to a RC version?

The rumor mill has said that Microsoft would like to get 10 in time for back to school. I'm not sure if that's doable but we should have a pretty decent idea about how far along 10 is when the consumer preview debuts next month. If that release still isn't feature complete, I would suspect that 10 would follow 7 and 8.x with RTM in the summer and general availability in the fall which would put an RC probably at late spring. If 10 is to make back to school season, RCs would need to roll out no later than early to mid-March.
 
Will the consumer preview be able to be updated to retail with the purchase of a key?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top