• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Windows 10 Tech Preview is available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the consumer preview be able to be updated to retail with the purchase of a key?
No previous version of Windows has officially allowed this.

Unofficially, there's a simple trick that allows the in-place upgrade to occur anyway. Do this at your own risk, any bugs you experience will be insta-blamed on upgrading from beta.
 
If you're going to go a 64bit only OS then Microsoft would have to give serious lead time notice. Lots of 32bit apps/programs would need to be updated unless they have a really good compatibility layer built in.

With a name like pcjunkie...are you are a heroin junkie who likes pcs that has therefore been asleep or out of it for the past 8 years?

Alternatively: hurrrr I use da pcccc errrrr deeerrrrr


Dude, what programs are you referring to?
 
If you're going to go a 64bit only OS then Microsoft would have to give serious lead time notice. Lots of 32bit apps/programs would need to be updated unless they have a really good compatibility layer built in.

is a non issue, e.g. firefox is 32bit only yet it runs on 64bit OS.

Really I want to see 32 bit os's ditched, no vendor should be making 32bit only cpus in 2014/2015.
 
I'm unable to set keyboard delay & repeat rate, it runs a very fast default no matter what I set in keyboard properties.

Any ideas?


Also, is there a way to disable the taskbar popups when mouse is over taskbar?
 
Last edited:
Will the consumer preview be able to be updated to retail with the purchase of a key?

Rumors suggest that it should be able to. Upgrade from each build all the way up to final RTM retail. Whether or not you trust it to go all the way is all you, though. I'm going for it, but I will do a clean install on RTM, anyway (what I typically do).
 
why do they call it :Technical Preview" when it's clearly a beta version?

And for windows insider who contribute, do we get a free lic. on the final release? Because my time is not free. And the last update totally freeze the whole damn PC
 
why do they call it :Technical Preview" when it's clearly a beta version?

And for windows insider who contribute, do we get a free lic. on the final release? Because my time is not free. And the last update totally freeze the whole damn PC

Please tell me you are not using this as your primary OS? :confused::eek: Also, for the world at large, which sounds better: Technical Preview or Beta? Besides, this is hardly Beta, more like pre Alpha.
 
do we get a free lic. on the final release? Because my time is not free. And the last update totally freeze the whole damn PC

No you wont get a free license, I suggest you stop using it now if your worried about being paid for your time.
 
Please tell me you are not using this as your primary OS? :confused::eek: Also, for the world at large, which sounds better: Technical Preview or Beta? Besides, this is hardly Beta, more like pre Alpha.

the freezes is on the latest posted mesg. on the forum. I was about to install it on an old laptop though
 
Does anybody know how to change system colors? I want to get rid of the bright white backgrounds in file explorer. This works on some windows but not explorer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\Window
 
With a name like pcjunkie...are you are a heroin junkie who likes pcs that has therefore been asleep or out of it for the past 8 years?

Alternatively: hurrrr I use da pcccc errrrr deeerrrrr


Dude, what programs are you referring to?

is a non issue, e.g. firefox is 32bit only yet it runs on 64bit OS.

Really I want to see 32 bit os's ditched, no vendor should be making 32bit only cpus in 2014/2015.

64-bit Windows run 32-bit applications because there is a lot of legacy code built into Windows. Going to a pure 64-bit OS will break compatibility with most, if not all, 32-bit programs. It will greatly decrease the OS size though.
 
Some need to do some reading about Windows on Windows...
 
With a name like pcjunkie...are you are a heroin junkie who likes pcs that has therefore been asleep or out of it for the past 8 years?

Alternatively: hurrrr I use da pcccc errrrr deeerrrrr


Dude, what programs are you referring to?

We have a few older work apps that won't run on Windows 7 64bit. Why I don't know since I'm not a programer but maybe someone in the know could chime in on it.

PS: No reason to make a douche bag comment like you did though. What are you like 10 years old?
 
Ok, so, there's new information on this: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...should-be-able-upgrade-rtm-version-windows-10

They plan to allow upgrading from pre-release to RTM. That's a first.

Everything in this article I Read is what I first thought of when I read the Question... Why the fuck would you want to?

These Builds are seriously broken... I haven't run a build since it first came out. With that said, there is no way in hell I would start with one of them.
 
I don't really find it that surprising considering they allowed in place upgrades of 8 to 8.1 and also between all of the preview builds. Microsoft has fine tuned the in place OS upgrade process much like Apple.

Since they plan on having a shared kernel on all types of devices having this fine tuned was vital to accomplish that.
 
No you wont get a free license, I suggest you stop using it now if your worried about being paid for your time.

okay, put it this way, say we test our way thru to the beta ver., is there any way for us to own a legi. copy of Win 10 license for any beta tester? I mean, realistically microsoft do benefit from it
 
The rumor mill has said that Microsoft would like to get 10 in time for back to school. I'm not sure if that's doable but we should have a pretty decent idea about how far along 10 is when the consumer preview debuts next month. If that release still isn't feature complete, I would suspect that 10 would follow 7 and 8.x with RTM in the summer and general availability in the fall which would put an RC probably at late spring. If 10 is to make back to school season, RCs would need to roll out no later than early to mid-March.

I didn't realize I'm testing pre-alpha. Since that is so, how can there possibly be enough time to rel. this next Sept.?

PS what's RTM again?
 
We have a few older work apps that won't run on Windows 7 64bit. Why I don't know since I'm not a programer but maybe someone in the know could chime in on it.
Windows' legacy compatibility is good — some would say cripplingly good — but not absolute.

PS: No reason to make a douche bag comment like you did though.
Etiquette isn't covered in the Microsoft Employee Handbook.
 
why do they call it :Technical Preview" when it's clearly a beta version?

And for windows insider who contribute, do we get a free lic. on the final release? Because my time is not free. And the last update totally freeze the whole damn PC

It a technical preview because people who develop or use windows in critical environments cannot just be thrown in at the last minute. They need a good year ahead of time to prepare.

You probably wont get a free license if your time is so valuable then A you are a person who needs to get a head start on something with a tech preview and are being paid for your time right now or B you shouldn't be using the tech preview at all, or C your time isn't actually worth anything which is why you are worried about getting a measly free windows license.
 
why do they call it :Technical Preview" when it's clearly a beta version?

It's not a beta version. Beta means, or at least is supposed to mean, feature complete. The Windows 10 previews are clearly missing features.
 
It's not a beta version. Beta means, or at least is supposed to mean, feature complete. The Windows 10 previews are clearly missing features.

It's not unheard of to 'miss features' at publish date even.
 
Everything in this article I Read is what I first thought of when I read the Question... Why the fuck would you want to?

These Builds are seriously broken... I haven't run a build since it first came out. With that said, there is no way in hell I would start with one of them.

It's the way the new Windows is designed. The way that it could be "the last version of Windows". The way that it updates is different than in the past, so it can do a 'clean' upgrade of OS components while keeping everything else intact. Supposedly. While it is possible, I think most, if not all, computer people will stick with a fresh install. It's just how we do it.

In theory, it looks like it will work very nice and be pretty effective. Just waiting to see it done in real life scenarios. Enterprise deployments will be super sweet, though. Windows is becoming more modular than it used to be.

The 'softies I spoke with on this seem to have a lot of optimism in it, and have most of it working. They did explain that the new method for upgrading is why some of the Windows 10 preview builds are not going to be available as ISO's, just updates from the previous builds.
 
It's not unheard of to 'miss features' at publish date even.

Depends on the priority level of the features. There's a difference between not shipping with MKV support and not shipping with a new interface.
 
I've run every Windows beta/preview build on my primary pc - Longhorn, Vista, the M builds for Win 7, Win 8 etc. And none of those has been as buggy/unstable as Win 10, which is very troubling.

I have a brand new Core i7 pc and it doesn't really feel any faster or different than Win 8.1 Pro other than the Start menu and visual theme. I've had major instabilities due to video drivers installed by Windows Update, WinSxs expanding to fill my entire SSD because it kept on downloading the same driver over and over again resulting in 100's of copies which I had to then delete manually using driver store explorer, monitors not waking from sleep, still no support for per-monitor dpi, in fact there's hardly anything new at this point.

I know the Consumer preview in late Jan/Feb will be new, but I was at least expecting builds to be stable till then.
 
I've run every Windows beta/preview build on my primary pc - Longhorn, Vista, the M builds for Win 7, Win 8 etc. And none of those has been as buggy/unstable as Win 10, which is very troubling.
Were any of those builds pre-alpha? I tried Googling "M build" for Win7/8, but there weren't any relevant results, and I've not heard the term before.
 
My start menu is busted (can't search at all) so I had to go back to the start screen.

Not all startup programs actually run when I login. Not sure what's up with that.

Mostly everything else is stable though.
 
I've run every Windows beta/preview build on my primary pc - Longhorn, Vista, the M builds for Win 7, Win 8 etc. And none of those has been as buggy/unstable as Win 10, which is very troubling.

What you're seeing is much closer to the experience we have internally when making an OS. Seems the Windows team is making a much more concerted effort to get the customer in the room, identify the pain points, and address them. The flip side of that is, unlike when releasing one "for customers" build that is polished and tested to a degree (and often out of date by the time customers get it), customers get a build that may have issues, sometimes significant.

In short: remember, it's prerelease software.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top