Windows 10 seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raglafart

Limp Gawd
Everything I do in Windows 10 takes more time, is less stable and more likely to crash. I've lost features that were so helpful and easy in Win 7
I see post after post here on what's the most stable version, crash here, blue screen there, black screen now, update fail, how do I disable this? How do I enable that?

Why oh why can't Microsoft do the right bloody thing and fix it for once and all!

No one designs or creates a human being to be sold in a market place. There are no expectations other than we are whole and healthy when born and may achieve something worthwhile in a given life span.
Windows 10 has been designed and developed with the intent of fulfilling the specific needs of computer consumers. It has a price tag which means it should have some measure of satisfying the criteria it was made to meet! It has failed meeting customer expectations abysmally

Windows 7 is by FAR the best and most stable Windows i have ever used, why they had to cut support for it is beyond me, people will still use it for many many years, hell there are people still using Windows XP :)

This is 100% subjective. The ones with the issues are the loudest. Here is some anecdotal evidence it's perfect: I have never had windows 10 crash. Ever.

See how useless that is?

Windows isn't just a piece of software. It's software that does EVERYTHING. It takes you from a BIOS to everything you could want to do. Software runs inside it. It is the main hub.

This being the case, and there being so many different hardware configurations out there, there can be issues some users will run into. Sorry you are one of them.

I'll give Linux it's normal plug here, before someone else does.

Everything I do in Windows 10 takes more time, is less stable and more likely to crash. I've lost features that were so helpful and easy in Win 7
I see post after post here on what's the most stable version, crash here, blue screen there, black screen now, update fail, how do I disable this? How do I enable that?

Why oh why can't Microsoft do the right bloody thing and fix it for once and all!

Sounds like you need to reinstall. I've had zero issues with Windows 10 especially the latest versions 1903/1909. It's been much more stable than Windows 7 ever was.

Lest we forget how bad it could really be.
:eek:

me.jpg

1807, or whatever, broke my Bluetooth. Slower than black strap molasses in February. Was not fixed until cumulative update over two months later. 1903 has been flawless so far. Been putting off 1909 but hear it is good too. The move to 10 is here. May as well accept it.

Windows 10 has been perfectly stable for me in my (gaming only) use. I think the trick is to sanitize the OS not to get all sorts of malware on it. I would be scared shitless if I had to use Windows as a daily driver.

ME worked fine for me ;)
There is always someone who says things like that. :D ME will always be MS's unwanted bastard child. Many people spent a lot of time staring at the locked up screen above. As for myself it was Voodoo4 card in a HP. Good friend of mine bought a pre-built that did not even run as configured. After days back and forth with HP on the phone it was finally established WinME did not play well with the Glide drivers. A brand new GF2 GTS was delivered free and all was right as rain. Step forward a few months and I was given both cards well as the HP.

Last edited:
Everything I do in Windows 10 takes more time
Can you list a few activities that take longer?
is less stable and more likely to crash.
Does Event Viewer give any clues? You may be able to isolate it down to a goofed up driver or possibly hardware.
I've lost features that were so helpful and easy in Win 7
What sorts of things have you lost?

That "most stable" thing is a recent trend, and the same person posted all three threads from this week.

One of the handy things they added is the Feedback App. Leave feedback.

Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7 on low end hardware, which is plentiful considering the average Mom and Dad types that go for the 'affordable' laptop in the store. While it's not my first choice as far as operating systems go, it does what it's supposed to do in relation to an interface between the user and the computer.

Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7 on low end hardware, which is plentiful considering the average Mom and Dad types that go for the 'affordable' laptop in the store. While it's not my first choice as far as operating systems go, it does what it's supposed to do in relation to an interface between the user and the computer.
I'm not sure where "low end" starts with regards to any noticeable effect on Win10 performance vs. Win7. I can say Win10 is more tuned for solid state storage, so anything with a hard disk as primary storage won't be ideal (but as long as the drive is fast for a HDD, it's not terrible). I'd say 4GB is the absolute bare minimum to even do basic web stuff these days, but web browsers are more the reason than the OS. At work I recently found a well-maintained ThinkPad T410, 2011 vintage, with an i5. With 8GB and an old SSD in it Win10 gave it new life as a lab/bench machine they are actually running (light-weight) production tools on.

Been on Win10 Pro x64 since Dec.2nd 2019, not a single issue with it. I did however do a "tweaked" install, where I installed off line, and used a tool to disable telemetry, etc. called WPD. I also made some changes to Group Policies to prevent driver updates and other tweaks to basic settings, and uninstallng bloatware that comes by default. The issues I have with Win10 remain the same, privacy and forced updates that can revert settings I make to my system. Every update I allow (not defered for 30 days) I have to go back and check everything and run WPD again. There is no simple solution for the privacy issues, but for stability and performance, it's working great so far. Even getting emulators and legacy software running has been a breeze.

I'm not sure where "low end" starts with regards to any noticeable effect on Win10 performance vs. Win7. I can say Win10 is more tuned for solid state storage, so anything with a hard disk as primary storage won't be ideal (but as long as the drive is fast for a HDD, it's not terrible). I'd say 4GB is the absolute bare minimum to even do basic web stuff these days, but web browsers are more the reason than the OS. At work I recently found a well-maintained ThinkPad T410, 2011 vintage, with an i5. With 8GB and an old SSD in it Win10 gave it new life as a lab/bench machine they are actually running (light-weight) production tools on.

Windows 10 isn't 'tuned' for solid state storage, NTFS performs poorly and is a fragmented file system that 'needs' solid state storage or it's a HDD thrashing mess.

I'm not going to argue with the "no problems for me brigade"
When I load a new OS it gets a new SSD, always a virgin, brand new in the box
I tried 10 when it was free. It just WOULD NOT RUN on the pc that's specked on my signature.
I spent hours sodding about with a dead fish, yep it stunk. I can't remember how many times I revisited and tried again. Still no joy
I bought a 10 pro key some time back and tried again. It loaded okay now, so why all the earlier hassles. A logical man would suggest it was hurried into the market place before it was fully sorted.
The exact same pc will now run 10, but like I say, compared to 7 its a pia. So many lost features, so much working stuff that now won't
I run Win 7 from another SSD, it is 100% hassle free. All the programs I paid for work on it.
If 10 was so good, I wouldn't have to keep swapping drives to do different functions. I'd go to Linux Mint 19.3 which is loaded on another drive in a heartbeat but sadly the programs I use daily are not on Linux yet! and no there aren't any workable equivalents.
Since the introduction of Win 8 MS have made nothing but a mess!

I'm not going to argue with the "no problems for me brigade"
When I load a new OS it gets a new SSD, always a virgin, brand new in the box
I tried 10 when it was free. It just WOULD NOT RUN on the pc that's specked on my signature.
I spent hours sodding about with a dead fish, yep it stunk. I can't remember how many times I revisited and tried again. Still no joy
I bought a 10 pro key some time back and tried again. It loaded okay now, so why all the earlier hassles. A logical man would suggest it was hurried into the market place before it was fully sorted.
The exact same pc will now run 10, but like I say, compared to 7 its a pia. So many lost features, so much working stuff that now won't
I run Win 7 from another SSD, it is 100% hassle free. All the programs I paid for work on it.
If 10 was so good, I wouldn't have to keep swapping drives to do different functions. I'd go to Linux Mint 19.3 which is loaded on another drive in a heartbeat but sadly the programs I use daily are not on Linux yet! and no there aren't any workable equivalents.
Since the introduction of Win 8 MS have made nothing but a mess!
For me personally Win10 has given no problems but then again I use it very little. For my son it has given many problems, including porking his 350 eur Logitech wheel drivers which made me replace the wheel for no reason (I disassembled the wheel expecting to see a typical sensor fault but the sensor was fine). In addition to that there were multiple display driver faults etc annoyances. So I can safely say that my 'free' Windows 10 licenses I obtained when I was in the beta program cost me at least 350 euros and several work hours á 120 eur/hour (if I calculate value to my free time).

I used Windows 10 every day at work and at home. Been using it at home since the pre-release versions were available.

Sure there have been a few updates that have caused specific issues for some work computers but it has been perfectly stable for my home computers.

Corporate-wide we have around 7,000 computers with Windows 10 installed and they work just fine.

Only crashes I had at home were driver related and had absolutely nothing to do with Windows itself.

^^ This.

Just because you are a so-called power user, doesn't mean you are a PC technician. There are a lot of folks out there who moan and whine yet they have no idea what they are really doing when it comes to actually installing an OS proper.

I have been working on PC's since 1995 and I have installed and maintained EVERY Microsoft OS from Windows 3.1 & Windows NT 4 to 2008 r2 Server & Windows 10 and never had the issues some folks have.

I have a client who right now has a Sony All-in-One that came with Vista on it and it still has Vista on it and still runs.

I ran ME for 2 years on my own PC and never had an issue.

Windows 10 runs fine. It is annoying with them deprecating and moving stuff around, but it still runs fine and I keep it patched with out issue.

/thread.

The only issue I have ever had with windows 10 was that it didn't want to update past some 15xxx version. Kept failing at 76% but would never tell me why. Oh well. Otherwise, works fine.

Only crashes I had at home were driver related and had absolutely nothing to do with Windows itself.

I administrate tons of Windows 10, and they are on 24x7 and just bounce for updates really. Pretty stable. I mean, you have the normal issues (out of memory, out of disk), but typical stuff that affects anything.

The only issue I have ever had with windows 10 was that it didn't want to update past some 15xxx version. Kept failing at 76% but would never tell me why. Oh well. Otherwise, works fine.

There was a fix for that I am pretty sure. I think the first time I saw that I just redid Windows 10 from scratch with the latest version available at the time because I had done a ton of changes since I had last redone my computer and it needed to be cleaned anyway.

I know sometimes updates and other things freak out if you have too much crap in your Windows/Temp folder.

Your drive being too fragmented can cause weird stuff like that as well... even if you are using an SSD. Around 25-30% fragmented and stuff starts going down hill. Around 40% all bets are off as to whether or not you will have issues.

There was a fix for that I am pretty sure. I think the first time I saw that I just redid Windows 10 from scratch with the latest version available at the time because I had done a ton of changes since I had last redone my computer and it needed to be cleaned anyway.

I know sometimes updates and other things freak out if you have too much crap in your Windows/Temp folder.

Your drive being too fragmented can cause weird stuff like that as well... even if you are using an SSD. Around 25-30% fragmented and stuff starts going down hill. Around 40% all bets are off as to whether or not you will have issues.

I did a bit of research and apparently around that percentage indicates a hardware incompatibility. I did all the normal trouble shooting and decided I didn't need it anyway.

^^ This.

Just because you are a so-called power user, doesn't mean you are a PC technician. There are a lot of folks out there who moan and whine yet they have no idea what they are really doing when it comes to actually installing an OS proper.

I have been working on PC's since 1995 and I have installed and maintained EVERY Microsoft OS from Windows 3.1 & Windows NT 4 to 2008 r2 Server & Windows 10 and never had the issues some folks have.

I have a client who right now has a Sony All-in-One that came with Vista on it and it still has Vista on it and still runs.

Windows 10 runs fine. It is annoying with them deprecating and moving stuff around, but it still runs fine and I keep it patched with out issue.

/thread.

Same here. Been using PCs since 1985 or so, and work in the field as a Server Admin, so I have to know Windows in and out. Windows 10 is by far the best O/S we have run in our environment with over 2000 systems, and 400 servers (Server 2012 R2 - 2019). Anyone who says its terrible doesn't have a clue how to setup their computer.

I had a few issues when I was running the Fast Ring (Windows 10 Insider Edition) but that's pretty much what you sign up for when using pre-release software; only once did I have a horrid experience but was able to back out the change that prevented the system from booting.

The only issues I encounter on the laptop (Windows 10 Home Edition) is when it decided to update in the middle of a gaming session. Thankfully, after several months that problem went away.

I did a bit of research and apparently around that percentage indicates a hardware incompatibility. I did all the normal trouble shooting and decided I didn't need it anyway.

As a tech I've experienced this numerous times, very frustrating.

I used Windows 10 every day at work and at home. Been using it at home since the pre-release versions were available.

Sure there have been a few updates that have caused specific issues for some work computers but it has been perfectly stable for my home computers.

Corporate-wide we have around 7,000 computers with Windows 10 installed and they work just fine.

Lets try not to compare tightly controlled, corperate networks usually protected by Linux internet facing firewalls with the average computer user - Both are completely different usage scenarios and it's no wonder you don't encounter such issues on your tightly controlled corporate network.

Lets try not to compare tightly controlled, corperate networks usually protected by Linux internet facing firewalls with the average computer user - Both are completely different usage scenarios and it's no wonder you don't encounter such issues on your tightly controlled corporate network.

Windows 10 as a whole is no worse than 7 though.. and in some things is better and in some things is worse (some of the UI mainly).

Maybe it is more the "Home" version that is not as good as Pro or Enterprise versions. I've never had the Home version on any of my personal systems though so I can't really speak to that.

I actually like how MS forces the Home version to install the updates because the problem of people not ever updating their XP, Vista, and Windows 7 machines led to a whole lot of vulnerabilities and thus a lot more virus and malware infections.

I've just been using Windows 10 for a long time and never saw the reason for all the hate. Sure there are some UI things I wish hadn't been changed.. but a lot of those things that were easier to get to in Windows 7 also led to a lot of problems that I had to fix because the users screwed them up. Now that some of those things are more hidden away, those "user who thinks they know what they are doing but really don't" problems don't usually pop up at all anymore.

Windows 10 as a whole is no worse than 7 though.. and in some things is better and in some things is worse (some of the UI mainly).

Maybe it is more the "Home" version that is not as good as Pro or Enterprise versions. I've never had the Home version on any of my personal systems though so I can't really speak to that.

I actually like how MS forces the Home version to install the updates because the problem of people not ever updating their XP, Vista, and Windows 7 machines led to a whole lot of vulnerabilities and thus a lot more virus and malware infections.

I've just been using Windows 10 for a long time and never saw the reason for all the hate. Sure there are some UI things I wish hadn't been changed.. but a lot of those things that were easier to get to in Windows 7 also led to a lot of problems that I had to fix because the users screwed them up. Now that some of those things are more hidden away, those "user who thinks they know what they are doing but really don't" problems don't usually pop up at all anymore.

The problem is the forced updates are doing little to stop Malware infections. Due to the unreliability of the updating process under Windows 10 the forced updates actually result in more problems than they resolve.

Which I don't really have a problem with as it makes me good money fixing the resulting issues.

^^ This.

/thread.

Couldn't put it any better. Since W10 was released my phone has been a lot quieter than I can ever recall it being! I would have to say that support calls have halved over previous operating systems. Most are not even for problems nowadays but to find where things have been relocated. I haven't experienced a lot of the issues others seem to experience. Luck? I might agree if just one machine, but none of the issues on many machines. All the machines barring my servers are running Home editions (not using domain controllers). I get more calls nowadays from those that have bought Macs because they heard they are "better" yet are having mote software issues than they did with their previous Windows machines.

This is 100% subjective. The ones with the issues are the loudest. Here is some anecdotal evidence it's perfect: I have never had windows 10 crash. Ever.

See how useless that is?

Windows isn't just a piece of software. It's software that does EVERYTHING. It takes you from a BIOS to everything you could want to do. Software runs inside it. It is the main hub.

This being the case, and there being so many different hardware configurations out there, there can be issues some users will run into. Sorry you are one of them.

I'll give Linux it's normal plug here, before someone else does.
The best advice.
If you don't like Windows 10, try Linux. You'll be ok with Windows 10 afterwards.

The best advice.
If you don't like Windows 10, try Linux. You'll be ok with Windows 10 afterwards.

I would have to agree with this. I enjoy using all operating systems and am messing around with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Beta but, it has its issues and now a new snap pack installer. If a person has no patience with Windows 10 and it idiosyncrasies, Linux would drive them absolutely mad. :D

I would have to agree with this. I enjoy using all operating systems and am messing around with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Beta but, it has its issues and now a new snap pack installer. If a person has no patience with Windows 10 and it idiosyncrasies, Linux would drive them absolutely mad. :D

It didn't drive me mad. Perhaps don't run beta software?

The best advice.

Wow! Generalization!

Nice.

What do you do after that? Switch to a mobile OS as you just can't stand Windows and all it's issues - Hence the popularity of Android globally being higher than Windows?

The best advice.
Great advice, wrong conclusion though. Once you try linux you'll absolutely hate WIndows unless you've lost your mind.

Great advice, wrong conclusion though. Once you try linux you'll absolutely hate WIndows unless you've lost your mind.
Oh, not at all. Source: 1.5 to 2 percent in
Linux marketshare. Windows is the best for a desktop. 20 years later and Linux still sucks for desktop use.

It's been decent on my work computer's though being enterprise they can modify a lot of things consumers have a harder time doing. My wife's laptop is better now that it has corrected its update's forcing downloads at boot up (also nerfed that through other software to make it work).
On my HTPC its a turd but that's not the entirely OS's fault.

My main PC im dragging my heels on because I still dont like a lot of the background crap and I have some older applications that work perfectly and have some issues in 10. I can fire up a VM but more hassle. I'll get there soon though.

My largest gripe is the multiple settings menus with mixed access to various levels and hiding beneficial options behind multiple layers to keep people from them who shouldn't mess with them. Big ol' hassle to have to go through that. Did it in December on my new 2 in 1, and once configured the experience has been solid even with windows update forcing itself upon me just not raping the machine so solid hardware and the OS working well but still hate the settings setup.

When the world calms down I'll pick up a new SSD and start fresh but depending on how long it goes I may just start fresh with a new build due to some motherboard issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back