Windows 10 only supported OS for Office 2019 / 365 ProPlus

You clearly do not really "use" office, because when you really "use" office, no, there is no comparison.

I spend the majority of my working days rescuing companies from the hole they've dug themselves into by using Office. So thank you but I know very well what it is :D

Maybe you should go back and read my posts again. I never said there are no alternatives to Office.

That sounds like a school problem to me. I learned a LOT of scripting, both in bash and powershell. I didn't go anywhere prestigious either, just a state university.

At this point I feel stupid for replying since I know you are trolling now. Squirrelmail's last stable release was in 2011.

Ok you said:

There are alternatives, but not a single one I would put my job on the line on for.

It was a school problem as far as learning how to script in Windows back then around 2009 or 2010 because I learned programming logic and problem solving, which is based on programming in Visual Basic and not .NET. Also, I spent more time learning how to program in Visual Basic than learning how to script in Windows for that class and the one time I needed to know how to script in Windows for Network Monitoring in 2012 I couldn't figure out how to create the script because I didn't learn anything helpful at that college on how to script for Windows. Oh and guess what they didn't have a Powershell class then, but I have the book though or a book on it and haven't had time to read it or learn it.

Maybe you should feel stupid for even posting your problem on HF to ask for help or advice with an IT problem for your job unless you just want to vent or talk about it and can't on Microsoft's Forum. I'm not trolling, but I never did use Squirrelmail much or any of those other Linux email manager programs except Postfix and dovecot beyond the Linux Network Administration Class i took aroundt 2011. I tried to switch my parents over to Thunderbird from Outlook, but my moms contacts wouldn't import because it said permission denied and I tried elevating to admin and changing the permissions on her exported contacts file. It wouldn't even import into Outlook on the new VM I created to give them a bigger virtual drive because they might be getting close to filling the original virtual drive. If you ask me Dovecot Server sounds like what you want and both Redhat and Ubuntu have it well documented in the documentation as well as a wiki or ask Ubuntu. I never got around to using exchange though to be honest, but I do know it is an email server program or entire operating system deticated to email services and managing. It might be easy to use, but it's all proprietary and a pain to support when the internet goes down in bad whether, which is something that might not happen much for a business like what you work for and only happens in areas outside major cities.

I didn't know Squirrelmail's last stable release was in 2011, but that's about when I learned it and haven't used it since because I just don't have time to mess with CentOS and find it difficult to navigate the printed paper wiki, since I haven't found the manual if it exist's. My point was that their are alternatives though and that there might be a right tool for the job, but not an all in one solution like exchange. As for LibreOffice why can't you use that and so what if it doesn't have Publisher or OneNote because it doesn't need it and it has alternatives for almost every other Microsoft Office program, even Visio with LibreDraw and Access with LibreBase. Nuance might have alternative to OneNote though, because they have an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader. LibreOffice was or had an alternative called OpenOffice, but I think Apache discontinued it and the OpenDocument Foundation's LibreOffice took it's place.

I don't know why, but exchange wasn't a class in the Microsoft based major when I went to the technical college I attended and graduated from in 2013, so ok I'm not much help in regards to a true exchange vs. Linux or opensource alternatives comparison and I don't think Lotus had and alternative either as a non-Opensource alternative if it's still sold and supported, because I haven't used a Lotus since SmartSuite'97. I don't even think Corel has an alternative to Microsoft Office. I don't think you would want use or put your job on the line for Corel WordPerfect Officex8 or Lotus SmartSuite and Lotus SmartSuite isn't support beyond Windows 2000 and XP anyway, so that tells me it's no longer being made.

Last edited:
Nuance might have alternative to OneNote though, because they have an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Acrobat is nothing at all similar to OneNote so that's an odd connection to make. I don't think Nuance has anything similar to OneNote, there's nothing quite like OneNote in the desktop Linux world. There a number of small side projects that pale in comparison to one and some Evernote clones.

Again, plenty of folks look into this subject. A free alternative to the Microsoft Office platform is obviously something many would love to have, including myself. But Office is a very powerful and feature rich set of tools, services and apps with countless millions of users. LibreOffice and other alternatives might very well work for a lot of people but not everyone one.

Ok you said:
Alttabbins said:
There are alternatives, but not a single one I would put my job on the line on for.

I like how you cut out the context of the post so it would fit your arguement. Here is the post. I highlighted the parts you conveniently cut out in red.

Alttabbins said:
B00nie said:
What exactly is irreplaceable in Exchange? I have never needed it and would not accept to have it.
There are alternatives, but not a single one I would put my job on the line on for. Exchange is the golden standard and there’s a very good reason a huge majority of companies use it.

Maybe you should feel stupid for even posting your problem on HF to ask for help or advice with an IT problem for your job

Again, when did I ever ask for help about a problem in this thread?

Last edited:
Hmm. One of the "selling points" Microsoft pushed for the subscription version of Office (365) was the user would get "free upgrades" to the next versions of Office...

So, um. Which is true?

Hmm. One of the "selling points" Microsoft pushed for the subscription version of Office (365) was the user would get "free upgrades" to the next versions of Office...

So, um. Which is true?

You get access to the latest version. When 2019 comes out, you can download it from your 365 account like you did with whatever version you are currently using with the subscription. You get access to all platforms too. I have Office 2016 installed on my work windows desktop, work windows laptop, and on an opensuse box that I use for wine testing.

Last edited:
Acrobat is nothing at all similar to OneNote so that's an odd connection to make. I don't think Nuance has anything similar to OneNote, there's nothing quite like OneNote in the desktop Linux world. There a number of small side projects that pale in comparison to one and some Evernote clones.

Again, plenty of folks look into this subject. A free alternative to the Microsoft Office platform is obviously something many would love to have, including myself. But Office is a very powerful and feature rich set of tools, services and apps with countless millions of users. LibreOffice and other alternatives might very well work for a lot of people but not everyone one.

Really Adobe Acrobat Pro lets you create and edit PDF's if nothing else and so does OneNote, so how is that an Odd connection to make regardless if Adobe Acrobat only does PDF and OneNote does more. Nuance has a PDF creator and editor that competes with Adobe Acrobat Pro, so how does that not compete with OneNote if if does was Acrobat Pro too compared to OneNote. My point was that there are or where alternatives, but Microsoft outcompeted them. The only noteable alternatives that came to Mind were former Lotus SmartSuite. Corel WordPerfect Office, and LibreOffice. LibreOffice is an alternative with a very attractive price and capabilities that although can't do what Microsoft Office can do. I think Microsoft Products try to do to much and are not always the right tool for the job. For example, the instructor I had for Information design wanted us to make a map of that building showing how to get to the faculty office, to Starbucks, and back to the classroom using Microsoft Word Only, so I made one and using shapes instead of drawling or using an architectural drawing program to make a map was a disaster.

Oh sure the map turned out ok and all they wanted was a vague ecstatically pleasing map, but I seriously frowned upon what they had in mind because it wasn't at all close to an architectural map and I'm not an architect or drafter and never did much mechanical drawling other than for Metal-shop in high-school. Also, what they had in mind for a map didn't seem like an easily understandable Map and seemed like something a kid would do, even if it is possible to create a map closer to an architectural map too because they couldn't or wouldn't explain how and I have never used MSWord to do such a thing or think anyone would intend or teach how to do something, so beyond creating a word document with a word processor. To be fair with me consider I learned Microsoft Office thoroughly with MSOffice2007 though and not 2013 or 365 with all their changes. As I said though Linux has different software principles and LiibreOffice is probably following them so LibreWriter if not the rest of the suite is probably designed to do one thing well and not create maps regardless of if can and I just needed to figure out how. Also, to be fair trying to draw a map in gimp without a drawing pad or touchscreen was a pain too though, but as I said they wanted us to use Microsoft Word Only.

Last edited:

So, um. Which is true?

Hmm, I get free upgrades to LibreOffice with the following or similar command that uses repositories as long as I have internet connection, so this means nothing to me:

sudo apt-get -y upgrade LibreOffice

You get access to the latest version. When 2019 comes out, you can download it from your 365 account like you did with whatever version you are currently using with the subscription. You get access to all platforms too. I have Office 2016 installed on my work windows desktop, work windows laptop, and on an opensuse box that I use for wine testing.

That is the downside to MSOffice after 2010 is the need to have a Microsoft Account and a subscription right there as one of my primary complaints or problems with it.

Really Adobe Acrobat Pro lets you create and edit PDF's if nothing else and so does OneNote, so how is that an Odd connection to make regardless if Adobe Acrobat only does PDF and OneNote does more. Nuance has a PDF creator and editor that competes with Adobe Acrobat Pro, so how does that not compete with OneNote if if does was Acrobat Pro too compared to OneNote.

PDF editors and word processors are document editors primarily designed to create structured documents suitable for printing. OneNote is a digital notebook primarily designed to capture and retrieve arbitrary and unstructured information that may be unsuitable for printing given its freeform input canvas. Sure, out can output OneNote content to a PDF or even ink on PDF document but points of these apps are almost antithetical.

That is the downside to MSOffice after 2010 is the need to have a Microsoft Account and a subscription right there as one of my primary complaints or problems with it.

I just leave this right here:

bH4BXMG.gif

I just leave this right here:

What? Don't you think it's a downside because it wasn't like this before if you wanted an Office program and LibreOffice is nothing like that. As for Core WordPerfect Office or the former Lotus SmartSuite if you want or wanted them you went to the store and bought them or ordered them online and they came in a box through the mail system not this crap of you order it, but to use it you have to have a subscription and a user account and if you don't you can't use it bs inaddition to having to enter a product to key to valid a genuine copy, like you get with MSOffice now and I know you can still go to the store to buy it. However, you have to do all those things to be able to use it. Oh and the worst thing is that if you forget your password or fat finger it aka make a typo you have to wait 30 days for the password reset to take affect and mean while you can't use your microsoft account or do anything that requires it.

Last edited:
Oh and the worst thing is that if you forget your password or fat finger it aka make a typo you have to wait 30 days for the password reset to take affect and mean while you can't use your microsoft account or do anything that requires it.

If you lose your password or get locked out of a Microsoft account, then you'd reset it using standard password recovery processes like any other online service. Of course if you don't setup password recovery steps properly when creating and account it can be a pain to recover, like any other online service as it should be for security purposes. I have no idea where you're getting a 30 day wait period.

Also with a perpetually licensed copy of Office you don't have to sign into a Microsoft Account. However you don't get access to the online services that are integrated into Office.

My point was this: Microsoft promised free upgrade to the Newest Office, if you bought the subscription. But, If you have anything OTHER THAN 10, you CANNOT get the upgrade... So, again, Microsoft breaks another promise.

Really? This matters? How many times can MS reinvent Word, or other Office titles?

My point was this: Microsoft promised free upgrade to the Newest Office, if you bought the subscription. But, If you have anything OTHER THAN 10, you CANNOT get the upgrade... So, again, Microsoft breaks another promise.

When has Microsoft ever promised that its latest client software would be backwards compatible with out of date versions of any of the OSes it develops client software for? Both Windows 7 and 8.1 are past their mainstream support lifespans and Windows 7 will be only a little over year away from the end of extended support when Office 2019 rolls out to production. Regardless of how one feels about Windows 10, Windows 7 is simply old now. I do think that Office 2019 not supporting Windows 8.1 is less reasonable from Microsoft's standpoint but that probably has a lot to do with 8.1's market share, especially as 8.x failed to make it much into the enterprise.

If you lose your password or get locked out of a Microsoft account, then you'd reset it using standard password recovery processes like any other online service. Of course if you don't setup password recovery steps properly when creating and account it can be a pain to recover, like any other online service as it should be for security purposes. I have no idea where you're getting a 30 day wait period.

Also with a perpetually licensed copy of Office you don't have to sign into a Microsoft Account. However you don't get access to the online services that are integrated into Office.

I got the 30 day period because I had all those password recovery features setup, I called them and ask for help, and I still had to wait 30 days just to cancel xbox live or access my account again with it because I couldn't afford it anymore and I never used it either, even though I thought I would, so I got it because it supported PC Windows Games that either used or needed it.

It is for this reason that I will not merge tye or whatever my Windows 10 user account with Microsoft Windows 10 or in the future if I can prevent it because that is uncalled for especially considering I wasn't or trying not to do anything unethical that I could think of at the time and I have years and years of Microsoft Operating Systems, Games, third party games if not second party, and Microsoft Software as well as third software if not second party.

Last edited:
I got the 30 day period because I had all those password recovery features setup, I called them and ask for help, and I still had to wait 30 days just to cancel xbox live or access my account again with it because I couldn't afford it anymore and I never used it either, even though I thought I would, so I got it because it supported PC Windows Games that either used or needed it.

Ok. I have had to reset Microsoft accounts in the past tied to O365 and there is no 30 day lock out from using it after a password reset. I have no idea why you would have had to call Microsoft to cancel anything if you were able to go through automated password rest procedures.

Thank you. The misinformation in this thread is astounding.

I don't think this will be the case with purchases of Office 2019 once it's released, Microsoft wants everything tied to a MS account. I guess we'll wait and see.

I don't think this will be the case with purchases of Office 2019 once it's released, Microsoft wants everything tied to a MS account. I guess we'll wait and see.

Here's the thing. When it comes to competition to Office, particularly in the consumer space, is it LibreOffice or Google Docs? When you look at the main competitors to Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook? None of them has businesses based almost exclusively on directly selling packaged desktop software.

Microsoft has made plenty of mistakes but the business model that got them started is now obsolete for the most part. Standalone desktop software that doesn't connect to any services?

I miss Word Perfect.

Connections to services is fine. Spyware for continued revenue stream? Should be opt in, not cannot opt out.

All of the Microsoft reps which went to/sent info to Retail Stores touted the fact (since Office 2013, the first Live Account required - email + password tracker) Office 365 gets the updates to the newest office for free. They did NOT give the caveat you HAD TO BE ON 10. (Basically since some of the product came out on 8/8.1.) When 2016 Office came out: Same thing, even though the push to 10 only was starting... So, IMHO, this was done to keep up sales, instead of being truthful to the customer. 8.1 is still under support to 2023 - and going back to what Microsoft had stated, it is supposed to be supported for New CPU, and New Microsoft Software Product. They did not live up to their OWN statements on the topic.

Mistakes? No. This is intentional. Because the Continuous Revenue Stream is more important than the needs of the Customer. When this happens, customers start to feel secondary, and then start looking for other options.

They did NOT give the caveat you HAD TO BE ON 10. (Basically since some of the product came out on 8/8.1.)

Just not sure exactly what you're driving at. Microsoft has long dropped support for older OSes with the latest versions of Office. 2013 dropped XP and Vista. Office 2010 didn't support XP 64 bit. Windows 7 goes out of extended support while Office 2019 is mainstream, so while other timelines for might not have been reasonable, it kind of doesn't make sense that Microsoft would support the latest version of Office on an OS that it's planning on dropping all support for. I can understand having issues with them dropping Windows 8.1 support which still has 5 years of extended support, they're figuring that 8.1's relatively low market share makes that easier to get away with.

Support for Windows 7 and 8.1 is only going to degrade, again nothing new. While some of the timelines might not seem reasonable in the case of Windows 7 it's just getting to the point that 7's just gotten old and 8.1 just doesn't have the market share.

That's a Microsoft problem, not a customer problem. Who's side are you on, anyway?

Sure it's a Microsoft problem. Because customers in the consumer market don't buy OS upgrades or expensive standalone packaged software. They buy devices, apps from app stores and services.

The biggest pain is going to be that C2R is the only supported deployment method. The way they centrally manage updates for it is stupid. Not allowing Enterprise users to stick with the MSI installer is a bad move.

The attachment issue is an easy fix in the exchange transport hub..
Not so easy when a percentage of persons of an organization of 10 000 people (or more in my case) is sending you the attachments and the exchange is governed by a separate IT department...

Back