Windows 10 only supported OS for Office 2019 / 365 ProPlus

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Welp Microsoft has dropped a new article on their site dated today:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Main point is the dropping of Windows 7/8.x support! This will certainly light some fires. I thought they were going to drop The 7/8.x support for Office 2016, so this was pretty much (and sadly) inevitable.

Some of the important info:

Updates on the Office 365 ProPlus system requirements
Office 365 ProPlus delivers cloud-connected and always up-to-date versions of the Office desktop apps. To ensure that customers get the most secure and efficiently managed experience from ProPlus and Windows 10 together, we are providing updates on the Windows system requirements for Office 365 ProPlus.

• To clarify our current support practices for ProPlus running on Windows 10, ProPlus will not be supported on Windows 10 Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) versions that are no longer being serviced.
  • Effective January 14, 2020, ProPlus will no longer be supported on the following versions of Windows. This will ensure that both Office and Windows receive regular, coordinated updates to provide the most secure environment with the latest capabilities.
    • Any Windows 10 LTSC release
    • Windows Server 2016 and older
    • Windows 8.1 and older
We recognize that some of our customers deliver Office to their users via Remote Desktop and VDI. Later this year, Microsoft will deliver new Remote Desktop and desktop virtualization capabilities within the SAC release cadence of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows Server. Join the Windows Server Insider program to get early access to these capabilities.

To learn more about these updates, visit the support page. And to ask the experts, visit the Office Apps Tech Community page.

New details on the next perpetual release of Office and LTSC release of Windows 10
We recognize that some customers aren’t ready to move to the cloud and will instead choose to deploy on-premises or hybrid architectures. For those customers, we’re announcing new details on the next perpetual release of Office and LTSC release of Windows 10.

Office 2019
Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
  • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
    • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
    • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
    • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
  • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

I assume that if you use O365 with Win 7, it will just not update to Office 2019 and continue using 2016?

Not allowing use on Server 2016 is an odd choice. I guess they are really pushing the Server Core 1709 thing.

I assume that if you use O365 with Win 7, it will just not update to Office 2019 and continue using 2016?

Not allowing use on Server 2016 is an odd choice. I guess they are really pushing the Server Core 1709 thing.
I'd suspect that just means they will release an R2 by that point.

Hilarious. Trying to limit Office to Windows 10 only is just shooting themselves in the foot, just like limiting the "app store", Edge and Cortana to Windows 10 and then wondering why nobody cares. It's still barely 40% of Windows PC's -- Office has never launched to such a big disadvantage.

It's been 2 years, 7 months since they rebooted and renamed the failed Windows 8 effort as Windows 10, which itself was a failed strongarm maneuver begun in 2012 that attempted to shove desktop users into a tiled, mobile-centric shitshow computing paradigm. 6 years of strongarm tactics and consumers and businesses just continue to ignore identity crisis "features" like the app store, cortana, edge, etc. And their solution is to double down yet again. GFL.

Expect to read about Office division layoffs by the end of the year.

It's interesting that Office 2019 won't be a packaged software anymore. It's a little concerning because that tends to lead to obligatory MS Accounts to even install the thing. If they can do a stub installer that just pulls the latest version from the internets without an MS account that will actually be kinda awesome since Office 2016 never got any kind of service pack and is still the original 2015 release ISO with updates for every component which is up to like 60+ updates now, JUST for Office 2016.

Did anyone expect anything else? Microsoft wants people on Windows 10.

At this point whatever people think of Windows 10, Windows 7 is getting VERY long in the tooth. By the time Office 2019 RTMs, Windows 7 will be nine years old and just a little over a year away from the end of extended support so it's hard to see this a surprising given timelines that have been out there for years.

People should just get over Office already. Free alternatives, sufficient ones, have existed for years. And for some crazy reason busineses still continue to pay thousands for something they really don't even need.

Office 2016 is a fine product. Stay on it if you want to use Windows 7.
And no problems here. For average home users (not only) it's really not a big deal; I mean, who cares what color office skin (oops, sorry, version) we have... hell, I even have Office 2003 with compability pack installed on one of my older pc's (back on the old days when it was time for upgrade to next version I didn't like the look of 2007 office and since then I just leaved it as is) and sometimes I'm still doing some docs on it and I don't feel less capable with all the formating and printing than I would do with any newer Office's.

I'm still using Office 2010 that I bought for a good deal, but I also have Office 2003 which is still the one I prefer to use. At work, we have 2016, and I really don't see that much difference between 2010. I think the only advantage with the newer version would be if you use Excel and have large spreadsheets, the updated version probably allows more rows/columns, but for most folks, Office 2003 is just fine.

What exactly is irreplaceable in Exchange? I have never needed it and would not accept to have it.

There are alternatives, but not a single one I would put my job on the line on for. Exchange is the golden standard and there’s a very good reason a huge majority of companies use it.

There are things that are irreplaceable too. A lot of companies have locations outside of the US. You need to meet compliance based on those locations. We have offices in the US, England, Australia, Germany, and China. Each one has its own standard for security compliance and Exhange meets every single one. Exhange offers hybrid functionality. Exhange has features built in for litigation holds. Even convenience things like email discovery and single login. All of this works flawlessly together with Active Directory and other enterprise tools like Sharepoint.

Last edited:
I keep getting mixed answers on this: is there going to be a stand-alone version of Office 2019 that is a flat single fee? I don't need another software with a monthly/yearly fee and I like being able to use the .edu discount.

I keep getting mixed answers on this: is there going to be a stand-alone version of Office 2019 that is a flat single fee? I don't need another software with a monthly/yearly fee and I like being able to use the .edu discount.

I'm sure they will have both like with 2013 and 2016.

From the linked blog:

New details on the next perpetual release of Office and LTSC release of Windows 10

We recognize that some customers aren’t ready to move to the cloud and will instead choose to deploy on-premises or hybrid architectures. For those customers, we’re announcing new details on the next perpetual release of Office and LTSC release of Windows 10.

Office 2019
Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
  • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
    • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
    • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
    • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
  • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

From the linked blog:
That's just saying you have to download it a specific way though, you can't download the entire 2.8 GB file and install it on every computer in the company. Unless I'm missing something, it says nothing about necessitating an O365 license.

I have the same question though. I'd rather pay my $300 up front vs $100 a year. Microsoft has yet to prove the value add to me as a "regular" dude.

That's just saying you have to download it a specific way though, you can't download the entire 2.8 GB file and install it on every computer in the company. Unless I'm missing something, it says nothing about necessitating an O365 license.

I have the same question though. I'd rather pay my $300 up front vs $100 a year. Microsoft has yet to prove the value add to me as a "regular" dude.

The keyword here is "perpetual" release, that's the standard perpetually licensed copy. It won't be offered via a installer, that's something that Microsoft does with Visual Studio now, online installer, but you can roll your on offline installer for multiple installs, that's current an option at least with Office 2016.

There are alternatives, but not a single one I would put my job on the line on for. Exchange is the golden standard and there’s a very good reason a huge majority of companies use it.

There are things that are irreplaceable too. A lot of companies have locations outside of the US. You need to meet compliance based on those locations. We have offices in the US, England, Australia, Germany, and China. Each one has its own standard for security compliance and Exhange meets every single one. Exhange offers hybrid functionality. Exhange has features built in for litigation holds. Even convenience things like email discovery and single login. All of this works flawlessly together with Active Directory and other enterprise tools like Sharepoint.

Heh, if you rely on sharepoint and office tools you're doing it wrong. Basically you've enslaved your company to Microsoft and reap all the related problems with it. One of the companies I own as a minority share holder made the ungodly decision to switch to Office365 and it has been nothing but trouble after that. I've had multiple down times on that e-mail account without any visible reason. Nobody changed configurations or did anything but use the e-mail and suddenly shit just breaks without warning. I'd add 'lol' but it's not funny. In fact I hate it. No software ever has caused me so much unwarranted trouble and grief than Office365 and it's e-mail, well with the exception of Windows itself.

On my linux based e-mails I haven't had a single glitch or down time in the past 17 years. Not one. With the O365 first two weeks after the switch the e-mail was offline before the (Microsoft certified) seller managed to fix it, then it has been down randomly several times after it. There's no explanation for the breakages from our side, no configuration changes have been made.

Oh, and to add insult to injury the O365 spams my e-mail account with these idiotic message summary reports. I guess I have to spend yet again time to go to disable that shit.

Last edited:
Sounds like something else might be the issue. We are going on our 3rd year with office 365 and have had practically 0 issues with no recorded downtime due to anything on Microsoft’s side.

This spans 7 major offices across the globe and hundreds of employees at our location alone. You say we are locked into Sharepoint like it’s a bad thing. We use Sharepoint and it works very well to link our offices in terms of operational efficiency. You say that us using Office and Sharepoint is “doing it wrong”, but the company I work for and the vast majority of enterprise businesses that use it politely disagree.

Every workplace is different. Some things work for some place and other things work for others. That’s awesome that you are a Linux office, I wish we would use it more. I use it every day with our databases. For our end users, we are a Microsoft house. We have been for way longer than I’ve been here and I doubt anything will change while I’m employed here. Microsoft products have worked a very long time for us.

Last edited:
Heh, if you rely on sharepoint and office tools you're doing it wrong.
Care to enlighten us on how to do it right? What are the alternatives that provide the same or better level of functionality and integration?

Care to enlighten us on how to do it right? What are the alternatives that provide the same or better level of functionality and integration?

You'll hear about it in due time, unless MS offers a large amount of money to kill the competition again.

Sounds like something else might be the issue. We are going on our 3rd year with office 365 and have had practically 0 issues with no recorded downtime due to anything on Microsoft’s side.

This spans 7 major offices across the globe and hundreds of employees at our location alone. You say we are locked into Sharepoint like it’s a bad thing. We use Sharepoint and it works very well to link our offices in terms of operational efficiency. You say that us using Office and Sharepoint is “doing it wrong”, but the company I work for and the vast majority of enterprise businesses that use it politely disagree.

Every workplace is different. Some things work for some place and other things work for others. That’s awesome that you are a Linux office, I wish we would use it more. I use it every day with our databases. For our end users, we are a Microsoft house. We have been for way longer than I’ve been here and I doubt anything will change while I’m employed here. Microsoft products have worked a very long time for us.

You would be the first person I've met who aren't complaining about Sharepoint and/or O365. If we met that is. Sharepoint is like Excel, it makes home brew solutions deceptively easy and then you're trapped.

Get rid of that Microsoft Offfce crap just use Libreoffice instead it can be free if you just let the download start or you can donate a minimum of $5 or it's definitely free if you're using Linux and repositories.

AltTabbins said:
Maybe because there are no real alternatives to exhange.
uhem yes there is it's called LibreOffice.

bH4BXMG.gif

Yea um what where you trying to say in response in your defense of using Microsoft. Yes it doesn't do what exchange does or at I don't know how to make it do that and apparently you don't either or else you wouldn't cling to Microsoft's products as well as all the problems that go along with using Microsoft. However, I don't need exchange or any of the other things mentioned in defense of Microsoft products and get along fine without it. If you can't do it without Microsoft Office apparently you're probably not using the correct program for the job either. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you need Microsoft Office or Exchange in the first place and why you can't do without it.

Get rid of that Microsoft Offfce crap just use Libreoffice instead it can be free if you just let the download start or you can donate a minimum of $5 or it's definitely free if you're using Linux and repositories.

LibreOffice is definately free for Windows and OS X as well. I have it installed side by side with Office 2016 on a couple of my machines.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you need Microsoft Office or Exchange in the first place and why you can't do without it.

People ask this probably a lot more than you realize. Do can't possibly understand everything countless millions do with something as complex as Office. I compare LibreOffice and Microsoft Office constantly and there's just a lot of gaps and differences for the things I do.

Yea um what where you trying to say in response in your defense of using Microsoft. Yes it doesn't do what exchange does or at I don't know how to make it do that and apparently you don't either or else you wouldn't cling to Microsoft's products as well as all the problems that go along with using Microsoft. However, I don't need exchange or any of the other things mentioned in defense of Microsoft products and get along fine without it. If you can't do it without Microsoft Office apparently you're probably not using the correct program for the job either. Perhaps you should ask yourself why you need Microsoft Office or Exchange in the first place and why you can't do without it.

I'm not sure you know what Exchange is. Even if you are just mistaking Exchange and Outlook, you are still a bit off since Libre Office doesn't even come with email software.

Why can't my workplace do without it? A huge reason is Libre Office lacks support. Support falls on community, and your post trying to say that Libre Office is a good alternative for Exchange is an excellent example of why that just doesn't work.

You'll hear about it in due time, unless MS offers a large amount of money to kill the competition again.
LOL!!!! There's a "better" product out there that hasn't even been announced, you can't tell us what it is or who makes it, or when it will be available. So what about people who need a solution now? I don't suppose you have any suggestions?

My school district now usea gmail
I still use outlook 2016 as email client. Office 2016 is a fine product. Do not know if we are going to sign contract for 2019 though.

How will they support RDP terminal services.....

Heh, if you rely on sharepoint and office tools you're doing it wrong. Basically you've enslaved your company to Microsoft and reap all the related problems with it. One of the companies I own as a minority share holder made the ungodly decision to switch to Office365 and it has been nothing but trouble after that. I've had multiple down times on that e-mail account without any visible reason. Nobody changed configurations or did anything but use the e-mail and suddenly shit just breaks without warning. I'd add 'lol' but it's not funny. In fact I hate it. No software ever has caused me so much unwarranted trouble and grief than Office365 and it's e-mail, well with the exception of Windows itself.

On my linux based e-mails I haven't had a single glitch or down time in the past 17 years. Not one. With the O365 first two weeks after the switch the e-mail was offline before the (Microsoft certified) seller managed to fix it, then it has been down randomly several times after it. There's no explanation for the breakages from our side, no configuration changes have been made.

Oh, and to add insult to injury the O365 spams my e-mail account with these idiotic message summary reports. I guess I have to spend yet again time to go to disable that shit.

all our clients pretty much use O365, there have been 0 outages from Exchange online that i know that affected over...about 3k users across all the clients, so something else is wrong with your set up, machines, or installs.

I'm not sure you know what Exchange is. Even if you are just mistaking Exchange and Outlook, you are still a bit off since Libre Office doesn't even come with email software.

Why can't my workplace do without it? A huge reason is Libre Office lacks support. Support falls on community, and your post trying to say that Libre Office is a good alternative for Exchange is an excellent example of why that just doesn't work.

I have Exchange and never used it because I don't care to make an email server using a Microsoft Product. I had to use Dban to format my server to get Windows Server 2016 off of it, even though Server 2016 was easy to use it was annoying and made my server run at full load by default without intervention. Also, I refuse to use a Server Operating System that all Documentation is on their site or in a forum or book and I have the read a book to learn how to use, which I think it's terrible and I think Windows Server 2016 is a terrible server operating system. Windows Server 2016 is better than 2012, but not the distribution of Linux or maybe Linux In general if at all. Linux has server email capabilities built in and other email programs to choose from and I don't care what fancy things exchange server does that you prefer I prefer to not use it and I was just pointing out that there are alternatives as well as possibly suggesting not to use Microsoft if you can use Linux instead. You said there was no alternative to Microsoft office not just exchange and Linux has different software principles, so don't expect LibreOffice to do email when you should be looking to squirrel mail or something else that might do the job. There are at least four documented email managers for Ubuntu Server, such as Postfix, Exim4, Dovecot, and mailman. Then there are Postfix and Dovecot for Redhat Distros as well as Squirrel mail utility. There is Thunderbird, but I think that is just an Alternative to Outlook and not Exchange. It's been awhile, since I've setup Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail on CentOS though. Also, I don't use Email Services or Utilities on my server, which is using Ubuntu Server. If there is a Linux solution then remember it is the right tool for the job compared to an all in one solution like exchange.

Boonie's right you probably enslaved your whole company by using Microsoft. When I learned how to use Microsoft correctly in College I felt like an idiot because it was all point and click, since they didn't really teach us how to script for Microsoft and we hardly learned any really useful commands instead of just the basics.

Last edited:
You said there was no alternative to Microsoft office not just exchange

Maybe you should go back and read my posts again. I never said there are no alternatives to Office.

in College I felt like an idiot because it was all point and click, since they didn't really teach us how to script for Microsoft and we hardly learned any really useful commands instead of just the basics.

That sounds like a school problem to me. I learned a LOT of scripting, both in bash and powershell. I didn't go anywhere prestigious either, just a state university.

so don't expect LibreOffice to do email when you should be looking to squirrel mail

At this point I feel stupid for replying since I know you are trolling now. Squirrelmail's last stable release was in 2011.

LOL!!!! There's a "better" product out there that hasn't even been announced, you can't tell us what it is or who makes it, or when it will be available. So what about people who need a solution now? I don't suppose you have any suggestions?

The comments I make here anonymously are not representing the company and I want no association with it so I cannot reveal any names, sorry.

Back