Windows 10 now losing marketshare, Windows 7 gaining

for me there are like 5 folders i open all the time and some projects i may need to open a folder many times for a day or two....like when i do taxes or some photography thing so havign a simple one click direct link is nice. You no longer can do that.

I have gotten used to just typing in start button for everything since Win 10 and Win 7 control panel is a gaggle fuck.

The turning areo off is obnoxious without a doubt. Win XXXXX version alwyas has some stupid notification you can never forever tell to simple fuck off. Turn off aera or go to 16bit color notification 2000/xp/7 was always annoying.

The remedy for this in Windows 7 is easy.
Make a shortcut to the game/program, edit its properties and turn off desktop composition.
This way Aero disables itself for that program and never requests again.
And you get back 100 to 200MB of display memory.

Show me how i can save several folders to task bar? (as seperate icons...oh wait...MS totally removed that for no FUKING REASON!)...Win7 and future versions lost many features like this.
This has been known almost since Windows 7s release and is really easy to do.

Use Quicklaunch, its awesome.
I use it on every machine I set up.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

i said separate icons....reread my post. I don't want to right click, wait for pop up, move mouse to 1 of 10 narrow icons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zejddmxt0ndffg/win 10 folders.png?dl=0

you can no longer do this

doing that pinned to explorer crap takes far too long and adds unneeded time to do something that was never a problem before

there was no reason to move this feature. It was very useful for folders accessed many many many times a day

See above
A little research goes a long way.

Last edited:
There are probably 3000 customizeable "dock" apps and there've been custom shell apps since the Windows 98 era. Either learn what's out there and how to make better use of the OS (and yes, sorry, sometimes that includes installing third party software) or stick with what you know and stop whining.

The underpinnings of Windows 10 are better, definitively. Set things up how you like, but don't regress in search of comfort.

The remedy for this in Windows 7 is easy.
Make a shortcut to the game/program, edit its properties and turn off desktop composition.
This way Aero disables itself for that program and never requests again.
And you get back 100 to 200MB of display memory.

This has been known almost since Windows 7s release and is really easy to do.

Use Quicklaunch, its awesome.
I use it on every machine I set up.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

See above
A little research goes a long way.
again i should not have to do round about activities that were never required. You should still be able to do everything from 2000/XP in 7-10

removing basic features shouldn't happen and requiring you to go about things in a more complex matter just because FYTW is not acceptable. The folder thing is just one of many silly things MS has done. The toobar is a neat feature but removing the other was pointless. Same with removing sorting options in control panel. Control panel has list and tile. no detailed sorting method anymore. Like i said there are numerous ass backwards things in 7-10 that was not in 2000/XP

I haven't even stratched the surface of silly things MS fucked up and never fixed. Like removing 2000/XP filltered search GUI and requiring retarded command based searches.

additionally, I have never understood since XP why bluetooth has different features and different layouts depending on the computer. That has been an issue since XP and Win 7 IIRC.

EDIT: research what? Am I magically supposed to know of a new feature? I never heard of the toolbar thing or seen it. If i heard about it i would have used it. I think many people never even knew about that feature. I have posted many times about this and never once until now someone showed that was added. I only know what i know. If something like that was added i only know about it if i see it on accident or someone shows me. Now i know and i plan on using it for sure but still no reason for features in the past to be removed.

EDIT: I can't find my word file where i was compiling a massive list of things 2000/XP had that Win7 and on no longer had but i was getting fairly large for something i pulled out of my memory with no XP machine near by and not using for over 5 years.

Last edited:

"I don't like change and am unwilling to improve my hardware to match modern software. I also don't understand how the capabilities related to a standard vary over the life of that standard. "

Did you honestly expect they'd maintain the same search syntax from 15 years ago?

"I don't like change and am unwilling to improve my hardware to match modern software. I also don't understand how the capabilities related to a standard vary over the life of that standard. "

Did you honestly expect they'd maintain the same search syntax from 15 years ago?
search within win 7 is terrible. I have posted examples where i will search for a file in a folder and magically it can't find it due to how windows works with folders and directions in 7 is really broken. dropbox folder is inherently glitchy in win 7

There was no reason to get ride of the GUI. it was wonderful to have so many search filters to find a poor little lost file.

keep up the straw mans though silent. It shows how smart you really are /sarc

nearly every post you post has a straw man in it.

In about a week there will another data point to compare OS market share. I usually mention that there are problems with Net Market Share data, especially month to month trends, because they seem to correct weightings on a regular basis. That means data this month may not be directly comparable to previous months, but newer OS share estimates should be more accurate when adjustments are made.

It's not a big surprise that Win10 growth is stagnant. It grew largely because of the consumer segment, and mostly from free upgrades. Corporate/enterprise is a lot harder to make gains because of many problems including licensing fees, internal application compatibility testing and user retraining. There seems to be Windows 8.x-level non-adoption of Windows 10 in those environments, so there's probably no rush to move to 10 while 7 is still in extended support. Hopefully this resistance will make MS rethink several awful decisions it has made in 10, but I'm not holding my breath.

Basically all new Windows tablets/laptops/desktops have Windows 10 installed, so I'd expect to see a modest tick upwards for Windows 10 OS share in December and January.

I think the consumer space for Windows 10 upgrades probably got saturated in the one year free period. If Microsoft addressed the more controversial decisions in Windows 10 like the "spyware", forced updates, etc. I doubt that would move the needle much at this point in the consumer space. Business adoption will be the primary growth factor for Windows 10 going forward and it'll be another 12 to 18 months before that kicks into full swing. So I'd expect Windows 10's growth to be pretty flat for the next year.

One possibility that I've long thought might happen, Microsoft could reintroduce free Windows 10 upgrades, hopefully in a much less aggressive manner than previously. I think that it'd be more likely to happen about a year out from the EOL of Windows 7.

Windows search is as broken as can be. It's amazing how bad it is. Linux/OSX does search a thousand fold better and faster. With Windows you need to install a third party tool like everything app to find basically anything at any reasonable speed.

Windows search is as broken as can be. It's amazing how bad it is. Linux/OSX does search a thousand fold better and faster. With Windows you need to install a third party tool like everything app to find basically anything at any reasonable speed.

I would agree that Windows Search can be iffy and even confusing. Windows 10 with Cortana blurs the lines in a confusing way between local and web searching. It seems to have been somewhat improved since RTM though. I find that search in File Explorer for local files in indexed locations works fine. With Cortana local files are harder to find and there's no way within Cortana switch over to File Explorer search.

If I'm looking for local content I just File Explorer and that always seems to work with indexed locations.

Yep. Everything is a great tool. http://voidtools.com/downloads

Best of all, doesn't give you "shopping results" like Cortana when all you want is to find some local files.

Last edited:
how does filtering work? is it simple and powerful like XP or some weird command line tpye thing? their site doesn't give much details at first look
No it has a very simple interface. One search bar and a results box. Punch in one word or part of a filename you can't for the life of you remember where its location is and it will pop up in 1-5 seconds whereas windows search takes five minutes and maybe find it.

No it has a very simple interface. One search bar and a results box. Punch in one word or part of a filename you can't for the life of you remember where its location is and it will pop up in 1-5 seconds whereas windows search takes five minutes and maybe find it.
yea i dont always remember file names. I may remember part of it but also the general file size, various sections of drive where it could be and maybe the type of extension. So filters are great for trying to hunt down an old file i dont remember where it was but remember some general idea about the file. So this isn't really helpful for me :/ Oh well.

yea i dont always remember file names. I may remember part of it but also the general file size, various sections of drive where it could be and maybe the type of extension. So filters are great for trying to hunt down an old file i dont remember where it was but remember some general idea about the file. So this isn't really helpful for me :/ Oh well.
I've only used it like this, there may be a function like that you desire but I have not explored it :) You might also try UltraSearch which generally has a better interface and is also freeware.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Careful, it doesnt come with Windows so it might add rage.
And woe be to us if research is needed [hides behind brackets].

I am not surprised the latest update to 10 really fucked up i swear this shit is getting offensive. I think microsoft if it wants to move this way should be paying us to use windows... i hope someone comes down hard on them and maybe bill gates comes back and kicks some ass... They need a major house cleaning there starting with the new ceo...

Another month, not much surprise in Win 7/8.x/10 proportions: https://www.netmarketshare.com/oper...11&qpcustomb=0&qpsp=203&qpnp=12&qptimeframe=M

Over the past 12 months (December 2015-November 2016)...

Windows XP dropped* from 10.93% to 8.63% (-2.3%)
Windows 7 dropped from 55.68% to 47.17% (-8.5%)
Windows 8.1 dropped from 10.30% to 8.01% (-2.3%)
Windows 10 grew from 9.96% to 23.72% (+13.8%**)

XP still holds a small lead over 8.1. lawl

* The PC market is probably a little bigger overall 12 months later so this is just share and not a unit comparison between the endpoints.

** 11.2% of that 13.8% increase came during the free upgrade period. +2.6% from the beginning of August to present is a bit lower than half the rate of the first 8 months of the comparison period. Arguably the data lags by a couple of weeks so a good portion of the +1.8% bump in August 2016 is likely due to the free upgrade period too. IOW, Windows 10 adoption after the free upgrade period has nearly flatlined.

** 11.2% of that 13.8% increase came during the free upgrade period. +2.6% from the beginning of August to present is a bit lower than half the rate of the first 8 months of the comparison period. Arguably the data lags by a couple of weeks so a good portion of the +1.8% bump in August 2016 is likely due to the free upgrade period too. IOW, Windows 10 adoption after the free upgrade period has nearly flatlined.

10 adoption isn't nearly flatlined - it's flatlined. And when you extrapolate combined 7 & 8.1 share against 10 share forward a decade, 10 still won't have displaced 7. Those lines will never meet.

10 uptake will continue to sputter, with the only new users joining the pool being captive ones buying a new PC where they have no other choice but 10.

MS will have to do something drastic to move the needle - either resort to more deception and dirty tricks with forced installs, or build a proper successor to 7 that returns to sanity by restoring user trust, respecting user choice, and either eliminating or making legitimately optional the forced crapware, ads and telemetry. The app store is DOA, and UWP is DOA, because Wmobile is dead. The attempt at a shortcut to mobile relevance failed and it's time to stop annoying desktop users.

And if they think users and enterprise will all of a sudden migrate from 7 to 10 simply as a byproduct of mainstream support ending in 2020, they're dreaming. XP was only the warmup lap compared to how long 7 will otherwise stay around.

Last edited:
And if they think users and enterprise will all of a sudden migrate from 7 to 10 simply as a byproduct of mainstream support ending in 2020, they're dreaming. XP was only the warmup lap compared to how long 7 will otherwise stay around.

Enterprises certainly will migrate. There's simply too much risk for them running an old OS that isn't getting support. I'm sure 7 will hang around like XP has for many years to come but eventually like XP, 7 will simply become too old to be considered viable for many.

It's a steaming pile of not so bad. Unfortunately it seems that the release preview was the best version of Windows 10 that's ever going to be released.

Which release preview? I've been running them since Windows Insider started two years ago. Those early builds were in no way shape or form particularly good or stable. The first RTM build, 10240, I found to be kind of iffy. While there's certainly been issues with the updates for some, my personal experience has been very good at this point going on 16 months out from the initial release of 10. I've got a lot of different devices that are having very few problems, day to day it's at least as every bit as good as 7 was at the same point in time. A bit more difficult to judge it apples to apples as the hardware I've got in 2016 is considerably better than 2010-11 and the software mix is different with the use of Store apps. As much as many will criticize them there's some good stuff there. The video apps are very nice, been streaming football and basketball constantly. Generally a better experience than Flash based web sites.

There's certainly plenty for Microsoft to work on. I understand the privacy concerns though I think those have been so badly blown out of proportion and misunderstood that maybe "off" for all it for consumers is the only option, at least for appearances. And then there's the functional and UI things that should be addressed. Where ever it all goes, making Windows 10 more like Windows 7 would be good for a certain group that's critical of 10 because it's not "desktop enough". Overall I don't think being "more desktop" is something the average consumer would give 2 cents worth as long as it's "desktop enough" and I think 10 is as it is today.

I now have a gaming laptop which uses win 10. I can see why its losing! Even with classic shell it seems they moved stuff around from 8.1.

I might just pop 8.1 on it. I don't think there are win 7 drivers for it. :(

I now have a gaming laptop which uses win 10. I can see why its losing! Even with classic shell it seems they moved stuff around from 8.1.

I might just pop 8.1 on it. I don't think there are win 7 drivers for it. :(

10 actually had a decent jump of 1.12% and 7 was down a percent last month in Netmarketshare. Kind of interesting when compared to the Steam Hardware Survey numbers that saw only a .27% increase overall for 10. 10 64 bit was up .39% but 10 32 bit was down .12%. 7 was up overall .01% with 7 64 bit up .16% but 7 32 bit down .15%. Windows 10 will probably break 50% in the Steam Hardware Survey and 25% in Netmarketshare this month as Christmas usually provides a boost to new PC hardware sales though as PC sales are still kind of flat that boost may not be that much.

10 actually had a decent jump of 1.12% and 7 was down a percent last month in Netmarketshare. Kind of interesting when compared to the Steam Hardware Survey numbers that saw only a .27% increase overall for 10. 10 64 bit was up .39% but 10 32 bit was down .12%. 7 was up overall .01% with 7 64 bit up .16% but 7 32 bit down .15%. Windows 10 will probably break 50% in the Steam Hardware Survey and 25% in Netmarketshare this month as Christmas usually provides a boost to new PC hardware sales though as PC sales are still kind of flat that boost may not be that much.
A boost in sales of PC's not people wanting win 10. Big difference.

If the store gave them a choice of win 7, 8.1, and 10. Then lets see how its doing. ;)

I still have to get rid of all the windows bloatware.

A boost in sales of PC's not people wanting win 10. Big difference.

If the store gave them a choice of win 7, 8.1, and 10. Then lets see how its doing. ;)

I still have to get rid of all the windows bloatware.

But you have to consider the hardware. 7 would be pretty pointless on a tablet, touch enabled device or 2 in 1 and that's really the only part of the PC market that's seeing any growth currently and that market is no longer inconsiderable now, tablets and portable 2 in 1s account for 10% of all new Windows devices. I don't think 7 or 8.1 right now would spur sales of traditional PC hardware in the consumer space.

But you have to consider the hardware. 7 would be pretty pointless on a tablet, touch enabled device or 2 in 1 and that's really the only part of the PC market that's seeing any growth currently and that market is no longer inconsiderable now, tablets and portable 2 in 1s account for 10% of all new Windows devices. I don't think 7 or 8.1 right now would spur sales of traditional PC hardware in the consumer space.
I mean non touch interfaces.
Of course you want touch on a touch device. Just like I don't want touch software on my non touch hardware, but MS thinks I should.

I mean non touch interfaces.
Of course you want touch on a touch device. Just like I don't want touch software on my non touch hardware, but MS thinks I should.

It's a bit more complicated than that. A lot of this touch software is great on a desktop PC. I'm watching the AAC Championship in the WatchESPN on screen and the Oklahoma-Oklahoma State game on another using the FOX Sports GO app on the other on my sig rig right now with the browser in the middle screen. Better than using Flash in a web browser. The Fox app seems to stream at 60 FPS, looks very good.

At any rate, there are some nice options with apps even on a non-touch desktop and those apps work just as well with touch.

10 adoption isn't nearly flatlined - it's flatlined. And when you extrapolate combined 7 & 8.1 share against 10 share forward a decade, 10 still won't have displaced 7. Those lines will never meet.

10 uptake will continue to sputter, with the only new users joining the pool being captive ones buying a new PC where they have no other choice but 10.

MS will have to do something drastic to move the needle - either resort to more deception and dirty tricks with forced installs, or build a proper successor to 7 that returns to sanity by restoring user trust, respecting user choice, and either eliminating or making legitimately optional the forced crapware, ads and telemetry. The app store is DOA, and UWP is DOA, because Wmobile is dead. The attempt at a shortcut to mobile relevance failed and it's time to stop annoying desktop users.

Windows 7 will die of natural causes, via benign neglect as it fades into the end of extended support. Even if MS extends support of 7 past January 2020, lack of new hardware support will limit where it's installed, and eventually businesses will dump it en mass when it no longer gets (security) updates.

That doesn't mean some die hard can't or won't run 7 past that date, but the number of people or businesses who do will simply decrease as time goes on.

Windows 7 still has support until 2020, which is an incredibly long time and will have outlived it's usefulness by then. Still great for businesses but that will pass. I like Window 10, I really do but configuring it for employees to turn off sharing, tracking, etc., is extremely maddening to say the least. I think I have everything turned off and up pops an ad from above the task tray. After every major build your not sure what it turned back on. I've seen apps active that I know for sure I've disabled previously. I swear MS is it's own worst enemy.

Last edited:
Windows 7 still has support until 2020, which is an incredibly long time and will have outlived it's usefulness by then. Still great for businesses but that will pass. I like Window 10, I really do but configuring it for employees to turn off sharing, tracking, etc., is extremely maddening to say the least. I think I have everything turned off and up pops an ad from above the task tray. After every major build your not sure what it turned back on. I've seen apps active that I know for sure I've disabled previously. I swear MS is it's own worst enemy.

What version is are you using? The thing about the pop up ads. I never see them but then I have Edge set as the default browser and don't really change the defaults as I use all of this stuff now. I guess the ads are to push people that have changed the defaults thought there is a setting to turn all of that off. I have it set to off on one system and I've not noticed it coming back on. But Windows 10 has been pretty bad about keeping settings on major build upgrades, that needs to improve.

A bunch of games from the early 2000s. The Max Paynes, Hitmans, Spellforce, all the best Unreal games etc. About half of the golden age of PC gaming ran on <DX9.
shit i was pissed with XP when i couldnt run C&C...at least they released the first decade but that still needs XP and won't work on 7 :( So annoying. And X wing Alliance though that was just added to GOG so maybe that works now?

shit i was pissed with XP when i couldnt run C&C...at least they released the first decade but that still needs XP and won't work on 7 :( So annoying. And X wing Alliance though that was just added to GOG so maybe that works now?

Have you tried OpenRA?

I play it on my Linux machine and it's fantastic: http://www.openra.net/

Back