Windows 10 Feature Depreciation List

Zarathustra[H];1041652017 said:
If you want to continue using WMC stay with 8.1, and you won't have to worry about it until January 2023 when 8.1 goes EOL.

By then who knows. Cable TV might even be dead, meaning we don't need a computer based DVR anymore...

Or Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paul
Well, If the Items removed from Windows 10 Home Edition, and above, are not enough to turn you completely off from allowing the upgrade, then even paying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, and then Praying that King MS will even allow the re-installation of what it has "Removed From" the W-10 initial install seems unlikely, to me, since it will then prevent you from "Leasing" MS 's version of what ever "They want to replace in the "Free Version" YOUR WINDOW'S 7, with a similar thing, But "Charge You to Use IT" Instead!

(KB3068708): Just as I was "Shutting Down" my system, to attend Grand Children's High School Graduations Friday, King MS tried to install two new So-Called Up-Dates that I had never heard of on my system, so I did what King MS tells me to NEVER DO, and I shut down my computer, to prevent that install from completing!

When I returned home today, I checked and learned that the above (KB3068708), says it is "Intended to make it easier for computer's still running "Old Operating System Software", meaning Windows 7 Pro (64 Bit) to "Up-Grade" to "Newer Operating System Software", meaning "Windows 10 Home Edition", most likely through a "Back Door" to simply Force that up-grade upon recalcitrant "Hold Outs", like me, when ever King MS decides that "IT KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR US, AND KING MS's BOTTOM LINE AS WELL".

Hey Mister FUD, how you doing? Windows 7 Pro receives the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, not home. The person you may have been speaking about asked what the cost is to go from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro which is was quoted as $99. That is the in place upgrade cost just like Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/ 8.1.

There will be no forced upgrades of any kind. If someone chooses to upgrade, that is not forcing or tricking someone to upgrade. Logic beats emotions every day.

Well, you, and the other staunch King MS supporters, who seem to “Be Online” all this work day, but who now has “Clocked out”, and gone home, for a good night’s rest, having “Marginalized”, “Denigrated”, while calling all “Non-King MS “Shills” by “Funny Names”, hoping desperately that no-one will pay heed to whatever we may have revealed about King MS’ future plan’s fleece ever so much more than they now, once we are all “Stuck With Windows 10, and whatever else King MS will then decide to “Lease, or then Charge US FOR”!

My pardon for preparing, this response “Off Line”, but I noticed earlier that YOU HAD ALREADY POSTED YOUR DEROGATORY ANSWER TO ME, ALMOST BEFORE I EVEN “HIT THE SUMIT BUTTON”, TELLING ME THAT YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY WERE ABLE TO VIEW MY WORDS WHILE I WAS STILL COMPOSING THEM!

THIS ALSO TELLS ME THAT ALL “YOU PROTECTOR PEOPLE ON-LINE ALL DAY”, ARE ALSO EMPLOYEE’S OF HARD OCP, WHO ARE OWNED, AND CONTROLLED, INDIRECTLY, BY KING MS TOO!

IN ALL CASES, NONE OF YOU KING MS PROTECTORS EVER ANSWERED ANY OF OUR QUESTIONS, OR EVER DISCLOSED, THAT YOU ALL HAVE A VESTED INTEREST, AND MAYBE EVEN YOUR JOBS, OR YOUR NEXT PROMOTION AT STAKE, AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE DIS-ALLOWED FROM PARTICIPATING IN MAKING, OR ANSWERING, ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING KING MS, UNLESS IT IS DISCLOSED THAT YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS, OTHER THAN TO DEFEND KING MS FROM ANY, AND ALL, THINGS THAT KING MS MIGHT DISAGREE WITH!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO forced upgrades are a GOOD thing.

So many of the existing botnets exist because of unpatched machines...

IMHO, they should - instead - have made two classes of updates, across the board, Pro, Home or Enterprise.

Anything "feature" based is optional. Anything patched due to security is mandatory and you have no say about it what so ever.

Dude. No matter how obnoxiously bolded and large you make your text it won't hide the fact that your shit is drivel.

I disagree. The formatting was so bad I didn't read it; therefore it was well hidden (assuming it was drivel...could have been pure genius for all I know).

Zarathustra[H];1041652578 said:

IMHO, they should - instead - have made two classes of updates, across the board, Pro, Home or Enterprise.

Anything "feature" based is optional. Anything patched due to security is mandatory and you have no say about it what so ever.

That's pretty much is what they did. Home gets updates immediately. Pro and Enterprise can defer it for a little while but they will eventually be forced. Only enterprise can block forever. I'm for one happy as maybe it would get my company off of IE9. Management refuses to budge because they put the money into things they use than towards infrastructure.

That's pretty much is what they did. Home gets updates immediately. Pro and Enterprise can defer it for a little while but they will eventually be forced. Only enterprise can block forever. I'm for one happy as maybe it would get my company off of IE9. Management refuses to budge because they put the money into things they use than towards infrastructure.

Installing security updates automatically is one thing but installing entire programs without permission is completely unacceptable.

Everyone is skeptical of Microsoft and the "free" Windows 10 upgrade resulting in a OS subscriptions/services and this exact scenario. I don't blame them either. Microsoft is consistently attempting to force Skype, Bing, OneDrive, apps, and other irrelevant cloud crap onto users through various tricks, installation bundling, or Windows Update.

Zarathustra[H];1041652578 said:

You're kidding right?

You're kidding right?

Dead serious.

Unpatched machines on the internet is one of the biggest network security problems there are right now.

If I were king of the OS, I'd give all users (Enterprise or home) 2 business days after release to install a security patch, or your machine becomes automatically disabled, until such time the patch is installed.

I don't care if it shuts down your business operations.

If you were dumb enough to deploy a web based business system that isn't cross-browser standards compliant then you deserve whats coming.

It's better to break shit with a bad update, than to allow known vulnerabilities to exist unpatched in the wild.

In addition, we should have a legal internet security board with the power to fine anyone who intentionally puts a machine with unpatched vulnerabilities on a network.

I'm thinking ~$1,000 per machine, per day.

Microsoft should be suing Enterprises that don't immediately patch.

You're not considering jail time for those who use a hack to disable automatic updates on Win 10 Home?

You're not considering jail time for those who use a hack to disable automatic updates on Win 10 Home?

Not a bad idea. :p

After all not patching, is the internet version of not vaccinating, and I want to fucking KILL those people. :D

Yeah, I plan on keeping around a Windows 8.1 machine to keep running WMC. I still love the thing for its CableCard support but honestly as there's more and more online options to get TV content, I'm not using as much as I used to.

Personally I use MythTV instead, but WMC was a strong contender when I was first setting everything up.

Ultimately I decided to go with MythTV because WMC didn't support using other HTPC's as extenders and I wasn't about to go out and buy dedicated extenders or xboxes.

(This was before there was a WMC plugin for XBMC.)

Installing security updates automatically is one thing but installing entire programs without permission is completely unacceptable.

Everyone is skeptical of Microsoft and the "free" Windows 10 upgrade resulting in a OS subscriptions/services and this exact scenario. I don't blame them either. Microsoft is consistently attempting to force Skype, Bing, OneDrive, apps, and other irrelevant cloud crap onto users through various tricks, installation bundling, or Windows Update.

Those are optional updates, not security updates. There's a difference.

Zarathustra[H];1041653315 said:
Dead serious.

Unpatched machines on the internet is one of the biggest network security problems there are right now.

If I were king of the OS, I'd give all users (Enterprise or home) 2 business days after release to install a security patch, or your machine becomes automatically disabled, until such time the patch is installed.

I think that depends. If it's a zero day exploit, then I agree, but otherwise, I'm OK with waiting 5 days to see if there are issues (though I normally don't wait).

[quote
I don't care if it shuts down your business operations.

If you were dumb enough to deploy a web based business system that isn't cross-browser standards compliant then you deserve whats coming.
[/quote]

The problem is when bought vertical software that requires a specific version, and they haven't updated it, you're stuck. And while new software tends to be cross browser compatible, 5-6 years ago, that wasn't the case and enterprise apps don't change quickly. I've worked with new versions of software that is based on technology that's 15 years old. People bitch about MS, but enterprise software is just pathetic.
It's better to break shit with a bad update, than to allow known vulnerabilities to exist unpatched in the wild.[/QUOTE]

Zarathustra[H];1041653320 said:
In addition, we should have a legal internet security board with the power to fine anyone who intentionally puts a machine with unpatched vulnerabilities on a network.

I'm thinking ~$1,000 per machine, per day.

Microsoft should be suing Enterprises that don't immediately patch.

That's overthetop. I just installed some optional patches a week ago and it hosed my machine. It took me more than a day to figure out what they'd done. You can't have that in a company with thousands of PCs. Businesses can't stop. And frankly, at that point, the fault lies with MS...and these weren't new patches. I'd purposely let them sit there for almost a month so that MS could fix any issues...and they never did. Fortunately I found a 3rd party tool to fix it, but again, if you're an enterprise, you can't bork 1000+ machines in the name of security. You install them on a bunch of test machines, and make sure you're not likely to see massive problems.

Smaller companies can probably do what you're saying, simply because they aren't going to do a patch soak anyway.

Don't let the Bastarxx Grind YOU Down!

That's what they are here for, and Paid To Do!

Well, OS preferences aside, all of you thinking you're screwing 'the man' by declaring eternal allegiance to Windows 7 - don't forget to disable windows update :)

Breaking out the tin foil hat! here we go.
I have had the doubtful pleasure of migrating a small (15 nodes) Windows 2000 network to XP. Gradually, over the course of something like 18 months.
The more XP was pushed, the more bluescreens happened on my Windows 2000 machines (various hardware) right before the end of support.
Same with when XP was nearing EOL - remember the bug that made windows update eat up cpu time? How long they waited till the fix was pushed?
Those were real, wasted dollars for lots of people.
And come on, would they really need to mess with the updater that close to the end of its' very purpose?
Tin foil hat goes off - but I thought I'd share...

Those are optional updates, not security updates. There's a difference.

There is and Microsoft does not care. Windows 10 adware/nagware is now installed on millions of Windows computers thanks to automatic Windows Updates.

History will repeat itself.

There is and Microsoft does not care. Windows 10 adware/nagware is now installed on millions of Windows computers thanks to automatic Windows Updates.

*Sigh* History? What history? Care to detail out what you are referring too?

If you don't want to install them right away, you could just set up a firewall rule to block the update servers. When you want to update, just disable the rule temporarily.

I would think it'll be editable via GPEdit. A lot of the major annoyances I had with 8.1 were solved by going into that.

Huh? How is an optional update that tells you to schedule a 10 update the same as an automatic update of optional software?

Back