Windows 10 Feature Depreciation List

GO FUICK YOURSELFL MICROSHITS.. I WILL NERVER REMOVE WIN 7 . SO SUCK A FAT DICK MICROSHIT

•If you have Windows 7 Home Premium with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
Strike One

•Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Could live with this, but I'll still say Strike 2 because I'm sure I'll get complaints at work when someone puts in a DVD in their laptop and complains it won't play.

•Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available.
Definitely Strike 3. It would be fine if they made it the default, but if I can't disable the automatic update (which always seems to decide to update at the worst time possible), no thanks.

Looks like I'll be staying with Windows 7 for a very long time. (And removing that annoying windows 10 upgrade icon they are installing with an update)

OMG! A MS rape victim!
What can we do to help?
So you love their previous product with such intensity that you will never upgrade?
Wow that is some serious dedication/fan warship. No?

I don't think I ever used the Windows Media Center except when i had my tv coaxial connected to my pc. That was years in the past though, im sure theres hundreds of betters softwares for that. The first thing i'd do on every w7 install was remove that feature.

Any idea how to remove the item? It's pretty annoying and i can't figure out how to remove it.

If only there were some large, annual event at which games are announced and detailed, some gathering where information is disseminated...

E3 is irrelevant to the bigger point that it'll take years for DX12 to reach a critical mass of developers targeting it, just like DX11 before it. Hell, DX9 games are *still* coming out even though most stuff is (finally) DX11.

Most developers and publishers just aren't in a rush to limit their potential customer base to one version of an API on one version of Windows simply because Microsoft decided it wants to sell a new version of Windows.

Pretty sure the update thing will have some sort of put off for X minutes of time popup that keeps hounding you to install them. This is a good thing because to many people just click cancel and never hear again about updating until they get owned by security flaw that was not patched.

Downside is if they mess up a patch there's gonna be a million and one souls screaming at MS.

I don't think I ever used the Windows Media Center except when i had my tv coaxial connected to my pc. That was years in the past though, im sure theres hundreds of betters softwares for that. The first thing i'd do on every w7 install was remove that feature.

The sad thing is that there really isn't, at least when you're dealing with US digital cable. Mythtv or other packages might be able to playback and record some channels from some providers, but any copy-once channels/programs require DRM not supported by anything other than WMC. TWC does this on pretty much all channels in one market I'm familiar with.

Hopefully that Silicondust Kickstarter produces something worthwhile.

Not if you have a cable card. It gets used for hours every day at my house. Pretty much all TV viewing in the house goes through it. The local cable company just announced they are switching to all digital, so every TV would now require a box. Instead I can use an Xbox 360 connected to a TV as an extender to watch shows though my HTPC.

I prefer to build my own DRV box instead of spending big $ every month for a restrictive box from the cable company. I can record up to 4 shows at once, add more TB of disk space as needed (already at 4TB just for TV shows), view photos/home movies, watch any dvd rips we want, and view all of this on any PC in the house, on my windows 8 tablet, and even stream most of it to my phone or android tablet. Plus the interface is easy enough for the kids/wife to use.

The cable card rules are so restrictive (due to the media companies), that the entire system needs to be certified from cable input to video output, there really isn't much else out there. As long as Microsoft keeps supporting the TV guide updates, I'll just keep using Windows 7. Hopefully there will be a streaming solution with the channels/shows we want I can switch to by then.

The sad thing is that there really isn't, at least when you're dealing with US digital cable. Mythtv or other packages might be able to playback and record some channels from some providers, but any copy-once channels/programs require DRM not supported by anything other than WMC. TWC does this on pretty much all channels in one market I'm familiar with.

Hopefully that Silicondust Kickstarter produces something worthwhile.

CableCard support was a unique feature in Windows that I've used for years and will miss and defiantly hope that someone picks up the slack for computing devices. But it really is very rare air. I just had all of my cable equipment replaced back in January and had to have two techs come by to get everything straight and neither of them who had been doing this for over five years had never seen a Windows Media Center setup using CableCard.

So why would you upgrade from win8.1 to win 10 anyway? Win8.1 is booting fast for me as it is. Plus I don't know how, but I've managed to live without the start menu. I actually find that right clicking on the garbage can icon (start), and that menu that then appears is way better anyway as it's got direct access to control panel, device manager, etc right there. I rarely have to go to the dumb start screen (which I have emptied of everything bar desktop), then to the app screen to launch stuff.

Is there any technical advantage? I don't use the app store on my desktop computer because of the fact I really could not be mutha fuked typing my windows account password to log in all the time. Why the hell can't we just use local accounts to access the content? It's tied to just the computer you install store stuff to anyway. OR, only require account log in when accessing the store only, not the os?

I stopped being a modern computer enthusiast when this app shit took over. It's really soul destroying seeing the current state of computing. Software sucks, it's all greasy touchy hipster shit.

DX12

*Reads list*

52e8d96cb25b14a304b519c140512f32d8d1f761205092633609be7b7ca19e9b.jpg

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
Windows 10 sux! I will never use Windows 10 because of this!!!! !! !!!!!! :mad:

:rolleyes: :D

I wonder if Microsoft might be removing functionality (DVD Playback, Media Center) to boost their app store. Developers probably don't want to develop something when it comes standard on the machine. The more they remove, the more "app store" apps can take their place.

They removed the drive imaging / backup stuff in 8.1. I hoped it'd return in 10, but from the looks of it, I doubt it at this point.

I thought DVD playback was removed in Windows 8, but I don't think it matters, since I have Power DVD and XBMC..er KODI already plays them back. The reason they're removing it is because it costs money and more than likely very few people use WMP for DVDs. Hell, I rarely use DVDs anymore (though some of the better ones still look OK).

For backup, I just use Acronis (and have for at least 5 or 6 years). They regularly have it on sale for 20-30 bucks. Nothing wrong with a free alternative, but I suspect MS doesn't want to waste money maintaining it.

About the only thing that affects me is Gadgets, but if it's anything like 8.x, I'll be able to continue using them thanks to some software linked off of addgadget's site.

Do you not realize how silly that sounds. You shouldn't have to fight an OS like this, setting up manual firewall rules to brute force bandaid fix what should just be an optional setting. Totally absurd.

If you're knowledgeable enough to install the updates at your own pace, then you can handle this. Most home users are not and they need to have these installed automatically. I use to let my mother install her own (because at one time she was pretty good about updating the system), but when it became apparent that she wasn't installing updates within a month of patch Tuesday, I made it automatic. I also automatically update all of her applications.

Truth is I've never used a home version of Windows...and given that they'll update me to pro, I guess I never will.

I imagine the CSS licensing could also be a factor. Save money by not including a rarely used feature as most machines nowadays don't even include a DVDRom.

Most desktops don't have a DVD player? I totally agree on Laptops, but I just assumed that a desktop system (not counting AIO systems, which are more like a laptop than a desktop, IMO) still had an optical reader, but what do I know. The last last prebuilt PC I owned was a Zeos or a northgate (see 20+ years ago).

•If you have Windows 7 Home Premium with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
Strike One

If I ran media center, I'd agree (for the machine that ran it), but this has been the case since a few months into Windows 8 (unless you paid extra for the feature).

•Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Could live with this, but I'll still say Strike 2 because I'm sure I'll get complaints at work when someone puts in a DVD in their laptop and complains it won't play.

You let people watch commercial DVDs at work?

Yea, media center is something I'll never miss. I did try it in win7, it was slow and bloated and an absolute pita to use. I never touched it again thinking what's the damn point when media player does it all?

So those that keep saying dx12, if I went out and bought a 970 GeForce to replace my 280, what would it do for me using windows 10 right off the bat? I'd say absolutely nothing at all, but I'd like to know. :) I'd only do it if fo4 required dx12.

So, anything else that is actually useful in win10? Anything at all that isn't candy crush? lol.

With the exception of updates and USB floppy supprt, this entire list of removed features is to force app store and cloud adoption.

I see none of that as a bad thing.

I didn't like solitaire and minesweeper on win 7, i preferred the older one on xp/2000 so that's not a lost for me, either.

I'd much rather a self contained system that functioned without any help. Not SKYNET, yet an OS that makes out jobs easier.

For people bitching about the removal of DVD playback codec: that was done in Windows 8 already.

So I've noticed. :( Tried to pop in a DVD that my co-worker lent me (have had it for a while now and haven't bothered watching it), and... couldn't watch it. Oh well - the Windows 7 laptop will do.

Really - I see no reason to move to Windows 10. Sorry Microsoft. Your bullshit "important updates" won't convince me either...

I'm pretty happy about the updates being forced on Home edition. I'm tired of running Windows Update only to find that the user has disabled updates and there are 100+ of them waiting to be installed.

The lack of Windows Media Center upgrade option kills it.

Also, forcing updates can cause all kinds of problems when it comes to hardware. I don't know how many times that Microsoft has pushed a driver update out through Windows Update & effectively crippled someones system. I've seen that one many times including a driver update for one of my tv tuners that renders it unusable.

Yeah, I'm fine with 7, good luck to all those who migrate. I'll wait for a year or so after launch before I get too excited.

For people bitching about the removal of DVD playback codec: that was done in Windows 8 already.

I remember things differently.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2013/0...indows-8-upgrades-and-media-center-pack-keys/

"Finally, if you are running Windows 8 Pro, either as an upgrade or purchased on a new PC, you qualify for a free Windows 8 Media Center Pack. Installing this upgrade unlocks the Windows 8 Media Center component and the codecs required to play back DVDs in Windows 8. This offer ends on January 31, 2013 as well, after which the price for that add-on goes up to $9.99."

If people have Media Center in 8 and 8.1, it means they paid for it one way or another. Either they paid for the OS upgrade, or late they paid for the Media Center Pack.
Now Microsoft is removing a feature that people paid for.
This is why I, and others, are pissed. It's not hard to understand.

Always amuses me to watch a bunch of so called 'PC Enthusiasts' bitching, panicking and moaning over some changes that -

1. Really shouldn't be of any concern to them.

2. Features they rarely if ever used anyway.

3. Features that they should all know better alternatives to already.

4. Features they moaned about until they were taken away.

5. Features that were already removed in earlier versions but they never even noticed.

As mentioned earlier...zero fucks given.

No big deal for me. I don't need or use any of those things.

I would like MS to give us back the old Windows 98/98SE custom install option.

Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Yep
Nope
Nope
Nope
Yep
Nope

If people have Media Center in 8 and 8.1, it means they paid for it one way or another. Either they paid for the OS upgrade, or late they paid for the Media Center Pack.

Windows Media Center was offered for free for Windows 8.0 Pro user for several months after 8 went RTM. After that period it did cost $10.

Back