windows 10 fcu optimization guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only person trying to rationalize anything here is yourself while you're going off topic attacking me as opposed to participating in discussion in a mature manner.
Nice try, kiddo, but no. This is how you prove your childishness time and time again. You fire a shot, and the try to play the victim when someone calls you out on the BS. You tried to be witty, but failed miserably. I explained why I don't block anyone. I told you that you were free to block me, given your childish ways. Grow up, put on your big boy underoos, and stop trying to play the victim. It's childish, and we all see through it. That's prime troll behavior. Always is, and you'r grabbing that banner and running with it.

Nice try, kiddo, but no. This is how you prove your childishness time and time again. You fire a shot, and the try to play the victim when someone calls you out on the BS. You tried to be witty, but failed miserably. I explained why I don't block anyone. I told you that you were free to block me, given your childish ways. Grow up, put on your big boy underoos, and stop trying to play the victim. It's childish, and we all see through it. That's prime troll behavior. Always is, and you'r grabbing that banner and running with it.

Kiddo?!

Grow up dude.

You're not going to goad me into closing the thread. If you troll enough you'll get noticed and taken care of.

Reactions: Void
like this
God I love the ignore function. I can see from other peoples replies that some ignoramus is spewing nonsense again lol.

Yeesh, I sat through a few minutes of that video and couldn't take it any more. Is this an "Optimization" video or a "Disable a bunch of stuff cuz [1990s and/or paranoid logic]?" Disable automatic time adjustment? Oh man good thing I disabled that, it gave me 20fps more in Battleground II! .... I couldn't watch any more cuz it just made me wince, but does he do any conclusive benchmarking? "With Cortana enabled, it takes 3 seconds to do this thing. With Cortana disabled, it takes -44 seconds!" or something?

You're not going to goad me into closing the thread. If you troll enough you'll get noticed and taken care of.

This thread ran it's course immediately after your OP. It's dead whether you want to admit to it or not no matter what I say.

i dont really care if there are any posts after this one or not. still not going to close it. the info is out there for more to see and use if they feel they can use it. that is/was the whole point.

techcity has a good guide up for optimizing win10 fcu. should tame the telemetry too.
Thanks for posting pendragon1 . There were a couple tweaks in there that I had not done yet that were useful. Would have been really helpful a month ago when I did the initial installation. Since then though I have found several other tweak guides on YT, most notably Barnacules Nerdgasm's videos. I still need to go to BlackViper's site and get my services in check.

Thanks again!

- Old I3 laptop at work
- One day it updates itself to Win 10, no problem
- Working with win 10 is slower than win 7 but I don’t care
- One day it installs the Creators update, everything became very slow and laggy, previewing an excel or word file is a pain
- tried some fixes but nothing changed
- asked the company for a new desktop for me and the accountant and got the approval
- picked 2x hp ProDesk 400 G4 (i5-7500) with win 10
- slow and laggy, maybe worse than the old I3 laptop, googled and tried some tweaks, still bad
- accountant is having the same issues, he gave me few days to solve it before he returns to his old Win 7 desktop and tell the manager that the new desktop is worst than the old one
- I noticed the hard disk and memory usage is very high (at 100%) when it shouldn’t be, tried few fixes, no go. I think this is the main issue here, I got the approval to buy another 4GB dim but I didn't do it because 1- memory prices doubled 2- what if the hard disk is the real bottleneck and the memory upgrade adds nothing
- outlook is very slow, I have a 10GB+ email that I use a lot
- Win 7 time
- Couldn’t install win 7 because it doesn’t have native USB 3.0 support with newer CPU’s (mouse & keyboard not working during setup)
- used Windows USB Tool to create bootable flash drive
- used Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility to add USB 3.0 support (added USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver from HP website)
- installed Win 7
- windows update worked fine, I installed all the listed updates then turned off and disabled automatic update
- the official video card driver didn’t work but I found a work around (installed mb_driver_vga_intel_21.20.16.4508_w7)
- everything is fast and smooth

To optimize Windows 10. Get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, create media, boot from media, format drive and install. Congratulations, Windows 10 with NO store, NO Cortana, NO Edge, NO apps, NO Xbox (candy crush, etc, etc), and cannot even get any of those. Just a little bit of tweaking on the telemetry settings and good to go.

Been there. Done that.

- Old I3 laptop at work
- One day it updates itself to Win 10, no problem
- Working with win 10 is slower than win 7 but I don’t care
- One day it installs the Creators update, everything became very slow and laggy, previewing an excel or word file is a pain
- tried some fixes but nothing changed
- asked the company for a new desktop for me and the accountant and got the approval
- picked 2x hp ProDesk 400 G4 (i5-7500) with win 10
- slow and laggy, maybe worse than the old I3 laptop, googled and tried some tweaks, still bad
- accountant is having the same issues, he gave me few days to solve it before he returns to his old Win 7 desktop and tell the manager that the new desktop is worst than the old one
- I noticed the hard disk and memory usage is very high (at 100%) when it shouldn’t be, tried few fixes, no go. I think this is the main issue here, I got the approval to buy another 4GB dim but I didn't do it because 1- memory prices doubled 2- what if the hard disk is the real bottleneck and the memory upgrade adds nothing
- outlook is very slow, I have a 10GB+ email that I use a lot
- Win 7 time
- Couldn’t install win 7 because it doesn’t have native USB 3.0 support with newer CPU’s (mouse & keyboard not working during setup)
- used Windows USB Tool to create bootable flash drive
- used Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility to add USB 3.0 support (added USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver from HP website)
- installed Win 7
- windows update worked fine, I installed all the listed updates then turned off and disabled automatic update
- the official video card driver didn’t work but I found a work around (installed mb_driver_vga_intel_21.20.16.4508_w7)
- everything is fast and smooth
Two things stand out. First, were any of these systems using an SSD? Second, I didn't see a clean install listed, unless I missed it. Clean installs are always recommended after an upgrade, especially if the was the slow OEM install from HP. I'm a former HP employee, and could never figure out why they'd sell new systems crippled by a bloated, slow install. Dell is a little better, but HP is still awful at shipping the systems with a lean, well-performing OS.

Two things stand out. First, were any of these systems using an SSD? Second, I didn't see a clean install listed, unless I missed it. Clean installs are always recommended after an upgrade, especially if the was the slow OEM install from HP. I'm a former HP employee, and could never figure out why they'd sell new systems crippled by a bloated, slow install. Dell is a little better, but HP is still awful at shipping the systems with a lean, well-performing OS.

no, the new desktops doesn't have an SSD, they didn't come with an OS but the place we bought it from clean installed Win 10.
the CPU is more than enough, there was a video file that took 26 hours to encode and resize to fit on a 4.7GB DVD on my old laptop but the same operation only took 3.5 hours on the new desktop, I did this to show my colleague that the new desktop is better but bottlenecked by the memory and hard disk

Installing an SSD isn't the answer to improving the Windows 10 experience. Yeah, it makes a helluva difference alright, but if it wasn't taxing the the hell out of the HDD all the time it wouldn't have that problem.
Im all for using SSDs in computers, been doing almost 10 years in my personal system. But the average Joe does not have an SSD installed and it's certainly nowhere near the standard for your average desktop or laptop. Win10 should be capable of performing very well on a standard HDD but the reality is it doesn't

Reactions: Lunar
like this
Win10 should be capable of performing very well on a standard HDD but the reality is it doesn't
I'd argue that the reality is HDDs are painful to use regardless of the OS, when compared to an SSD. The weakest link in the performance chain has been the HDD, so if you improve the weakest link, the entire experience is improved, again, regardless of the OS.

I'd argue that the reality is HDDs are painful to use regardless of the OS, when compared to an SSD. The weakest link in the performance chain has been the HDD, so if you improve the weakest link, the entire experience is improved, again, regardless of the OS.
I agree 100%. But just because you improve the hardware doesn't give the developers an excuse not to still build efficient software that keeps performance in mind. It's the same logic as saying "We should upgrade our CPUs to 16 cores so the OS can take 4-5 completely hostage the entire time ". People just don't realize how much unnecessary disk access and writing is going on until they use Win10 with an HDD.

Not every OS is slow on a spinner. Windows in general becomes more painful on spinners over time and loves thrashing hard drives, most A/V solutions compound this issue.

Based on practical experience with Windows on a magnitude of machines not confined to corporate circles, Windows 10 is not faster in daily operation to Windows 7 and is definitely no leaner on low power hardware - At times the whole experience is downright frustrating.

I agree with FlawleZ, an SSD should not be used as a Band Aid on a sore knee approach, performance should be acceptable no matter what the storage medium.

Last edited:
It's funny how so much is extrapolated from my original question of just asking the OP if the computer had an SSD or not.

No where in this thread did I suggest an SSD would rectify a poorly built OEM image or solve all the issues of a bad install. I simply asked the OP if the computer had one or not. Whether or not the system has an SSD, HP's default OS builds are horrid for performance. Always have been. I worked for them between 2001 and 2006 (not in the consumer division) and it was a very common complaint. Performance was night and day when you compared how the system was shipped verse a clean install. I thought it was a big mistake then, because quality hardware still gave the end user a poor experience. HP hasn't changed, unfortunately, and still ship their systems with a ton of bloat. Mind you, this is on the consumer side, as I have no experience with their business lines after 2006.

It's funny how so much is extrapolated from my original question of just asking the OP if the computer had an SSD or not.

No where in this thread did I suggest an SSD would rectify a poorly built OEM image or solve all the issues of a bad install. I simply asked the OP if the computer had one or not. Whether or not the system has an SSD, HP's default OS builds are horrid for performance. Always have been. I worked for them between 2001 and 2006 (not in the consumer division) and it was a very common complaint. Performance was night and day when you compared how the system was shipped verse a clean install. I thought it was a big mistake then, because quality hardware still gave the end user a poor experience. HP hasn't changed, unfortunately, and still ship their systems with a ton of bloat. Mind you, this is on the consumer side, as I have no experience with their business lines after 2006.
I used to work for a small PC Service company locally between 2008-2010 and we were an HP Elite partner. We moved a good amount of HP systems in the Small Business sector and I can say the business side is better than consumer but still left a lot to be desired. It still included bloatware that wasn't necessary. You have to remember sometimes that the decision makers in situations like these are often times the biggest bean counters and typically have little to no technical understanding or background.

Absolutely. What we call bloat, those accountants called "revenue sources".

Not every OS is slow on a spinner. Windows in general becomes more painful on spinners over time and loves thrashing hard drives, most A/V solutions compound this issue.

Based on practical experience with Windows on a magnitude of machines not confined to corporate circles, Windows 10 is not faster in daily operation to Windows 7 and is definitely no leaner on low power hardware - At times the whole experience is downright frustrating.

I agree with FlawleZ, an SSD should not be used as a Band Aid on a sore knee approach, performance should be acceptable no matter what the storage medium.

Then a I assume you run all your Linux installations off a USB 2.0 slow flash drive or a DVD drive because, performance should be acceptable no matter what the storage medium. :rolleyes:

Installing an SSD isn't the answer to improving the Windows 10 experience. Yeah, it makes a helluva difference alright, but if it wasn't taxing the the hell out of the HDD all the time it wouldn't have that problem.
Im all for using SSDs in computers, been doing almost 10 years in my personal system. But the average Joe does not have an SSD installed and it's certainly nowhere near the standard for your average desktop or laptop. Win10 should be capable of performing very well on a standard HDD but the reality is it doesn't

No OS runs well on a spinner anymore, emphasizing the well part. Now, if you bought off a hard drive, run your programs and then never shut down, that is not the experience of the hard drive but the ram itself that the programs are loaded into after you run them. SSD's are no bandaid for performance but nowadays, a must.

The cool thing is, they make for a fantastic upgrade for the customer instead of having to buy a new computer. They are absolutely shocked when they receive the computer back and it boots in seconds and things just fly on it. Hard drives are slow nowadays, just all there is to it. Worse is when a new computer is sold with a 2.5 inch 5400 rpm spinnner.

Then a I assume you run all your Linux installations off a USB 2.0 slow flash drive or a DVD drive because, performance should be acceptable no matter what the storage medium. :rolleyes:

I've made my statement ManOfGod, it's not going to change no matter what you believe.

Not at all interested in getting drawn into a debate over it.

I've made my statement ManOfGod, it's not going to change no matter what you believe.

Not at all interested in getting drawn into a debate over it.

That's good, you go right on kiddo. :D ;) Do you actually offer an SSD upgrade to your customers or do you just tell them it is a waste of money?

No OS runs well on a spinner anymore, emphasizing the well part.
I've seen Windows 10 on middling hardware (2012-ish Lenovo ThinkPad) on a 7200rpm disk and it wasn't bad. Sure, it's not an SSD, but given sufficient RAM (this one had 8GB) it seems to cache enough to keep the experience reasonable. Of course I am slightly biased as I've also seen more recent macOS releases on hard drives and hooooooooly moly yeah Apple's software team clearly forgot they still sell devices with hard drives in 2017 and wow, macOS on a base model iMac is a pretty atrocious experience.

I've seen Windows 10 on middling hardware (2012-ish Lenovo ThinkPad) on a 7200rpm disk and it wasn't bad. Sure, it's not an SSD, but given sufficient RAM (this one had 8GB) it seems to cache enough to keep the experience reasonable. Of course I am slightly biased as I've also seen more recent macOS releases on hard drives and hooooooooly moly yeah Apple's software team clearly forgot they still sell devices with hard drives in 2017 and wow, macOS on a base model iMac is a pretty atrocious experience.

I'm running MacOS High Sierra on a 2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB of ram on a 5400RPM spinner and it runs beautifully.

put it on a ssd and you might change your mind.

edit: stupid autocorrect

Last edited:
Nice isolated example. I manage hundreds of Windows 10 systems and I can assure you: If Windows thinks an unsuitable driver is the better driver, that's the driver it will install.

The attitude you people have is like some form of Stockholm Syndrome, a case of constant denial?! It's OK to point out Windows 10's flaws and complain loudly, that's the only way things change for the better.
You don't take that tack with Linux, haha.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back