windows 10 fcu optimization guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
techcity has a good guide up for optimizing win10 fcu. should tame the telemetry too.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Optimization? LOL! Nowadays, it is just not worth it because you see no real difference, unless you are benchmarking. (Not a knock to the OP, just saying.)

This is the one aspect of Windows 10 that really bothers me. What happened to the days of installing Windows and it being clean? Now I get Candy Crush and other crap preinstalled. Sure I can just uninstall it, but I shouldn't have to.

I read that title as the "Windows 10 Fuck You Optimization Guide". Figured it was a way customers had told Microsoft "Fuck you" by getting rid of their crap or it was a new way Microsoft had told customers "Fuck You". Kinda sad I had misread.

This is the one aspect of Windows 10 that really bothers me. What happened to the days of installing Windows and it being clean? Now I get Candy Crush and other crap preinstalled. Sure I can just uninstall it, but I shouldn't have to.

Not to mention even if you do uninstall that crap it can come back after a major update.

Optimization? LOL! Nowadays, it is just not worth it because you see no real difference, unless you are benchmarking. (Not a knock to the OP, just saying.)
maybe but it made a difference on the old ass system I'm limping along on. and I thought with the amount of complaints this might help a few people.

maybe but it made a difference on the old ass system I'm limping along on. and I thought with the amount of complaints this might help a few people.

I think people are over Microsoft's bullshit, optimizing that bullshit ain't gonna polish a turd.

Whether you like it or not lots of people use it. So I try to help, this helps. So maybe you should try and resist postings in windows threads when you have nothing constructive to add.

I'm not voicing my opinion, I'm stating the obvious.

Whether you like it or not lots of people use it. So I try to help, this helps. So maybe you should try and resist postings in windows threads when you have nothing constructive to add.

Looks like he is just in one of his moods again, I would just simply ignore him for now. For those that this thread helps, thanks. :)

To optimize Windows 10. Get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, create media, boot from media, format drive and install. Congratulations, Windows 10 with NO store, NO Cortana, NO Edge, NO apps, NO Xbox (candy crush, etc, etc), and cannot even get any of those. Just a little bit of tweaking on the telemetry settings and good to go.

Once you clear the apps, or use the PowerShell scripts to get them all at once, there is little else to do. Run updates and make sure your drivers are up to date. After that, spend your time using the computer. I recently finished my new build, and I'm spending my time on configuring my ESXI box and playing the new Call of Duty.

To optimize Windows 10. Get Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, create media, boot from media, format drive and install. Congratulations, Windows 10 with NO store, NO Cortana, NO Edge, NO apps, NO Xbox (candy crush, etc, etc), and cannot even get any of those. Just a little bit of tweaking on the telemetry settings and good to go.

There's no legal way of doing this without special licensing not available to the public.

Once you clear the apps, or use the PowerShell scripts to get them all at once, there is little else to do. Run updates and make sure your drivers are up to date. After that, spend your time using the computer. I recently finished my new build, and I'm spending my time on configuring my ESXI box and playing the new Call of Duty.

If the resent post in [H] news is by Zarathustra is anything to go by, it looks like the days of uninstalling forced 'apps' is over. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you update your drivers, if Windows decides an older driver is the better driver for the job it'll have no problem installing it against your wishes and it appears that even DDU's struggling to stop this annoying issue anymore.

Patch alert: Microsoft Acknowledges Printer Bug; Forced 1709 Upgrades Continue

if Windows decides an older driver is the better driver for the job it'll have no problem installing it against your wishes
I have 6 systems within my home or owned by relatives running Windows 10, plus over 100 deployed in the corporate environment, and I've never had Windows install a driver over one I had installed already, that was newer. The only time I've had Windows 10 automatically install a driver is if Windows Update found a newer version, or if a piece of hardware didn't have a driver installed.

I have 6 systems within my home or owned by relatives running Windows 10, plus over 100 deployed in the corporate environment, and I've never had Windows install a driver over one I had installed already, that was newer. The only time I've had Windows 10 automatically install a driver is if Windows Update found a newer version, or if a piece of hardware didn't have a driver installed.

Thank you. Windows updates was going to install the latest AMD Graphics driver despite it being disabled. However, that was strictly when I moved to the Windows Insider slow builds which I disabled and that went away. :) (I can imagine that the newer driver is probably needed with the newer builds.)

Oh, and in before the just because it does not happen to you does not mean it does not happen to others response. :D ;)

Nice isolated example. I manage hundreds of Windows 10 systems and I can assure you: If Windows thinks an unsuitable driver is the better driver, that's the driver it will install.

The attitude you people have is like some form of Stockholm Syndrome, a case of constant denial?! It's OK to point out Windows 10's flaws and complain loudly, that's the only way things change for the better.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I just did a clean install last night, and while ~mildly bothersome~, removing the apps I don't need only takes a few minutes.

As well, it takes about eight minutes to make Windows 10 very not install those things anyway.

We have one model of laptop, that ONE app doesn't like the nVidia driver that Windows Update deploys (which is fairly recent). For these, which are an uncommon deployment, we deploy it, wait until the user tells us the app doesn't work right, then we roll the driver back and use the official Windows 10 Driver Update blocker on it. We then remind that department's manager that they really need to update that app.

We actually took a very relaxed approach to it at work. I have a list of drivers that Windows Update just doesn't have (Intel Chipset Utility, I'm looking at you), and I have those installed with scripts. The rest, I just let WU handle.

I just did a clean install last night, and while ~mildly bothersome~, removing the apps I don't need only takes a few minutes.

As well, it takes about eight minutes to make Windows 10 very not install those things anyway.

You shouldn't need to uninstall anything - It's a PC, not a phone.

The OS should run silently and unobtrusively in the background. It's OK to yell and let MS know that Candy Crush on a fresh install of Windows is unacceptable, the [H] rules don't state 'thee must defend Microsoft at all costs'....

Last edited:
We have one model of laptop, that ONE app doesn't like the nVidia driver that Windows Update deploys (which is fairly recent). For these, which are an uncommon deployment, we deploy it, wait until the user tells us the app doesn't work right, then we roll the driver back and use the official Windows 10 Driver Update blocker on it. We then remind that department's manager that they really need to update that app.

That Windows driver update blocker is the most useless application 'that should be a part of the OS' I've ever used, it's effectiveness is so hit and miss it's just ridiculous.

I can't believe you have to use a separate tool to block driver updates....:rolleyes:

I knew I was on to something when I removed the Win10 SSD from my computer. I haven't found temptation yet to put it back. I did install an old Win7 image as a virtual machine to my linux, partly to see how well it plays together with KVM.

My daily computing happens very pleasantly using OSX and linux. I chuckle at people still dragging with Windows and asking for help for Microsoft induced problems :D

Nice isolated example. I manage hundreds of Windows 10 systems and I can assure you: If Windows thinks an unsuitable driver is the better driver, that's the driver it will install.
I can assure you that you are 100% incorrect. When we had to battle incompatibilities between certain Intel WiFi drivers and Cisco WAPs, we could install any revision we wanted without having Windows try to install anything else.

Isolated example, my arse.

I knew I was on to something when I removed the Win10 SSD from my computer. I haven't found temptation yet to put it back. I did install an old Win7 image as a virtual machine to my linux, partly to see how well it plays together with KVM.

My daily computing happens very pleasantly using OSX and linux. I chuckle at people still dragging with Windows and asking for help for Microsoft induced problems :D

Which pretty much makes you incapable of [H]. :D I prefer to help people and keep my biases out of the picture, period. :) You clearly have already forgotten what this thread is actually all about, optimizing Windows 10, not preaching your non [H] point of view. :D

Edit: Remove yourself from Windows 10 threads and the process will be complete. :D Just one more step to go, I am sure OSX will help you do that. ;)

We actually took a very relaxed approach to it at work. I have a list of drivers that Windows Update just doesn't have (Intel Chipset Utility, I'm looking at you), and I have those installed with scripts. The rest, I just let WU handle.

Thanks for reminding me of the driver update blocker, I had forgotten all about that.

I can assure you that you are 100% incorrect. When we had to battle incompatibilities between certain Intel WiFi drivers and Cisco WAPs, we could install any revision we wanted without having Windows try to install anything else.

Isolated example, my arse.

'We'?! Who's 'we'?

Please tell me you're not using a locked down, isolated and heavily controlled corporate IT environment as an example here?

I'm tipping you are. Because flat out, what you are describing is rubbish - Especially under Windows 10 Home.

'We'?! Who's 'we'?

Please tell me you're not using a locked down, isolated and heavily controlled corporate IT environment as an example here?

I'm tipping you are. Because flat out, what you are describing is rubbish - Especially under Windows 10 Home.
Oh look, another troll who thinks his minimal experience trumps others actual, legitimate experience because he's armed with *drum roll* an opinion.

Home? Thank you for proving my point. I don't use Home, kiddo.

Oh look, another troll who thinks his minimal experience trumps others actual, legitimate experience because he's armed with *drum roll* an opinion.

Home? Thank you for proving my point. I don't use Home, kiddo.

Righto...

You're calling me a troll with a post like that?

Yes. Your trolling has been well documented. Why not make good on your PM threats and block me? Then I won't have to read your nonsense that has caused multiple threads to be closed and return to helping people (checks post count), kiddo.

Yes. Your trolling has been well documented. Why not make good on your PM threats and block me? Then I won't have to read your nonsense that has caused multiple threads to be closed and return to helping people (checks post count), kiddo.

What?!

If I block you, I won't see your posts - It's not the other way around I'm afraid.

I never threatened you, I offered you an option that you believed wasn't a solution for some predictable but obscure reason. As stated in PM, if you're offended by my posts you always have the option to block me.

Good, then I'm glad you will be able to see my posts. You'll likely end up learning something you can apply going forward. As stated in your PMs, which have been saved, you offered "solutions" that weren't helpful or relevant to what OPs have been asking.

You can twist and rationalize all you want, even borrow the excuse that I'm hindering your right to free speech. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Thing is, you haven't been here long. We've get a handful of users like you each year. You act and respond EXACTLY as they do...until they are bounced out for trolling. You fit the mold to a T. To...a...T.

The more you try to justify yourself and rationalize your behavior, the more you follow down the same path as all the trolls before. So carry on, I say, kiddo. Keep getting threads closed, and you won't be around much long.

Good, then I'm glad you will be able to see my posts. You'll likely end up learning something you can apply going forward. As stated in your PMs, which have been saved, you offered "solutions" that weren't helpful or relevant to what OPs have been asking.

You can twist and rationalize all you want, even borrow the excuse that I'm hindering your right to free speech. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Thing is, you haven't been here long. We've get a handful of users like you each year. You act and respond EXACTLY as they do...until they are bounced out for trolling. You fit the mold to a T. To...a...T.

The more you try to justify yourself and rationalize your behavior, the more you follow down the same path as all the trolls before. So carry on, I say, kiddo. Keep getting threads closed, and you won't be around much long.

You're waffling now, flat out ranting random garbage. This was your reply in PM when I suggested you could add me to your block list - Don't try to twist the argument around:

To quote yourself in PM:

I don't block people because I'm not 10 years old and this isn't Facebook.

The only person trying to rationalize anything here is yourself while you're going off topic attacking me as opposed to participating in discussion in a mature manner. Discussion evolves around a central topic and people are pretty much free to discuss from any angle they like - Seriously, both of you just need to get over it.

If Pendragon disapproves of the angle this discussion has taken, lock the damn thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back