Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Edition is a winner for power users

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DPI, Nov 6, 2015.

1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Those are still there as they don't have anything to with store apps. The Alarms and Clock and Calendar apps I think are actually useful, one thing Windows never had as a built in timer app which Alarms and Clock provides.

2. craigdt

craigdt Gawd

Is there any downside to using LTSB as a ln everyday rug for gaming/mining/plex/streaming etc?

I basically want Windows 10 without the bs, but don't want it to bite me in the future

3. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed [H]ard|Gawd

Yes there is, it's only available under Windows 10 Enterprise, so short of piracy it's not really a realistic option for almost all users.

4. AltTabbins

AltTabbins Muh Feelz Got [H]urt Right in the Pussy

Dx12 support and no windows store for microsoft games like gears of war. Also as mentioned, you need an license agreement not available to the public. Pirating an operating system is probably the 2nd stupidest thing to pirate with the first being just downloading a keylogger.

5. craigdt

craigdt Gawd

You are saying LTSB doesn't support dx12?

6. AltTabbins

It doesn’t. Last I heard a few months ago.

7. jyi786

jyi786 [H]ardness Supreme

Don't know where you heard that, but LTSB definitely does support DX12. I just got finished playing a round of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided on DX12.

Just for kicks I also installed 3DMark TimeSpy, which is a DX12 benchmark, and that runs just fine as well.

8. AltTabbins

Heh, I guess I read wrong. My bad.

9. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

DX12 is a gimmick anyway.

qb4ever likes this.
  10. jyi786

Without me trying to derail the thread, it might be overall. But when I switched back and forth between it and DX11, it sure feels like it was overall much smoother. Less hitches and jank.

11. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Relative to Vulkan, which is really what every engine should be pushing for, it is a bit of a gimmick, but on its own it's solid and comparable as a technology. It's just limited to Windows 10 and that makes cross-platform stuff harder.

12. Morlock

Morlock Limp Gawd

Because...?

13. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

dur
    They tend to come preloaded with unknown extras.

14. Morlock

Morlock Limp Gawd

Bah, not worried about that.

I mean for one thing, you can just go with an activator, way easier to screen something that small for problems.

15. jyi786

Back on topic.

I tried to convince myself that LTSB wasn't the way to go. So I made a complete image of my perfectly working LTSB install and used MSMG to create a "slimmed-down" version of the Windows 10 Pro Creator's Update ISO. Removed all the bloat, formatted my drive, and did a clean install.

And WOW. What an unbridled disaster it is. On the surface, it can be just as functional, if not more functional, than LTSB. But it's freaking bugs galore. I'm talking simple OS level stuff like DPI broken/wonky, Windows Explorer thumbnails broken (black corruption around rendered folder icons), screen jits/resets (without any errors), etc. Mind you, each one of these issues have had no real fix from Microsoft after a long time of them being reported. And it's certainly not drivers, given the fact that it's all the same as before. The only change being the OS.

After 2 hours of trying to put up with it, I wiped and restored my system image, and back to bliss. Everything just works in LTSB.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  16. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

The Creators Update has been reported by many to be just straight up garbage.. I don't care what the defenders in [H] will say.... [H] is a small sample size, compared to all the other complaints out there..

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  17. jyi786

I'd be willing to give MS the benefit of the doubt...but I just couldn't. It was that freaking bad, and I'm not exaggerating. Simple things like corruption in Explorer thumbnails right out the gate of a clean install??? Sorry, not on my rig.

18. chrcoluk

chrcoluk [H]ard|Gawd

There was a guy selling the licenses on the itialian ebay, I brought one and it activated fine. It seemed suspicous because he was providing his own hosted iso file, which obviously had me wondering if it had some kind of activation hack, but I activated it on a legit microsoft iso.

However he is now gone from ebay.

Aside from potential legal issues, it is a feature frozen version of windows 10, the full enterprise lets you choose the branch to use, these LTSB versions, you are locked to the LTSB branch. This is good or bad depending on what you want, the updates should work like windows 8.1 where its bug fixes and security patches only, so there should be none of those large feature updates which reinstall the OS. No MS store or cortana by default, can set telemetry to basic, can disable automatic updates and automatic reboots, however its still hard to pick and choose updates, you have to use that external tool microsoft made for that.

The latest LTSB is from 2016, so the latest security enhancements are missing from it, that gamer ultimate mode is missing and I think some updates related to HDR displays. But of course it has newer features than windows 8.1.

19. AltTabbins

Windows 8.1 is a great option that a lot of people forget about. It got a lot of flack in its time but in retrospect, after using windows 10 for a while, 8.1 really wasn’t that bad. It’s probably the closest thing to 10 LTSB.

jyi786 likes this.
  20. IdiotInCharge

If you run a start menu replacement, you'd never know in daily usage- took me years to see the W10 interface because my Start8 install ported over upon upgrade and continued to function seamlessly :D

21. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

I'm content sitting on the 2015 LTSB for now. Pretty much everything works-ish. Few hassles.

So I'm content to forego the 2016 LTSB and wait for the next one to emerge.

22. jyi786

This is the truth. I have had my copy in a VM for the last 4 years, and it's had zero issues.

2016 LTSB is what I'm on now. With the Classic Shell Start Menu replacement, it's literally perfect.

23. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

This is because Microsoft has knowingly embedded key system parts to spy/ad components with the intention of breaking the system if someone tries to remove them.

24. Hagrid

Hagrid Kyle's Boo

hotfuzzgreatergood.jpg

How much of this is still left in enterprise? If some business's have to be hippa compliant, would that not break it?

Mazzspeed likes this.
  25. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

You're 100% wrong. You cannot "fully uninstall Cortana, Edge, the Store" and everything else I listed post-installation, with powershell or GPEDIT. I've tested it in FCU Pro, both with powershell and GPEDIT. Cannot be done, and you're welcome to prove me wrong with the exact steps. Be specific or FOH.

upload_2018-3-2_21-16-29.png

Again, I am talking about uninstalling cortana, edge, xbox, the windows 10 appstore and all the other preinstalled crapware so that no files remain, and no processes are lurking and transmitting to Microsoft.

Regardless, trying to get rid of all that garbage post-install is like trying to un-spill paint - by all means, knock yourself out if your time is worthless. Far better to rip it all out of by the roots pre-installation from the ISO.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  26. jyi786

Yep, this has been my experience. You cannot completely uninstall it after the fact. Only way to do it is via MSMG post deploy, or however you want to modify the ISO to rip all that trash out. Doesn't matter since it's buggy to all hell anyway.

27. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Enterprise cannot be made emission-free at any telemetry setting, and Microsoft has refused to disclose a list of the datapoints transmitted at the "lowest" [0] Security data collection setting.

28. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Gawd

The only sure way to block the telemetry is via Firewall. I'm tempted to install wireshark and just observe the behaviors in different situations, but I know this would be very time consuming to be thorough.

x509 likes this.
  29. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

"Evaluation" for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 is out

chaikovski2002 and IdiotInCharge like this.
  30. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

"Located" a copy of the real deal :)
    Classic Shell still works also.. best of both worlds.

LTSC.PNG

chaikovski2002 and IdiotInCharge like this.
  31. IdiotInCharge

I'd like to run this on my desktop at some point...

32. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

what is the real advantage?

33. IdiotInCharge

Have you read the thread from the beginning?

[asking honestly]

Mazzspeed likes this.
  34. Frobozz

Frobozz [H]ard|Gawd

I've gotten a little lost on what's really real and what's pre-release... Do I need to talk to our enterprise media meister at work to fetch an ISO for 2019 and poke the KMS server, or is it still baking?

35. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

It's been on the volume licensing site since the 2nd.

Frobozz likes this.
  36. InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter I Don't Know How to Make Threads

Are you certain the "real deal" is posted? Your screenshot shows it's based on version 1809, which is the release that was pulled from mainstream Windows 10...

37. IdiotInCharge

The LTSB and now LTSC releases are pulled from mainstream Windows 10. I'd certainly like to be able to run the 1809 LTSC on my desktop!

38. jlbenedict

jlbenedict [H]ard|Gawd

I downloaded it before it was pulled. Not sure if the "fix" is re-released as of yet..
    Installed in a VM for now... haven't had a chance to put it on my desktop as of the moment..

39. Executioner

Executioner Limp Gawd

What is the difference between the LTSB and LTSC?

40. IdiotInCharge

LTSC is the new LTSB. From 'Branch' to 'Channel'. Same basic idea.

So the last version was Windows 10 LTSB 1607, and the new (current) version is Windows 10 LTSC 1809.