Windows 10 Creators Update

Anyone else experiencing this now?

I have attached a photo. Both options circled in red do not work. I can click on them but nothing happens.

Yeah, the second option just opens up UAC for me but doesn't seem to do anything. I assume it's elevating privileges but for what I have no idea.

I have UAC notification turned off on my system. Not sure if that is effecting it or not. Shouldn't matter. Appears there is a problem there and MS may need to fix a bug or two. Surprising that something like this got past the testing.

EDIT:
On my laptop advanced settings is broken too. It will open the troubleshooter however whereas the Ryzen desktop system won't open either of those two.

Nope, if people could lay off the hysterics for a moment. He said he when through the settings screens in the initial set and they the settings still defaulted. That shouldn't have happened. Regardless of how one feels about the subject if you turned the stuff in the initial settings there's no way it should have still been on after initial setup.

No, what I said was settings that had absolutely NOTHING to do with that 110% worthless Setup screen were reset to their defaults. For example I don't recall Camera or Microphone settings being part of the Creator's Update setup screen yet they were turned back ON. I had set them to OFF on BOTH machines. Yet, they were magically enabled after the Creator's Update. Not OK in any way.

The fact that there is that is even a setup screen which defaults back to settings I DON'T FUCKING WANT and already fucking changed is beyond bullshit. I don't want fucking Cortana. That bitch can rot in hell. I don't want spyware telemetry on "recommended". I could go on but preaching to the MFP, as DPI said, is a waste of time.

Bottom line is MS isn't respecting a users preferences in any way shape or form (nothing we didn't already know honestly). The fact that settings are being changed without permission and the fact that there's even a Setup screen proves that yet again. If a users preferences were important to MS then absolutely NOTHING would change (which sadly hasn't been the case since day 1) and there would be NO setup screen (again sadly that hasn't been the case since day one).

Anyone noticed that after applying the update, your CPU doesn't boost up to your oc'ed speed any more?

MIne used to boost to 5.0 now it doesnt.

No, what I said was settings that had absolutely NOTHING to do with that 110% worthless Setup screen were reset to their defaults. For example I don't recall Camera or Microphone settings being part of the Creator's Update setup screen yet they were turned back ON. I had set them to OFF on BOTH machines. Yet, they were magically enabled after the Creator's Update. Not OK in any way.

The fact that there is that is even a setup screen which defaults back to settings I DON'T FUCKING WANT and already fucking changed is beyond bullshit. I don't want fucking Cortana. That bitch can rot in hell. I don't want spyware telemetry on "recommended". I could go on but preaching to the MFP, as DPI said, is a waste of time.

Bottom line is MS isn't respecting a users preferences in any way shape or form (nothing we didn't already know honestly). The fact that settings are being changed without permission and the fact that there's even a Setup screen proves that yet again. If a users preferences were important to MS then absolutely NOTHING would change (which sadly hasn't been the case since day 1) and there would be NO setup screen (again sadly that hasn't been the case since day one).

Thanks, was just trying to figure our what is going on here because I've heard your story about defaults getting reset and I've heard others say that didn't happen. Apparently there's a difference in how this works depending on how the CU is installed: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/creators-update-privacy-settings-upgrade,34093.html

how is the new Game Mode?

Its like using the old Readyboost feature AND downloading more RAM at the same time. Huge improvement.

It's so good that sometimes your games will actually loop back around on themselves and look slower, that's why you have to set it on a per game basis. Just check under the placebos tab in settings.

Thanks, was just trying to figure our what is going on here because I've heard your story about defaults getting reset and I've heard others say that didn't happen. Apparently there's a difference in how this works depending on how the CU is installed: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/creators-update-privacy-settings-upgrade,34093.html

Wow...that's fucking dumb. Well I know 1703 is starting to roll out to the computers at work naturally so I'll be damn sure watching closely to see if anything changes against my will.

Cold booted my system this morning and the NVidia driver would not stay in 4:4:4 chroma though that was plainly what was selected in the drop downs. I had to put it into RGB and then back to YCBCR 4:4:4 in order to get it to switch over and work. First time I've seen that behavior ever so that is no coincidence that the creator's update was loaded last night and then now this.

I can't seem to get nvidia dsr to work. The options are checked in nvidia control panel but in game, I can't select resolutions higher than native.

Edit: once the dsr factors are set in the nvidia control panel, the pc needs to be rebooted for it to work.

Last edited:
I use a program called Synergy to share my mouse and keyboard between my desktop and work laptop - after the update Synergy is a broke-ass mess. The mouse is jittery and unresponsive on the controlled machine.

Aside from that, no other issues so far. Will test out some games later today to see if there's any performance difference with this new "game mode" feature.

Cold booted my system this morning and the NVidia driver would not stay in 4:4:4 chroma though that was plainly what was selected in the drop downs. I had to put it into RGB and then back to YCBCR 4:4:4 in order to get it to switch over and work. First time I've seen that behavior ever so that is no coincidence that the creator's update was loaded last night and then now this.

It's related to their new driver model and Microsoft's implementation of HDR on the desktop. It breaks all sorts of things related to color spaces and especially normal HDR functionality.
If you go back to their previous driver (378.92) you'll be better off for now.

It's related to their new driver model and Microsoft's implementation of HDR on the desktop. It breaks all sorts of things related to color spaces and especially normal HDR functionality.
If you go back to their previous driver (378.92) you'll be better off for now.

Except Windows update will keep trying to update back to the latest Nvidia driver once you've rolled back....

Except Windows update will keep trying to update back to the latest Nvidia driver once you've rolled back....

No need to use the rollback function - just install the older drivers on top of the new ones. They'll stick. You can even keep the newer audio, PhysX, etc. drivers if you like, too.

No need to use the rollback function - just install the older drivers on top of the new ones. They'll stick. You can even keep the newer audio, PhysX, etc. drivers if you like, too.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going here with some folks, I've installed older drivers over newer ones and even NVidia supplied drivers over the Microsoft ones for my Surface Book and never had Windows Update override them. Again, like with settings sticking in the CU which should work, at least for the most part, there's clearly different experiences going on and it is kind of confusing.

Over at Nvidia there's a 31 page page thread filled with people having various issues. HDR is a common one, but there are also people getting blue screens with specific games and certain laptops that are having confirmed issues as well. Some of it can obviously be disregarded, but that's a lot of large issues for an updated driver. I'm not sure whether it's Nvidia, Microsoft, or some combination of the two. Either way, it does seem awfully buggy for a WHQL driver and an update they've been testing for something like 5 months.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ay-driver-feedback-thread-released-4-6-17-/1/

What random behavior is this bullcrap. I started my system this morning and had to do the usual switch from YCBCR 444 -> RGB -> YCBCR 444 to get the display in the proper mode.

Started the system back up at lunch and it just suddenly wants to work properly and went straight into YCBCR 444. Didn't have to flip the box back and forth in the driver.

I'm tempted to just deal with it and wait for a bug fix to be released vs. monkeying around with going back to older drivers. I'm not real impressed with all these issues considering how long they've been working on this update. Broken dialog boxes? Messed up gfx drivers? Dumb.

Nvidia's latest driver is for Creators Update and it's WHQL certified, too. They're claiming that MS's new driver model (WDDM 2.2) is to blame for issues, but it's not like they haven't had access to that for months.

I upgraded early and it's terrible... everything appears to be working correctly... except now my case's power light pulses like it's in sleep mode instead of being fully powered on. hahaha I don't know how long it has been like that, but I just noticed it today. I installed the update this weekend, surprisingly there were no issues (video drivers even came along!), but now I notice the power LED slowly pulsing like I'm in sleep mode!

Wow...that's fucking dumb. Well I know 1703 is starting to roll out to the computers at work naturally so I'll be damn sure watching closely to see if anything changes against my will.
Is this a small or large business? Do the computers get updates from an IT-administered update server or do they get updates straight through the internet from Microsoft? I'm scared to deploy the feature updates to machines because of how long it takes and people at work really don't have time for that.

I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox a few days ago and haven't had the black screen issue again. Seems to be either a FF issue or an Nvidia issue (I am running latest of both).

I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox a few days ago and haven't had the black screen issue again. Seems to be either a FF issue or an Nvidia issue (I am running latest of both).

What GPU? I've run FF a lot since you mentioned this and it's working fine for me with the 381.65 drivers on my sig rig?

I upgraded early and it's terrible... everything appears to be working correctly... except now my case's power light pulses like it's in sleep mode instead of being fully powered on. hahaha I don't know how long it has been like that, but I just noticed it today. I installed the update this weekend, surprisingly there were no issues (video drivers even came along!), but now I notice the power LED slowly pulsing like I'm in sleep mode!

Is this a small or large business? Do the computers get updates from an IT-administered update server or do they get updates straight through the internet from Microsoft? I'm scared to deploy the feature updates to machines because of how long it takes and people at work really don't have time for that.
that would usually be a bios thing. I don't think windows has any control over the case leds

What GPU? I've run FF a lot since you mentioned this and it's working fine for me with the 381.65 drivers on my sig rig?
770. And remember, I only saw it on yahoo.com, multiple times. I'll turn HA back on and see what happens.

Last edited:
FYI, if you run Malwarebytes + CU there is a new version that fixes one little bugaboo:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/

Malwarebytes 3.0.6.1469 CU4.1 changelog:

There is only one fix in this Component Package Update

• Fixed the issue in Windows 10 Creators Update where installing Malwarebytes could cause Windows Defender to become disabled
For reference, the other fixes included in the previous component package 1.0.96 (and folded into 1.0.103) were:

• Fixed issue where real-time protection modules do not enable correctly
  • Note that you may need to reboot or manually restart a protection that appears "stuck" one more time after the update is applied. Those who still have this issue should continue to work with us directly, as these cases are likely caused by conflicts with other security products.
  • Fixed Bad Pool Header BSOD while web browsing
  • Fixed issue that could cause user to have to login with a temporary profile instead of their standard user profile
  • Additional enhancements to improve memory usage
  • Fixed issue where 3.0.5 could revert to version 3.0.0 in certain conditions
  • Fixed numerous crashes, including service crashes
  • Addressed several vulnerabilities
  • The Web Protection block page now redirects to https://block.malwarebytes.com
  • Fixed issue where Web Protection would not re-enable properly after booting back from minimal safe mode on Vista
  • Numerous enhancements to overall protection and remediation

Is there a staggered release of the creators update?

My acer SFF (revo-one) is stuck on 1511, and the updater doesn't see anything new...

Is there a staggered release of the creators update?

My acer SFF (revo-one) is stuck on 1511, and the updater doesn't see anything new...

The release is staggered and it will take months for all the updates to be completed. Hope this helps.

This update is causing all sorts of issues for me. I'm getting graphics issues in games that I've never even seen before, Corsair Link is bugged out and ramping my CPU pump all over the place all while sending ridiculous amount to network traffic to who knows where, some of the new features the update added to Windows just fail and crash (Mail), I'm not impressed.

Nice, updated to this shit today and games no longer work. Latest Radeon software installed and reinstalled, but nothing can find a display device even though it's installed and "working". Failed to create a graphics device. Lovely.

Nice, updated to this shit today and games no longer work. Latest Radeon software installed and reinstalled, but nothing can find a display device even though it's installed and "working". Failed to create a graphics device. Lovely.
that's weird. haven't had that prob after multiple updates from the insider program. try ddu and reinstall 17.4.2(cu update)

that's weird. haven't had that prob after multiple updates from the insider program. try ddu and reinstall 17.4.2(cu update)

I used DDU and reinstalled 17.4.2, didn't fix it. DDU again and installed 17.3.3, everything works fine now. Might be a bug with the 290X, my wife's machine has a 390X and works great with CU and 17.4.2. Whenever I get time, I think I'll just wipe it and do a fresh install.

I updated a machine for a friend over the weekend to CU. He is running the Premium Malwarebytes and Windows Defender indeed said it was turned off, Malwarebytes had taken over as the default AV program. Even installing the updated version of Malwarebytes didn't initally fix it. Had to completely uninstall Malwarebytes, reboot, re-install Malwarebytes. That allowed Windows to turn the Defender back on. Only took a few minutes so no biggie, just a little annoying. No other issues so far.

Welp I figured out my issue. The update reactivated GameDVR in the Xbox app. Shady.

I used DDU and reinstalled 17.4.2, didn't fix it. DDU again and installed 17.3.3, everything works fine now. Might be a bug with the 290X, my wife's machine has a 390X and works great with CU and 17.4.2. Whenever I get time, I think I'll just wipe it and do a fresh install.
yeah I had that happen once with an old 7770. had to install an older version then update to the newest otherwise the screen would flash. id try to install the 17.4.2 again(just as upgrade not clean install) as they are specifically for the cu. glad you got it going

Welp I figured out my issue. The update reactivated GameDVR in the Xbox app. Shady.

Does that just mess up games in the Xbox app, or all games like from Steam or Origin?

I've been having a lot of random problems too, but outside the Xbox app. Guess I should check that setting when I get home.

Creator's update: My experience. Like a god damn brand new reinstall. F MS.

Max speed displayed by performance in task manager is 4.96 Ghz. Every other program notes 5.0. It's a bug. I cranked the performance to min 100% and it won't go. CPU Z, E-LEET report 5.0 along with a host of other test programs so blame windows.

It updated all my drivers; this sucks because it reverted my nvidia drivers. This borks my 2nd monitor because I require a custom EDID to get it working else it's detected as a TV which lines it up all wrong on the screen despite the correct resolution.

Driver installs for unsigned drivers still require a reboot into a unsigned mode.

Lost my monitor calibration, will have to wait till monday to get my calibrator at work to fix this shit.

Stupid reg keys for "removable" drives returns (double drives appearing in explorer)

Cortana turned on again for some reason... off you go hide in that corner don't come back please.

Sound card settings were tossed out the window, had to configure everything again.

Why the hell did my codecs get uninstalled? WTF kind of OS update does that.

Game mode shortkey failed to work with Quake Champions, weekend test ended so couldn't test it further. (But it works for Firefox, I mean seriously this is dumb, sure why not, browsers are games...)

Still no real start menu organization outside their tile system. You can remove the list, but I don't like tiles on my KB/Mouse system.

Control Panel is hidden further. WTF Microsoft??? I'm no fan of settings as it feels like an apple oversimplification. This made my diagnosting hunting of why my killer nic a bit annoying. I ended up rebooting to fix it, but I would have wanted to try a disable/enable at least instead of just reaching a "status" window.

I had a ridiculous amount of windows temp/update files after the update. It indicated I had 86GB of files. This is a bit unacceptable to store this stuff on my m.2 drive. Changed temp locations, deleted it. Not really caring if this install gets wrecked but so far its working.

Back