Windows 10 Creators Update

Ill wait for April 11th
How is the blue light reduction feature?
it works fine but I dont really use it as my system is setup like a htpc. these are the setting it gives:
upload_2017-4-1_10-33-7.png

I've started upgrading my home machines with an ISO I made from the ESD, since they already have the first CU for 15063.

So far situation normal, this update is far less jarring than 1607 was. I'm probably gonna be ok without Control Panel being immediately available, but command prompt.. not so sure. The idea at this point is to *try* to avoid opening it unless I absolutely have to. We'll see MS.. We'll see...

I tried out Night Light, and it wasn't nearly as pronounced as macOS's version. I wasn't even sure it was working until I played with the color temperature slider.

I'm probably gonna be ok without Control Panel being immediately available, but command prompt.. not so sure
you can change that in settings
upload_2017-4-1_11-19-31.png

edit: and I just pinned control panel to my start menu, no more typing

I installed the insider preview 1703 onto a secondary machine that had normal Win 10 on it and it was activated fine and looks totally legit. New update came out pushing up the version a little bit. I'll hold off upgrading my main machine until I get "official" official ISOs.

you can change that in settings

edit: and I just pinned control panel to my start menu, no more typing
Well yeah I know. The idea is MS thinks I should not need them and more as a test to myself (and since I do deployments at work, my users) I'm seeing if it's possible to actually survive day-to-day without them being readily accessible.

I'm pretty sure they "survive" once they get used to it.

They shouldn't have to get used to anything. MS is pushing a touch interface onto it's mainstream desktop OS and you're defending them? That's the only reason you'd remove simple access to the CP and CMD prompt.

Windows 10, I give it another 10 years at the rate MS are destroying the desktop experience.

Hey MS, stop spamming free apps and crap to me in Ent version!! There is a fix you can add...

They shouldn't have to get used to anything. MS is pushing a touch interface onto it's mainstream desktop OS and you're defending them? That's the only reason you'd remove simple access to the CP and CMD prompt.

Windows 10, I give it another 10 years at the rate MS are destroying the desktop experience.

both are easily accessible..

Windows key , type cmd = done (same going back to Vista almost)
Control panel, right click start button, control panel..... vs Windows 7 left click start / control panel

OH THE HORROR!

both are easily accessible..

Windows key , type cmd = done (same going back to Vista almost)
Control panel, right click start button, control panel..... vs Windows 7 left click start / control panel

OH THE HORROR!

You missed the point.

that makes no sense at all and is arguing for the sake of arguing! lol "people shouldnt have to get used to new things" is idiotic. think about that for a second....

that makes no sense at all and is arguing for the sake of arguing! lol "people shouldnt have to get used to new things" is idiotic. think about that for a second....
While I agree with him that we shouldn't have to use a touch interface on desktop computers, I think the reason is to ease software development and unify OSes so desktop and mobile are identical.

The way Microsoft handles the unification works, but like anything else it could be better.

You missed the point.

Which i presume was:

MS is pushing a touch interface onto it's mainstream desktop OS and you're defending them? ....

Thus my response was to show that while they are going more towards a touch friendly OS, both items you listed as a comparison, are still easily accessible. Windows 10 works on the desktop, as did Windows 8.1 once Metro was ignored, it was no different than 7 in day to day usage.

Which i presume was:

Thus my response was to show that while they are going more towards a touch friendly OS, both items you listed as a comparison, are still easily accessible. Windows 10 works on the desktop, as did Windows 8.1 once Metro was ignored, it was no different than 7 in day to day usage.

I like the fact that the settings are now part of the right click menu. I have gotten to the point of using the right click menu, I use it in Windows 7 as well before I realize what I am doing. :D

the people that are complaining about the right click menu no longer appearing on the Start Menu why not just save the ones you use most as shortcuts on your tile section of the Start menu?...that's what I do...

Attachments

• w10.jpg
    w10.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 38
Ill wait for April 11th
How is the blue light reduction feature?

I have it set for sunset. The first time I set it, I completely forgot about it. I thought something was seriously wrong with my display or GPU. Yikes. Now, it's just normal. I'd like to see it take longer as it adjusts instead of ~1-2 seconds. If it slowly (15-30 seconds) adjusted, it wouldn't be noticeable.

Which i presume was:

My opinion differs to yours as I believe a touch OS has no place on a desktop machine. Change when it's beneficial is welcomed, change for the sake of change all the while taking an obvious step backwards is unwarranted and highlights too much input from the marketing department.

Right click > CP, Right click > CMD. I like it that way and as the owner of my PC it should be my choice as to whether it stays that way.

so then flip the switch and a make a short cut. then its right click > cmd and left click > cp. not so hard. the touch thing is because therer is a huge selection of touch interface aios and laptops. you also don't have to use it. touch functions can also be turned off.

so then flip the switch and a make a short cut. then its right click > cmd and left click > cp. not so hard. the touch thing is because therer is a huge selection of touch interface aios and laptops. you also don't have to use it. touch functions can also be turned off.

The settings panel can be turned off?

Look. If you like Windows 10, if you like the direction Microsoft is headed, fine.

However, just using the settings panel as an example. I find it to be less intuitive than the Control Panel and largely unnessecary, we now have two panels that essentially do the same thing with a fragmented and confusing interface. Why do we have two panels that do essentially the same thing? Because Microsoft are turning Windows into a touch OS, on a desktop device that utilises a superior keyboard and mouse as human interaction devices.

It's obvious by means of it's layout/design that the settings panel is intended for interaction primarily by fat fingers and a touch interface, it's also obvious that Microsoft intend for the desktop platform to become a touch platform due to the fact that it's the Control Panel that's slowly being pushed back/phased out. If you like smashing your greasy fingers against the display of your desktop PC, if you prefer the blocky touch oriented design of touch applications all over your desktop, than defend away.

However I can assure you that you are the minority and the obvious phasing out of the traditional desktop OS is my point, not the unnessecary need to pin shortcuts everywhere as a result of the transition to a purely touch desktop experience.

There should be an option on Windows install whereby you can select desktop interface, touch interface or a mishmash of both - Yet Microsoft seem incapable of implementing such a feature?

Flux is garbage it resets your presets for your Nvidia card so the brightness is just there but masked off with Flux so basically you are still looking at a bright screen. If this update can keep your setting without throwing your Nviida profile out the window I would be happy.

The settings panel can be turned off?

Look. If you like Windows 10, if you like the direction Microsoft is headed, fine.

However, just using the settings panel as an example. I find it to be less intuitive than the Control Panel and largely unnessecary, we now have two panels that essentially do the same thing with a fragmented and confusing interface. Why do we have two panels that do essentially the same thing? Because Microsoft are turning Windows into a touch OS, on a desktop device that utilises a superior keyboard and mouse as human interaction devices.

It's obvious by means of it's layout/design that the settings panel is intended for interaction primarily by fat fingers and a touch interface, it's also obvious that Microsoft intend for the desktop platform to become a touch platform due to the fact that it's the Control Panel that's slowly being pushed back/phased out. If you like smashing your greasy fingers against the display of your desktop PC, if you prefer the blocky touch oriented design of touch applications all over your desktop, than defend away.

However I can assure you that you are the minority and the obvious phasing out of the traditional desktop OS is my point, not the unnessecary need to pin shortcuts everywhere as a result of the transition to a purely touch desktop experience.

There should be an option on Windows install whereby you can select desktop interface, touch interface or a mishmash of both - Yet Microsoft seem incapable of implementing such a feature?
have you even tried installing ten recently? if you install on a desktop you get desktop mode, on an aio or touch laptop you can choose or turn touch features off/on in settings or control panel. your issues are really non-issues. have you been using the exact same os for 15 years? or have you installed and gotten used to new os's? same thing going on with 10. control panel is still there and fully functional. you either just type it in search or run and then pin it to make it quicker. your "issues" really are not that big which is why it seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. if you don't like win10 don't use it but stop bitching about it every chance you get. its gotten really old.
upload_2017-4-2_9-51-43.png

edit: speeling

Last edited:

This capability has been in Windows 10 since the first release:

TabletMode.png

This capability has been in Windows 10 since the first release:

View attachment 20989

No, tablet mode simply confuses the crap out of ordinary desktop users who inadvertently enable it. I want an option on install where I can have Windows 10 behave specifically as a desktop OS, like Windows 7. I don't want any of the touch interface at all, that includes the settings panel when we have a perfectly good control panel.

Last edited:
have you even tried installing ten recently? if you install on a desktop you get desktop mode, on an aio or touch laptop you can choose or turn touch features off/on in settings or control panel. your issues are really non-issues. have you been using the exact same os for 15 years? or have you installed and gotten used to new os's? same thing going on with 10. control panel is still there and fully functional. you either just type it in search or run and then pin it to make it quicker. your "issues" really are not that big which is why it seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing. if you don't like win10 don't use it but stop bitching about it every chance you get. its gotten really old.

edit: speeling

I install Windows 10 numerous times a day, I have a Windows 10 machine, I think you're confusing the fact that there's more to the touch interface than just active tiles all over the screen.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I don't believe any form of touch interface has any place on a desktop OS, that includes the settings panel muddled with the control panel in a mishmash of confusion and fragmentation for a great many users. You have an opinion, I too am entitled to an opposing opinion and will not blow hot air up the arse of Microsoft.

Change when necessary is a great thing, the settings panel however, is not necessary on a desktop OS. and I don't agree with Microsoft's fix whereby the Control Panel is further hidden in favour of the Settings Panel.

Why post a spoiler with a screenshot of the settings panel?

Why post a spoiler with a screenshot of the settings panel?
cause the pic is huge and I'm showing that the full fledge control panel is still there and easily accessible. despite what you seem to believe....
the settings panel is just a different way of accessing things. you cant seem to accept change and are so hung up on what you think is the correct way to do ms's os. give it a rest already. I done with this.

cause the pic is huge and I'm showing that the full fledge control panel is still there and easily accessible. despite what you seem to believe....
the settings panel is just a different way of accessing things. you cant seem to accept change and are so hung up on what you think is the correct way to do ms's os. give it a rest already. I done with this.

I never said the Control Panel could not be made easily accessible and desktop Windows does not need an alternate way to access OS settings and features, the fragmentation and duplication of features is pointless on the desktop.

Change is welcomed, where it's necessary and respects the wants and needs of it's users. I don't believe Windows 10 in it's current iteration respects either and the situation is only getting worse.

Last edited:
I do get the issues, windows updates, have to go into settings vs control panel

Go to your network adapter and double click your VPN connection, now it opens up a new window in Settings to connect there..

There does seem to be some duplication of items vs just cut and dry move to Settings for everything with alot of wasted white space or keep everything in the control panel.

I do get the issues, windows updates, have to go into settings vs control panel

Go to your network adapter and double click your VPN connection, now it opens up a new window in Settings to connect there..

There does seem to be some duplication of items vs just cut and dry move to Settings for everything with alot of wasted white space or keep everything in the control panel.

I agree. However, the settings panel is too stripped out, too simplistic with it's obscure for a desktop PC touch interface. The Control Panel works fine with a keyboard and mouse and change for the sake of change just isn't necessary.

You can have a touch OS, you can have a desktop OS, Apple do it just fine. But to mash it all together on a desktop of all things? No thank you.

You can have a touch OS, you can have a desktop OS, Apple do it just fine. But to mash it all together on a desktop of all things? No thank you.

People will disagree on the hybrid UI approach but there's really nothing about it in Windows 10 that precludes the average desktop user from using pretty much like Windows 7. And whatever one thinks about it, there is a lot of Windows touch enabled hardware being sold these days so it's no longer just about the desktop and keyboards and mice.

So, whenever there's a new build of Windows, I typically take that opportunity (excuse) to wipe my systems and rebuild them.

Since I just spun up a domain controller for my home network, that's giving me more reason to plan on a wipe & rebuild rather than an upgrade.

But, is there an update for Server planned with this? I'm not running 2016 as an LTSB at home(was that even an option?), and we're still limited to 2012 R2 at work while we wait for Veeam to update their agents for remote systems. If there's a 1703 build planned, I'll probably hold off and spin up a new DC before I move down the line. If it's just going to chug along as 1607, then I won't worry about it.

People will disagree on the hybrid UI approach but there's really nothing about it in Windows 10 that precludes the average desktop user from using pretty much like Windows 7. And whatever one thinks about it, there is a lot of Windows touch enabled hardware being sold these days so it's no longer just about the desktop and keyboards and mice.

No one disputed this fact. My point still stands that the OS needs an option on install allowing for a desktop install, touch install or mishmash of both.

The masses used to segregated desktop devices and touch devices are actually getting confused by the current mess and removing traditional desktop based applications for touch oriented applications isn't the correct path for a desktop system.

I'm not going to change my opinion so that's all I intend to say on the matter.

The masses used to segregated desktop devices and touch devices are actually getting confused by the current mess and removing traditional desktop based applications for touch oriented applications isn't the correct path for a desktop system.

Different people are going to have different experiences but I've not met anyone that was confused by Windows 10 coming from 7. It's not been an issue at the bank in the pilots and early upgrades we've done from what I've heard from the Windows 10 migration folks.

I'm not going to change my opinion so that's all I intend to say on the matter.

And that's fine, all I'm saying is what I've seen and heard with my own eyes and ears. We're in the process of migrating 200k+ devices for the next 3 years. If there are going to be problems with lots of confusion, well that is something we do look at in our testing. It's one reason why we didn't touch 8.x because there's little question that 8.x was more confusing for desktop users than 10. For all of the talk about the UI in 10, it's kind of amazing just how similar using it for desktop purposes for many, many tasks just isn't that different from 7.

I have the "Creators' Edition" installed.

I really haven't noticed any big changes, or problems.

The "night light" function was better with f.lux.

Of course, all the telemetry is back on.

But I can live with that, for now.

I have the "Creators' Edition" installed.

I really haven't noticed any big changes, or problems.

The "night light" function was better with f.lux.

Of course, all the telemetry is back on.

But I can live with that, for now.

There are a lot of options at the beginning of the install/upgrade that allow you to change many of the privacy settings. So they will start off based on the responses to the install. There's a lot of little things in this build, a lot of the bigger stuff really didn't make it in this build or isn't accessible without mixed reality hardware with is a good ways out still. This is a pretty comprehensive list of the changes: https://whatsonmypc.wordpress.com/2...hats-new-with-the-windows-10-creators-update/

The biggest one for me personally is tile folders. I know that a lot of people hate the Windows 10 Start Menu but I like it because of the insane amount of stuff that can be pinned to it and the tile folders make it much easier to organize.

TBH, I already liked Win 10. "Creators" hasn't done anything positive, or negative, to my experience.

Remember when using Windows was just a way to launch your programs? (Apps, for you Apple gen.)

Now Windows seems to be everything, and running programs that you want is secondary.

Still much better than the Apple ecosystem.

There are a lot of options at the beginning of the install/upgrade that allow you to change many of the privacy settings. So they will start off based on the responses to the install

I just did an install, about the only difference that I could see was the installer didn't try to be as underhanded and manipulative in relation to forcing the user to run a Microsoft account.

Back