Windows 10 Creators Update

So does this update, end up with another "Hi, we've updated a few things..." messsage? :)

So far so good! Running it on my sig rig without issue, performance is games is fantastic. No issues with drivers. I went to Station Drivers and downloaded the newest drivers for my RVE10, newest nvidia drivers, teamspeak working fine, logitech gaming software working fine. :)

Windows Defender history will not clear. It pops up UAC to hit yes but it doesn't do anything. Broke!

Windows Defender history will not clear. It pops up UAC to hit yes but it doesn't do anything. Broke!

Hmm mine seems to be fine? I'm also using Kaspersky 2017 so maybe that has something to do with it....Not a big deal at all though really, is it?

Hmm mine seems to be fine? I'm also using Kaspersky 2017 so maybe that has something to do with it....Not a big deal at all though really, is it?
Well I have a long history on there I want to clear. I forgot to put my Nirsoft tools on the exclusion list. They always get hit with FP's and now I cannot clear the long history.

Another issue is that the automatically set time zone feature is not working. I've never been able to get it working correctly on any Windows builds. I enable it, location service icon pops up, and it just stays on Pacific Time and never changes to my time zone. The weather app is properly detecting my location so I know the location services is working.

how about disabling uac then clear it...
yup have that issue too with 7/8/10.
When I disable UAC and hit clear, the screen flashes and nothing happens. I just keep clicking and it just keeps flashing. Probably just a bug. CU has the new Defender UI so it's probably not working yet.

weird... its been working fine for me for a week or so since it rolled out for insiders. yeah id wait for another update, specifically for defender to come out before trying to fix it.

The Night Light is a blessing sometimes it resets the Nvidia Control panel sometimes it crashes unless it's just the update as a whole. I no longer feel the urge to surf links and click endlessly like it's a disorder and hover over ecommerce sites to help me with my computer blindness. I do think this is a problem for a lot of lazy people using the IOT.

When you use the Night Light you might need to put your brightness up a few Nits on the monitor or control panel in order to make up for the muted warm color of the screen. I still have my setting for bright low but I just do that to make text more readable and whites more bland I have the slider for Night Light right in the middle seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Now if Microsoft would only add themes to Microsoft Edge even though it might be unnecessary on bigger monitors.
The problem I have with Themes for Firefox you can't save them on a external drive it's Mozilla property or something.

I'm sure ms is working on these issues, I just got an update for the creators update last night. I'm now on ip 16170.

After I did the creators update, my pc went right back to windows 7. After seeing control panel gone from the right click start menu, Cortana re-enabled along with other privacy features turned back on, windows defender not shutting up about cloud protection being turned off, longer boot time and other assorted things not behaving the way they did before the update. Windows 7 actually is quite nice compared to windows 10.

The HDR desktop functionality doesn't jive with Nvidia's new drivers that support it. You can either disable it (and kill the option to play HDR games completely) or you're stuck with it always on and with brightness to the max with no way to adjust it.

Everything good so far with the Creator's update, only issue I have found is related to a single game, Defiance which won't launch. apparently it's an issue with the Creator's update since several days ago in the Insider's program, so well... still couple of other's machine to play defiance, everything else is running good.

My main rig updated (Intel 7700k)without any hitches as well as my daughters (AM3) and a laptop (Intel Pentium & DDR2) that was a clean install.. but on another laptop and my wifes AMD (FM2+) and a laptop (i5) .. of which were updates and not clean installs .. A lot of folders didn't have any text to them and opening the properties on the hard drive opened up a 4 mile wide blank screen as well as items in control panel not having text anymore .. but after a few reboots it "fixed" itself I guess because everything is ok now and running good.

Manually upgraded the wife's laptop and mine (was on my windows drive for a change due to needing the tax information from that drive to finish the taxes) last night. Upgrade went smoothly but after logging in this morning I instantly regretted it.

Why the fuck can't MS stop turning things back on that I turned the off? It's MY GOD DAMN PC. NOT THEIRS (Oh wait...this is Windows 10 we're talking about). I turned off allowing apps to access the camera and the microphone for a reason. Don't turn it back on! I don't want apps running in the background. So don't fucking turn it back on without permission you fucks! All that shit was back on for BOTH laptops.

Also why the do I need another setup screen? I already setup my PC. I don't want fucking Cortana. I turned off that bitch and disabled her previously so leave my settings alone! She's been disabled since day 1. Take the fucking hint and leave it alone!

Then there's the subtle social engineering bullshit in said setup screen. That screen where they default everything back to on when I already have it all set to OFF or "basic". Turn the spyware telemetry to Basic and you get a big yellow message that says "You'll be sending Microsoft less data to help fix errors you encounter." That'll sure as shit spook my mother and some of my siblings and make them go back to "Recommended". Fuck off MS. Isn't 3000 data points enough data for you to leech? Do you really have to use a subtle fear tactic to bend the wills of the uninformed masses to get more than the 3000 data points?

I don't mean to rant but seriously...what the fuck is MS doing? Is it really that hard to just the fucking settings alone?

Why the fuck can't MS stop turning things back on that I turned the off? It's MY GOD DAMN PC. NOT THEIRS (Oh wait...this is Windows 10 we're talking about). I turned off allowing apps to access the camera and the microphone for a reason. Don't turn it back on! I don't want apps running in the background. So don't fucking turn it back on without permission you fucks! All that shit was back on for BOTH laptops.

Did you go through the privacy settings during initial setup?

things got reset because it was an upgrade. youll have to turn shit off again but then it should be fine after that. yes its a pita, way she goes.

Did you go through the privacy settings during initial setup?

Of course I did. I also did a double check on both PCs after the March monthly update and found a bunch of the wife's shit reset when I know I turned it all off.

things got reset because it was an upgrade. youll have to turn shit off again but then it should be fine after that. yes its a pita, way she goes.

There's no excuse there. An upgrade doesn't have to reset my settings. It's an UPGRADE. Not a re-install. I don't need a Setup screen asking me again to use Cortana or let their spyware telemetry sit on "take all the things" mode. They have the ability to just leave it all alone. They just don't want to because they'd rather see if they can get another couple of thousand people or more sending all that good data up to the mothership.

I've read the Creators update will be rolled out gradually instead of released on all Win 10 PCs on one day, 4/11 for automatic update (not the manual method.) So any way to find out the day your PC or your area will get the auto update?

There's no excuse there. An upgrade doesn't have to reset my settings. It's an UPGRADE. Not a re-install. I don't need a Setup screen asking me again to use Cortana or let their spyware telemetry sit on "take all the things" mode. They have the ability to just leave it all alone. They just don't want to because they'd rather see if they can get another couple of thousand people or more sending all that good data up to the mothership.
To the user it's an upgrade-- a forced upgrade, in fact. But actually behind the scenes it is a reinstall.

That said, of course Microsoft could retain the user's preferences. They either chose not to or QA missed it 3 times in a row.

Personally, I want a way to get rid of the broken "Wireless Display Media Viewer" and a fix for WDDM 2.2's broken-ass implementation of desktop HDR.

how is the new Game Mode?...does it work as intended by prioritizing CPU/GPU resources during gaming?...that's the only new feature I'm really interested in...I've already tweaked my privacy settings so all those changes don't really effect me

how is the new Game Mode?...does it work as intended by prioritizing CPU/GPU resources during gaming?...that's the only new feature I'm really interested in...I've already tweaked my privacy settings so all those changes don't really effect me

On a reasonably powerful system it doesn't seem to do much, in fact it might even degrade performance. Like many guessed, it seems to do a lot more on slower systems especially with back ground tasks running.

On a reasonably powerful system it doesn't seem to do much, in fact it might even degrade performance. Like many guessed, it seems to do a lot more on slower systems especially with back ground tasks running.

is Game Mode enabled by default or can you disable it?

so Game Mode seems to be a part of that Xbox Game DVR app...I disable that...I used to use it for recording screenshots/videos but realized that it was using up too many resources...ironic how MS is saying that Game Mode prioritizes CPU/GPU resources during gaming but that app itself seems to be a resource hog

Did the update via Windows Upgrade Assistant. Decided to logon to work remotely, it borked my Remote Desktop Connection.

how is the new Game Mode?...does it work as intended by prioritizing CPU/GPU resources during gaming?
It feels like one of those low-end rig things like ReadyBoost. It might help a PC getting 20fps to get 23fps. If you're already getting 90fps, game mode is not going to improve your experience.

Then there's the subtle social engineering bullshit in said setup screen. That screen where they default everything back to on when I already have it all set to OFF or "basic". Turn the spyware telemetry to Basic and you get a big yellow message that says "You'll be sending Microsoft less data to help fix errors you encounter." That'll sure as shit spook my mother and some of my siblings and make them go back to "Recommended". Fuck off MS. Isn't 3000 data points enough data for you to leech? Do you really have to use a subtle fear tactic to bend the wills of the uninformed masses to get more than the 3000 data points?

I don't mean to rant but seriously...what the fuck is MS doing? Is it really that hard to just the fucking settings alone?

Microsoft Forum Patrol will be pulling you over any moment to explain why the settings reset back to MS defaults are for "Your protection" and a "good thing", because "you want to help make Windows better don't you? And besides, Google's doing it!" and if you protest will engage in the usual victim blaming "You must have done something wrong" because it's "Not happening on my SigRig™" and therefore "why do you hate Microsoft?"

Edit: Too late.

Last edited:
Microsoft Forum Patrol will be pulling you over any moment to explain why the settings reset back to MS defaults are for "Your protection" and a "good thing", because "you want to help make Windows better don't you? And besides, Google's doing it!" and if you protest will engage in the usual victim blaming "You must have done something wrong" because it's "Not happening on Microsoft Forum Patrol's own sig-rig" and therefore "why do you hate Microsoft?"

Edit: Too late.

Nope, if people could lay off the hysterics for a moment. He said he when through the settings screens in the initial set and they the settings still defaulted. That shouldn't have happened. Regardless of how one feels about the subject if you turned the stuff in the initial settings there's no way it should have still been on after initial setup.

Which is weird because there's a separate "Use Game Mode" on/off switch under Gaming. Why wouldn't that just try to use Game Mode for every game?

I think it's because the effect isn't universal and can even be derogatory to gaming performance depending on the game.

yeah that is it. on "game mode ready" games, ie windows store, its automatic. for everything else its hit and miss and you just have to try it. on my sig system it worked fine but on the pos(e6400, 4g, 280x) backup tower I'm using now it hurts every single game. cpu core 2 is pegged at 100% and core 1 sits at 20% in everything, normally they are loaded evenly at 70-80%. must be the ancient cpu...

Anyone else experiencing this now?

I have attached a photo. Both options circled in red do not work. I can click on them but nothing happens.

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 46
Back