Window AC/Heater Units

otienoty

n00b
Who uses a window air conditioner with a heater? I have a 20X25 garage that I've transformed into my mancave. My central unit works perfectly for the whole house, but it doesn't do a great job cooling or heating the garage. I’m thinking of going with the window AC and heater! I’ve never used these before so looking for some recommendations. The weather here can get really cold. It was zero degrees yesterday!
Do this work? Are they good enough?

Forget the window unit. Nab yourself a mini split. The install is a little more involved, but you'll wind up with a cleaner, quieter, more effective solution.

In my house, the master bedroom and the basement (which is only beneath the master bedroom) are additions. Whoever did the addition tried to feed both rooms with a single 6" duct and no return. It was freezing in the winter and baked in the summer.

Last year I installed a two-zone Pioneer mini split and it's been amazing. Super quiet, keeps both rooms independently controlled, did the install myself. The whole ordeal cost about $1700, but your bill will be much lower since you're only cooling a single zone.

Also, better insulation inside the garage. Radiant barrier for the inside of the ceiling. Even the pink fiberglass insulation in between the framing, along with sealing air leaks.

Also the garage door is an HUGE thermal and air leak. Seal the bottom, even the cheapo styrofoam panels for the door would help

You can pick up various units from costco cheaply too from window, split, and portable units.

Yeah I would avoid the window unit. I have through wall A/C untis and they are expensive enough by themselves, the ones with a heater add about another $150-$200 to the price. Plus they usually need a specialty NEMA plug also due to the heater power draw, after all is said and done you are likely quite a bit to the way of doing it correctly.

Back