Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Get with the future man!! XP for me!

Votes: 109 83.2%
  • dont give a shit.

Votes: 16 12.2%

• Total voters

WillowHawk

Gawd
Now, i've been having a debate with a few friends of mine, i say that windows XP is the best OS available. He says that 98 is the best for stability and security. i do admit that the majority of viruses are targeted for the windows xp platform, but of course that is to be expected. he posted the arguments on his forum, but i cant seem to find it as of right now, i'll post it some time later when i get it. both of us had really good points, and i, ofcourse, came out the victor. but now i want to hear your arguments. :)
analize points of
  • security
  • ease of use
  • "modability"
  • stability
  • os lifespan
  • os damage control/recovery
  • boot times
  • os operating speed
  • registries

I'm really interested in what u guys have to say about something like this.
anything extra can be sent here

It is hard for me to believe that someone would pick 98 over xp. Once I used XP I never looked back.

Where is windows 2K? That is the OS that made me drop 98.

There really is no choice anymore. Win XP is more stable for one, that should eliminate Windows 98 right there. Second, Win98 support is being dropped left and right. That clinches the decision. Time to move on people. ;)

Win98 and "security" do not go together. period. Nor does stability, relative to XP. In fact, there's no comparison at all. Why bother to beat a horse that's been dead since Win2K came out, much less XP?

WillowHawk said:
  • Administrator? What's that? The OS has no concept of privledge seperation. Not secure.
    [*]ease of use
    *shrug* Six of one, half dozen of another. Use the one you like
    [*]"modability"
    Erm?
    [*]stability
    Xp is far more stable than 98. No real arguement here that is serious, and it borders on troll if you try to argue otherwise
    [*]os lifespan
    *shrug* Xp has more potential to last longer than 98 does
    [*]os damage control/recovery
    I wipe and reload regardless, so it's about the same. :)
    [*]boot times
    Isn't this XPs big selling point?
    [*]os operating speed
    Xp is supposed to be faster, but I don't know bout that.
    [*]registries
    They both have 'em.

ill never go back to a win9x based os ever again. windows 2000 is the oldest ms os ill use.

This could of been worse. He could have been trying to say that windows ME was better! :eek:

remember back when windows 2000 and windows ME were released, everyone was saying that windows 2000 was NOT for desktops and that windows ME was better for everyday usage :D

acascianelli said:
remember back when windows 2000 and windows ME were released, everyone was saying that windows 2000 was NOT for desktops and that windows ME was better for everyday usage :D

Hahahaha, yea. I remember that. Then MS was like "yea, our bad" and swept it under the carpet.

Why argue? Use em all.

I use 98se, win2k, and xp-64 on one puter
(old games, almost everything, and testing)

assuming youve got decent hardware, XP smacks 98 around like an angry pimp smacks a whore who was out all night and made no money

I still has a laptop with 98, but from 3.5 years experience on home XP PC, I say to hell with 98..... :D I will never consider putting 98 on my home PC :mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft discontinue '98 which means no new updates for it? If that is so, how can '98 be secure at all anymore since no one is watching and fixing it?

I have just recently still updated 98[2mths ago], but don't know, maybe they stopped, must check again. :eek:

Met-AL said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft discontinue '98 which means no new updates for it? If that is so, how can '98 be secure at all anymore since no one is watching and fixing it?

you would be incorrect:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;w98

jun 30 , 2006 is the current end of life date

however, for the sake of argument, if it wasn't supported, since no one really uses it, no one really bothers to write virus/hacks for it...whens the last time you heard of an OS/2 virus? Or a DOS virus?

acascianelli said:
Not me. In fact, what I remember most clearly about that time is telling people that I was staying with SE until I had a damn good reason to upgrade to the 2k series. I also remember saying how big a pile of crap ME was.

And I also remember saying that I would be childish and say, "I told you fuckers so".

I told you fuckers so.

This is kind of a waste of a poll. Win 98 was probably one of the WORST OS's I've ever used. I went back to 95 for a while because it seemed to me that it was more stable. Once Win 2k came out in 1999, I switched over to that hoping that it would better than 98....and it was.

WillowHawk said:
Now, i've been having a debate with a few friends of mine, i say that windows XP is the best OS available. He says that 98 is the best for stability and security. i do admit that the majority of viruses are targeted for the windows xp platform, but of course that is to be expected. he posted the arguments on his forum, but i cant seem to find it as of right now, i'll post it some time later when i get it. both of us had really good points, and i, ofcourse, came out the victor. but now i want to hear your arguments. :)
analize points of
  • security
  • ease of use
  • "modability"
  • stability
  • os lifespan
  • os damage control/recovery
  • boot times
  • os operating speed
  • registries

I'm really interested in what u guys have to say about something like this.
anything extra can be sent here

XP is the OS everyone is basically using, the OS that companies like Dell, HP, etc put on their machines, the OS that companies use, schools, etc. Exploits are released more in XP then 98 because NOBODY uses it. I can't name one person off the top of my head using it. I'm sure there is people still using it but no one of a real target. I'm not sure if I agree with the "stability" of Win 98. I personally think XP is more stable then 98. Win2k owns all OS's with stability over all though....

ComputerBox34 said:
This is kind of a waste of a poll. Win 98 was probably one of the WORST OS's I've ever used. I went back to 95 for a while because it seemed to me that it was more stable. Once Win 2k came out in 1999, I switched over to that hoping that it would better than 98....and it was.

well, 98SE was pretty good

IMO:

2K>XP>98SE>98>95>Me

2K>XP by just a hair, a matter of preference

call me a noob, call me nutty as a squirrel's winter stash, but i actually prefer win 95/98. why? i like some of those old legacy games. try this list:

tyrian (dos 7.0) (c) epic megagames
lightbringer/cydonia (released under both titles) (win95/98) (c) dreamcatcher interactive
space bucks (win95 only, won't work in win98 for some reason :confused: ) (c) sierra
museum madness (dos somethingorother) (c) mecc
beyond time (win95/98) (c) dreamcatcher interactive

i like all of those games but my emachines winxp computer won't run them right. space bucks won't even open in anything other than win95, beyond time the cursor won't appear, lightbringer/cydonia quits for no reason at one point. :(

starhawk said:
call me a noob, call me nutty as a squirrel's winter stash, but i actually prefer win 95/98. why? i like some of those old legacy games. try this list:
:(

For this sole reason I keep an old win98, and an ancient dos 6.22 486 machine around. Whenever I want to play one of the legacy games I pull one of those machines out of the closet and play them. There is nothing like pushing a turbo button to make the game play at the right speed to bring back memories. :D

dont suppose youd have an 80mb quantum hdd lying around? my 386 served that purpose until the un-dusted psu fried the hdd.

or maybe you'd like to tell me how to dual-boot my eMachines in winxp/win95?

Most lopsided poll ever.......

Other than legacy apps, 98 offers no clear advantages in any aspects.

how can I make my emachines dual boot into win95/xp so i can enjoy all those old games w/o fragging my comp?

& i need a new video card... got crystal key 2 but it won't play cuz i only have 64mb vid ram... blasted intel graphics... and i only have 3 pci slots. help!

WillowHawk said:
Now, i've been having a debate with a few friends of mine, i say that windows XP is the best OS available. He says that 98 is the best for stability and security. i do admit that the majority of viruses are targeted for the windows xp platform, but of course that is to be expected.

Tell your friend to save some money and get with the new technology. The majority of "cool" new programs, hardcore hardware and also a lot of the new games do not support 98. Look at this screenie from DOOM3 on my machine from hell aka the Black Demon 3.4 oc'd to 3.6 with a Gig of GeIL ultraplatinum pc3200dual channel ddr and a BFGTech6800gtoc oc'd to ultra.
screenie4.jpg

starhawk said:
how can I make my emachines dual boot into win95/xp so i can enjoy all those old games w/o fragging my comp?

& i need a new video card... got crystal key 2 but it won't play cuz i only have 64mb vid ram... blasted intel graphics... and i only have 3 pci slots. help!

New at the computer thing are you not? Google search to find info on anything you want to do with your machine.

Steel Chicken said:
Why argue? Use em all.

I use 98se, win2k, and xp-64 on one puter
(old games, almost everything, and testing)

assuming youve got decent hardware, XP smacks 98 around like an angry pimp smacks a whore who was out all night and made no money
I agree. As far as stability with Win98, I have an original install that goes back to 11/97, upgraded from Win95 to Win98SE. It's stable...if you know what you are doing.

where are you folks getting the idea that nobody uses 98? Not that long ago the statistics were clear that it was the most widely used OS in the world still.

WillowHawk said:
Now, i've been having a debate with a few friends of mine, i say that windows XP is the best OS available.

I see your debate falls short of being the best Windows OS. I think both are good and bad.

98 - stability was not as good

XP - security sucks

starhawk said:

tyrian (dos 7.0) (c) epic megagames
lightbringer/cydonia (released under both titles) (win95/98) (c) dreamcatcher interactive
space bucks (win95 only, won't work in win98 for some reason :confused: ) (c) sierra
museum madness (dos somethingorother) (c) mecc
beyond time (win95/98) (c) dreamcatcher interactive

i like all of those games but my emachines winxp computer won't run them right. space bucks won't even open in anything other than win95, beyond time the cursor won't appear, lightbringer/cydonia quits for no reason at one point. :(

Ever thought about running a Dual Boot Windows 98SE/XP setup? I did until recently and it's the best of both worlds. I just got rid of the old 98SE partition because I haven't used it in about 8 months. XP Pro is the ONLY way to go anymore unless it's for an old laptop that won't run XP.

(1) winxp is as much win2k as i am an egret. the two are totally different. shell *and* kernel :rolleyes: *somebody* really needs to read up on their os knowledge
(2) i don't have a win98se disk. i do have a win95 disk. if you want to send me your win98se disk, i am flat broke but i can trade you a comp.

starhawk said:
(1) winxp is as much win2k as i am an egret. the two are totally different. shell *and* kernel :rolleyes: *somebody* really needs to read up on their os knowledge

All that extensive OS knowledge and you're flat broke...go figure
:rolleyes:

starhawk said:

Hey egret!!
check this link from another thread:
http://www.tomax7.com/winxp/Windows XP Paper.doc

there are a number of differences twixt the kernels, but they are fairly minor, certainly not enough to warrant saying winxp is nothing like 2k, unless of course you *are* an egret in which case you would be correct.

not just the kernels... mainly the shells actually
and i only know how to do qbasic, carloswill... how many os's use that? :rolleyes: very, very few, if any, because it's not that powerful... i'd try c++ if i could get a good editor/compiler for free.

starhawk said:
not just the kernels... mainly the shells actually
and i only know how to do qbasic, carloswill... how many os's use that? :rolleyes: very, very few, if any, because it's not that powerful... i'd try c++ if i could get a good editor/compiler for free.

the shell? could you be more specific about what exactly youre talking about?
provide some more data?

cant find a good freeware C++ compiler/editor? have you heard of Google? Try it.

all this coming from a guy who can't dual boot and still thinks qbasic is usefull

:p

(1) the shell is very different. look at the title bar at the top of your screen. that is part of the shell. i do not recall the x button being red in any previous version of windows.
(2) qbasic will always be useful as long as text adventure games exist and people still get excited about 80s early pcs. that's what you used back then. i am very proud of my tandy trs-80 series iii color computer... it may not outperform a modern computer (by far) but i would not trade it for anything. except perhaps my life.

starhawk said:
(1) the shell is very different. look at the title bar at the top of your screen. that is part of the shell. i do not recall the x button being red in any previous version of windows.
(2) qbasic will always be useful as long as text adventure games exist and people still get excited about 80s early pcs. that's what you used back then. i am very proud of my tandy trs-80 series iii color computer... it may not outperform a modern computer (by far) but i would not trade it for anything. except perhaps my life.

1) Windows XP was designed with Windows 2000 as a base, yes they colored some things up and rounded some edges, even changed some file names but that doesnt mean they arent very very similar. Also its called a THEME, my X isnt red up there :rolleyes:
2) http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html <-- that took about 5 seconds to locate
Just in case you dont read the left side panel
http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html

Back