Will YOU help me troubleshoot?

tinate

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
323
Hey guys. I recently purchased all of the following items for a new build:

AMD Phenom II 1055T
MSI 890fx-gd70
Corsair xms3 1333 2x2gb 9-9-9-24 1.5V
Corsair TX-750W
OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD
Samsung F3 1TB
Thermaltake Element G Case
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
(using an old Sapphire x1950 Pro GPU for now)

After putting everything together and installing Windows 7 x64. I've had many, many BSODs and even freezes while in the BIOS. I've done a lot of troubleshooting, but I can't seem to narrow down the culprit, and I'm looking for a fresh viewpoint.

Some things to note:
I tested the RAM with Memtest86+ on another board (and another cpu) before everything else got here for 7 hours, and it passed.
I tested the RAM with Memtest86+ on this board in slots 1/2, and it threw a ton of errors on the 6th pass, 7th test.
I tested the RAM with Memtest86+ on this board in slots 3/4, and it halted after only 15 mins (I have a screenshot).
I've tried installing 7 on both my HDD and SSD and am getting BSODs on both.
The HDD was tested beforehand with 0 errors using HD Tune Pro.

Essentially, I'm the puppet, and you're the master. I've never built a computer before, although a friend was with me the whole time who builds them very often. I've also read a lot on problems and whatnot, but again I want your viewpoint.

Thanks for your help
 
May you please try useing the blue (old SATA 3gbps?) port, with just the OS drive, and see if the issues go away.
 
May you please try useing the blue (old SATA 3gbps?) port, with just the OS drive, and see if the issues go away.

I can try that. The CD/DVD drive is in the SATA 2 port now. It is freezing on the BIOS, too, though, which makes me think it has nothing to do with the drive.

i just replaced my RAM with a friend's tested true RAM. I'm still getting BSODs and freezes. I've run 4 hours straight of FFTs without a CPU error. It's got to be the mobo, right?
 
I can try that. The CD/DVD drive is in the SATA 2 port now. It is freezing on the BIOS, too, though, which makes me think it has nothing to do with the drive.

i just replaced my RAM with a friend's tested true RAM. I'm still getting BSODs and freezes. I've run 4 hours straight of FFTs without a CPU error. It's got to be the mobo, right?
It might be a motherboard error, or a BIOS error.


May you check for a BIOS update?

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2025
 
Yeah it sounds like the mobo if errors shows up even with a known good set of RAM.

Though are you sure you set up the RAM correctly in the mobo's BIOs? Like correct voltages, timings, etc?
 
I would check out the ram settings too. Try the stock settings recommended for the ram and if that doesn't work then try making the timing higher like 1066 10-10-10-28 and see if that makes any difference.


Another thing I like to do while problem solving is take everything apart and put it back together out side of the case.
 
Yeah it sounds like the mobo if errors shows up even with a known good set of RAM.

Though are you sure you set up the RAM correctly in the mobo's BIOs? Like correct voltages, timings, etc?

Yes. They defaulted to the correct setting, but still i've checked them 100 times.

How can I make SURE it's not the CPU?
 
Yes. They defaulted to the correct setting, but still i've checked them 100 times.

How can I make SURE it's not the CPU?

Try it in another motherboard. That's the only way I know of.

EDIT: Also, the CPU has the lowest odds of failure out of any PC part. So that's usually the last item to check/replace.
 
Try it in another motherboard. That's the only way I know of.

EDIT: Also, the CPU has the lowest odds of failure out of any PC part. So that's usually the last item to check/replace.

Good because that was my inclination.
 
Do you have the RAM settings on AUTO? If so, manually set them to manufacturer's specs (both voltage and timings). A buddy of mine just built his X6 system and was having a bunch of problems until he updated his BIOS, so definitely get your friend to help you do that (as you could kill your mobo if you don't do it right -- but it's easy, just better to have someone who's done it before supervise you).
 
Do you have the RAM settings on AUTO? If so, manually set them to manufacturer's specs (both voltage and timings). A buddy of mine just built his X6 system and was having a bunch of problems until he updated his BIOS, so definitely get your friend to help you do that (as you could kill your mobo if you don't do it right -- but it's easy, just better to have someone who's done it before supervise you).

Problem solved for now. I went over to Fry's and bought a Asus Crosshair IV. It has not faulted once in several hours. Methinks twas the mobo. :)
 
Problem solved for now. I went over to Fry's and bought a Asus Crosshair IV. It has not faulted once in several hours. Methinks twas the mobo. :)

lol, you just bought one overkill motherboard :p


How do you like it, so far?
 
lol, you just bought one overkill motherboard :p


How do you like it, so far?

So far? Excellent. I'm happy to have not had a BSOD. I'll run blends overnight to prove non-overclocked stability, and then the real fun begins :)
 
Back
Top