will you be getting Ivy Bridge?

Upgrade to IB?

• Total voters
Hmm, I usually have 8~10 desktops at all times. Use for work since I work at home, coding-application design, testing new OS/Apps, if friends drop by for some gaming, et al. Plus usually 1 or 2 dual socket workstations for my video/3d modeling work. 6 physical servers atm, 10g network, iSCSI 24TB SAN, 250mb Fiber Optic Internet. Usual business at home setup...

I work on a 12~18 month cycle for most of my PCs, been that way for years. Got 2600k at release. And AMD FX was not a very compelling alternative. Bought FX-8150 and replaced with 2500k within 30 days. Got 3930k at realease and then 3820 to replace i7-950. So, out with i7-975x and i7-875k, nice to get rid of oder equipment. Still working, but would like more computing power if I need it. Last unit will be a i7-990x that will go once IB-E or Haswell has been released.

Same with Video Cards, just got 4 680 GTX to replace 580 GTX 3gb. Running a few 7970s also. Just waiting on either 7990/690 to replace some more video cards as I can.

Laptops are replaced when better models are available, waiting on 675M/7970M with IB laptops, will order 2 at least. Maybe a 3rd sometime in Aug/Sep...

Off topic..you have some amazing hardware in your house.I hope you also invest in some reliable alarm system ..or own some guns

2 days to go! Anyone know what time on the 29th they'll go live at etailer websites?

I tried to get a local store to confirm they will have some on the shelf sunday but they haven't answered yet.

I wouldn't mind buying in stores if it means I can have it sunday instead of tuesday.

Most likely midnight. Be prepared for F5 button mashing.

PST? I ask because I'm in CST.

Getting up right before 2am after putting the kids to bed is going to suck... :( Ugh. Not looking forward to it.

I tried to get a local store to confirm they will have some on the shelf sunday but they haven't answered yet.

I wouldn't mind buying in stores if it means I can have it sunday instead of tuesday.

In my case, I'll be going to MicroCenter (either Rockville or Fairfax - Rockville costs less to get to, but Fairfax has better inventories), as they get *all* my new build-parts business. What will be interesting is the spread (if any) between i5-2500K vs. i5-3570K (price, not performance) - anecdotal reports on the forums at HardwareCanucks show NO spread at all among non-gouging local shops north of the border; if that holds up @ MC, and with saner overclocks on the schedule, what's NOT to love about i5-3570K+Z77?

I gave the store a call and the guy was no help.

Said it didn't show up anywhere lol. Took him 30 seconds to answer "can't find it" so I don't know how hard he checked. I'll call again tomorrow maybe get a different person.

Intel built IB with that cheap paste, it's not an Enthusiast CPU any longer. You can get the same performance from an overclocked SB. IB offers no advantages. Extremely disappointed. Since we all overclock, this poll should say "Do you plan to side-grade to IB?"

In my case, I'll be going to MicroCenter (either Rockville or Fairfax - Rockville costs less to get to, but Fairfax has better inventories), as they get *all* my new build-parts business. What will be interesting is the spread (if any) between i5-2500K vs. i5-3570K (price, not performance) - anecdotal reports on the forums at HardwareCanucks show NO spread at all among non-gouging local shops north of the border; if that holds up @ MC, and with saner overclocks on the schedule, what's NOT to love about i5-3570K+Z77?

Microcenter initially will not be running the same promotions on the i5 3570k as they are running on the 2500k. So the $40 discount + $40-50 motherboard combo discount that exists for the 2500k will not be applied yet to the i5 3570k. It'll take a few weeks for that to happen.

Basically, with Microcenter, you're looking at paying $80-90 more for the i5 3570k than you would pay for the 2500k.

PST? I ask because I'm in CST.

Getting up right before 2am after putting the kids to bed is going to suck... :( Ugh. Not looking forward to it.

Depends on the retailer probably, or Intel might place restrictions. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

My guess is that retailers based on the East Coast (TigerDirect for example) might start midnight EST. Retailers based on the West Coast (Newegg) might start midnight PST. The only surefire way to know is have multiple pages open, and button-mash F5 for 3 hours straight.

Microcenter initially will not be running the same promotions on the i5 3570k as they are running on the 2500k. So the $40 discount + $40-50 motherboard combo discount that exists for the 2500k will not be applied yet to the i5 3570k. It'll take a few weeks for that to happen.

Basically, with Microcenter, you're looking at paying $80-90 more for the i5 3570k than you would pay for the 2500k.

Depends on the retailer probably, or Intel might place restrictions. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

My guess is that retailers based on the East Coast (TigerDirect for example) might start midnight EST. Retailers based on the West Coast (Newegg) might start midnight PST. The only surefire way to know is have multiple pages open, and button-mash F5 for 3 hours straight.

In other words - at least initially, from a price standpoint, it's safer to stick with Sandy (as opposed to Ivy) all else being equal. That biteth.

So far I don't have any regrets. Just started OCing after work along with my shiny new D14:

cqDvV.png

Prime temps? idle? Gaming? No info!

I'm a dirty tease :p

4.7 was a no go, my prime test failed after 50 minutes with a max temp of 95C. I'm about an hour in at 4.6GHz, 1.4v, 89C max, avg 75C. Once I get 4.6 8hr stable i'll go back to 4.7 and see how much voltage it'll take to get it stable under 100C max.

4.7 was a no go, my prime test failed after 50 minutes with a max temp of 95C. I'm about an hour in at 4.6GHz, 1.4v, 89C max, avg 75C. Once I get 4.6 8hr stable i'll go back to 4.7 and see how much voltage it'll take to get it stable under 100C max.

Holy crap! 89!! Ouch.

Is the max on those 105?

From what I've read so far 1.4V seems a lot for 4.6, like 0.2V extra. No wonder it heats till failure, did you try with less?

No chance for me now unless my main rig dies and IB seems like the best available option at the time or I get an IB laptop. The only build I can maybe see doing for myself in the near future unless something dies is an HTPC, and I'd probably use an AMD APU for that. I went 2011 and won't upgrade until well after Haswell launches. I like the extra ram sockets and the ability to run SLI and a disk controller. Making a living involves writing code, so this isn't just a gaming rig.

I could easily see buying an IB chip though. Best chance is if I decide to give my dad an upgrade as an x-mas present. Dad plays games and is quite fond of the Civilization series, so he could actually use an i5 or i7 for Civ 5. Mom could also use an upgrade, but her next machine will probably be something along the lines of a desktop replacement laptop with an i3 or AMD Fusion chip since all she does is the usual web/email/office type stuff.

per another reply

Off topic..you have some amazing hardware in your house.I hope you also invest in some reliable alarm system ..or own some guns

hmm,

Have an internet access to my home security system. Have 17 IP Camera's, Motion Detectors, Permimeter Dector(live on close to 2 acres in Coppell), along with Celluar Access if power/telephone lines are down. Seperate Desiel Generator with another Celluar Access for Home Network, hooked up to my Baracuda load balance in my server room(had a 3 car garage, but down to 2 as 3rd area is my server room).

I also do have quite an assortment of home defense weapons if needed, but my Chewy .416 would not qualify. Along with 5 dogs in the house and grounds. Get issues with new neighbors sometimes, but they learn to leave me alone most of the time...

I ordered the 3770K from Newegg just a while ago. Will be pairing it up with my MSI Z77 GD65.

My 3770K will be water cooled. Here is my current setup - currently cooling a Core i7 920.

http://i50.tinypic.com/23kx1xw.jpg

Swiftech Apogee XT and Swiftech MCR320.

Last edited:
I've been checking Newegg's site throughout the day. As of this posting, they still don't even have a category for Ivy Bridge processors. So how exactly did you order one?

It's midnight PST. Did you order IB?

[edit]
Damn, talk about a pretty silent retail launch. Only thing I got in email was MC's launch newsletter/e-flyer.

Nothing from NE, Amazon, or anyone else.

Still not even available to order on Amazon.

Last edited:
I just got my newegg email, and amazon has theirs up... for get this.
266.41 and 382.97 Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Changed my mind. Going to just get an i5 2500K, overclock the shit out of it, and then upgrade the processor in three years. The rest of the build should last at least five before I'll even consider upgrading.

Changed my mind. Going to just get an i5 2500K, overclock the shit out of it, and then upgrade the processor in three years. The rest of the build should last at least five before I'll even consider upgrading.

Except for the mobo right? Haswell is going to be a different socket innit?

As for me I am not buying IB. I hope it causes Microcenter to drop the price of the 2500K to $150 and/or the 2600K to $200 again like we saw a few weeks ago. Will be watching for that like a hawk.

Just ordered a 3770K, coming from an Athlon II X4 630 which I bought for $99 in January of 2010. Yeah... it's time.

Except for the mobo right? Haswell is going to be a different socket innit?

As for me I am not buying IB. I hope it causes Microcenter to drop the price of the 2500K to $150 and/or the 2600K to $200 again like we saw a few weeks ago. Will be watching for that like a hawk.
No need to wait. Microcenter's website now lists the Ivy Bridge 3570K for $189.99. I'm tempted to buy it now to lock in the good price, even though I won't be building my system for about 2 weeks. $189.99 is exactly what I paid for my Core 2 Duo E8500 in 2008.

Last edited:
No need to wait. Microcenter's website now lists the Ivy Bridge 3570K for $189.99. I'm tempted to buy it now to lock in the good price, even though I won't be building my system for about 2 weeks. $189.99 is exactly what I paid for my Core 2 Duo E8500 in 2008.

Yeah but I am not interested in IB really. If there isn't a significant deal on SB in the next couple weeks then I might buy one but I have been turned off Ivy for the most part.

I ordered the 3570k and P8Z77 pro for $397 shipped overnight w/ tax. I don't think I've ever seen microcenter actually have shipping on their deals before ! I live 2 hours south of the Chicago store, so quite happy to see that.

With the $50 mobo savings I couldn't justify going i7. The $150 I saved is halfway to an i7 haswell or whatever is after that. Unfortunately I had to build, wife's desktop died and she wanted a new one for photoshop, so she gets my QX9650. I think I could have easily waited until Haswell.

After so much head scratching, I am going with "Yes to IB". For my needs in an ultra-quiet 8db to 12db mostly office apps occasional gaming rig, Noctua NF-F12 pwm fans dialed down to 300rpms, the 3770K is the obvious choice at stock speeds. My C2D LGA-775 needs to retire over in the corner somewhere as a word processor. Can't believe Amazon has stock on launch day, that is such great news. I could buy today for $349.99 get it overnighted for $3.99. Sad though have to wait till June for the Z77 mobo, so a little more waiting, arrrrgh!

hahaha Objekt, that's the exact chip I am running E8500, got if for around $190 when the E8600 came out and the price dropped in July 2008, that's wild to think how long it's been, never waiting this long again.

Sweet, Just ordered for pick-up at MC later today...

3770k + Asus Z77 Deluxe
3570k + Asus Z77 Sabertooth

At least MC had cheapest prices, and nice $50 off Z77 - 3570k combo at least...

Alright, I voted no, but then I got the $189 3570k from MC and got $50 off a board. All said and done, $390 shipped for the board/CPU that would have cost me $470 at Newegg. I figured it was a good deal, especially for a launch CPU.

Sorry for skewing the results ;).

Back