will you be getting Ivy Bridge?

Upgrade to IB?

• Total voters
i actually turn off HT on my i7 to get a higher overclock at a lower voltage and less heat :p

go with i5
Looking at the reviews, I don't think I'd overclock Ivy much beyond 4 Ghz. Although it could come in handy next winter.

BTW, does HT impact framerates? I googled it, and some people say it hurts framerate a bit, others say it makes no difference. Any proof either way?
If it does hurt framerate, I suppose that's actually a reason not to buy i7 for gaming.

Looking at the reviews, I don't think I'd overclock Ivy much beyond 4 Ghz. Although it could come in handy next winter.

BTW, does HT impact framerates? I googled it, and some people say it hurts framerate a bit, others say it makes no difference. Any proof either way?
If it does hurt framerate, I suppose that's actually a reason not to buy i7 for gaming.

If there are any games which are hindered by HT, it's typically a very small hit to FPS. Nothing you'll likely notice or miss.

If there are any games which are hindered by HT, it's typically a very small hit to FPS. Nothing you'll likely notice or miss.
Speaking of things you'll likely notice or miss;

What about i7-3770 Turboclock-OC'd to 4.3 GHZ, vs i5-3570K baseclock-OC'd to 4.0 Ghz?
Which one is better?
And would that Turbo-OC need a higher voltage? Just thinking aloud here...

Yes from a Phenom II 955BE with specs in my sig to a i5 3570K once I can get my hands on it.

Nope

My 2600k is perfect for now at 4.5ghz with 1.26v

May get an i3 for my SFF but will all depend on price and iGPU

I voted no, but on second though, if Intel pushes out a new stepping this summer I might upgrade.

Im going to stick my neck out and say TOCKs are the best option. To me it gives the Arch time to mature before an upgrade. No doubt that Haswell may resolve heat issues and allow for massive OC's assuming hugh volt jumps arent needed like with IB.

I stick with my No and probably a no for the i3 as well.

i'm gonna say no for now...but i told myself I didn't need z77 either...if I actually come across one it'll be hard to not get a 3770k

I'm upgrading from a q6600. I am not an extreme overclocker and only plan to OC to 4.2-4.4ghz so IB makes sense for me over SB.

I wont since my i5 is doing good @ 4.8 with only 1.38 volts and might still have room for more with better cooling. :D

I was going to upgrade from a Phenom II but changed my mind because it's not worth the 400.00+ for a new MB and chip.
I think I'll save up for a PS4 orbis or something

I'm on a 2500K no reason to upgrade.

The only reason to upgrade is if you are on something older.

I'm really torn between waiting on the IB to go on sale or just go ahead and buy my SB 2500K. I've seen a lot of people recommending the IB but I honestly don't see why that is. My whole system is just waiting for a CPU and I'm having trouble justifying the IB 3570K over the SB 2500K, especially seeing the heat/OC results that are being reported.

I doubt Microcenter is going to be running any combo deals on IB when they are finally for sale, so I think I'm going to pick up a 2500k + Z77 combo, pick up the 3750k (hopefully the 29th), and sell the 2500k. If anyone here is interested in purchasing said 2500k from me go ahead and send me a PM. I'm not looking to make any money, I'd sell it for what I paid (plus shipping).

I am still content with my main rig in sig, the Phenom II 965. I might move on with the next gen.
I am more likely to snag an IB laptop though, I have been holding out for as long as possible for a new laptop. Now I will be okay if I settle for integrated graphics if I get an IB laptop.

I'm really torn between waiting on the IB to go on sale or just go ahead and buy my SB 2500K. I've seen a lot of people recommending the IB but I honestly don't see why that is. My whole system is just waiting for a CPU and I'm having trouble justifying the IB 3570K over the SB 2500K, especially seeing the heat/OC results that are being reported.

The chips OC, just not as high as Sandy, I expect 4-4.5 GHz easy at low voltage).

The heat issue is correct, but exaggerated. The chips are consuming less power than Sandy @ OC, but the CPU temps are higher due to diffusion limitations of the smaller die area. Hence why many reviewers are talking about 80°C+ temperatures of core yet heat-sink still cool to the touch.
I am personally going 3570k, (same boat, I have a new water block and mobo screaming for a chip, half tempted to get a g530 just so I can boot it up while I wait). With a Virtu chip in mobo, and lower power draw even at OC,, its an easy choice for Ivy for me, especially if I ever get a PCIe3.0 capable GPU(currently using a 6950 2gb). I say wait a couple more measly days and go Ivy, unless of course you can get a 2500k for $170 or less, then I would go that route for sure.

I'm going to a 3570K most likely, upgrading from a QX9650 (don't judge got it used w/ asus striker board for $50). I have an intel 520 and plextor M3 waiting to handle OS/Gaming and a Noctua U12P-SE2 waiting to do the cooling.

If you already have a motherboard that isn't a Z77 chipset I would probably save the money if you have a MC around and get the SB. I think most of the advantages to IB come with a Z77 chipset w/ native support for USB 3.0, PCI-X 3, and DDR 1600.

As I need to replace the remaining Core2 rigs I have in the house, yes it's kind of inevitable.

No, my i7 970 is serving me very well and I didn't even get SB-E because the performance gain was minimal.

Waiting for Haswell :)

I'm not demanding on my systems so it's going to be relatively painless for me to sit tight :eek:

I doubt Microcenter is going to be running any combo deals on IB when they are finally for sale, so I think I'm going to pick up a 2500k + Z77 combo, pick up the 3750k (hopefully the 29th), and sell the 2500k. If anyone here is interested in purchasing said 2500k from me go ahead and send me a PM. I'm not looking to make any money, I'd sell it for what I paid (plus shipping).

Sooo..youre gonna sell someone a used chip for more than what they can buy the same one new for?? :rolleyes:

Sooo..youre gonna sell someone a used chip for more than what they can buy the same one new for?? :rolleyes:

I'm reading that as he's going to buy the 2500K to get the discount on the Z77 MoBo, then sell it brand new and ask what he paid for it. Then get an IB since there's uncertainty if MC will be offering the same kind of bundle deals on retail launch day.

I'm reading that as he's going to buy the 2500K to get the discount on the Z77 MoBo, then sell it brand new and ask what he paid for it. Then get an IB since there's uncertainty if MC will be offering the same kind of bundle deals on retail launch day.

This would be correct.

I think I too will wait for Haswell. Right now, the focus for my is a new GPU and/or PLP setup

I knew the rumors were true with Ivy, so I got a Z77 and 2600k instead. Upgraded from a Q9550.

im on an lga775 chip and ddr2 ram... dual core... so yeah... upgrade time
wow, i have been on [H] for almost 5 years... nice

Same here but LGA775 quad-core (Q6600, which Mom will get).

I had been originally planning on Sandy, but given that Ivy launches next week (and tall overclocks aren't on the schedule), unless i5-3570K is priced out of kilter (like i7-2600-non-K out of kilter), that's what I'll be getting along with a Z77 motherboard.

The motherboard finals (Z77 Division) -

BIOSTAR TZ77A - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387326

This Z77 bargain whacked the original Z68 champ (ASUS P8Z68 V-LX) by offering better features for a slightly ($5 less after MIR and bundle savings) lower price.

ASUS P8Z77 V-LX - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387156

ASUS' lowest-priced Z77 ATX motherboard. Despite traditionally being loyal to ASUS motherboards, I can't ignore that $25 premium over the BIOSTAR TZ77A.

BIOSTAR TZ77XE4 - http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387325

This puppy showed up on the radar yesterday (placed second in that multiway IB/Z77 shootout @ LegitReviews - trailing only the ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe, which is more than twice its price), and it's only $10 more than the P8Z77 V-LX. If I were looking at taller overclocks, this would actually be my first choice (the 13-way VRM is tallest among the three); however, because I won't be pushing the OC envelope much, it's ranked at third (highest price).

I got in on the 2600k for $200 deal. Waiting to see if MC does anything (which I'm doubting). I'm not a huge overclocker, so I'd love to get IB.

If someone offers a smokin' deal (say 25%+ off) on Sandy Bridge after Ivy Bridge hits the market, I'd consider building with an SB.

On a Z77 motherboard, of course. I don't give a fig about PCI-E 3.0, let alone multiple PCI-E 3.0 video cards, and I could be persuaded to overlook the difference in power consumption. Don't care about overclocking either. But the Z77 chipset has other nice features, even without an IB.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of the total lifecycle cost of roughly equivalent (performance-wise) Sandy Bridge vs. Ivy Bridge CPUs. I typically hang on to hardware for as long as it keeps working, so I may actually be better off over the long haul, by paying more now for an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Back