Wii impressions. Leave your thoughts here!

My roomate got one. Graphic wise its fine, nothing special but it looks much better than previous generations of consoles (obviously). I'm not sur ewhat I think of the whole moving the controller concept. its fun for sports games and thats it. Otherwise its just fucking tedious as hell. I played Ultimate Marvel Alliance or whatever and i'm swinging my hand everywhere, you just look and feel stupid, not interactive. Also its really fickle. I mean, i swipe the remote and it does a lunge move instead of a swipe. If you tilt the little nunchaku thingy the cmaera goes apeshit. Little things like this bug me. Not worth the investment. Unless you're a zelda freak/ .

I totally agree with the above ! ! ! The new Wii controller is OK for Zelda ...but, in several other games I've played on my son's Wii, there are definite (also confirmed on some websites) control problems. My family, friends & I...all definitely perfer a standard type controller for gaming after spending several hours using the Wii controller. I'm glad to hear that Nintendo will make some upcoming games like Smash Bros ...standard controller only.

IMO ...I will buy a Wii in the future, but for now the only good game on the Wii is Zelda & because it's identical to the Gamecube version except for widescreen support ...I pre-ordered the Gamecube Zelda due to my controller perference.

Javvis said:
I totally agree with the above ! ! ! The new Wii controller is OK for Zelda ...but, in several other games I've played on my son's Wii, there are definite (also confirmed on some websites) control problems. My family, friends & I...all definitely perfer a standard type controller for gaming after spending several hours using the Wii controller. I'm glad to hear that Nintendo will make some upcoming games like Smash Bros ...standard controller only.

IMO ...I will buy a Wii in the future, but for now the only good game on the Wii is Zelda & because it's identical to the Gamecube version except for widescreen support ...I pre-ordered the Gamecube Zelda due to my controller perference.

If they make SSB standard controller only.. does this mean i can use a gamecube controller.. or will i have to buy the classic controller..

BTW the classic controller looks uncomfortable..

TheCowOfNow said:
My roomate got one. Graphic wise its fine, nothing special but it looks much better than previous generations of consoles (obviously). I'm not sur ewhat I think of the whole moving the controller concept. its fun for sports games and thats it. Otherwise its just fucking tedious as hell. I played Ultimate Marvel Alliance or whatever and i'm swinging my hand everywhere, you just look and feel stupid, not interactive. Also its really fickle. I mean, i swipe the remote and it does a lunge move instead of a swipe. If you tilt the little nunchaku thingy the cmaera goes apeshit. Little things like this bug me. Not worth the investment. Unless you're a zelda freak/ .

I had no control issues whatsoever with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. I somehow doubt you really delved that deep into it, or you would have noticed the calbirations you can do to make it sense your movements well :).

It's not fun for just sports games, the games I have are much more fun with the movement and immersion-wise because of it (I own Zelda: TP, Marvel: UA, Excite Truck, and CoD3 which is going back for other reasons to be replaced by Monkey Ball).

I don't know why people wave their arms like lunatics and expect it to make sense out of it. You need to calibrate it when you start your profile in the Marvel: UA game, it works perfectly after I did so. I mean PERFECTLY, it detected everything 100% basically.

The nunchuck is SUPPOSED to be for better control of the camera with its tilt-sensitive adjustment for that game. Instead of having to rely on the game to move the camera how you want it, you can just tilt the nunchuck naturally to angle the camera around... if you can't hold your wrist steady enough to control it, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Considering the number of games available, there's much more the system has to offer for people other than "Zelda freaks" ;).

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
If they make SSB standard controller only.. does this mean i can use a gamecube controller.. or will i have to buy the classic controller..

BTW the classic controller looks uncomfortable..

yep, the games controll scheme is practically identical to gamecubes, and you will be able to use a gamecube controller.

Also I'm just speculating about this next part, but I woudn't be suprised if the wii controller with the nunchuck also worked with it since the game is only going to use 4 buttons and the analog stick. (althogh a standard controller may be more comfortable)

May not be the most powerful.

May not be the most graphically awesome.

May not be the media center for the home in one place.

But seems to me the only next gen console because of the ingenius game play. I love the controller. I love the gameplay in wii sports, dbz and zelda(only games i have played so far.) The system is great and I can't wait to stop bugging my friend and get my own!

Be careful of reflective things around... it will make it freak out.

ya ive been having a lot of fun with my Wii, extremely fun party system but also awesome single player in zelda. Its the perfect complement to my gaming pc!

I think its overhyped and just blah. Played it for 10 hours when my friend got it. I don't care what anyone says, there is a delay from when you move the controller to when it reacts. this makes steering in excite truck a pain in my ass. Sure you can aim precisely in zelda, but thats provided whatever you are shooting is big or sitting still. Played tennis. I don't know if in the 4 hours we couldn't figure it out or what, but how do you make the ball go either down the line or cross court? How do you overhead? tried all sorts of twists of the wrists and whatnot, I play real tennis, the only thing I seemed to manage to do consistently was the backhand slice shot cross court but it only worked 2/3's of the time, but that seemed somewhat consistent... I love the thing, but its just not as accurate as I would like it to be and the responsiveness needs work too. playing excite truck makes me feel like im pulling the truck on a fishing line, it takes way too long to respond, I guess its made up by the fact that there are a lot of non-grippy surfaces in the game so you are suppose to think it is that way. But playing the other games, its very noticeable to me that there is a delay when performing functions with the controller, the responsiveness is what makes me dislike it the most. My mii looks exactly like me tho, and was so sexy it broke the console, probably my favorite part.

After a week with the Wii, here are my thoughts.

Overall I've been very pleased. Console is small and quiet and looks very good on my HDTV with the component cables. Granted, it's a 36" sony, but it's super-fine pitch so a lot of detail is squeezed onto the tube. Control and navigation are intuitive, even my 4 year old can start it up and find his way around the main menu to start a game.

The sensor needs a little work still, imo. On Wii sports, it works perfectly. Once calibrated it's spot on for tennis, bowling, etc... The games are simple, but fun and the controller really does help make the game more immersive. I'm especially impressed that by rolling your wrist you can add spin to bowling and have more control over where the ball goes in tennis. It would be nice if this was the case with pitching in baseball as well, but what can you do...baseball is fairly boring anyway.

Zelda is a gem. I great game in and of itself, and a phenomenal launch title. The controls work well, but the biggest problem I have is accuracy with the wii-mote and sensor. When I point the wii-mote at my TV, it doesn't actually sync up. The target is usually about 4" below where I'm pointing. I've used a laser site attached to my Wii-mote to confirm and no matter what I do I can get the wii-mote to sync any closer than about 4". The horizontal axis is spot-on, but it's always about 4 inches off vertically. I've adjusted to this and most people probably wouldn't notice, but it would be nice if you could manually 100% calibrate the wii-mote so that where you point is where the target is.

I picked up Cars for the kids, and its a blast. Basically, it's the same game as the PS2, gamecube, 360, etc...but with the wiimote being used as a steering wheel. Sensitivity once set is very good, and you can have quite accurate control of your car. Graphics are the same level as the other systems, but it's fun to play.

Overall, I've been happy with the purchase, though it would be nice if the wii-mote and nunchuk combo weren't $60 a piece. But I think given time to see what games are further developed for the system and this could be the giant killer among the next-gen systems.

KidzMD said:
Overall, I've been happy with the purchase, though it would be nice if the wii-mote and nunchuk combo weren't $60 a piece.

Hey, at least Nintendo is giving you the option rather then being stuck with something you may not use depending on the games you play.

I just got a Wii. I first played Wii Sports. My goodness, it's everything I thought it would be. It's quite fun trying to figure out every which way you can punch in boxing or hit the ball. It adds a whole new dynamic to playing games.

It's fun, and it's different and it's awesome.

I just bought a Wii this morning, along with Excite Truck. I had never played a demo Wii so this was my first time with the system. When I opened the box, I was extremely impressed. The box itself felt heavy, and when I pulled out my Wii (sorry, I just had to say it at least once :p ) it felt really solid, and it looks kind of like a Mac mini. Very sheek! There are so many gizmos in the box, that it's like a flippin' scavenger hunt just to find everything. :D There's even a clear plastic stand for the sensor bar, and a clear plastic stand to help steady the Wii if you place it vertically. Documentation is in several languages.

I first tried out Excite truck. I had thought from screenshots that the graphics would be bad, but they are fine. It's like a Gamecube title, the graphics are not much better, but when you factor in the water and the "blur" effects when you hit the turbo, I think they're pretty good. The game is fun, the controls are solid but they could be a little tighter for me. I like the fact that you can drift, but the controls just aren't as tight as R4 for example which for me sets the standard in racing game controls. I recently bought GT4, and Ridge Racer 5, but returned them both because they just weren't "fun." Excite Truck is "fun."

Wii Sports isn't just fluff like I thought it would be - I can see myself spending some time with this title. Of course the characters are Mii's so it isn't a graphical onslaught, but there's actually some graphics effects that seem pretty neat, such as the tennis ball during replays.

Bottom line: it is worth $250 if you are looking for "fun" games. If you are looking for graphics that will beat your computer's video card, get a PS3 or Xbox 360. I predict that Nintendo will sell 1.5 million consoles worldwide before Xmas if it can produce and distribute them.

My best friend, who has never liked nintendo, never owned a nintendo console, and had extreme reservations about the Wii..

spent damn near 7 hours with the thing last night. He started off playing it with my sister and I (Tennis, Golf and Bowling) and then stayed up for hours doing the boxing.

I'd say Nintendo has a major winner in their hands.

KidzMD said:
Zelda is a gem. I great game in and of itself, and a phenomenal launch title. The controls work well, but the biggest problem I have is accuracy with the wii-mote and sensor. When I point the wii-mote at my TV, it doesn't actually sync up. The target is usually about 4" below where I'm pointing. I've used a laser site attached to my Wii-mote to confirm and no matter what I do I can get the wii-mote to sync any closer than about 4". The horizontal axis is spot-on, but it's always about 4 inches off vertically. I've adjusted to this and most people probably wouldn't notice, but it would be nice if you could manually 100% calibrate the wii-mote so that where you point is where the target is.

Press the (+) button, to pause the game. Then go to options. Press (+) again, to calibrate the wiimote.

LeviathanZERO said:
Press the (+) button, to pause the game. Then go to options. Press (+) again, to calibrate the wiimote.
Did that, still aims high, but I've adjusted so not a major issue.

Although I'm sure you probably did this, did you make sure the Sensor Bar position was set correctly in the Wii settings?
Perhaps your particular setup would benefit more from setting the sensor bar on the opposite position above/below the TV and setting the Wii accordingly?

Never hurts to asks... :)

blueadept33 said:
I think its overhyped and just blah.

Played it for 10 hours when my friend got it. I don't care what anyone says, there is a delay from when you move the controller to when it reacts. this makes steering in excite truck a pain in my ass.

Sure you can aim precisely in zelda, but thats provided whatever you are shooting is big or sitting still.

Played tennis. I don't know if in the 4 hours we couldn't figure it out or what, but how do you make the ball go either down the line or cross court? How do you overhead? tried all sorts of twists of the wrists and whatnot, I play real tennis, the only thing I seemed to manage to do consistently was the backhand slice shot cross court but it only worked 2/3's of the time, but that seemed somewhat consistent...

I love the thing, but its just not as accurate as I would like it to be and the responsiveness needs work too. playing excite truck makes me feel like im pulling the truck on a fishing line, it takes way too long to respond, I guess its made up by the fact that there are a lot of non-grippy surfaces in the game so you are suppose to think it is that way.

But playing the other games, its very noticeable to me that there is a delay when performing functions with the controller, the responsiveness is what makes me dislike it the most. My mii looks exactly like me tho, and was so sexy it broke the console, probably my favorite part.

Answering these in the blocks I broke it up into:

1) Overhyped? No moreso than the PS3, probably less since this actually delivers.

2) I have used mine since launch day a LOT, I have ZERO latency and I am sensitive to 60ms+ ping in an FPS online on my PC. The latency may technically exist, but it should be a non-issue.

3) Like a lightgun game ;). Exactly how it's meant to be...

4) You have to use your arm to do swings with your wrist like real tennis. It doesn't work so well if you are just doing gentle wrist motions. Also, the timing of the racket's swing to affect the connection angle with the ball will affect things, as will the rotation and tilt of the Wii remote. It took me a while to figure it out fully, but now that I have, it's great.

5) Excite Truck is an arcadey racer ;).

6) I really don't know what to say, I haven't had any latency issues so I can't relate. Is your room very bright with a lot of sunlight, or does it have a very reflective table or whatnot between the sensor bar/Wii and the controller while playing? Did you set the positioning of the bar in the Wii's settings menu properly, or try the opposite setting/physical placement? I found that it helped significantly to do that.

The only problem with it is that I get too physical and I end up sore... plus I might break something or hit somebody in the room.

Sabre said:
Although I'm sure you probably did this, did you make sure the Sensor Bar position was set correctly in the Wii settings?
Perhaps your particular setup would benefit more from setting the sensor bar on the opposite position above/below the TV and setting the Wii accordingly?

Never hurts to asks... :)
Tried that also. I even got out a tape measure so that I'm 100% centered on my TV and tried both above and below, above both with and without the little stand. Still aims high no matter what. However, it's still very playable, I've just learned to look at and follow the target on the TV rather than where I think it should be based on hand position. Hopefully this won't be an issue when duckhunt is released next year.

krameriffic said:
The only problem with it is that I get too physical and I end up sore... plus I might break something or hit somebody in the room.

It will recognize small motions just as well as large ones, you dont need to throw your body around the room if you dont wanna. ;)

inotocracy said:
It will recognize small motions just as well as large ones, you dont need to throw your body around the room if you dont wanna. ;)

Depends on the game. Some of the mini games in rayman need a good amount of motion and a good speed.

krameriffic said:

Lol I hope I'm not the only one--after 2 hours of Wii Boxing, I was pretty tired. Then again, I probably shoulda been dodging more to save energy hMmmm...

I scored 2 more nunchuks at walmart tonight so tomorow is gonna be wii boxing night! I'm a little sore but this system is a blast!

My brother brought his up for Thanksgiving. It was pretty fun, but all he had was Wii Sports (little bastard left Zelda at home). The bowling was cool, but the boxing sucked. I was also dissapointed with the Wiimote's connectivity, it seemed to lose the signal fairly easily.

Slartibartfast said:
I was also dissapointed with the Wiimote's connectivity, it seemed to lose the signal fairly easily.

Really? I've brought my remote all over the place when my Wii is on and its never lost signal.

Having both the Wii and the PS3, I like the Wii a LOT more.

So far it's just so damn fun to play.

The only thing i can think to say is this......i took my wii to my g/f house and even her parents who have never played a video game in there life were amazed by it.....ive never has as much fun playing a system as i do with the wii

I just got the wii and all i have to say is its a blast. I even had my dad up here playing bowling and golf and we were both laughing....ive had it for an hour and so far so good.

I don't have a wii, and I've only played it once a gamestop (excite truck) so don't take this post as a wii-bash....

It seems to be that wii-owners have this idea that 360 and ps3 games aren't fun. I don't know how many hours i've logged in fight night round 3 and ghost recon. probably the most fun gaming experience ive had in a long time is playing graw ranked matches on live. and even tho i dont have a ps3, for the last couple days ive been spending my lunch playing the demo of nba 07 at target.

im assuming that the wii is fun, even tho my 10 minutes of gaming didn't give me that impression (my gf LOVED it tho, but she's a nintendo whore), but that doesn't mean xbox 360 or ps3 games cant be as fun or more fun than the wii

ne0-reloaded said:
It seems to be that wii-owners have this idea that 360 and ps3 games aren't fun. I don't know how many hours i've logged in fight night round 3 and ghost recon. probably the most fun gaming experience ive had in a long time is playing graw ranked matches on live. and even tho i dont have a ps3, for the last couple days ive been spending my lunch playing the demo of nba 07 at target.
Not true. We've got a 360, ps2, and all the older systems here as well. This is just a new kind of fun, and I (we) really like it.

The wii sounds really good. My friend has a 360 and i wasn't that impressed even with gears of war and all of those recon games. I just feel like graphics don't matter that much anymore since every system and the comp look nearly the same. I would understand if it was the snes to n64 graphics but its not. I am a nintendo fan to so i think the wii is gonna be great. Might get it soon. I'm tired of pc ports on the xbox cuz i have a pc already that can handle everything. I feel like the controller on the wii is more next gen than the graphics part thats for sure this generation. Updating graphics doesn't give the same effect like it use to. I would much rather sacrifice graphics to a certain limit to get better gameplay anyday. I think the wii delivered that. Plus its cheaper and it justifies the price big time ;). ps3 is way over priced thats for sure. Not everyone has 600 dollars just for a gaming machine. Hardcore poeple but thats mostly it. 360s ok but it doesn't bring anything other than new graphics to the table. Nintendo i think has a hit this time around. From the way things look right now, ps3 looks like its gonna be 3rd place. Have to see what happens. :cool:

I just feel like graphics don't matter that much anymore since every system and the comp look nearly the same. I would understand if it was the snes to n64 graphics but its not.

I hope you're not including the Wii in that comparison. The difference between the Wii and the 360 is huge. The Wii most certainly does not look as good as a computer and is nowhere near the level of the 360.

cb9fl said:
I hope you're not including the Wii in that comparison. The difference between the Wii and the 360 is huge. The Wii most certainly does not look as good as a computer and is nowhere near the level of the 360.

I feel like that should read: The Wii most certainly does not look as good as the 360 and is nowhere near the level of a PC. PC will always be top of the heap!

ne0-reloaded said:
It seems to be that wii-owners have this idea that 360 and ps3 games aren't fun.

A lot and I mean a lot of people are talking about how they are buying a wii to go with their 360 insted of buying a ps3.

Overall I think the wii is a great system. It is just second to my xbox.

swatbat said:
A lot and I mean a lot of people are talking about how they are buying a wii to go with their 360 insted of buying a ps3.

It's what I did..... I had a 360, and got a wii to sit next to it. I've been playing the wii/zelda pretty much non stop since I got it. Love it so far. I'm sure I'll get a ps3 sometime in the future, when through some act of god they become cheaper, and the games I'm interested in come out, which will probably be in a year or 2.

Are the graphics on the wii as good as the 360, no, but honestly I haven't thought about the graphics the entire time I've been playing it, except when thinking about these discussions, and even then, zelda looks good, maybe I'm blind but it looks good to me, GoW is far far better, of course. I have no clue where I'm going with this, but the graphics don't bother me at all, in fact I was pleasantly surprised how good they were, were my expectations too low, or my standards too low, I dono.

Wii reminds me of the dreamcast (which sits on the other side of the 360, maybe I just like white consoles), and that's a good thing, imho.

swatbat said:

Overall I think the wii is a great system. It is just second to my xbox.

Yea, I'm buying a Wii, but I still will use my pc for gaming as well, and I might pick up a 360 later after a price drop, ps3 I might get when it's price goes under 300$ but untill then it's skipable.

sculelos said:
Yea, I'm buying a Wii, but I still will use my pc for gaming as well

Thats what i did; in my opinion the Wii and PC are perfect compliments. The PC allows you to play all the hardcore PC titles in better visual quality than a 360/PS3, and the Wii gives you the ability to play all the innovative new games (as well as all the decent titles I missed by not having a GameCube).

Back