Wi-Fi Could Cause Generational Birth Defects

HardOCP News

[H] News
A British scientist claims that Wi-Fi is killing us all! Alright, maybe not "killing us" but two headed children are definitely a possibility.

A British scientist and former naval microwave weapons expert has waded into the debate over the safety of wireless networks in Canadian schools, warning if left unchecked, generations could face genetic disorders.

Funny how parents will latch onto pretty much any theory, Wi-Fi, immunizations, death rays, etc for why their kids are not as they think they should be. There were droves of people convinced radio and TV signals were cooking our brains back in the day, and here we still are.

Guess who is evolving faster than this shit killing death ray mumbo jumbo??

Being geeky pays off Darwinian style?

Guess who is evolving faster than this shit killing death ray mumbo jumbo??

Being geeky pays off Darwinian style?

His argument actually suggests, if it were true, that what will happen is a possible acceleration of genetic mutations. This in turn suggests a possible acceleration of evolution.

So those "death rays" that you're suggesting we evolve an immunity to might actually speed up achieving any possible immunity. Kind of a crummy death ray eh?

Although seriously, the likelihood that any of those things will happen is ridiculously slim.

Anyone that PayPals Kyle the $50. Ask for a refund if it involves a picture of Steve in his bra.
:D

Funny how parents will latch onto pretty much any theory, Wi-Fi, immunizations, death rays, etc for why their kids are not as they think they should be. There were droves of people convinced radio and TV signals were cooking our brains back in the day, and here we still are.

On second thought, look at the kids in our schools :eek:

I put my personal feelings aside and looked that the facts and tests of the effects, and yes he is telling the truth.

A cold hard fact.

Personally, I don't think "unnatural" signals are necessarily good for you. For example: go back 2000 years when you didn't have wifi, AM/FM, digital/analog TV, cell towers, etcetera being broadcasted and flooded into the open air.

Now I am not saying I know to what extent "wifi" in particular might do as far as damage, but it isn't something mankind was once exposed to on a regular basis. Perhaps the negative effects of wifi on our bodies is too minimal (yet as we *cough*evolve*cough* er mutate for every generation of people down the road...) damage to really notice.

It's kind of like putting a frog in a pot of water where the water temperature is comfortable to the frog. Gradually and slowly over time, you bring the water to a boil. Frog dies in boiling water. However, if you just tossed the frog straight into boiling water (extreme contrast comparison here), the frog would immediately just jump back out.

I have also heard -- have yet to test because I'm way too lazy -- that if you put a radio or walky-talky in front of a microwave that is microwaving something, the signal gets distorted and made static despite there being a microwave shield.

Oh well, but none of this really matters anyway, because everything tends towards chaos and destruction anyway (we mutate, not evolve; history repeats itself, and it'll repeat itself to ignorance).

Trower said there are no scientific studies that categorically state there is no harm from prolonged exposure.
That's not how science works guy. Produce a study that categorically states there is harm from prolonged minor exposure to wi-fi networks. Until then you're speculating.

"What you are doing in schools is transmitting at low levels," said Trower, who teaches at Britain's Dartmoor College
Umm, I think they mean South Dartmoor Community College which is equivalent to a US high school.

and holds a degree in physics.
From Cereal Box University? A quick google search of barrie trower brings up all kinds of crazy wireless conspiracy theory sites and a bunch of sites using this guys rantings as an excuse to sell useless shit like the ANTI-RADIATION AIR TUBE HEADSET!!!11

These people would probably shoot themselves if they had any idea how much naturally occurring electromagnetic radiation is passing through them every second of every day of their entire lives.

People are getting dumber. I won't argue about that. But it's not Wi-Fi's fault.

Of course not! it's TV radiation that ruined our kids!

heheh, just joking around. I actually think the problems have to do with moral discipline. Anyways, back on topic, I think we should worry more about the use of our kitchen microwave than wifi. It's the focused radiation that hurts us most. Our bodies are designed to take large amounts of radiation (usually from the earth) and repair it's own DNA. And it's constantly happening.

I agree that weeying about those other things is silly, but if someone wants to put a Death Ray™ in my house, I may actually be concerned :p

That's not how science works guy. Produce a study that categorically states there is harm from prolonged minor exposure to wi-fi networks. Until then you're speculating.

Well, that depends.

If you want to introduce a new drug or medical device to the market you have to prove to the FDA's satisfaction that it is safe and effective. You can't just launch it without evidence until somoene proves that it is harmful and then withdraw it. (though this is sometimes what it appears as if they do to an outside observer)

umm.... Sun. It's all protons folks. The sun emits everything from microwave to infrared visible, ultraviolet, x and gamma. Frequencies much higher than Wifi and you can sure as hell bet at alot more power than 30 to 100 milli watts.......

Whatever defects Wi-Fi may cause will be negated by cell phones' 3G and 4G signals. :cool: :p

I believe it, I look at kids with cell phones almost surgically attached to either their head or their thumbs and I see how flipping retarded they are.

Zarathustra[H];1036099417 said:
Well, that depends.

If you want to introduce a new drug or medical device to the market you have to prove to the FDA's satisfaction that it is safe and effective. You can't just launch it without evidence until somoene proves that it is harmful and then withdraw it. (though this is sometimes what it appears as if they do to an outside observer)

Yes, by a double blind clinical trial. We have an ongoing study that shows, generally speaking, that there are know know issues with prolonged wifi exposure. We have tons of tech workers cranking out babies surround by wifi 24/7 and those babies are no more or less mutated than others.

The professor of radio crazy is still wrong.

Personally, I don't think "unnatural" signals are necessarily good for you. For example: go back 2000 years when you didn't have wifi, AM/FM, digital/analog TV, cell towers, etcetera being broadcasted and flooded into the open air.

Now I am not saying I know to what extent "wifi" in particular might do as far as damage, but it isn't something mankind was once exposed to on a regular basis. Perhaps the negative effects of wifi on our bodies is too minimal (yet as we *cough*evolve*cough* er mutate for every generation of people down the road...) damage to really notice.

It's kind of like putting a frog in a pot of water where the water temperature is comfortable to the frog. Gradually and slowly over time, you bring the water to a boil. Frog dies in boiling water. However, if you just tossed the frog straight into boiling water (extreme contrast comparison here), the frog would immediately just jump back out.

I have also heard -- have yet to test because I'm way too lazy -- that if you put a radio or walky-talky in front of a microwave that is microwaving something, the signal gets distorted and made static despite there being a microwave shield.

Oh well, but none of this really matters anyway, because everything tends towards chaos and destruction anyway (we mutate, not evolve; history repeats itself, and it'll repeat itself to ignorance).

Sure let's go back 2000 years to before we had all of this man made radiation floating around... The average lifespan was around 28 years. Now it's 78 if you're lucky enough to live in a developed country.

Of course these two details have nothing to do with each other. The increase in life span has more to do with sanitation and keeping our cesspools away from our drinking wells than it does radio waves.

We're not talking about ionizing radiation here. Wi-fi can't knock holes in your DNA. We're going to be fine.

When it comes to radiation I'm far more concerned about the sun I am my router.

Yes, by a double blind clinical trial. We have an ongoing study that shows, generally speaking, that there are know know issues with prolonged wifi exposure. We have tons of tech workers cranking out babies surround by wifi 24/7 and those babies are no more or less mutated than others.

The professor of radio crazy is still wrong.

Well, actually, this guy's concern seems to be with the affects of wifi on children. Therefore you could not adaquately refute his claims until you study the defect rates of the tech workers grandchildren. Your "study" will have to continue into the next generation.

When it comes to radiation I'm far more concerned about the sun I am my router.

This.

umm.... Sun. It's all protons folks. The sun emits everything from microwave to infrared visible, ultraviolet, x and gamma. Frequencies much higher than Wifi and you can sure as hell bet at alot more power than 30 to 100 milli watts.......

But that's good ol' wholesome natural radiation, we're talking about that spooky man-made artificial kind.

Reading these sorts of articles and the posts made by their supporters gives me nausea and makes me feel depressed. I must have retard emissions syndrome.

People are just afraid of WiFi and cell towers because they don't understand them. They think that the "radiation" itself is digital in some way when it's only the information carried by the radio waves that is digital.

People understand normal FM or AM radio and broadcast TV, so they're not afraid of them even though it's the same thing. There's no naturally defining "line" between VHF and microwave, it's just a man-made definition. But when they hear "microwave", they think of microwave ovens and think we're all getting fried :rolleyes:

It was the same when radio and TV were introduced, and actually again with the introduction of color television. People are afraid of the unknown.

WiFi is light. So is Radio/TV, Microwaves, etc. It can't hurt you, or we'd have been dead billions of years ego.

/argument. Give me Wi-Fi!

We're not talking about ionizing radiation here. Wi-fi can't knock holes in your DNA. We're going to be fine.

Radiation doesn't need to be ionizing to mess up one's DNA, or cause other severe harm. Take a microwave oven for example.

The earth has been bombarded with radio waves since it was formed. We didn't invent radio waves, after all. So yes, 2000 years ago there was still 2.4ghz radio waves hitting mankind on a regular basis. All sorts of astronomical objects produce them, that is how radio telescopes work, after all. It's also why you hear static on "empty" radio stations.

That's why all this crock about them harming us or people feeling them is ridiculous. You have *always* been exposed to radio waves. Wifi is very low power, it isn't harming anything.

Radiation doesn't need to be ionizing to mess up one's DNA, or cause other severe harm. Take a microwave oven for example.

A microwave oven will only cause damage through heating. It doesn't cause cancer or anything, just heats shit up. So a microwave won't mess with your DNA, either, except through heat damage.

OK... I'll take a microwave oven as an example. Continue your thought as to what you think a microwave oven does to your DNA.

That's what I get for replying to the guy who replied to me without reading the whole thread.

But yeah, the only danger from 2.5ghz radiation is localized heating of fats, sugars and water. It has a 12cm wavelength. It can't knock bits out of your DNA. We're also talking about more than 1000 watts for most microwave ovens, and less than 100mW for Wi-Fi. Which is a difference of... A lot.

Yeah, if you stare into the sun it will blind you therefore all light must be bad for you.

We're also talking about more than 1000 watts for most microwave ovens, and less than 100mW for Wi-Fi. Which is a difference of... A lot.

To be precise, that would make the microwave oven 10,000 times more powerful that the Wi-Fi transmitter.
This is otherwise represented as a 999,900% increase in signal strength.

So yeah, BIG difference. :D

OK... I'll take a microwave oven as an example. Continue your thought as to what you think a microwave oven does to your DNA.

I'm not a biologist so I couldn't say exactly, but certainly there will be heat damage to the DNA, probably in some chaotic way. Additionally, while non-ionizing, the energy delivered by a photon to DNA can cause undesirable damage in predictable ways - skin cancer from UV exposure being a common example.

My point was not to say that WiFi is problematic, but that you can't dismiss the claims on the basis of the radiation being non-ionizing; we know of lot's of non-ionizing radiation which is particularly harmful to the human body.

A microwave oven will only cause damage through heating.

This isn't true. Non-ionizing radiation can do stuff other than just heating.

Off the top of my head, if the photon has enough energy to overcome the work function (typically a fraction of the ionization energy), then you could well see electrical currents induced in the material. Additionally, putting chemical structures in excited states can cause all sorts of undesirable behaviour.

Again, I'm not trying to claim that WiFi is dangerous, but the "non-ionizing radiation" counter that I hear every time this topic gets brought up, is not a scientific refutation to the claims at all.

jimmyb, you just described ionizing radiation. Radiation with photons that have enough energy to knock bits of molecules and atoms around.

UV is the part of the spectrum between visible light, which is non-ionizing, and x-rays, which are ionizing. The higher energy/shorter wavelength part of the UV spectrum is ionizing. The lower energy/longer wavelength part of the UV spectrum is non-ionizing. All UV can damage collagen and lead to aging, but only some causes cancer.

Microwaves are in a totally different part of the spectrum, on the other side of visible light and infrared from UV and x-rays. Microwaves have much longer wavelengths. 2.5ghz, like your oven, has a wavelength of 12cm. UV has wavelengths from 400nm down to 40nm. Yet another difference of... A lot. As you get to shorter wavelengths the energy carried by the photons increases quite dramatically. It is only the high energy / short wavelength radiation that you need to worry about damaging your DNA and leading to cancer and other mutations.

Back