Why you should never buy a Toshiba.

Rycon

Weaksauce
http://bayimg.com/baIDIAaBe <-- copy and paste into browser

Well im at work and we have this peice of crap toshiba (Laptop) overheating. To make a long story short we hate toshiba and cant find any drivers for it ANYWHERE, but it doesnt really matter anyway because the thing runs so hot under load (Just putting your hand on the side vent, its almost burning under normal conditions) at about 48c idle.

So, we are going to burn the shit out of it, and surprisingly.. we cant even do that. We have been running TAT for the last 20 mins at 100c, it only took a few mins to get there. Windows seems to run normally (But Slowly) even under these conditions, keep in mind this is a fresh install of XPSP2 and no drivers are installed, we litterly want this thing to burn so we can return it to toshiba (Not to scam them mind you, we dont mind paying, we just need a reason to return it)

Anyway, this is just insane because it wont even go past 100, im guessing TAT has a cap.

Pretty insane huh? Anybody have any ideas how I can burn this mofo even more?

Well if it isn't shutting down or throttling then it isn't overheating.
Did you try calling and asking for drivers?

Who cares what all these temp programs say if the laptop works? As previous poster says, if it's not throttling or shutting down, it's not overheating. (and perhaps use coretemp instead of TAT.)

As for drivers, have you actually tried going onto the toshiba support site and looking for the drivers? If that doesn't work, and I know this is a weird, wild idea, asking toshiba support for the drivers?

If you have a legit reason to RMA it, just do it, stop moaning about useless things or trying to burn a working laptop.

I have 2 Toshiba laptops, and both are fantastic. I actually recommend Toshiba's over others as I have had zilch issues with them.

Onto the topic at hand, if its too hot, contact Toshiba. I know depending on what I do that the fan kicks out some hot air on mine, but not enough to burn unless the fan intake is blocked on the bottom.

Do you have the original disc that came with it? Toshiba packages one with the drivers/utilities on it I believe.

How old is this laptop? About 3-4 years ago Toshiba had a line of laptops out that was notorious for overheating problems. Every person I knew with this laptop had heat problems with it. However I have one that's that old, but a different model, and hasn't had any heat problems.

Well for one thing, the toshiba website sux, finding drivers is next to impossible, even finding them on the internet is apparently impossible, and I can usually find anything. I dont want to call toshiba because that would be what I call.. PAIN, waiting on hold forever just for some arabic guy tell me there not going to RMA it because I wont go through there 4 hour long diagnostic over the phone. HP on the other hand will send a box out no problem and not make you suffer, of course I dont know this for sure about toshiba (Dell and Netgear do it for sure, and people have told me Toshiba does it too) but i really dont care to test.

We dont have the CD's that came with it, and we wouldnt want them anyway because it comes loaded with crap.

It is throttling I believe, I think its a 2 ghz and you can see its throttling to 1.8

I dont know why you would recomend toshiba as they are one of the worst brands I have seen yet, there website support is basicly horrible, I dare not test there phone. HP and IBM are the much better.

In any case its pretty insane that it can even survive at 100c, I thought that was impossible.

What is the model of the laptop? There has only been 1 Tos laptop drivers I was unable to find on their site, but managed to find on a part per part basis once I knew the specs.

Every Toshiba laptop I've owned has not performed well. I got a Thinkpad in 1997 and never looked back. First one lasted nearly 7 years, until the PCMCIA slot (supposedly rated for 32 bit cards) fried on a 32 bit PCMCIA card. Second one died after 2 years of abuse (dropping, sand from the Middle East, vibration from use in-flight, etc). Third one is going strong...

I've had my Toshiba L2 laptop for 2 years now. No problems whatsoever. I did invest in a decent laptop cooler. I rarely feel hot air coming out of the side vent when using it. Although when I loaded Vista on it, it ran the cpu fan on high almost constantly, so I went back to XP.

I use to be a toshiba certified tech and must say I don't recomend them to anyone either. I will say though that toshibas internal site for techs is pretty good though. I can prob get you the drivers if it comes down to it as my login still works(I just let the cert expire a while ago)

My issues with toshiba come from a few years ago when they had a few major shortages of parts including lcd panels(parts being backordered for over a month on a new system were pretty common). Also the pentium 4 15.4 notebooks had mjor issues(the a75 was real bad). Got tired of checking fans, dc jacks(and glueing them per toshibas notes), fixing top panels then 6 months later replacing them due to another issues with them, etc.

Seems like quality control issues. What I have found is that companies usually go in cycles.

Well I would have you get the drivers if you can get em easily but I think shes about to die, its throttling down to 1 ghz now that i covered the vent hole.. lol it feels so cruel.

Seems like mixed feelings for toshiba, some people have had no problems, ive just seen crappy quality stuff from them and bad support.

i've owned three toshiba laptops since 2002.
i've used them mainly for gaming on the go.
I have not had any problem with any of the three and all are still running today.

Well I would have you get the drivers if you can get em easily but I think shes about to die, its throttling down to 1 ghz now that i covered the vent hole.. lol it feels so cruel.

Seems like mixed feelings for toshiba, some people have had no problems, ive just seen crappy quality stuff from them and bad support.

I use to think of them as pretty good untill I started repairing them and saw how many came in vs sony, hp/compaq, gateway, etc. I will say the business class toshiba notebooks are a lot better then the consumer ones though.

If you are just going to kill it anyway, send it to me.. I'll pay shipping. It is SO easy to fix overheating problems with laptops.

#1 Take the heatsink off, clean the crap TIM off, and use some real stuff.

#2 clean the dust/hair/whatever out of the heatsink fins and out of the fan.

That TIM change should drop it by 5-15c by itself, maybe more depending on how crappy the stock stuff is.

If you are just going to kill it anyway, send it to me.. I'll pay shipping. It is SO easy to fix overheating problems with laptops.

#1 Take the heatsink off, clean the crap TIM off, and use some real stuff.

#2 clean the dust/hair/whatever out of the heatsink fins and out of the fan.

That TIM change should drop it by 5-15c by itself, maybe more depending on how crappy the stock stuff is.

Generaly that is what it takes but the op hasn't listed the model number of the system. If he did I could check and see if it is a known issue. A lot of times a model will have a bad batch of fans or something and you need to replace the heatsink fan combo(unless you can find just the fan which is rare). Some had issues with the heatpipes on them as well(don't remember who that was but I don't think it was toshiba).

Well perhpas i should change this thread to Why you SHOULD buy a toshiba, we cannot kill this thing no matter what we do.. we ran it for hours at 100c with the vent covered and inside a plastic bag.. it throttled back so much it shut down, we thought we had killed it, i cooled off the heatsink on the side and it booted right back up... damn..

Well.. im pretty sure its just the intel proc using counter measures so it doesnt die, doenst really reflect on toshiba, just good proc.

Well for one thing, the toshiba website sux, finding drivers is next to impossible, even finding them on the internet is apparently impossible, and I can usually find anything.

Here are some drivers but apparently you are determined to destroy the machine. Whatever, but posting under the title "Why you should never buy a Toshiba." tells me more than you want to hear. "Why I hate the Toshiba I have ", now that would have worked.

(two versions of your Model are listed, check for the correct one)

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe....ode=allMachines&action=search&teddProduct=664

You cant kill a core 2 duo with heat, as you found out it will just shutdown and when cool start back up.

Sell the damn thing on Ebay or something. This is so stupid.

Why would you even attempt to kill a 1 year old laptop?

I could understand like a thinkpad with a celeron proc, and a bad screen worth less than $20... but that thing is still worth something...

Well, mabye we were wrong about being such a bad laptop, it does have some really stupid things about it (Like the worst bios interface and options ever), but after all that punishment the laptop seems fine.

I guess we are going to try and rebuild it with the drivers Bill has provided, im surprised he could find em but then again I didnt look for very long. Thanks for the help, we will see if we can give it another try.

no problems with my toshiba laptops...website is easy once you read what its asking you?

Back