Why We DC

My great-grandmother passed from Alzheimers, grandmother and aunt are breast cancer survivors, another aunt is a leukemia survivor. Just found out my mother has been diagnosed with a pretty aggressive form of breast cancer. She is currently scheduling the surgery to have her other breast removed (already did one). Hopefully add the "survivor" tag to her when all is said and done. Keep folding.

My great-grandmother passed from Alzheimers, grandmother and aunt are breast cancer survivors, another aunt is a leukemia survivor. Just found out my mother has been diagnosed with a pretty aggressive form of breast cancer. She is currently scheduling the surgery to have her other breast removed (already did one). Hopefully add the "survivor" tag to her when all is said and done. Keep folding.

My payers for you mom. Let her know we all wish her well.

Fold on brethren!

It's a sad thing, but for some reason this thread required a bump.

My prayers are also with your Mom, I pray desperately that she'll overcome that bull crap called cancer. I know the sinking feeling of loosing your Mom, my mother "passed away" many moons ago from that !@#$%^ (thoroughly fu*ked up disease) called "breast cancer" (she had what was called at that time and probably still is a "radical mastectomy" ?) Or something like that, I ain't no Doctor and my main fight against diseases is folding and Band-Aids with "ducks" on em' :rolleyes:)

Thanks for bein' on the team and "if Gods willin' and the freakin' creek don't rise" we're gonna' help medical science and Stanford U. find a cure for that shite called cancer and hopefully some other !@#$%^ diseases.

FOLD ON!

I started to DC again because it's a fun and competetive way to rank my hardware (tho I'm not folding competetively). Trying to maximize your PPD is like trying to get the highest 3-D marks, except actually USEFUL in terms of helping society. Hardware enthusiasts may be elitists with their expensive hardware, but we also play a significant role in progressing the DC community. :D

I fold today for their tomorrows.
I fold today that I might ease their sorrows.

I fold today for those not met.
I fold today for those I'll never forget.

I fold today that I might ease their grief.
I fold today for someone's relief.

I fold today.
I willfold tomorrow!

0.png

Wow, this is an awesome thread!

I fold for my grandmother who lost all of her memory about a year before she died to Alzheimers. It was difficult for everyone including her, because she could see when she didn't remember who we were, that it saddened us, and so she'd make a joke or something, because she never liked people to be sad.

I fold for my Uncle-in-Law who died of cancer two Thanksgivings ago. I fold for my Grandfather-in-Law who died two weeks before him from cancer. Both of them died before I was able to get to know them well, which is really sad.

I fold for my grandmother who lost all of her memory about a year before she died to Alzheimers. It was difficult for everyone including her, because she could see when she didn't remember who we were, that it saddened us, and so she'd make a joke or something, because she never liked people to be sad.

Man, that reminds me of my own grandmother. Besides my reasons of folding I stated a few posts above, I fold for my grandmother, who I met for the first time recently. She's suffering from a severe case of Alzheimers. To illustrate how bad it is, she asked my dad if he got married yet :eek:.

Last month was my first visit to my parents' home country, Vietnam. I just got back this week. It's kind of a shame I didn't get to meet her when she was in good health. I kind of doubt she understood who I was, even when told directly. It's safe to say her time is coming soon.

The Eyes Have It.
/snip
Have you ever seen a frightened child?
Terror in a toddler's eyes?
I pray you never do...
/snip
Thus I ask; "Do you care?"
-relic

Fu*k, unfortunately, like many people throughout the world, I too have seen the eyes of a frightened and hungry child and IMO it sucks big time. (unfortunately in war zones there are just too many) :mad:

Not goin' into some "tear jerkin', pious, long story about my personal reasons for folding and by the way IMO personal is where it's at. I don't want any praise from anyone because like most folders I fold for the cure and IMO what some overbearing, tryin' to sound intelligent, but really a freakin' fool, tryin' to be "all knowing" and is really a jerk off type individual is thinking (and I use that term "thinking" very loosely :p) is not important to me in the least. ;)

With that said, I want to thank all the team 33 folders (both big and small) and I want to say between Mr relic, nomad8u and all the other talented people on this forum thanks for
the great inspiration thru poetry.

Edit: You know in this world today it's simply amazing to me how so many talented people, with hardly any similarities in culture, religous background, national identity and yes, even sexual preference or sexual identity :)eek: even woman folders, only kiddin' leSLIe and Syribo) can come together in a friendly way and in harmony to work for the benefit of mankind/womankind (no homophobic or neanderthal feelings here ;)) is an example of the advancement in human compassion (and we's got a long way to go)

When I say "friendly" I don't mean we can't "kibbutz" each other. Oh.. BTW, I was not referring to anyones wonderful post in this thread, I was just pointing out my personal ideas to myself :)

FOLD ON FOR THE CURE AND FOLD ON TO WHIP THOSE DISEASES A*SSES

Nice post, jws.

We fold together because together we are stronger, more dedicated and push ourselves harder. DC takes the possibilities of an individual and limitlessly expands our capabilities. Through camaraderie and friendship we can acomplish incredible things.

Fold on.

You know in this world today it's simply amazing to me how so many talented people, with hardly any similarities in culture, religous background, national identity and yes, even sexual preference or sexual identity :)eek: even woman folders, only kiddin' leSLIe and Syribo) can come together in a friendly way and in harmony to work for the benefit of mankind/womankind (no homophobic or neanderthal feelings here ;)) is an example of the advancement in human compassion (and we's got a long way to go)

FOLD ON FOR THE CURE AND FOLD ON TO WHIP THOSE DISEASES A*SSES

Well said jws... well said indeed.

It is indeed amazing the effort, time and financial resources that are expended on (what I believe) is this most worthy of causes. Without any real promise of success, so many push forward with the hope that someday, their efforts will be rewarded by the advancement in the fight to combat suffering and disease.

0.png

Well... after the fun week it's been in the DC Community, I thought y'all could use some lovin. So I went off in search of this thread because frankly reading relics' prose always picks me up when it's tough going. I found it sitting on page 17 all lonely and forgotten.

After taking the time to re-read it, I'm feeling much better. So I decided to take the time and dedicate a little something to the [H]ard-Assed DCers here who give so much, ask so little in return and continue to fold on day in, day out regardless of the stumbling blocks

My Folding Friend

I met him on the path one day.
Under a sky cold, gray, I asked him if he knew the way.

The path to the goal. To the lair of the Beast.
The means, the way to halt his feast.

He looked at me with eyes steely but still.
Silently he points off in the distance. To the tallest hill.

I need but some help. Some direction from him.
Do we do this for glory? Is it only a whim?

With nary a word he turns and trudges off round the bend.
And sudden realization comes to me. That means to an end.

He struggles and stumbles but continues onward toward that hill.
Though I am but small in his shadow. Follow him I will!

Well said nomad. Its good to bring this back up especially after all the venting about the folding forum today and have a reminder why we're here doing this. Shame it slipped down that far.

My Folding Friend

I met him on the path one day.
Under a sky cold, gray, I asked him if he knew the way.

The path to the goal. To the lair of the Beast.
The means, the way to halt his feast.

He looked at me with eyes steely but still.
Silently he points off in the distance. To the tallest hill.

I need but some help. Some direction from him.
Do we do this for glory? Is it only a whim?

With nary a word he turns and trudges off round the bend.
And sudden realization comes to me. That means to an end.

He struggles and stumbles but continues onward toward that hill.
Though I am but small in his shadow. Follow him I will!

Very nice. Thank you so much. :)

I made a wrong turn onetime while in the Hershey Med Center. I had walked into the children's cancer section. It was one of the very few times I was at a total loss for words and was overcome with a horrible feeling of helplesness followed by anger.

I got that same feeling watching my father die and my mother in law die from the beast.

All of those are feelings I would give anything not to feel again, ever.

I saw my sister in law die of breast cancer at a young age. Then on July 3, our youngest daughter called and informed us that she had cancer. That totally devastated us. She's got a long row to hoe with chemo and surgery. I have a very personal stake in folding.

I saw my sister in law die of breast cancer at a young age. Then on July 3, our youngest daughter called and informed us that she had cancer. That totally devastated us. She's got a long row to hoe with chemo and surgery. I have a very person stake in folding.

My heart felt condolences go out to you and yours. My prayers are for your youngest daughter to be cured of that nasty disease called "breast cancer". I also lost a very, very loved one to that fugged up disease. I lost my real mother to "breast cancer" 40+ yrs ago. My mother was only 37 yrs old at the time and I understand the "personal stake" you have in finding a cure thru folding. :)

Fortunately, like many people, I intend to help find a cure thru folding for many of the !@#$%^& diseases that have prayed on mankind for millenniums. :mad:

So to put it all in a "nut shell" :rolleyes:, please tell your youngest daughter I wish and pray for her to be cured of "breast cancer".

If this came off as some kind of a "tear jerker" it wasn't meant to. I apologise in advance if it did. I only wanted to offer some type of "mental support" by telling the OP I have similar experiences with "breast cancer" (unfortunately, I'm not even close to being by myself :mad:). While I feel no one can actually feel other peoples pain all I can do is kind of identify with them and try to offer them "mental support". ;)

So please everyone FOLD, FOLD and more FOLD no matter freaking what :eek:

This thread is epic it reduces this big Scottish hard man to tears every time. I don't fold for the [H]orde but I DO fold on everything that will fold, a quote from my home forum from a big Scottish hard man
(quote) Just tried this song on Audiosurf and was destroyed, It brings back memories of My Sister she died of cancer 7 years ago, leaving 2 daughters 3 grandchildren and a fecking great hole in my family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdnhBP2tWY

(/quote)

My heart felt condolences go out to you and yours. My prayers are for your youngest daughter to be cured of that nasty disease called "breast cancer". I also lost a very, very loved one to that fugged up disease. I lost my real mother to "breast cancer" 40+ yrs ago. My mother was only 37 yrs old at the time and I understand the "personal stake" you have in finding a cure thru folding. :)

Fortunately, like many people, I intend to help find a cure thru folding for many of the !@#$%^& diseases that have prayed on mankind for millenniums. :mad:

So to put it all in a "nut shell" :rolleyes:, please tell your youngest daughter I wish and pray for her to be cured of "breast cancer".

If this came off as some kind of a "tear jerker" it wasn't meant to. I apologise in advance if it did. I only wanted to offer some type of "mental support" by telling the OP I have similar experiences with "breast cancer" (unfortunately, I'm not even close to being by myself :mad:). While I feel no one can actually feel other peoples pain all I can do is kind of identify with them and try to offer them "mental support". ;)

So please everyone FOLD, FOLD and more FOLD no matter freaking what :eek:

My daughter has Ovarian and Liver cancer. It's just not a pretty picture

I have no story to recant.
I have no prayers to recite.

I fold because, someday, somewhere, no matter how insignificant, I hope folding helps somone in some positive fashion.

I have no story to recant.
I have no prays to recite.

I fold because, someday, somewhere, no matter how insignificant, I hope folding helps somone in some positive fashion.

Believe me brother oraldlight I wish, with all my heart and sole, I didn't have any "story to recant". In all honesty I had to look up the word "recant" and I think it's a common "belief" or "public statement" to wish your mother hadn't died when she was only 37 yrs old. Hell, I'll be 60 yrs old next year and to me 37 yrs old is too young to die.

I honestly hope you never have a story to recant :rolleyes:

BTW: Like too many sent to Viet Nam in the late '60's I've learned there's not much use in wishing :D

FOLD ON!

Sometimes you can't do something to the degree you want to... as in helping. However, sometimes it's the simple, little things that make a big differnece.

I've seem my share of pain and suffering, negligence, and questionable politics being practiced. Maybe this humble little act of folding can help make just a bit of diference when/where needed most.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1334021

I gotta add this one to the thread. It is from Relic. August 8, 2008.

Today I hit 5 million points in the f@h2 project...when I started folding that was an unattainable goal...an impossible dream.

There was a time when an individual 50PPD was a pipe dream and 5000PPD for this team was an impossible goal.

There was a time when we were ridiculed as "15 year old punks" who would never amount to anything, let alone becoming the top DC team on the planet.

There was a time when I felt like I was the only person who believed in you all.
Well, damn it, I WAS RIGHT to believe in you.

What I never realized, was that you believed in me, and I think I let some of you down.
I'm sorry that I was away for so long, and I am so very glad that you were still here when I returned.

I usually use my own words, but today I will edit some words that have always held special meaning for me. With due respect to Joe Darion and the many contributors to "Man of La Mancha"

Dare you dream the impossible dream?
Will you fight the unbeatable foe?
Would you bear with unbearable sorrow?
Dare you run where the brave dare not go?

Will you right the unrightable wrong?
Will you love those only known from afar?
Will you try when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star?

This is our quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if we'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That our heart will lie peaceful and calm
When we're laid to our rest

And the world will be better from us
This one team, scorned and disparaged by all
Still strove with their last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star.

[H]ard is a road, not a destination.

Yesterday I learned that a former classmate of my daughter who was also in my wife's class for a while has been diagnosed with Leukemia. His odds don't sound very good.

Fold on!

Bumpage for a very worthy thread, I fold for another team eek scary yes there are other teams. I fold because My mum has Alzheimers and because at 12:45 AM today Alzheimers took the life of my Uncle John Cuthbertson Fraser . Fold on fight this crap

Thanks for the bump Spike. This thread has been buried way too deep and I'm sure there's tons of newer DCers who haven't seen it yet.

I'm returning to folding because the 2 of my closest friends who have each lost a parent to cancer in the last 2.5 years, and to the one who just lost his mom.

I'm returning to folding because the 2 of my closest friends who have each lost a parent to cancer in the last 2.5 years, and to the one who just lost his mom.

Welcom back.

I do wish it where for happier reasons.

Fold on!

Started folding about a week ago, got 3 machines folding as of now.
I fold because cancer runs in my family, on both sides, and took a lot of my extended family from me. I fold because my wifes aunt had breast cancer 2 years ago, and it now has returned as bone cancer. I fold because someday, the pain and suffering caused by things like cancer will be no more.

A good friend and coworker informed me that his father was diagnosed with cancer. He is 62 years old. The cancer had consumed one kidney so they removed the entire thing. They also found a spot of cancer inside his liver.

It's truly inspiring to read everybody's posts in this thread. The loss and the pain of the personal stories seems almost unbearable, but the hope and love that is present here overshadows the darkness with ease. I had started folding at a pretty young age, and continued on and off for a while. I thought it was a great thing to be a part of, and a great way to "volunteer" my computer's time. I continue to fold, however, for all the people who are fighting, or have lost the battle with these horrible diseases...

My father has Huntington's Disease I live with it every day, and see the hardships he has to go through to try and have a 'regular' day. I also see the effect it has on my mother who has to watch her soul-mate perish from a very slow, horrible disease. My Grandfather passed away from the disease, my uncle has been diagnosed with it, my brother, our three cousins, and I all have a 50% chance of inheriting it. My Grandmother-in-law, and my mother-in-law were both diagnosed with breast cancer. My mother-in-law has battled cancer, and gone through chemo three separate times. Due to this my fiancée has a very high risk of developing breast cancer in her life. My other grandfather was diagnosed with Prostate cancer shortly before he passed away. Also, my best friend's mother - who was literally a second mother to me when I was growing up - passed away from Breast Cancer after her 3rd bout with it. She was a very beautiful, and strong woman, but couldn't hold out any longer.

May all those who have passed rest in peace, and may our efforts help to save at least a few souls from the grave.

FOLD ON!!

For my grandfather. The guy grew up in the depression and spent the bulk of his life in a factory for sixty+ hours a week. When he finally had the opportunity to retire, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

He is still alive and I treasure my time with him, but it is difficult when he gets myself and my father confused.

For him and the so many people far greater and more deserving of a normal life than myself and for my future children that I hope never see a similar fate.

Last edited:
Today is a good day to present this thread to those that have never seen it.

^^^ Thanks for bumping, I didn't know about this thread.
[reposting what I put in FrEaKy's thread]

Thanks for sharing.

My reasons -
Cancer histories in my (and my extended) family.
-My mother, mother in law, grandmother in law, aunt in law - all had breast cancer (aunt in law passed away this year from it :()
-My father had prostate cancer

Breast cancer in my wife's family is prevalent, and we're both worried she'll get it as well. :(

That's why I fold...in respect to the things my loved ones have been through, and because it's something easy to do and it practically costs nothing (unless it becomes an obsession and you start building farms :D).

I fold because it gives me a nice humanitarian cover story I can use to sell my wife on the idea of keeping a generous supply of computer hardware on hand. It doesn't hurt that the cover story is actually true, but I can't say that I have any grand humanitarian motivation. It's a decent cause, I have the resources to participate (and might have the resources to participate much more very shortly...), and it lets me justify a greater investment in computer stuff. Win, win, win. Seriously a server room would be a tough sell if I only had a NAS and a router to stash, but now when the time comes it's just going to make sense. :cool:

zero2dash-sorry to hear about the family history of cancer and especially the risk factors for your wife. Keep on top of things and ask questions.

While I don't have an immediate family history of cancer, finding it is the family business as it were. I do MRI scans and my wife does mammography. In fact we've had a few patients in common where she'd do the mammogram and I'd do a breast MRI scan.

So besides finding cancer, I fold to help find a cure for cancer and anything else that the project can benefit. When I have a chance I participate in awareness programs such as a booth during a Relay for Life event.

one of my family relatives has passed away from cancer and my grandmother has alzheimers, for their sake and for our generation. Hope this will lead us one step closer to a cure.

Fold on my [H]ard brethren!

Back