Why OLED for PC use?

- sRGB is still *the* standard on PC (as well as phones, etc.) for most everyday applications, including things like photos, where it's still the default. While many modern PCs/monitors support wide gamuts on some level, the entirety of the Internet is mostly sRGB based. That include everything from commercial sites to photo and artistic websites/collections to many games; it's a LOT more than just office work, as some have claimed. Anything with a wider gamut is still the exception, not the rule.
Funny sRGB is the lowest standard that looks as good as office documents. Yet you are not even seeing the most accurate sRGB as it requires 80nits to be the most accurate. So your accuracy standard is in fact lower the lowest lol. It just proves that yours eyes want to see better than whatever the excuse you type.

- HDR is the future, but it's still fairly inconsistent in its implementation and can be very hit or miss, not to mention the various formats and standards. In short, HDR looks great when done properly, but there are a lot of caveats and poor implementations of it as well. In addition, there are adoptions problem, particularly among older people who don't understand it. I sometimes help older people with AV setup and most of them have no idea HDR even exists, let alone how to make sure their TV is set up properly or shows it in the right preset, etc. Younger people tend to have fewer problems, but range switching still has a ways to go before it's truly simple. The system in Windows 11 is a lot better than 10's but still somewhat cumbersome. And the fact that there are all these competing technologies means that HDR setup of some kind to tone map is necessary on most displays; displays that can do high-nit HDR without tone-mapping are also the exception at the moment.
Of course you will say there are poor HDR implementations as another excuse since your OLED accuracy is way off the chart to catch up with the required HDR.
It's very simple to see HDR mode. You just need to turn on HDR to see HDR graded materials. It's that simple.
But it's not simple to see HDR when not every display especially OLED can display it.

- "HDR Effect" modes are included as pseudo-HDR modes on many different TV's and monitors; it has little to do with native device HDR support, which many OLEDS including mine do have; it's for people who like the look and want to do the equivalent of Windows Auto HDR on the display level instead of in software. Personally, I'd never use it as I want to see sRGB in the range as close to the source as possible and find it visually preferable, just as I don't use Auto HDR on Windows 11, but it's nice for the people who do like it.
Yet "HDR Effect" SDR still look better than the dim "HDR" on 27GR95QE. It's all the reason why wide gamut SDR is ironically useful. And I don't even need to use FALD to prove this. The OLED just proves it by its own user.

- SDR is plenty bright on my OLED. (After calibration, I'm at 84 brightness as I didn't need the full 100 to reach my target of 160 nits in a 10% window). HDR is bright enough for me in real-world use and provides a nice level of pop and 10-bit color for bright details. In games, once set up, it looks quite good and I have no real complaints. It'll be nice to eventually have more brightness headroom in a future monitor as HDR evolves, but it's enough for me right now to be able to enjoy it.
160nits is never that bright compared to 400nits wide gamut SDR. But again, if you value the accuracy of sRGB. You would've used sRGB at 80nits. But obviously your eyes won't value so much accuracy because they are not better images to your eyes.

It's fine if you want to see sRGB or low range images but these are worse images compared to HDR.

Hey guess what? That's what I want to see when I'm working. The last thing I want when doing CAD work is to be shot in the eyes by a 2000+ nit sun.

You are utterly convinced that brightness is the only factor in image quality, accuracy be damned (I mean, inaccurately stretching sRGB out to wide gamut is suddenly a good thing now?). And you'll be nasty about it in attempting to prove that point. It's dumb.

Also what's with all the responses starting with "Funny that..." or "Funny you..." etc.? Very inflammatory and pathetic.

Hey guess what? That's what I want to see when I'm working. The last thing I want when doing CAD work is to be shot in the eyes by a 2000+ nit sun.

You are utterly convinced that brightness is the only factor in image quality, accuracy be damned (I mean, inaccurately stretching sRGB out to wide gamut is suddenly a good thing now?). And you'll be nasty about it in attempting to prove that point. It's dumb.

Also what's with all the responses starting with "Funny that..." or "Funny you..." etc.? Very inflammatory and pathetic.
But what about for every 1 Kramnelis there is 100 OLED users kicking and screaming about accuracy and black levels lol they are usually condescending riding high horses like there isn't the other arguably more important aspect to the impact of the image for most general population users? It's refreshing to see someone stick their neck out for what's the real difference between mini led and oled vs a sea of new oled users when it has it's major drawbacks as well.

But what about for every 1 Kramnelis there is 100 OLED users kicking and screaming about accuracy and black levels lol they are usually condescending riding high horses like there isn't the other arguably more important aspect to the impact of the image for most general population users? It's refreshing to see someone stick their neck out for what's the real difference between mini led and oled vs a sea of new oled users when it has it's major drawbacks as well.

They deserve to be ignored too. You've got some strange priorities in life if you're reading this thread and finding it refreshing just because you also don't like OLED.

Just let people use what they like, maybe?

Funny when you start to run your mouth you should've prepared to know what a image is at a base level. It's obviously you have no idea that color is lit by brightness. Color needs brightness to be accurate.

If your monitor give 1nits to white color #FFFFFF then it won't be white. It's called dark grey. You give 0nits to it then it called black.

You got lucky these colors have names to be called upon. You really think 100nits white is the same as 1000nits white? Elvn must have fooled you enough with his useless quotes he doesn't understand lol.

Guys like you don't care about accuracy at all. Ignorance is a bliss. You don't know what accuracy is. You can only pretend to know.

I never said they don't both have major tradeoffs. I prefer per pixel emissive though. It is the goal of display tech in general - and oled, with it's tradeoffs, is the only per pixel emissive available at enthusiast consumer prices currently. VR's next iterations from the major players will all be microOLED pancake lenses in less bulky, goggle-like designs (also with varifocal lenses). Micro-OLED tech can supposedly get very bright and the next gens of VR will be HDR capable (the screens are also right near your eyes so even brighter). Later everything will be microLED per pixel emissive but soon high performing VR kits will be all per pixel emissive HDR well before all tvs / pcs. FALD is a clever stop gap solution for now and it works ok, just depends on what you value most tradeoff wise.

All screens will fail some of the HDR lighting levels + blooming tests you can find online, on youtube in HDR for example. ~ 1400nit FALD screens and 2000+ nit FALDs (though those 2k+ ones currently suffer aggressive ABL) will compress the top end less, or not at all depending on the screen and whether it's hdr1000, hdr4000, or hdr10,000 material - but it will fail some of the bloom tests and even when not outright blooming it will be toning and blending all of the large backlight cells, at best a 45x25 "lighting resolution" .. dropping the contrast and black depth in the surrounding zones toning them brighter, and dimming other masses of pixels in large 7000 pixel cell zones and surrounding zone cells of 7k pixels each. On mixed dim/dark scenes, which is most scenes .. while distant meat of the contrasted areas will be dark vs light, the affected zones will result in much less

Tradeoffs either way. No screens will "pass" all of those kind of tests in total. FALD vs OLED but FALD will get way brighter HDR peaks and have longer sustained. brighter 50% and 100% screen (though most scenes are more mixed than that and scenes are changing dynamically throughout) - while oled will be darkened side by side pixel by pixel next to colorful pixels to a razor's edge. FALD is much brighter and longer sustained but dropped it's lighting resolution from 8million pixels to ~ 1300, and is so non-uniform that sites usually recommend you turn FALD of for doing any sdr desktop work (and back to 1300:1 contrast ratio and the accompany black depths) . . at least currently. FALD has a lot of room to improve so hopefully it will get much higher "lighting resolution" in the future sometime before microLED comes to all enthusiast consumer displays and makes per pixel emissive a standard without large oled's (rather than microOLED's) tradeoffs.

02e42831-ae3e-4541-b019-2b7757dd2f46_text.gif

I never said they don't both have major tradeoffs. I prefer per pixel emissive though. It is the goal of display tech in general - and oled, with it's tradeoffs, is the only per pixel emissive available at enthusiast consumer prices currently. VR's next iterations from the major players will all be microOLED pancake lenses in less bulky, goggle-like designs (also with varifocal lenses). Micro-OLED tech can supposedly get very bright and the next gens of VR will be HDR capable (the screens are also right near your eyes so even brighter). Later everything will be microLED per pixel emissive but soon high performing VR kits will be all per pixel emissive HDR well before all tvs / pcs. FALD is a clever stop gap solution for now and it works ok, just depends on what you value most tradeoff wise.

All screens will fail some of the HDR lighting levels + blooming tests you can find online, on youtube in HDR for example. ~ 1400nit FALD screens and 2000+ nit FALDs (though those 2k+ ones currently suffer aggressive ABL) will compress the top end less, or not at all depending on the screen and whether it's hdr1000, hdr4000, or hdr10,000 material - but it will fail some of the bloom tests and even when not outright blooming it will be toning and blending all of the large backlight cells, at best a 45x25 "lighting resolution" .. dropping the contrast and black depth in the surrounding zones toning them brighter, and dimming other masses of pixels in large 7000 pixel cell zones and surrounding zone cells of 7k pixels each. On mixed dim/dark scenes, which is most scenes .. while distant meat of the contrasted areas will be dark vs light, the affected zones will result in much less

Tradeoffs either way. No screens will "pass" all of those kind of tests in total. FALD vs OLED but FALD will get way brighter HDR peaks and have longer sustained. brighter 50% and 100% screen (though most scenes are more mixed than that and scenes are changing dynamically throughout) - while oled will be darkened side by side pixel by pixel next to colorful pixels to a razor's edge. FALD is much brighter and longer sustained but dropped it's lighting resolution from 8million pixels to ~ 1300, and is so non-uniform that sites usually recommend you turn FALD of for doing any sdr desktop work (and back to 1300:1 contrast ratio and the accompany black depths) . . at least currently. FALD has a lot of room to improve so hopefully it will get much higher "lighting resolution" in the future sometime before microLED comes to all enthusiast consumer displays and makes per pixel emissive a standard without large oled's (rather than microOLED's) tradeoffs.

View attachment 553258
There is the dim OLED with bigger tradeoffs when the brightness falls off the chart. OLED loses even more accuracy on both contrast and color in HDR.

Again, you are the same just using SDR sRGB accuracy you don't even understand to cover the inability of OLED. I'm rather amazed to see people want to do CAD jobs now. These floor plans and blueprints must look as colorful as the real world.

The screenshot compression is greatly exaggerating the effect in these images but what he is saying in the closed caption is valid. You can look at the original video for a clearer idea of what is going on. He still gives it high marks because there are big tradeoffs with each tech. I don't think I'd be happy going back to these kinds of tradeoffs going back from per pixel emissive personally. Go with what you value more. It's likely that the highest rated HDR gaming display in 2023 will be a flagship qd-oled again though so it's not like oled isn't a valid set of tradeoffs.

6qhlnnW.jpg

fmy5LPa.jpg

(inhalation auto cc = elevation)
eaLHXHV.jpg

goBhMyR.jpg

obR2Tlj.jpg

(hollowing = haloing)
JkvDkLh.jpg

JE9QyJj.jpg

nyUGznV.jpg

GxzcagS.jpg

The screenshot compression is greatly exaggerating the effect in these images but what he is saying in the closed caption is valid. You can look at the original video for a clearer idea of what is going on. He still gives it high marks because there are big tradeoffs with each tech. I don't think I'd be happy going back to these kinds of tradeoffs going back from per pixel emissive personally. Go with what you value more. It's likely that the highest rated HDR gaming display in 2023 will be a flagship qd-oled again though so it's not like oled isn't a valid set of tradeoffs.

View attachment 553260

View attachment 553261
(inhalation auto cc = elevation)
View attachment 553262

View attachment 553263

View attachment 553264

(hollowing = haloing)
View attachment 553265

View attachment 553266
View attachment 553267

View attachment 553268

Even with blooming the image will still be much more accurate on FALD when OLED brightness falls off the chart.

OLED can only display low APL around 200nits or even lower. That's SDR image. FALD loses some accuracy on very low APL images or test patterns which is an iceberg of HDR or just SDR. OLED loses tons of accuracy on higher range where HDR matters the most.

You won't be able to see better and more realistic HDR images on OLED.

52144327520_9bb8afd81c_o_d.png

Honestly I'm finding this kinda hilarious at this point. I'm just here for the banter, carry on everyone.
So this guy is trolling now. Not only you talk like you've never seen better and you talk like you don't understand images at all.

All this insistence that OLED can only reach 200 nits is honestly a bit misguided.

This is some weapons-grade manipulative projection, my good man.
Funny you still don't understand I always talk about APL 200nits. And most images don't even need 200nits APL to tagger ABL on OLED.

You know, this might be a badly implemented AI.
It seems to have infinite energy to keep posting the same things non sequitur.
The result is alienating the cause its arguing for lol.

They deserve to be ignored too. You've got some strange priorities in life if you're reading this thread and finding it refreshing just because you also don't like OLED.

Just let people use what they like, maybe?
Lol I read all threads on this entire forum not just this one and yea it's nice to read about the different facts, ideas, and opinions about the 2 display techs. I enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously. I don't care what you like, I feel like just don't shove something down everyone's throat, when it's not the right choice for everyone is my stance on it. There are different choices for different situations. I tried the newer model LG Oled last year and while the image quality was good at the same time it wasn't because it was so dim I couldn't appreciate it. I didn't like it at all. Wasn't enjoyable for me to watch it. It's nice to see that I am correct when I say it's too dim for me So when all these people say OLED it's better, it's better for them sure but for me mini led is much better as I enjoy watching it more lol. It's not a pissing contest. I tried them both and now have 2 mini led displays and wouldn't take an OLED for either of them.

You know, this might be a badly implemented AI.
It seems to have infinite energy to keep posting the same things non sequitur.
The result is alienating the cause its arguing for lol.
Talk like this doesn't even cost me a second. It's you guys lose the ground in the first place when you try to speak against some simple truth you don't know lol.

Lol I read all threads on this entire forum not just this one and yea it's nice to read about the different facts, ideas, and opinions about the 2 display techs. I enjoy it. Don't take it too seriously. I don't care what you like, I feel like just don't shove something down everyone's throat, when it's not the right choice for everyone is my stance on it. There are different choices for different situations. I tried the newer model LG Oled last year and while the image quality was good at the same time it wasn't because it was so dim I couldn't appreciate it. I didn't like it at all. Wasn't enjoyable for me to watch it. It's nice to see that I am correct when I say it's too dim for me So when all these people say OLED it's better, it's better for them sure but for me mini led is much better as I enjoy watching it more lol. It's not a pissing contest. I tried them both and now have 2 mini led displays and wouldn't take an OLED for either of them.
Uhh and that is exactly what he is doing? People have already said that FALD isn't the right choice for them compared to OLED and who comes in to shove FALD down their throats as being sooooo superior? I have both an OLED and MiniLED myself and I am choosing to main the MiniLED screen for all my gaming atm so no don't even try to write me off as a typical OLED shill, but I don't find anything "refreshing" or nice about this discussion. It's filled with more personal attacks more than anything.

Uhh and that is exactly what he is doing? People have already said that FALD isn't the right choice for them compared to OLED and who comes in to shove FALD down their throats as being sooooo superior? I have both an OLED and MiniLED myself and I am choosing to main the MiniLED screen for all my gaming atm so no don't even try to write me off as a typical OLED shill, but I don't find anything "refreshing" or nice about this discussion. It's filled with more personal attacks more than anything.
How many people said that in this thread? Like 2 or 3 who prefer OLED? Yet they don't even understand what's a better image or what is an accurate image.

You choose whatever you want. It's your business. But don't spread misinformation that OLED looks better in most cases. OLED is going to get wrecked in HDR.

The topic is about why OLED for PC use. There are billions of PCs. It will be lucky for OLED to cover even 5% with worse images.

How many people said that in this thread? Like 2 or 3 who prefer OLED? Yet they don't even understand what's a better image or what is an accurate image.

You choose whatever you want. It's your business. But don't spread misinformation that OLED looks better in most cases. OLED is going to get wrecked in HDR.

The topic is about why OLED for PC use. There are billions of PCs. It will be lucky for OLED to cover even 5% with worse images.

It doesn't matter how many people say they prefer OLED, if even a single person says they prefer OLED then just leave them to it. If someone prefers a CRT, DLP, Plasma, or a Projector I'm not going to tell them that they can "see better images" with a FALD instead.🙄

It doesn't matter how many people say they prefer OLED, if even a single person says they prefer OLED then just leave them to it. If someone prefers a CRT, DLP, Plasma, or a Projector I'm not going to tell them that they can "see better images" with a FALD instead.🙄
It's your own business to choose whatever you like. It is your preference. But if you tell me OLED looks better of course I say it isn't. OLED only looks better for them for their limited usage.

Funny there must be so much HDR in this picture. Look at what OLED can display. A few pathetic dots.

I guess I was just paying attention to people's perspective not much else. I don't take any of this too seriously it's tech stuff for me it's fun and I'm happy with my hardware. Typically OLED users act all high and mighty, that's what I've noticed more.

Oled fanboys have been invading and derailing display discussions for the past 5 years+ so I'm quite enjoying the payback that kramnelis is dishing.

And to be honest I understand where he is coming from. I wouldn't want to give away a single nit of my Aorus FV43U.

Oled fanboys have been invading and derailing display discussions for the past 5 years+ so I'm quite enjoying the payback that kramnelis is dishing.

And to be honest I understand where he is coming from. I wouldn't want to give away a single nit of my Aorus FV43U.

Sure, until he starts clowning on you too for not having FALD lol.

Sure, until he starts clowning on you too for not having FALD lol.
You are deserved to be slashed at some words when you don't understand HDR then chose not to see better images 3 years ahead of everybody.

Aren't you the one bought then returned miniLED like PG32UQX? Now you bought the lesser X32FP or 32M2V to see similar 3 years later?

You are deserved to be slashed at some words when you don't understand HDR then chose not to see better images 3 years ahead of everybody.

Aren't you the one bought then returned miniLED like PG32UQX? Now you bought the lesser X32FP or 32M2V to see similar 3 years later?

I returned it because I have patience to wait for something similar at a lower cost, and also had an X27 to hold me over. Geez even your own fellow MiniLED users come under friendly fire from you lol.

This thread is quite funny, yep. Maybe Comedy Central will pick it up if you go for long enough.
What is more funny? It doesn't take me a second to pull out some truth. But It will take years for you to accept it.

I returned it because I have patience to wait for something similar at a lower cost, and also had an X27 to hold me over. Geez even your own fellow MiniLED users come under friendly fire from you lol.

You're just not following the exact strain of FALD religion, you see!

But It will take years for you to accept it.

I don't know what I'm being forced to accept. I'm plenty happy with the mini LED, HDR display I have. I'm not migrating to OLED any time soon. And yet you're still not happy. You sound quite angry, in fact.

It's not about preference. It's about seeing better. I never shill on miniLED. It is bond to have better images than OLED. But you waited 3 years to see similar images while seeing worse in the past.

I don't know what I'm being forced to accept. I'm plenty happy with the mini LED, HDR display I have. I'm not migrating to OLED any time soon. And yet you're still not happy. You sound quite angry, in fact.
Eyes can see a lot more. It's never enough. But it's you want to see worse anyway.

This is precisely what the poster you're "refreshed" by is doing - shoving an opinion on display tech down people's throats. Over and over.
But for every 1 Kramnelis there is 100 freshly spawned OLED soldiers shoving OLED down our throats? 😀

Back