Why, OC God, why?

I've read that the torture test can be more tortuous when restricting the amount of memory it can use to a small amount... like 8MB or so... I think I read that somewhere on their forums... YMMV

Originally posted by PrkChpXprss
I think it's the temps. I also have a CoolerMaster WaveMaster
//// Watercooling, here I come!:p

F_ck the wavemaster. Damn thing should be called Heat Master. I love the looks of that thing and its the only reason my current rig sits in it. I need to drill a proper intake hole on the side panel near the CPU. I had one drilled when it was ordered and they placed it over the last few PCI slots. WTF?!?! I ordered mine from Performance-PCS.com by the way. I was able to run my CPU at 52c LOAD in my old Enermax case but now its like 50c during moderate use and in the upper 50's during gaming. How crappy is that? I can run at 2.4ghz but I don't like the temps. Its definately affecting my FSB and video card overclocking because there isn't any cool air blowing on those components. I also don't notice much airflow from those two intake fans in the front of the case. I don't believe they are doing anything for my Raptors as far as cooling which don't seem to run too hot anyway. I took a gamble with this case because no one really posted any useful information about it. I don't think I really got my money's worth. It's a pretty case but a hot one. I'll post some results when I get that new intake hole drilled and fan installed.

Originally posted by Cardboard Hammer
The source is available, so anyone who wants to call it "crap" can feel free to check it for bugs.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=stable

"Not subject to sudden or extreme change or fluctuation" is a bit arbitrary, and an argument could be made in either direction, but "Consistently dependable" is not characteristic of a computer that performs sporadic (one could, I suppose, claim that if one could consistently depend on it to produce incorrect results, it would then meet this definition of "stable" :rolleyes: ) faulty math.

A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me,
and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?"

or

"We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot
I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error.
You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid
school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS.
But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal
the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as
these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem,
then the machines will continue to be stable.

Originally posted by DeRailur
A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me,
and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?"

or

"We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot
I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error.
You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid
school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS.
But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal
the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as
these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem,
then the machines will continue to be stable.

are you positive these people you pulled off the readme file that THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS..are you POSITIVE ON THAT
cause someone else on these fourms http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=737871
had a SOFTWARE PROBLEM.....so you are wrong sir.. software does effect prime.

For the last god damn time, if Prime 95 fails, your computer is not 100% error free/stable.

Properly installed computer running at stock speed will always pass prime. No matter what. When you overclock and prime fails, using simple logic, you can deduce that since prime failed, then your computer is not 100% stable.

Now whether you want that 99.5% stability or 100% is up to you. You can claim you have a 3.5ghz P4 but when that shit locks up or turns in bad numbers to F@H etc, it sure isn't a 3.5ghz P4 in my book and many others.

Rip, it doesn't matter if it is hardware or software. Either way, the computer is broken. Software or hardware, it does NOT function correctly. Period. End of discussion.

Now, you may be running something (games, web server, etc) that don't depend on the ability to do complex math correctly. In that case, yes, your system is "stable" and you won't exhibit any strange things. But, if you're folding, or running seti, you're running something that depends on complex mathmatics, and you're returning wrong results.

Originally posted by pduan87
For the last god damn time, if Prime 95 fails, your computer is not 100% error free/stable.

Properly installed computer running at stock speed will always pass prime. No matter what. When you overclock and prime fails, using simple logic, you can deduce that since prime failed, then your computer is not 100% stable.

Now whether you want that 99.5% stability or 100% is up to you. You can claim you have a 3.5ghz P4 but when that shit locks up or turns in bad numbers to F@H etc, it sure isn't a 3.5ghz P4 in my book and many others.

Unless you have a software problem, in which case your computer is broken at stock speeds.

Either way, you're broken.

Originally posted by Techmasta
Why is it that the people who say prime95 is crap can't run it without errors?

Because it kicked them in the nuts and said "no you!" to their OC(aka egos).

so you are wrong sir.. software does effect prime.

They admit that possibility in the documentation. Read it.

I swore I'd stay out of this thread but I'm drunk so sue me.

Originally posted by [RIP]Zeus
are you positive these people you pulled off the readme file that THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS..are you POSITIVE ON THAT
cause someone else on these fourms http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=737871
had a SOFTWARE PROBLEM.....so you are wrong sir.. software does effect prime.
No, I was pointing out the fact that the readme says "the machines are quite stable" *Did you see that it was in bold? Or were you too busy thinking of your response?

I love it. I friggin love it. Keep getting worked up over a program. Please please please. In a couple days when this thread goes off the first page Im gonna dig it up again and say something negative about Prime95 just to get you all worked up again.

DeRailur, you're projecting and it's kinda sad. :)

I think it's time for both sides to throw down their weapons and have a group hug. We'll shut up if you guys stay off peer to peer networks and distributed computing projects.

Originally posted by MetalX

In the psychological sense?

In the sense that I am scheming?

In the sense that I am predicting?

Or another sense?

Please expound....

In the psychological sense?

In the sense that I am scheming?

In the sense that I am predicting?

Or another sense?

Please expound....

Go back to dictionary.com where you just were and look up the definition in reference to its use in Psychology. In the mean time I'll be going to bed.

I am actually quite a word wizard, that was from memory. Although dictionaries are quite good guides when you are unsure of the meaning of a word, that's why they have them :)

Originally posted by B1zz
2.4Ghz is rare? wow u make me feel a little better now ^.^

im running 12x200 as we speak...
yay for me, and 2270 is by no means "slow" bro...i would back off on the FSB and raise the multi and see what you get tho...

hrm, i wonder if a SLK-900 on this badboy would get me 2.5? hrmmmmm...;p :D

900 SLK huh...I think I know just the place to get one, and it has a 92mm thermaltake fan ;) ;).

I'll sell you mine for oh, say 25$? it's the clip on, 900a. beastly thing, but keeps my rig around 42/50 idle/load.

I'm going to water cool my rig, so I doubt I'll need teh hs or fan. the fans rpms are around 2700 and cfm is around 55

Really...... I thought that REALLY was all the math being done by my computer when I game. As I said before, if you want Prime95 stable, go on with your bad self. And BTW, Prime95 doesn't crash my system, but when I have my clock up at the limits of what my computer can function at, it does fail it.

Thanks for resorting to name calling and flaming. But if you really feel sorry for other people being subjected to my post, why did you feel it necessary to quote me? I ran the numbers through my PC and it determined that there are now 2.1x more chances of someone reading my post now. But the real killer is this, I use my computer's ability to determine a frag count as a stability test! Classic, thank you for making my day guy. Please quote me again so that I can see what other nonsense you can come up with to flame me. Try a little bit harder next time though, I want some profanity!

Who would have thought that Prime95 would have caused such a rift here? If my ego and sense of worthfulness hinged on the stability of my computer, then by I would probably be underclocking. But Im only concerned with my framrates in games, so once again, Prime95 stability isn't a concern of mine. Now Im off to test my system's stability with windows calculator! I hope that 2+2=4!!!!

lol...
seriously though, don't run folding if you can't run prime. You are skewing results with a cpu that calculates incorrectly.

now I know you know this, but when it comes down to it, everything, EVERYTHING, your computer does is based off of math. If it isn't doing the math correctly, then your system has some problems, overclocked or not. THE END!

Found this is another thread, thought I'd share it here for all to see.

Make false claims about P95, then we'll butt heads.
LMFAO!! "Dont be talkin about my prime man!!" Im sorry but I have to say, you are an absolute butt dart weenie for making that statement.

Meat, I dont run SETI or Folding or any other DC proggy for that matter. They didn't help me pay for jack, so Im not giving up my clock cycles to them, or anyone!!!

I think it's time for both sides to throw down their weapons and have a group hug. We'll shut up if you guys stay off peer to peer networks and distributed computing projects.

its a deal (but then, im on 56k and don't do that anyway)

Found this is another thread, thought I'd share it here for all to see.

LMFAO!! "Dont be talkin about my prime man!!" Im sorry but I have to say, you are an absolute butt dart weenie for making that statement.

Meat, I dont run SETI or Folding or any other DC proggy for that matter. They didn't help me pay for jack, so Im not giving up my clock cycles to them, or anyone!!!

I don't remember posting that projecting comment last night but I burned your ass good so I think we're even now. And the dictionary thing....I amuse myself sometimes. :p

Hell, I don't relly care about the p2p, just the DC stuff.

Back