Why no hype for Skyward Sword?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 29, 2008
Messages
5,323
The new Zelda game is only 11 days away but there's little talk about it.

I'm really looking forward to it. I played TP for awhile but I got bored and stopped at the area with the desert. This looks more to my liking though.
 
I've always enjoyed every Zelda going back to my childhood, but to be honest I haven't touched the Wii in ages. It's been packed away in boxes, and I can't really be bothered at this point.

There are way too many good games on PC to spend the time or money.
 
From the snippets released, Skyway Sword is supposed to meet or even be better than Ocarina.
 
It looks like it will be quite good from what people are saying about it. Might have to bust out the swiffers on that wii.
 
Cause too many people on here think they are too [H] for Nintendo. Just kidding.....riiiiiiiiight

I was hyped for this after e3, but for some reason just haven't been following it. I'm actually more excited for the Mario 3D Land release, to be honest. Zelda will get perfects, stay the same price, and still be sold everywhere, if I dont play it now. There's 6 games I want, all releasing this month.... Real life and work, I dont have enough time to play a Zelda game, or anything like an RPG now.

Maybe I'll get it, after Xenoblade comes out................................................................................. :mad:
 
I agree, the Wii is a piece of shit, if they had released it for the PS3, then it would be a far better game.
 
I'm pretty cool with the lack of hype. I actually forgot it was coming out this soon. It's been a damn long time since I've popped in a game---either console or PC---without at least a few minor plot spoilers from watching trailers and a pretty good idea of what I'm in for. I may save it for the week off I have at the end of the year. Maybe.
 
Today I heard a rumor they are remaking A Link to the Past or a game like it for 3DS.

I am a DIEHARD Zelda fan and I am sure I will end up totally immersed in this game. Having said that, I have NEVER been less excited for a Zelda title. The problem is that no matter how great the game is, the graphical resolution of the Wii is just so far behind at this point that I have a hard time getting pysched up. The fact is, as a great a game as this may be, this is a game from a whole other generation of games--the standard definition television era of gaming. It is a game that, for all intents and purposes, is not really compatible with a large screen television. So the launch is bitter sweet. I don't even HAVE a suitable television anymore. I had small SD screens in my house for Twilight Princess, now all I have is large HD screens and it makes the games look just plain bad.

Edit: I did preorder the gold controller combo, however. ;-)
 
LOL i gotta admit im 37 years old and own just about over 20 consoles ( of course wii, PS3, Xbox 360 ) and the most fun that ive had with my Family and Friends is on the Wii. Now when i want FPS or MMO im on my PC, Use the Xbox and PS3 for online and some exclusives.
 
It's probably because the Wii is a piece of shit.

Pretty much this. I've enjoyed most the previous Zelda titles a lot, if Nintendo didn't decide to release a heap of crap reskinned gamecube with a worse control system, I'd be interested in this one too. The Wii is the first Nintendo console I haven't owned since the NES which my parents bought for us when we were kids (excluding hand helds, not really a fan of hand helds :p).
 
You guys realise you can play wii games with the dolphin emulator at 1080p with x8 anti aliasing. Because the cell shaded/painted art style of the new zelda it actually looks really good with the resolution bumped up in comparison to a realistic game that needs high reso textures to go with it.

I currently tried out the Skyward sword demo on the emulator and I thought the motion plus controls were spot on and was a great change of pace from the other zeldas.
 
wii is fun for the simple games..

I have a wii but havent touched it since we bought a HD LCD tv.. There is input lag which kills the system for me and the wiimote.
 
Honestly the momentum for the Wii has slowed so drastically in recent times (with the exception of a work out game and a dancing game) that most if not all Wii games rarely find the kind of hype they use to gather.

Zelda is a fantastic series but now with the Wii-U around the corner (sometime next year) people aren't as willing to drop some serious bones on a Wii collection.

I will be buying Zelda after I'm done with Skyrim (however long that will be..) and I still love the series fiercely.
 
I agree, the Wii is a piece of shit, if they had released it for the PS3, then it would be a far better game.

Pretty much this. I would be all over the Mario/Zelda games if they weren't released on such a shitty system based on crappy control mechanisms. I've always been a Nintendo fan, but with the Wii... no.
 
I think we are all confused. Is it a REAL zelda game, or is it one of those 'side-Zeldas'? I don't want to waste my time with a 'kinda Zelda'

Real Zelda:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess

Side Zelda:

Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Minish Cap

Where does it fit in!?
 
Pretty much this. I would be all over the Mario/Zelda games if they weren't released on such a shitty system based on crappy control mechanisms. I've always been a Nintendo fan, but with the Wii... no.
This right here yonder ways.
 
I think we are all confused. Is it a REAL zelda game, or is it one of those 'side-Zeldas'? I don't want to waste my time with a 'kinda Zelda'

Real Zelda:

Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Twilight Princess

Side Zelda:

Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Minish Cap

Where does it fit in!?
Your distinction makes no sense, so it's hard to answer the question.

Anyway, I'm really pumped about this game. Everything I've seen looks excellent and I think within 10 minutes it'll be easy to forget about jaggies and textures if the gameplay and story are as solid as people are saying. And frankly with more and more bad news coming out about ME3, I'm more excited about SS than ever.
 
Real Zelda:

Start as peaceful villager
Shit gets f*****d up
Fight Ganon
Save the princess

Side Zelda:

Everything else.
 
That's exactly the plot of Wind Waker. :p

I for one am happy that Ganon will not be in this game. Talk about a tired mechanic. It looked like TP was going to be that way but then they went loopy with Zant.

And you are of course welcome to your opinion, but Majora's Mask is an excellent game. My favorite in the entire series. No other Zelda game has had the emotional depth or character development that MM had.
 
I Love Majora's mask for those reasons as well, but I will never consider it a 'Real Zelda'. (I'm currently running through MM on emulator for the third or fourth time and loving it.) But Wind-Waker just could not grab my attention, especially because I was hoping to get Twilight Princess, instead I got a saturday morning cartoon featuring one of the elves from a Christmas special. It would be like if Half-Life 3 was announced and looked like this.

But in truth, Skyward looks to be something entirely new: which is why I can't get my head around it.
 
Haha... that's a Half-Life my nephews could play. ;)

I loved Wind Waker's graphics style personally and I think it holds up well to this day. And gameplay wise I think it's better in general than Twilight Princess. Still, I would rank it 4th of the 3d console Zeldas, simply because the last fourth of the game was a boring grind.
 
There are a lot of awesome games on the Wii. I don't know why so many people dismiss it so readily. It's funny, people will spend $500 on video cards to play PC games but don't want to spend $150 on a console that has a ton of games that simply aren't available anywhere else. Super Mario Galaxy was one of the most fun games I have played, ever, and it's a Wii exclusive.

Hating on Nintendo doesn't make you cool.
 
I got a lot of good playtime out of my Wii (teehee!), and I will likely be giving SS a shot. Though I am ashamed to say I never really finished Twilight Princess...
 
I guess its almost time to dust off the Wii, Its going to be hard to go back to the Wii graphics after playing BF3 on Ultra. :(
 
If it works in Dolphin (my Wii is dead and will stay dead) I will get it at some point, maybe. Zelda games have been good, always, but since Wii was such a sellout POS I just couldnt be arsed to be exited what happens on that console. Really, the only truly good games on that console can be counted with fingers of one hand, two if you count Metroid Prime Collection as three separate games and two of those were played to death on Gamecube already...
 
Last edited:
I guess I'm in the minority because I don't give a shit what the graphics look like provided the game is fun and keeps my attention. Skyward Sword will be one of those just like every Zelda before it.
 
I guess I'm in the minority because I don't give a shit what the graphics look like provided the game is fun and keeps my attention. Skyward Sword will be one of those just like every Zelda before it.

I will definitely still play it no matter how horrible the graphics are, but wouldn't it be better in 1080p?
 
From Wiki...

Skyward Sword has received critical acclaim. Skyward Sword's first review, from ONM on October 20, scored 98%, making it the highest-rated Wii game and tied with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D as the highest-rated overall game from the magazine, praising the title as the "best Zelda game ever made". A day later, Edge gave the game 10/10. Edge's review said "How apt that this ultimate tale of heromaking should see Nintendo’s hardware become the console it was always meant to be", describing it as "a game made for Christmas Day, released an agonising six weeks before". GamesTM gave the game a 9/10, and said "Spellbinding, dramatic and absolutely epic in both the world it paints and the story it tells, Zelda: Skyward Sword is a hugely important event for the Wii, for Nintendo, and for anyone with even a passing love for the venerable series it celebrates." GameInformer said "Skyward Sword is one of those rare treasures, a 10/10 game."
 
I will definitely still play it no matter how horrible the graphics are, but wouldn't it be better in 1080p?

That's just it though...i really don't give a shit when it comes to video games. I still constantly power on the Wii just to run through the original Zelda again or Zelda 64 because they kick ass. Not because they're pretty. Same with old Final Fantasy games. I don't have a PS3, so no FF13 yet for me, but I'll gladly fire up my PS2 and throw in FF7, FF8, and FFX any day of the week.
 
the wii is awesome if you have friends. people that hate on the system are well.... probably very unlikable. i've always got parties going on at my place and when you have like 30 to 50 people drinking, bullshitting, and playing wii it can be a ton of fun.

hate the wii? get some friends!
 
dont own a wii, might buy one this xmas if i find a good sale, realy would like to play this though
 
That's just it though...i really don't give a shit when it comes to video games. I still constantly power on the Wii just to run through the original Zelda again or Zelda 64 because they kick ass. Not because they're pretty. Same with old Final Fantasy games. I don't have a PS3, so no FF13 yet for me, but I'll gladly fire up my PS2 and throw in FF7, FF8, and FFX any day of the week.

That philosophy you have is pretty awesome, stick with that. Going back to the old classics is great if you can stomach the dated graphics.

BTW, good job on missing out on FF13, it's best to forget that game even exists, it sucks compared to every other FF game out there, even FF Mystic Quest is better than FF13, and that's saying something.

For the record, it's Xenogears > FFX > FF7 > FF6 > FF9 > FF8 for me.
 
Why are people saying skyward sword 'looks like crap'? From the screenshots, it looks awesome. The visuals aren't 'advanced', but the artistic direction is great and the assets are cohesive.
 
Back
Top