Why I am Dumping Firefox

Always go back and forth on FF and Chrome, one version generally speaking has the upper hand. Lately FF has been faster then Chrome, so guess right now I'm using FF.

Opera anyone? This is the only browser for me aside from having to use 32-bit IE9 for Netflix :(

Love opera and it is the best browser out ........ but it still is missing a live bookmark feature :(

FF 4.0 with 22 tabs of various content up is using 700mb and 215mb or the plugin container

:D

m5NSm.png

Yes, competition drives development.

I agree that we need competition and there is Internet Explorer as the closed option, and then Chrome and Firefox as the open options. The problem is that IE is always going to linger around the 30-50% share from people who know no better, and the more the other 50-70% is carved up, the more fragmented it's projects are likely to be.

I'm not sure you can say that Chrome is any more secure than FF unless you're worried about rogue extensions. I'd give it a maybe on efficiency; Chrome uses less memory than FF for me with one or two tabs open but once I start piling tabs in they're both pretty similar. FF is more stable for me than Chrome; I can't even remember the last time FF crashed on me.

Chrome is sandboxed and thus more secure. No doubt there are exploits within Chrome just as within Firefox, but they then have to exploit the sandbox as well.

As for stability I have no issue with it, but the people here posting images of it chewing up 1-2gb of ram and complaints of sluggishness suggest there are issues, though I suspect largely from extensions.

Chrome is pretty overrated imo and using a browser made by an ad company seems a little stupid to me.

Chrome is pretty overrated imo and using a browser made by an ad company seems a little stupid to me.
Really? Why is that? They don't ship any ads to me, and with the 2-3 add-ons I'm using, some provided BY THEM, I don't get any ads except on the sites I want to support.

Really? Why is that? They don't ship any ads to me, and with the 2-3 add-ons I'm using, some provided BY THEM, I don't get any ads except on the sites I want to support.

You do realize that chrome tracks your browsing, right? Free spyware!

I use all three browsers regularly and I dont' notice much of a difference at all. I sync my bookmarks to all using Xmarks and other than the UI colors, nothing really seems different. They are all blazing fast and stable.

One thing I LOVE about Chrome is how you can sync history, favorites and themes easily. Although using IE9, its default theme is nice and unobtrusive.

Opera is my main browser. No other browser has mouse gestures, which I think is fucking stupid, cause its damn natural and your hand doesn't cramp from surfing for hours. I find it nonsense that Chrome gets all this praise and Opera is a faster browser with better features. Firefox is bloated, comparatively to Opera, so I don't use it. If the need arises, IE9 is installed.

Opera is my main browser. No other browser has mouse gestures, which I think is fucking stupid, cause its damn natural and your hand doesn't cramp from surfing for hours. I find it nonsense that Chrome gets all this praise and Opera is a faster browser with better features. Firefox is bloated, comparatively to Opera, so I don't use it. If the need arises, IE9 is installed.

I think every browser has support for mouse gestures with extensions, I know IE 9 does with IE7Pro, they REALLY need to change that name.

I think every browser has support for mouse gestures with extensions, I know IE 9 does with IE7Pro, they REALLY need to change that name.

The problem is that they are not built in and on by default. You have to get another version of the browser or get extentions or plugins, etc.

The other day I installed Opera on a new computer and it came out configured perfectly right away. I don't know how they did it. There must be some new cloud thing that saves my entire browser down to layout and skins.

Firefox is so last year, that I'd be embarrassed if someone saw me using it...

And ofc Opera is the most feature packed, #1 browser no doubt or I'll kill u but,...

It is substantially slower on some of the pages I visit. And it is kinda pigish with RAM, although that shouldn't be a biggie.

Anyway... were there many sweet tears of a crushing defeat by FF folks in this thread??

The problem is that they are not built in and on by default. You have to get another version of the browser or get extentions or plugins, etc.

The other day I installed Opera on a new computer and it came out configured perfectly right away. I don't know how they did it. There must be some new cloud thing that saves my entire browser down to layout and skins.

Sure, this is another reason.
Paste and go, cut/copy and paste option, the tab previews I can move all around, mouse gestures, searching various website from the address bar
(since 9.0), etc, etc.

Meh, Chrome. Meh, Firefox.
Opera blows you away.

Is it just me, or does FF4, in its menu-less form, lack a "check for updates" button?

i still love my firefox

chrome is nice but just love firefox lol

I used to be able to go a week without restarting my browser in Firefox 3, but Firefox 4 is up to 2 GB every morning when I get into work. That's with a measly 4 tabs open. However, I blame extensions more than the browser itself.

Even with Firefox being the memory hog that it is, I prefer it over Chrome and IE9. I can't live without my extensions.

I have FF4 open with 4 tabs right now and it is using 194,616k and I have 4 plugins installed. I don't see any issue and FF4 has never crashed on me yet. I can only surmise it is certain plugins that cause the issue and not FF itself. The great plugin support is the main reason I use FF and won't be switching anytime soon.

Yeah same here. About the only annoying thing about Firefox is it takes 20+ seconds to fire up on cold boot. After that it runs and loads fine.

I have that issue on XP with single core cpu and 2gb or ram but on Win7 with 4 core cpu and 8gb of ram it opens almost instantly from a cold start. Even on the XP system though FF4 opens a lot quicker than FF3 did.

It's not a 512MB machine, folks. It's 1GB as I noted earlier, look at the pic:

dumpingfirefox01.jpg

Note the first 10 apps or so, that's about ~500MB of RAM usage just for those alone, and he's got 78 processes going to make up the rest, and it's showing 54% Physical Memory in use... so it's a 1GB box, perhaps even 1.25GB maybe.

Funny, sure. Sad, most definitely. :D

Sad.

Suck it up and get with the times. This is a LIGHT workload on my dev box. (16GB ram)
ff_ram.jpg

typically during the day I will have 4+ devenv.exe's running (VS 2010) and ~4 javaw instances (admin tool for IBM Lobbardi) + Firefox + Crap; USING 7-9GB of ram.

Sad.

Suck it up and get with the times. This is a LIGHT workload on my dev box. (16GB ram)
ff_ram.jpg

typically during the day I will have 4+ devenv.exe's running (VS 2010) and ~4 javaw instances (admin tool for IBM Lobbardi) + Firefox + Crap; USING 7-9GB of ram.

BTW ^^ box is running the nightly builds (FF 8.0a1)

I've never had difficulty with Firefox taking up "too much" memory, in relation to what I do. I run on a 6gb tri-channel DDR3 1600 box, primarily. I've never felt as though having Firefox around has slowed me down, even when I was running on 2 and 4gb. On average, my Firefox 5 install does run about 250-400k, but I leave the damn thing open a lot and have a significant amount of plugins, including stuff like Greasemonkey, AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Ghostery, Personas, Sync, FlashGot, Download Statusbar, Stylish etc... that I assume put a nontrivial amount of additional workload on Firefox, but it doesn't seem to bat an eye. Sure, my main rig is far from a "normal' PC, but even on my old 2gb Pentium M laptop that runs Linux exclusively, Firefox runs just fine and doesn't seem to impede anything else.

Even if Firefox was noticeably slower, I'd still use it because I value the ideals and ethics it embodies - its open source and created by those who are in the market of making fabulous net-focused applications. The alternative is Chrome and everyone is going ga-ga over it, but if we consider that their "ad block" doesn't really block ads...because Google is an advertising-focused company, we have a conflict of interest. There was a time when I'd trust Google that they really wouldn't "Do Evil", but as of late I've seen some pretty considerable privacy issues open up in the last 2-3 years. I don't want Google to have a direct line into my PC that gives them the ability to know EVERYTHING I browse, even when I'm not using their services. Chrome includes a number of "neat" features that of course requires you to fully activate google tracking to use (ie. Translate), and I'm watching the future of Chromium and wondering how far it will diverge from having the "cool" featureset of Chrome. I don't doubt that as a browser Chrome is nice, but it does lack many of the customization features of Firefox and top notch addons, instead offering the appearance of choice but always strongly directed to its business practice. (ie how blocking addons work differently and let google-ads and bots through by default) Its as if Firefox gives you the bricks and mortar to build the browser you want, but Chrome gives pictures of bricks and a selection of approved frames to hang them within.

Mayhap things are changing, I've not kept up with Chrome, but for the time being I'm happy with Firefox and i don't see anything available on the same level.

I usually run 3 separate Firefox profiles at a time, each one uses between 700-1400MB of memory. Do I mind? No. Memory is bought to be used, ya don't buy a mansion and only put a couch in it. :D

I've been using Chrome for about a year. I don't intend to go back to Firefox anytime soon.

This was bumped to show that your firefox instance was using 100mb more ram? Oh the horror. Still not any more ram than Chrome uses, its usage is just split across multiple processes.

Memory usage is appropriate, unless I have Firebug enabled. That plugin consumes 50% more memory than FF alone.

I'm not dumping FF. And why should I? For IE8? Or the privacy disease that is Chrome? LOL

FF is not better than the latest IE by enough to bother installing it on new builds for me. I still use it on only one of my computers. That's only because I have not bothered to remove it. Nothing against it, but the things about IE I did not like are now in FF and the things I liked from FF are now in IE. Why bother with FF?

I use Chrome but besides Bookmark syncing, IE9 works just as well as far as I am concerned. I am sure FF does as well.

I used to be able to go a week without restarting my browser in Firefox 3, but Firefox 4 is up to 2 GB every morning when I get into work. That's with a measly 4 tabs open. However, I blame extensions more than the browser itself.

Even with Firefox being the memory hog that it is, I prefer it over Chrome and IE9. I can't live without my extensions.

You know what, maybe FF should do more testing on the extensions and have some quality and stability standards before they allow them.

I quit using FF over a year ago, I too love the extensions. However when they are viewed as necessary and make the browser unstable or a memory hog then there is a problem.

Chrome has a nice extension library now, and the ones I use don't slow the browser down.

Zarathustra[H];1037173219 said:
Have fun with your virii and malware :p

IE9 has excellent malware and phishing protection through its SmartScreen Filter. And for those who have said that Chrome isn't secure, you obviously don't understand how its sandboxing works. At default settings, IE and Chrome are more secure than Firefox.

FF works great for me on all my computers. But the Android version that i installed on my Droid 3 tends to crash once a week and the only recovery is to reboot the phone. :(

Back